• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2012 Thread: Fail Of The Year

mr stroke

ANH5X.jpg

Who will dethrone last years winner? PSN Hack

PSN-HACKED.png

2011 Results Thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457506

2011 Voting Thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455816

2010 winner--NBA ELITE-

2010 Thread-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416692

2009 winner-PSPGO

2009 Thread-

http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=381644

In the tradition of GOTY, we look at the sad side of gaming. 2012 is about over so what was the years biggest Failure?

Rules

Since many people only play quality titles your vote can be any one game or anything related to the
gaming industry-(38 Studios, PS VITA, Geoff Keighley DoritoGate, NBA Elite canceling, Nintendo Power closing, Wii U launch, Resident Evil 6, etc......)

Only one top vote counts(since the list encompasses everything), everything else will be an honorable mention.

Voting closes 12-29-2012

iNvid02

Y7bow.jpg

x. doritosgate

i guess some good came from both of these in the end though.

x. war-z - still unfolding but its looking really grim

edit: when you have this much choice as to what to include on a fail list of the year, you know something is really wrong

Curt Schilling and whatever the fuck really happened behind the scenes at 38 Studios. He even got on GAF here and made nice until the shit hit the fan. Then everyone lost their jobs. The whole thing was such a shame because Kingdoms of Amalur showed a lot of promise.

BiggNife

The current War Z fiasco, with the company publishing false information and then blaming the customers for "misunderstanding" the completely untrue claims.

NewFresh

Lets see, there were quite a few.

Dorito - Eurogamer- Journalism - Mountain Dew - gate

38 Studios closure
------My Vote goes for this one

Always Online DRM (Diablo III)

Capcom On-Disc DLC

Mass Effect 3 Ending

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'd suggest Diablo III, just because of how incredible the building hype over the last 5+ years was and how basically no-one I know plays it anymore. It just went out with a whimper.

38 Studios was a colossal fail, but it was just another studio closing for the most part. They only released that one game.

I'd go with the Unchartedification of video games. From now on, we should fully expect every new 3rd person action adventure game to be slight variations of Uncharted. It's such a total failure, we would probably be better off with another video game crash.

Pajamas

1. 38 Studios - tons of people laid off, taxpayers of RI to take the brunt of the cost, Kurt Schilling loses all his money.
2. DoritosGate - A blemish on the face of journalistic integrity.
3. Mass Effect 3 Ending - Years of promises by BioWare that your choices matter...well, really don't.

Ooh, lots of candidates. Curiousity was sad, 38 Studios was awful, War Z was shameless, but I'd probably go for CoD Declassified; the expectations that Sony placed on that title, and how slapdash and terrible it ended up being, were just an enormous clusterfuck.

My vote goes to curiosity, it really deserved it.

Ps:
What is exactly the doritosgate?

They mean Florencegate.

Florencegate/Doritosgate is the shameful story of a lack of awareness and ethics around some branches of gaming journalism. Journalists doing PR basically.

Denis Dyack. Its been years in the making, but not only did he destroy his company - he destroyed it in a way that set a new standard of failure. He fell further than anyone else, from Nintendo's partner to beneath rock bottom. He owes millions, and has to destroy all of his company's games. He has been exposed by various previous staff members as being an absurd tyrant whose own wife was the company HR coordinator.

He's a games visionary unable to make games, and forced to destroy ten years of work. No one has failed as much as Dyack has.

Raxus

Assassin's Creed 3 (If you want more specifics then how about the reviews not pointing out how bad the game was)
Doritos-gate
Mass Effect 3 Ending

In that order.

Nert

Man, it's a tough year to settle on just *one*. Objectively, I have to go with 38 Studios. I completely understand the people who go with Doritos-gate, though.

This article does a much better job of describing what happened at 38 Studios than I could.

GAF overreacting about product placement and other stuff.

Nope. If anybody wants a summary of what took place, check out this post.

Dylan

I'm tempted to say Diablo III but I think Resident Evil 6 went above and beyond in destroying what was only recently one of the highest profile franchises in games.

jmls1121

Banned
DoritosGate, as a symbol for gaming medial systematically destroying the industry. These people are about to award ME3, AC3 as their games of the year. They are bad for gamers, and its time we take a stand.

38 Studios was a colossal fail, but it was just another studio closing for the most part. They only released that one game.

I'd go with the Unchartedification of video games. From now on, we should fully expect every new 3rd person action adventure game to be slight variations of Uncharted. It's such a total failure, we would probably be better off with another video game crash.

I disagree.

From start to finish 38 Studios was a fail in the making. I think Curt understood games very very well, but he didn't understand business. It's too bad.

Top Bottom