• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2012 Thread: Fail Of The Year

Durante

#1. Doritosgate

It's for two reasons: the circle the wagons mentality that too many media types swung into when the shit hit the fan as if those doing so were immune to criticism, and the continued erosion of both the trust of the core audience and the relevancy to the generalist audience.

#2. 38 Studios

The sheer amount of money lost and on such a boondoggle of a subgenre (WoW Wanna-be) is staggeringly tragic and stupid.

#3. Anti-Japanese Gaming Mouth Diarrhea As Cheap Heat

Stating the obvious is boring, it's best when done so in the most personal, pig-ignorant way. It doesn't matter if it's during a PR interview about your own game involving seriously-told time-traveling assassin conciences and Ancient Aliens All-Stories or to the face of a man whose career is orders of magnitude longer than yours and who is launching a business in a growing venue in the precense of your peers, attacking Japan's offering with invectives and hyperbole is the new way to add a little spice to your PR campaign that your livelihood depends on.

#4. Mass Effect 3's Ending's Fallout

Rule #1 of devs: Listen to your fans. Do not obey, or even give off that you're supposed to obey them. What do we have here? Them doing just that, to the apparent aftermath. It isn't even about how busted the ending was (despite the planned nature of the trilogy, it felt as if it was written on a cocktail napkin late in February), or even the naked theft of what passed for agency in this series, it was the swerving deperation to appease fans and all the backlash and hightened selective expectations that go along with it.

#5. IndexHoldings/Atlus_JP Region Locking on the PS3

Lost them sales from Europe, the importation from NA to Japan was minute at best, and they go down in history as having had put out a RLed game on one of the last few consoles to avoid doing this. Special note to people tut-tutting boycotters, as if the vast throngs of gamers who don't buy Atlus games out of apathy are beyond similar criticism or that Atlus is beholden to their sales for this one title just because the boycotters are the Faithful.
That's a really nice summary of all the bullshit that went down this year. I had forgotten about the whole Fez developer interview debacle.

1. WiiU-Horrible launch. Bad ports, slow OS, systems selling for less than MSRP on eBay
2. Mass Effect: Deception-awful novel with so many errors it's clear nobody at Bioware bothered to read it before shipping it to the publisher
3. John Koller's marketing efforts for the Vita in North America.

Cookie18

Denis Dyack and the Silicon Knights fiasco. He is a egocentric human being that has hopefully been thrown out of the industry.

That whole saga wins it for me. Especially props for the Kotaku investigation into it that brought it to the forefront of attention.

a special mention from me for atlus/index corp releasing the first region locked game on ps3.

Persona 4 arena

An epic failure that killed a potentially good game

yurinka

Curiosity
Dorito gate + Polygon ethics/Halo pizza/MS funding
38 studios
WarZ
Call of Duty Black Ops:Declassified
WiiU launch issues (OS update, menu speed, etc)
Rockman Xover
Silicon Knights

if we went by dollars, the answer is Zynga BY FAR. That was some $10 billion that evaporated. Of course they never should hag had such a valuation.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Draw Something being purchased by Zynga is a much, much, bigger fail than anything involving soda or corn chips.

But Gaf overreaction is like a snowball being pushed downhill.

solarus

The vita, a year later and it still disappoints. Sold it off, I doubt any miracle is going to happen with it's future lineup and I have no interest in ports or shrunk down console spin off games that no way near match the quality (not referring to graphics here) of their console counterparts.
Runner up: wii u launch. Lol shipping without essential software update, slow os, account locked to system, i could go on and on... It's terrible to feel disappointed in a new nintendo system.

GoodlifeX

How about the Star Wars MMO? It is that considered last year? Or is it just such a fail that we all forgot?

I think we consider that last year since that's when it launched. No one will ever forget the TorTanic.

This year was just littered with fails but I think it goes to Bioware and their handling of Mass Effect 3.

Nilaul

1) Mass Effect 3 Ending: Its still not fixed after being fixed.

2) Vita: Congrats on Sony being stubborn and still supporting it, thankfully.

One big vote for the mess that both new consoles were, with the Wii U taking the shit cake. Having just built a PC, I managed to hold off getting either system... but I don't expect to survive Dragon Quest X if it comes out for Wii U in the U.S.. I can see no other reason why I should buy it since I am fine with playing Bayo 2 at my friend's place. Vita is looking good if it becomes more affordable and getting homebrew. But there is no hope for WII U
nderpowered

Top Bottom