• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2012 Thread: Fail Of The Year

Coxy

Man I totally forgot about one of the biggest fails this year

Atlus region locking Persona 4 Arena and completely fucking european fans with no release date announced even now despite telling them the region locking was fine because it'd only be coming out a week or two later.

Fail of the year: Sony.

And it hurts me to admit it as Sony is probably one of the brands I've the most respect for. When I was young, Sony used to be the top dog with technologically advanced and slick designed products. Look at where they are now... ;_;

PSN hack in 2011, Vita and abysmal line up for end of 2012. Congrats Sony, you failed again in 2012. I hope 2013 will be better though. I'm still onboard with you.

GAF's hypebolic overreaction to the Wii U comes to mind. Hell, look at some of the posts in this very thread. There has been enough over the top hand wringing for three console launches. You'd think it was the Atari Jaguar or something...

Doritosgate was hands down the biggest fail of the year, although it would be remiss to not mention Mass Effect 3's ending; Capcom's on-disc DLC; THQ , 38 Studios and Studio Liverpool dying; Silicon Knights committing suicide; Resident Evil 6, Medal of Honor Warfighter and the Vita falling flat on their faces in terms of sales; WarZ being the latest in a long line of shit games Valve allowed on Steam and ongoing questions about its selection process; Atlus screwing over Persona4Arena at every opportunity and the WiiU being the third bungled games console launch in a row (if the Xbox 3 and the Playstation 4 follow suit in screwing up, the console market will probably be on its death bed).

However, nothing has torn through the industry quite like Doritosgate, a friendly reminder that most games "journalists" are PR stooges. Pretty much the only person involved that got away from that without being covered in PR-approved mud was John Walker (Rab Florence doesn't count, he's a comedian who had a column). Everyone else looked like employees of a PR department. Biggest fail of the year, by two country miles.

Having just had the misfortune of playing through CoD Black Ops 2's campaign, I feel I can't stress enough how much I hated this awful, awful game.

Considering that the CoD franchise started with a series of really thrilling and enjoyable WWII campaigns, it just amazes me to see how the franchise has succumbed to this awful, ugly, muddled, confused and mean-spirited mess that is Black Ops 2. Never have I experienced a story with so many downright unlikeable characters, ranging from obnoxious to just plain hateful. The only saving grace was that they were all trying to kill each other and some of them succeeded.

And did I mention that the violence, no doubt experienced by 10-year-olds everywhere, was ugly and mean-spirited? Because it was.

I know people play these games for the multiplayer, but my God that campaign was offensive in every way.

And I haven't even touched on how the visuals somehow managed to look 5 years old in some places. That was really the least of the game's offences, though.

Having just had the misfortune of playing through CoD Black Ops 2's campaign, I feel I can't stress enough how much I hated this awful, awful game.

Considering that the CoD franchise started with a series of really thrilling and enjoyable WWII campaigns, it just amazes me to see how the franchise has succumbed to this awful, ugly, muddled, confused and mean-spirited mess that is Black Ops 2. Never have I experienced a story with so many downright unlikeable characters, ranging from obnoxious to just plain hateful. The only saving grace was that they were all trying to kill each other and some of them succeeded.

And did I mention that the violence, no doubt experienced by 10-year-olds everywhere, was ugly and mean-spirited? Because it was.

I know people play these games for the multiplayer, but my God that campaign was offensive in every way.

And I haven't even touched on how the visuals somehow managed to look 5 years old in some places. That was really the least of the game's offences, though.
I guess that was the first Call of Duty game you played that was released after World at War? All of them since were like that.

I guess that was the first Call of Duty game you played that was released after World at War? All of them since were like that.

I have, but they never struck me as being as singularly awful as this last one. The series is degenerating rapidly.

Honestly, they'd be better off just creating new multiplayer maps every year for people to run around in and just save us from these modern campaigns. They're just too morally troubling.

Fail of the year: Doritosgate

Video game journalolism finally confirming what most of us suspected was rotten in the industry.

Dishonourable mention: Sony VITA

Sony proving yet again that they do not learn from the exact same mistakes they made previously.

Eric Hall

Winner: The War Z fiasco -- Just a total mess and failure on the part of pretty much everyone involved.

Runner-Up: The Death of 38 Studios -- Sorry Rhode Island

Without a shadow of a doubt I cast my vote solely on Wii-U

- Weak sales
- Weak slow O.S.
- Weak ports
- Weak controller battery life
- Weak pack in game. ( All types of non gaming folk talked about Wii Sports, No one mentions Nintendo Land.)
- Weak launch & near launch titles.
- Weak graphical capability against 6-7 year old Hardware

Wii k-U

Nintendo alienated their fan base for years for the casual dollar, real gamers long since moved on.
Bayonetta 2 won't bring them back....

Nintendo fans really hate the Vita, Seems to me they should hate themselves for the crap they put up with.
What is this source of undying loyalty?
I would rather get gang raped by a multi-colored herd of Yoshi's than buy another Nintendo home console at this point.

It must be a horrible feeling to be a Nintendo fan baby these days.

DSix

Banned
1. ME3 Ending.

It was horrible not only because the ending itself is horrible, but also because it shown the true color of the "gaming press". The vomit-inducing spins on gamer "entitlement" was the last straw for me. Doritos Gate was just expected from there on.

Kade

- Weak sales
- Weak slow O.S.
- Weak ports
- Weak pack in game. ( All types of non gaming folk talked about Wii Sports, No one mentions Nintendo Land.)

Wii k-U

Nintendo alienated their fan base for years for the casual dollar, real gamers long since moved on.

Nintendo fans really hate the Vita, Seems to me they should hate themselves for the crap they put up with.
I would rather get gang rapped by a multi-colored herd of Yoshi's than buy another Nintendo home console at this point.

Wu-Tang Clan are good gang rappers.

massoluk

Banned

- Weak sales
- Weak slow O.S.
- Weak ports

Wii k-U

I would rather get gang raped by a multi-colored herd of Yoshi's than buy another Nintendo home console at this point.

Quality post. No chance of flame.

7threst

The Vita.

How Sony handles their handheld is just... horrible. Such great potential but Sony isn't doing anything.

come on...

prwxv3

- Weak sales
- Weak slow O.S.
- Weak ports

Wii k-U

hahahaha oh wow

NewFresh

- Weak sales
- Weak slow O.S.
- Weak ports

Wii k-U

You could have stated your opinion without insulting others, you know?

fin

My fails of the year.

Wii U: First Nintendo console that I have no interest in. My buddy pre-ordered 2 thinking he'd sell one. It's been on kijiji for a month, even lowered the price to cost, he's going to see if he can return it to the store.

Mass Effect 3 Ending: Such a great game up till the ending. Completely turned me off of the game. I haven't played any DLC for it.

Consoles: With the release of Steam BPM I've been gaming on my PC more than ever. This generation has lasted too long. We need new hardware!

Cheech

Makes no sense to choose the Wii U over the Vita. At least the Wii U is guaranteed a handful of quality games going forward. The Vita may very well be in cutout bins next year.

Persona 4 Arena being region locked

It would have been more tolerable if it had been released at the same time in all territories, but Europe is still waiting, and we're going to wait a long time... only not to buy it! :mad:

Honorable mention: SquareEnix teaser countdowns

Joe Molotov

the wii u and nintendoland

Budget CPU/GPU/RAM/OS
ct2wN.gif

KalBalboa

Banned
Makes no sense to choose the Wii U over the Vita. At least the Wii U is guaranteed a handful of quality games going forward. The Vita may very well be in cutout bins next year.

There are plenty of reasons to say the Wii U is a bigger fail than the Vita in 2012. The Vita's failings are primarily in terms of sheer sales, considering how many games came out for it. The Wii U launch had almost no fanfare and is flat-out embarrassing compared to the launch of the Wii.

It all comes down to your definition of "fail."

I'm not going to say the Wii U. It's too early to say its sales are poor, or its game sales are bad, or its library is weak - all that will come next year. Besides, I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I'm going to say the Wii U OS. This wouldn't have been acceptable for a front end several years ago. In 2012, it's downright embarrassing.

Joe Molotov

Vita has a handful of quality games right now. WiiU has $60 downports of $20 games.

It's a late entrant but WarZ Whatever-the-name-will-have-to-be-changed-toZ takes the prize. It seems like Hammer Interactive released it the way they did to dupe as many people as possible into getting the game so they could make off the cash but it looks like the backfire will deservedly hurt them in the long run.

Kerub

Banned

- Weak sales
- Weak slow O.S.
- Weak ports

Wii k-U

LOL projecting much?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Okay, I know there was that picture of Geoff, but is there a rundown of what exactly DoritosGate entails to provoke such outrage?

EDIT: nvm. Dug through thread.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

The Vita is a wonderful system with great games. It's only a business failure in terms of marketing/pricing. The WiiU is a fundamentally badly designed system with weak ports for the time being. The portability of the controller is the only real star there. Buying it because you want to play Mario 27 and Zelda 14 doesn't change that.

mujun

The Vita is a wonderful system with great games. It's only a business failure in terms of marketing/pricing. The WiiU is a fundamentally badly designed system with weak ports for the time being. The portability of the controller is the only real star there. Buying it because you want to play Mario 27 and Zelda 14 doesn't change that.

People complain when you write the Vita off after only a year and here we have people writing the Wii U off after a month.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
People complain when you write the Vita off after only a year and here we have people writing the Wii U off after a month.

Da fuq. Where did I write the WiiU off. I even specifically used the phrase "for the time being" to not simply wave the thing off a month after release. But others have already written laundry lists of all the weak points of the WiiU, and this is a failure thread where we're going to discuss those points. Keep thinkin what ya thinkin though.

mujun

Da fuq. Where did I write the WiiU off. I even specifically used the phrase "for the time being" to not simply wave the thing off a month after release. But others have already written laundry lists of all the weak points of the WiiU, and this is a failure thread where we're going to discuss those points. Keep thinkin what ya thinkin though.

Sounded like you were writing it off to me. And I should keep thinking what I'm thinking after you attempt to clarify? Great way to have some discussion.

Top Bottom