• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2012 Thread: Fail Of The Year

Majmun

I don't get the Wii U and Vita mentions...

Both are good platforms. Sure, they might be struggling here and there, but I wouldn't nominate them in the year with: Doritos Eurogamer fiasco and the current WarZ disaster.

Both are worse IMO.

But I pick WarZ

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Mass effect 3 ending

what happened with war z?

Toki767

In the wake of news of THQ filing for bankruptcy protection...I may change my vote to that if they go under in the next 12 days.

Would have to go with 38 Studios' financial debacle.

2nd place is Sony for being their own worst enemy regarding marketing and selling Vita. The proprietary memory cards and their prices are ridiculous.

3rd place is Mass Effect 3 and the overwhelmingly negative response to the ending.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't get the Wii U and Vita mentions...

Both are good platforms. Sure, they might be sturggling here and there, but I wouldn't nominate them in a year with: Doritos Eurogamer fiasco and the current WarZ disaster.

Both are worse IMO.

But I pick WarZ

Nominating a system as failed when it's still going is stupid. As low as the chance of a Vita resurgence is you run the risk of looking like a moron by picking it now in case it does.

Kerub

Banned
My vote goes for CoD BLOPS Declassified too. It could have been so nice to have a solid CoD game on Vita but noo. :-(

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What are the WarZ fiasco and Doritosgate? I know the latter is about Geoff, but what did he do different from the past years?

Thraktor

I agree with this. Vita went out with a whimper instead of a bang.

In terms of the scale of the failure, though, it has to be the biggest. The PSP was hardly a rip-roaring success, but it's sold over 70 million systems. At this rate, Vita might not even hit 7 million before Sony puts it out of its misery. Hell, people are talking about 3DS as unsuccessful, and it's currently outselling Vita by over 20 to 1 in Japan.

jmls1121

Banned
Nominating a system as failed when it's still going is stupid. As low as the chance of a Vita resurgence is you run the risk of looking like a moron by picking it now in case it does.

I will take that risk. Vita couldn't even break 15k units in December in Japan. It is a dead system.

Skyzard

Banned
Anyone who thinks the Vita is dead before even waiting for the price drop next year is out of his mind or blissfully ignorant. It's the perfect handheld, which (gaming on) is all the craze after iOS - (especially since it can actually do console quality). People are broke. WiiU is even doing worse than Vita.

They need extra convincing.

Toki767

In terms of the scale of the failure, though, it has to be the biggest. The PSP was hardly a rip-roaring success, but it's sold over 70 million systems. At this rate, Vita might not even hit 7 million before Sony puts it out of its misery. Hell, people are talking about 3DS as unsuccessful, and it's currently outselling Vita by over 20 to 1 in Japan.

Fairly sure the Vita is almost halfway to that already.

kazegami

1. Persona 4 Arena's non-EU release
2. SH HD Collections
3. SH Book of Memories
4. Street Fighter X Tekken (the gems issue, on-disc DLC and game, itself)

LosDaddie

Banned
If the PSN hack was this year, then it easily has to take the crown.

Zynga's failures should be in consideration. Huge profile company that went down the shitter. FarmVille really was a fad.

Silicon Knights having to recall their games & destroy them is embarrassing. But I kinda felt they would lose their lawsuit ever since it was announced.

38 Studios was just another studio failing & closing. 'Twas even better because it happened to that cunt Schilling. Fuck him, and his flawed opinions. But in the end, it was just another studio closing. The studio getting taxpayer money to locate in NH isn't anything new either. Local & state govts make those sort of deals with private businesses regularly (something conservatives don't want their voters to know).

ME3's ending fiasco was pretty bad because it was the first time I've seen a dev basically admit they were wrong. But I am glad BioWare improved the ending. Much, much better ending, IMO.

PSV sales are not surprising to anyone who paid attention to the portable gaming market. It shouldn't even be in the Top 5 of 2012 FotY. It's 'failure' was incredibly easy to see before it ever launched.

GAF overreacting about product placement and other stuff.

Yup, extra bonus hatred for Halo 4 being an X360 exclusive. It's not all that different from when CoD had the Mtn Dew sponsorship, or Uncharted 3 doing so with Subway.

Game 'Journalists' have been little more than another marketing arm for devs/pubs for about as long as I can remember. They should be called Enthuasist Press. The #1 gaming magazine (Game Informer) being owned by Game Stop is a prime example of this.

guek

Banned
Anyone who thinks the Vita is dead before even waiting for the price drop next year is out of his mind or blissfully ignorant. It's the perfect handheld, which (gaming on) is all the craze after iOS - (especially since it can actually do console quality). People are broke. WiiU is even doing worse than Vita.

Was waiting for this. Bravo, did not disappoint.

Nert

Yup, extra bonus hatred for Halo 4 being an X360 exclusive. It's not all that different from when CoD had the Mtn Dew sponsorship, or Uncharted 3 doing so with Subway.

Game 'Journalists' have been little more than another marketing arm for devs/pubs for about as long as I can remember. They should be called Enthuasist Press. The #1 gaming magazine (Game Informer) being owned by Game Stop is a prime example of this.

When people are using the term "Doritos-gate," they're talking about a lot more than that funny photo with Geoff shilling snack chips. People lost jobs over this and it developed into a massive, industry-wide embarrassment.

Again, for anyone who hasn't looked at it yet, at least skim this post.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a Vita owner that doesn't love the Vita?

vulva

Are people listing DoritosGate as a fail because it wasn't really anything to care about? Or because they somehow think something there happened that actually mattered?

I vote for Curiosity.

Kokonoe

Banned
Capcom with Rockman Xover.
Capcom with putting so many characters already finished on the disc the game shipped with locked via DLC in which caused their company to drop in ratings.
Square-Enix with Lightning's new outfit.

My vote is for Capcom's bullshit DLC policies.

I don't think it'll win since recent events are stronger is our memories. But let me ask you this:

Of all the dumbassery that has gone on this year, how much of it was not only tolerated, but supported by fans? And not only fans, but NeoGAF members?

Capcom convinced people that they should pay more than $60 for a title and the lemmings believed it. I had to argue with people who were literally asking me how I was going to make up for the missing revenue provided by on disk DLC if Capcom decided not to go that route and just offer it as part of the game.

It is this years biggest mess and it showed how a weak-minded half can ruin it for the those who just want their videogames back.

Top Bottom