• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 90's Arcade Racer Kickstarter (from the maker of Sonic Fan Remix)

TimmiT

People in the Sonic Fan Remix thread thought that this deserved it's own thread, so here is one.

The maker of Sonic Fan Remix (which has been cancelled/put on hold since September 2011) started a Kickstarter for a 90's SEGA arcade inspired racer called The 90's Arcade Racer. (which hopefully is a working title.) It will have three different cars and three courses that will be playable in normal or reverse, so one Short/Beginner track, a Medium/Amateur track and a Long/Professional track. If it reaches the stretch goal of £20.000 it will also have a Championship Mode for each car class.
ibbWfh4HLsx0uw.jpg

iQy4BE2LVkmVP.jpg

Trailer

The goal of the Kickstarter is £10.000 and the end date is February 17th. At the time that this topic is made only £121 has been pledged. Here is the Kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/896834116/the-90s-arcade-racer

djlr181

This is really cool. A demo release would be nice so the game creator could get lots and lots of feedback on the controls.

Zapages

It looks like Daytona... Like everyone has said... Is that Ferrari? Does he have license to use those type of cars?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this considering how close to Daytona it looks and also considering that SEGA did do things with the franchise recently (even if it's not a sequel the recent console port was well done, well received and could inspire them to also port the sequel and maybe make a new game too) but it does look well made so far so, I'm conflicted, especially since SEGA didn't give the PC any love with that port. Maybe if the different types of cars also have different types of races and handling and they aren't exact rip offs of things like Scud Race that'd be cool...

It looks like Daytona... Like everyone has said... Is that Ferrari? Does he have license to use those type of cars?

Hopefully the guy creating this isn't just ripping models out of existing Sega racers like Daytona 2 and Scud Race. Because some of them look a little to close for comfort:

Scud Race:
file.php

From this game:
me2foRe.jpg

Alexios

Also, I love the Daytona bumper cam but I want a cockpit cam for this one. For use with the Rift!

Those car models are different. I guess it could be an edited rip but they don't look alike.

Look at the position of the lights for one.

Ah screw it... Backed.

Hopefully the guy creating this isn't just ripping models out of existing Sega racers like Daytona 2 and Scud Race. Because some of them look a little to close for comfort:

Scud Race:
file.php

From this game:
me2foRe.jpg

That's not a direct rip, more like a heavy influenced copy. My bigger worry is that it looks a little too much like a McLaren F1 and he might have to change the back to look different.

Same for saying "formula 1", bernie will come rip his head off, it's one reason why the car in virtua racing is just called "formula" and nothing else.

None the less I am really excited to see this being done, I wanted to make some kind of racer back at university but never did outside of making some low poly vehicle models.

That's not a direct rip, more like a heavy influenced copy. My bigger worry is that it looks a little too much like a McLaren F1 and he might have to change the back to look different.

Same for saying "formula 1", bernie will come rip his head off, it's one reason why the car in virtua racing is just called "formula" and nothing else.

None the less I am really excited to see this being done, I wanted to make some kind of racer back at university but never did outside of making some low poly vehicle models.

Yeah it is different. Now that I posted the two side by side I can see the differences myself. But it still looks like he needs to do some editing to those cars. I'm not against this project, I just have a few concerns about where some of these art assets came from, as it is really easy to just rip geometry and models from other sources and reuse them.

Anthropic

This is exactly the sort of thing I've been waiting for. Indie pastiches of arcade racers (like the indie pastiches of bullet-hell shooters, 2D platformers, JRPGs, etc) are an untapped market waiting for developers to step up to exploit it.

I especially like that his "Risks" section says that he needs to get the handling totally correct for the product to be successful. Absolutely.

Alexios

Oh, multiplayer is a maybe at the moment. That's too bad. I hope leaderboards at least will make it.

Well, it's just called Formula Classic in one of the screenshots.

I pledged 15 since as much as I want this to do well it doesn't seem to have scope warranting a higher price, even if it's a monumental task for a one or two person team to get this right. Maybe I'd pledge 30 or more if each car type had its own three tracks and championship for sure, more if it included fluid online multiplayer, etc.

Boerseun

Banned
That's a really weak presentaiton, in my opinion, considering the effort people usually go to with these things.

Possible OUYA support has me interested though.

Honestly I find there's more in common with Virtua Racing on 32X, which let you pick between a F1 racer, Stock car, or a Sports car.

2lIUz1M.png
m3IqTRm.png
UvQ8JZQ.png

Never played Scud Race, though, so maybe that also has the three vehicle types.

scitek

Honestly I find there's more in common with Virtua Racing on 32X, which let you pick between a F1 racer, Stock car, or a Sports car.

2lIUz1M.png
m3IqTRm.png
UvQ8JZQ.png

Never played Scud Race, though, so maybe that also has the three vehicle types.

I was gonna say Sega Super GT, but I just Googled and found out that that IS SCUD Race, and is just its North American name.

Alexios

He clearly says it's Scud Race, Daytona and Indy 500 that inspired him though.

It just so happens that version of Virtua Racing also has those types of cars. The arcade and other ports had different stuff.

Dunno how people find gameplay vids to be weak just cos the dude didn't show his mug talking crap. All you need is shown!

That's a really weak presentaiton, in my opinion, considering the effort people usually go to with these things.

Possible OUYA support has me interested though.

The presentation is a bit weak, I'll give you that, but the screens look great already. If that's how far he has gotten without funding, it's already showing great promise.

Alexios

Lol, guess he's thanking every backer personally for now, got a message saying "thank you friend with the weird name" ha...

Neiteio

Loving the graphics. Was just at an old arcade not long ago and thought that with so many games attempting retro graphics in the pixel art sense, why not try it in the '90s arcade Virtua Cop sense?

Reiko

Banned
Not only is this new game awesome... It's damn criminal that Scud Racer was never ported to consoles or PC.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I don't know much about kickstarter, but this type of game (pure arcade racer) is something I've been wanting for awhile. Does the money you contribute to kickstarter get deducted from the price of the game when it's released?

My biggest worry right now about this particular game are the controls. It doesn't help that the video shows him slowing down for a turn and then grinding the wall - in other words, no drifting. If it's like Super GT/SCUD racer I'm all over it, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Is there anyway to find out exactly what type of gameplay he's going after?

Teknoman

Just call it 90's racing. Do a virtua racing style intro complete with "90's Racing!" announcement at the end. Make the handling like Daytona USA arcade and bam.

Looks true to the spirit of those old games, wish they'd come up with a better, more creative name though.

Begs the question: Why doesn't someone kickstart a spiritual sequel to No Mercy using modern tech?

IrishNinja

man, i love sega & blue skies....i just dont play many arcade racers. i still cant get a single achievement in Outrun arcade, for godsake.

debating this one, but i also like money.

Orayn

I have no nostalgia for Daytona and the like, but this looks neat and I'm glad it has a sane funding goal. It's refreshing in light of all the recent mega-projects with six-figure targets.

Sciz

The color tone's still a little too blue, like SFR was. Nice to see someone trying a different sort of retro tribute, though.

xemumanic

I feel like I should apologize, I knew about this Kickstarter the second it was up (quite literally, all by accident too) but I didn't make a thread because well, I'm not too good at that, and this deserves a good one. Good too see you all know about it.

Shaneus

It does look interesting and I like the concept behind it... but I'm hesitant that it's really only one guy who's going to be working on/managing the project. Doesn't inspire me with confidence, TBH.

Top Bottom