• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Kickstarter [Ended, $1.5 million funded]

LiK

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey

1f47da1eaf3375a29b286d90365c36db_large.jpg

Goal: $850,000

Deadline: March 10, 2013

Game Overview

Dreamfall Chapters continues and concludes the gripping story of Zoë Castillo, the Dreamer.

Revisiting familiar locations and characters, and introducing new sights and sounds, new faces, new game mechanics, new thrills and challenges, Dreamfall Chapters takes the player on an emotional, exciting and challenging journey -- from a dystopian cyberpunk future, through the mysterious and dreamlike Storytime, to the magical landscapes of Arcadia.

We aim to recapture the heart and soul of The Longest Journey and to improve on the immersion and game mechanics of Dreamfall in order to bring you a fitting, satisfying and emotional conclusion to the Dreamer Cycle.

-Experience a deep and complex storyline that continues the epic saga of The Longest Journey and concludes the Dreamer Cycle that began with Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

-Explore a beautiful, rich, detailed, interactive and living world that mixes a cyberpunk vision of the future with magical fantasy, along with a broken and decaying dreamworld

-Play as three different characters, all on journeys across worlds, through life, and into their own hearts and souls

-3D point-and-click interface and engaging puzzle gameplay designed for fans of adventure games

The Team

We've brought back the core team members from Dreamfall: The Longest Journey to make Dreamfall Chapters, including award-winning writer and designer Ragnar Tørnquist, creator of The Longest Journey saga; Dag Scheve, co-writer of Dreamfall; and Christer Sveen, art director on Dreamfall.

In addition to creating The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, Ragnar is the creator of acclaimed PC MMO The Secret World. He also co-created the Anarchy Online universe and penned the novel Prophet Without Honour.

Joining the team are lead designer Martin Bruusgaard (Age of Conan, The Secret World), technical directors Kjetil Hjeldnes (The Longest Journey, Dreamfall, The Secret World) and Eigil Jarl Halse (Dreamfall, The Secret World), artist Sigbjørn Galåen (Dreamfall, Age of Conan, The Secret World), producer Rakel Johnsen (Age of Conan, The Secret World), and programmers Quintin Pan (Age of Conan, The Secret World) and Audun Tørnquist (The Longest Journey).

The Dreamfall Chapters team is a highly experienced, talented and passionate bunch who know, respect and love The Longest Journey universe, and who are both grateful and excited to finally be able to continue telling the story we began way back in 1999.

42ac7c53e1f379b37c60877603f105f2_large.jpg

eb7cf3096d14543e780dac26cc91df15_large.jpg

83cde7b6e7089f7a5ebe356bcdd1468d_large.jpg

~Don't forget to watch the pitch video!~ *Contains spoilers for TLJ and Dreamfall

----------

FUNDED - Stretch Goals~

Backed. The Longest Journey is one of my favorite adventure games of all time and one of the few I didnt use any guides. Looking forward to it. Need to recap the story though :S

Durante

I have a feeling this isn't going to reach its goal.
I don't really see a reason to doubt it. At least some of those double fine adventure backers must still be out there, and The Longest Journey is an incredibly highly regarded series.

Midou

I counter with:

1. $850,000

Also, didn't Dreamfall bomb pretty badly?

Less popular adventure games have made tons though. I'm confident this will make it. I usually only put $20 towards any kickstarter, except for Double Fine's, and I'd consider going for boxed edition with this. This is the kind of game where I would 'buy 2 copies' if it came out, so it doesn't seem too bad.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Hmm... I vaguely remember playing a bit of one of the previous games. It wasn't for long, but I think it stuck with me because of the setting. Maybe. But in any case I'll be watching this because they seem very sincere in their pitch and the video was very well done.

wrowa

I have a feeling this isn't going to reach its goal.

I think it's going to meet its goal without struggle. TLJ is not the most succesful game ever, but it's still a pretty well-known and acclaimed cult hit --not to mention that fans have been waiting for the continuation of the story for a decade.

Maccas

For some reason my amazon payments account has been disabled and I should try again in 2-3 days.

Oh well an extra five bucks is not the end of the world.

FACE

Banned
I don't really see a reason to doubt it. At least some of those double fine adventure backers must still be out there, and The Longest Journey is an incredibly highly regarded series.

This is one of those cases where I'd be glad to be wrong, but 850k is quite a lot of money.

Negativity aside, I'd definitely like to see them pulling a Chris Roberts and raise a gazillion dollars.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Backed like a motha-shut-yo-mouth! Seriously please back this up everyone. Cannot freaking wait.

Lucifon

Backed. Please don't let this one fail. I don't usually agree with Kickstarter backing for games but they've clearly already started work on the game, have things to show, and have a clear plan on what they want to do. I'm sick of Kickstarters which just have some concept art to show and lots of bold ideas with nothing tangible for us to base a pledge on. This isn't one of those.

Midou

It at least seems genuine. If they went 400k but were expecting to get at least 850k, it's a scumbag move. Though very well they could be expecting like 1.5m and I'd be wrong, but we'll see I suppose.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Didn't really like the last game's direction (never played the first game much) but I'll keep an eye on this.

That character head looks bleh too.

Midou

Committed to $125 for outside US boxed copy. If everything comes crashing down and I lose my investment, it would not be the worst $125 I ever spent. I spent a similar amount for double fine's boxed copy. I don't usually care about boxed copies, but double fine was involved with making my 2nd favorite adventure game ever, technically at least, and longest journey was my favorite. I still remember how unique the whole thing felt, and how much I loved everything about it. I bought both TLJ and Dreamfall for $5, so I don't mind pledging $125 now as a kind of reverse-payment for those other games too. :p

FACE

Banned
It at least seems genuine. If they went 400k but were expecting to get at least 850k, it's a scumbag move. Though very well they could be expecting like 1.5m and I'd be wrong, but we'll see I suppose.

From the horse's mouth:

"We've put together a good pitch and we're asking for a realistic amount of money. It's high, definitely, but it is the amount of money we need. To ask for less would be unethical of us because it would mean that would need more money in order to make the game, and we don't want to lie to players."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-07-the-dreamfall-chapters-kickstarter-drive-has-begun

I think it'll do about as well as the Broken Sword kickstarter project. Which is to say, it'll reach its overall goal with relative ease.

WARP10CK

Banned
I am getting my paycheck on tuesday will support this immediatly been waiting for news on this for over 10 years.

Direct control and point-and-click, now that's something new!

No combat

Funcom only wanted to make online games

"We have invested a lot of our own money in Red Thread Games and Dreamfall Chapters, and we have also been lucky enough to receive a $175,000 grant from NFI (the Norwegian Film Institute) to make a playable prototype. Without this money, we wouldn't be where we are today."

Social

20 dollars to get a digital copy? Too much. Make it 10 like most kickstarters and I will think about pledging.

Wasn't Dreamfall a pretty big hit? Ragnar Tørnquist looks like he gained weight, I guess The Secret World was very stressful for him.

Keasar

Have been waiting so many years now for a sequel to Dreamfall after the torturous cliffhanger last time. Completely in this!

mclem

I liked Longest Journey, but haven't actually got around to playing Dreamfall yet. I need to rectify that. Either way, though, I'm in.

Edit: Ooh, there's now an automatic 'add international shipping' thing, that's nice.

Top Bottom