• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened with Gametrailers and Sony lately ?

farnham

Banned
It'll be exactly the same for Durango.

i dont remember them doing this for WiiU and i dont remember them doing this for 360, 3DS, PS3, Vita or Wii
They are covering a new console/next gen, you know...pretty big deal?

thats not "covering" though. there is no actual news.

Because Gametrailers is in the business of making money?

arent they also trying to be a journalistic outlet. at least in surface? they are putting up videos after videos that could be youtube fanboy vids contentwise.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Its only like that because Sony has that event on the 20th.

We'll get 24/7 Microsoft/Durango stuff shoved down our throats as soon as the press figures out when the hell Microsoft is going to announce their next gen system.

StuBurns

Banned
i dont remember them doing this for WiiU and i dont remember them doing this for 360, 3DS, PS3, Vita or Wii
The Wii U isn't really a 'core' system, it's probably not as heavily in the Gametrailers demographic. The previous system announcements were when the site didn't produce nearly as much content.

There's a growing cynicism regarding the next Xbox and as a result a lot of people are putting their chips on Sony.

I don't know if I can credit GameTrailers for consciously timing this but if so, great move.

yup will be the same for the next box.. internet is more powerful than it was last console launch.. expect lots of hype videos for all systems.. look at nintendo with the direct stuff

Kyon

Banned
The rumors have the PS4 as the most powerful this time around, and people love power.

PS3 was the most powerful this gen and GT are still 360 fans. It's not about power, it's a new generation coming and Sony are the first to show it off

farnham

Banned
yup will be the same for the next box.. internet is more powerful than it was last console launch.. expect lots of hype videos for all systems.. look at nintendo with the direct stuff

nintendo direct is what nintendo does themselves. how can you compare that to a supposedly "independent" journalistic outlet?

lol, we have a winner.

only there is no actual news. they are just putting up vids of what they would like to see.
A next gen console announcement happened. The same thing will happen with Durango.

only that it didnt yet. they are putting up videos with no news just speculation.

arent they also trying to be a journalistic outlet. at least in surface? they are putting up videos after videos that could be youtube fanboy vids contentwise.

Only a fanboy would interpret that content as being fanboy material. This is the games industry, Gametrailer is doing exactly what they should be doing in getting people excited. You're only going to embarrass yourself in this thread by sticking to your perspective.

Also:
src_1339335247814.jpg

Of course they didn't do the same for 360, 3DS, PS3 or Wii. They weren't as big before back then. Now they actually have the budget and manpower to pull this off.

They are doing this now because all there is are rumors, and hype is rising like mad. People want to know more and it would've been a mistake if they didn't encapsulate on this opportunity.

UberTag

PS3 was the most powerful this gen and GT are still 360 fans. It's not about power, it's a new generation coming and Sony are the first to show it off
Pretty much this.
Dig this thread back up if they're still tongue-bathing Sony around the time of the Durango unveil.
Then you may have an argument. Until then... nothing to see here.

nintendo direct is what nintendo does themselves. how can you compare that to a supposedly "independent" journalistic outlet?

only there is no actual news. they are just putting up vids of what they would like to see.

only that it didnt yet. they are putting up videos with no news just speculation.

It's 100% Guaranteed that we will see a PS4 on the 20th... There's hype building. They're capitalizing on it. You think people aren't watching those videos?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
OP are you familiar with "hostile media bias"?

They'll do the same for Durango.

If they weren't as excited about WiiU, it's because the WiiU wasn't as exciting (or exciting at all, IMO).

Hell, once we actually know the facts about the PS4, it might not be that exciting either. But right now we're in that blissful imagination phase where the sky is the limit.

farnham

Banned
So they cannot produce content leading up to the event?

yes but they look like part of the PR machinery rather than an independent outlet tbh
OP are you familiar with "hostile media bias"?

They'll do the same for Durango.

If they weren't as excited about WiiU, it's because the WiiU wasn't as exciting (or exciting at all, IMO).

Hell, once we actually know the facts about the PS4, it might not be that exciting either. But right now we're in that blissful imagination phase where the sky is the limit.

and did we have anything similar witht he "blissful phase" of the last 3 video game machines (3DS, Vita, WiiU)..?

Pretty Much. Just so happens Sony is first. Nothing more, nothing less.

except they are not

GT's viewship has slid massively in the last year why the hell wouldn't they try and capitalize on one of the biggest events in gaming for the next couple of years. Besides the fact that Nintendo barely gave anyone anything to talk about at both E3s with Wii U, it was shown at E3 which already gets coverage

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
GT gained its popularity from the move into the current gen since they were, at the time, the only ones that were regularly providing HD content. They're just trying to reinvigorate the next gen fever to get more hits. It'll be the same once we have and impending Xbox announcement.

injurai

Banned
The rumors have the PS4 as the most powerful this time around, and people love power.

Not just that. Sony just has the balls to make good first party titles, and people respect that in them. Thus they are looking towards them to lead us into the next generation.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
People are hungry for next-gen. Sites want hits. PS4 is the most tangible focus for those two factors at the moment.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
A lot of people are excited for Durango and Orbis. It generates an incredible amount of traffic, so of course they are going to do fluff videos.

Espada

A major event in the gaming industry is about to go down and GameTrailers is capitalizing on it. This has nothing to do with being fanboys.

Izick

The reason why the hype wasn't as big in the past was because even in 2006, the internet (especially video content) was nowhere near where it is today. Not to mention this story is going to be hot so it's good to cash in on eagerness for some more ad views. Seems like sound business to me.

Top Bottom