• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened with Gametrailers and Sony lately ?

Sony is announcing the first next gen console. It's logical they'd write articles/stories about Sony. I don't see a conspiracy.

farnham

Banned
....this is because there isn't any official news about Durango yet.

It will be full on Durango when it comes I assure you, and will bet my username over this.

there is no official news about PS3 either aside of the very strong implication that they will show PS4 on the 20th

M.D

Lets be honest, Geoff Keighley has been notified of whats going to be announced because they are doing a live stream of the conference.

Seriously, it feels like this guy knows all of this stuff before most people do. Probably because he's been in the business for so long and also deals with stuff like the VGA's, but still...

I wonder if he has already seen the PS4 ;o

farnham

Banned
Sony is announcing first. It's logical they'd write articles/stories about Sony. I don't see a conspiracy.

I have seen less content out of GT regarding the WiiU launch compared to the PS4 launch.

Dont get me wrong I dont really care about GT at all, its just that they seem to be very keen on hyping up this one thing. Will it have any impact in the big picture outside of some more hits for the website ? probably not. However it does not make them look a very credible source.

The next generation can't have started in the past (semantics such as this are also 100% irrelevant).

this gen started last november then

Between the them and Microsoft they are most certainly announcing first, which is all I was saying. This is the the first official announcement into the next generation most have been waiting for.

in case you have missed it. nintendo already launched their system. if you like it or not they will try to compete with PS4 and 720. MS and Sony are not existing in a separate market even if the market they are competing on is heavily segmented form the market nintendo exists.

UberTag

Next gen started last November though.
Nobody is really saying that except for Nintendo these days.
Microsoft isn't. Sony isn't. The media isn't. Gaming forums aren't.
It's all about perception. And as trite as generational dividing lines are... NOTHING that your average consumer considers "the next evolution in gaming" was released last November.

Nintendo didn't make the first move. They finally joined last gen. And the Wii U will eventually dig its way out of its current hole and carve out a small niche for itself in the marketplace.
Next-gen third-party titles won't be developed for it. Some will be downported to it along with other current gen platforms like the PS3 & X360. And Nintendo will offer a glorious roster of titles in high-definition.

Seriously, it feels like this guy knows all of this stuff before most people do. Probably because he's been in the business for so long and also deals with stuff like the VGA's, but still...

I wonder if he has already seen the PS4 ;o

I don't think he's seen the hardware but I'm pretty sure they've briefed him on whats being announced. They know he can keep secrets like he did with The Last of Us announcement.

I have seen less content out of GT regarding the WiiU launch compared to the PS4 launch.

Sometimes a console earns the coverage, or lack thereof, that they get. Nintendo can't even be bothered to market their own console, but you expect the media should?

netBuff

Dont get me wrong I dont really care about GT at all, its just that they seem to be very keen on hyping up this one thing. Will it have any impact in the big picture outside of some more hits for the website ? probably not. However it does not make them look a very credible source.

GT isn't in the business of giving every console system (be it last gen like the Wii U or next gen like the PS4) equal and fair coverage: They are interested in producing the content that generates the most views to allow them to be attractive to advertisers.

And equal coverage really doesn't imply credibility: There are obvious reasons why most media tend to ignore the Wii U.

noffles

Banned
Next gen starts when Geoff Keighley says so....

*sob*

he's not a real pope you guys jeez

NOTHING that your average consumer considers "the next evolution in gaming" was released last November.

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but I don't think the average consumer really cares all that much about an evolution if they were completely okay with the same Dualshock for over a decade.

there is no official news about PS3 either aside of the very strong implication that they will show PS4 on the 20th

Which is why everyone's in a frenzy. Someone has a point, the videos about PS4 are some of the most watched on Gametrailers lately, so they are just giving the public what they want.

Shit happens even on reputable news channel like BBC. They're an international news channel from Britain but they still put a lot of coverage on the US election because that's where the ratings are.

farnham

Banned
Sometimes a console earns the coverage, or lack thereof, that they get. Nintendo can't even be bothered to market their own console, but you expect the media should?

we have no information about PS4 that was actually confirmed. what kind of coverage has sony owned here?
GT isn't in the business of giving every console system (be it last gen like the Wii U or next gen like the PS4) equal and fair coverage: They are interested in producing the content that generates the most views to allow them to be attractive to advertisers.

And equal coverage really doesn't imply credibility: There are obvious reasons why most media tend to ignore the Wii U.

so basically what you are saying is, is that GT is not trying to be a journalistic outlet that covers that market but they are trying to cater to the fan tendency of their viewerbase right? I will keep that in mind next time when i look at their reviews

netBuff

we have no information about PS4 that was actually confirmed. what kind of coverage has sony owned here?

It earns this volume of coverage by the fact that people are interested in consuming it.

The Wii U doesn't generate that kind of interest.

ironcreed

Banned
in case you have missed it. nintendo already launched their system. if you like it or not they will try to compete with PS4 and 720.

Yes, I am well aware. No need to be so hostile. But the fact remains that PS4 and the next Xbox are going to be doing more of a traditional next generation jump, and the Wii U will likely not be getting the third party support that the other two consoles will be seeing. This is nothing new.

The op is looking for something that isnt there, there was also a fair amount of coverage on gt given to wii u.

Let's also be clear right now, looking at wii u sales no one gives a shit about the wii right now so why should GT?

robably some agreement between the two. You'd be naive to think there weren't $$ exchanged. It's GT, after all.

Maybe, who cares though?

I love how some members create posts regarding certain events and expecting everyone to agree with them, only to lose their shit when others don't.

They obviously know their audience. And that the audience is hungry for next gen, so they're feeding them what they want. As much as Nintendo fans scream and yell "LOOK AT US, WE'RE NEXT GEN TOO!", releasing a console with outdated specs, a garbage account system, shit third party support, questionable first party support, and an idiotic price tag obviously isn't creating a lot of hype in consumers or the media. But sure, go ahead and blame the media for Nintendo's own mistakes. That's an easy way to go.

Into

I believe they are also doing a video soon on 5 ways Sony can screw things up, should be up soon

But they are likely doing this because their viewership has been going down, and Satterfield (when he worked there) said they could not wait til new consoles would launch as that would hopefully get more people back to their site.

They will surely do the same hype build up for the Xbox 720.

And nothing has really been going on lately, this is the news to latch onto because it is mostly what people are talking about

farnham

Banned
Yes, I am well aware. No need to be so hostile. But the fact remains that PS4 and the next Xbox are going to be doing more of a traditional next generation jump, and the Wii U will likely not be getting the third party support that the other two consoles will be seeing. This is nothing new.

this has nothing to do with coverage of a site that tries to be a "journalistic outlet".

Probably some agreement between the two. You'd be naive to think there weren't $$ exchanged. It's GT, after all.

Seriously? It's well known that GT's viewership has gone down as the generation has stretched on. In one of their Invisible Walls podcasts they apparently blamed that on the fact that new consoles weren't coming out. So it shouldn't be surprising that they're quick to jump on the PS4 when it's about to be unveiled.

GT at this point isn't any different than any other site. Every gaming site seems to be incredibly hyped about the PS4 unveiling. They're full of rumors and speculation about the console. GT just makes videos unlike those sites.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sites follow traffic or anticipated traffic/interest.

Google suggests that interest in PS4 is higher right now, pre-announcement, than it even was for Wii U at the time of its announcement.

N5IxF3C.png

Now you can ask which came first - interested traffic, or sites pushing PS4. But this tends to become cyclical.

I also think Sony has played the tease game pretty perfectly here. They've left just enough of a vacuum between the announcement of the PS Meeting, and the meeting itself, for plenty of speculative column inches. With some fortuitous leaks along the way... I think hype/anticipation has lathered to a point where a lot of sites think that any kind of original PS4 content (be it a leak or whatever) will spin a lot of traffic. And so everyone is fishing.

-MB-

It's all about perception. And as trite as generational dividing lines are... NOTHING that your average consumer considers "the next evolution in gaming" was released last November.

Nintendo didn't make the first move. They finally joined last gen. And the Wii U will eventually dig its way out of its current hole and carve out a small niche for itself in the marketplace.
Next-gen third-party titles won't be developed for it. Some will be downported to it along with other current gen platforms like the PS3 & X360. And Nintendo will offer a glorious roster of titles in high-definition.

You can try to be a revisionist al lyou want, but just because you don't care for Nintendo systems, doesn't mean you get to decide what is or isn't a next generation system, that is just petty behaviour at best.

one_kill

Oh grow up.

farnham

Banned
I love how some members create posts regarding certain events and expecting everyone to agree with them, only to lose their shit when others don't.

Hey i never was really convinced with gaming media and their journalistic integrity. however this strikes me as even worse than what we have seen in the last few years.

however it looks like GAFs expectation regarding gaming media is even less than the expectation I have
They obviously know their audience. And that the audience is hungry for next gen, so they're feeding them what they want. As much as Nintendo fans scream and yell "LOOK AT US, WE'RE NEXT GEN TOO!", releasing a console with outdated specs, a garbage account system, shit third party support, questionable first party support, and an idiotic price tag obviously isn't creating a lot of hype in consumers or the media. But sure, go ahead and blame the media for Nintendo's own mistakes. That's an easy way to go.

baconsammy. i believe we two are discussing this topic every day on the same damn threads

I believe they are also doing a video soon on 5 ways Sony can screw things up, should be up soon

But they are likely doing this because their viewership has been going down, and Satterfield (when he worked there) said they could not wait til new consoles would launch as that would hopefully get more people back to their site.

They will surely do the same hype build up for the Xbox 720.

And nothing has really been going on lately, this is the news to latch onto because it is mostly what people are talking about

I stopped going to GameTrailers thanks to their slow and unreliable videos though, not to mention not letting me load the whole video first before playing, instead keeping only a certain buffer available.

Not all of us are located in the US/has REALLY high speed internet connection.

this has nothing to do with coverage of a site that tries to be a "journalistic outlet".

This has nothing to do with journalism though. First and foremost they are a video site that aims to get people to watch their videos to make money.

however it looks like GAFs expectation regarding gaming media is even less than the expectation I have

Are you going to make a topic the next time some random guy running for president doesn't get as much coverage as the republican or democrat? Until GT makes a legit news piece that slobbers all over Sony there is nothing to discuss.
Edit: I feel slimy defending GT...

You can try to be a revisionist al lyou want, but just because you don't care for Nintendo systems, doesn't mean you get to decide what is or isn't a next generation system, that is just petty behaviour at best.
I think you missed his point. Public perception is that the Wii U is essentially Nintendo's extremely late entry into the "HD console age". You know what? As far as everyone I know is concerned, this is accurate. Only a couple of my friends own a Wii U, well maybe just 1 now.

Hey i never was really convinced with gaming media and their journalistic integrity. however this strikes me as even worse than what we have seen in the last few years.

I apologise then. Anyway yes, we don't have much expectation for game journalism. It's getting better but it's not quite there in quality yet at the moment.

It's a new console- GT is just doing its job. When the Xbox gets announced, you'll definitely see similar coverage.

The Doritos Pope is impartial, blind to console fanboys.

kadotsu

Banned
I don't know why the site named gametrailers would give more coverage to more graphical advanced systems. Regardless. I remember GT giving the WiiU the same treatment as any other new hardware it's just that no one cared as much.

one_kill

I think you missed his point. Public perception is that the Wii U is essentially Nintendo's extremely late entry into the "HD console age". You know what? As far as everyone I know is concerned, this is accurate. Only a couple of my friends own a Wii U, well maybe just 1 now.
So if the public doesn't understand that the flu virus is constantly evolving, does that mean that the flu virus isn't constantly evolving?

farnham

Banned
I apologise then. Anyway yes, we don't have much expectation for game journalism. It's getting better but it's not quite there in quality yet at the moment.

well it looks like its getting worse. i watched the whole sony barrage of videos and I dont see a very balanced view but rather a very one sided view on things.

maybe they will do the same with Xbox720 (which would be hilarious especially if the same GT guy reads the whole thing) but that would only mean that they cancell out a very biased article with another biased article for another company

farnham

Banned
It's a new console- GT is just doing its job. When the Xbox gets announced, you'll definitely see similar coverage.

The Doritos Pope is impartial, blind to console fanboys.

yes that is not true as they already did much less with wiiu

lol at the doritos part btw

Derrick01

Banned

So is arguing what is next gen and what isn't in every thread. Nintendo fans are in for a looooong generation if they're going to get angry every time someone says that. Just embrace the fact that most people are not going to consider it a next gen console, regardless of what the dictionary definition is.

one_kill

well it looks like its getting worse. i watched the whole sony barrage of videos and I dont see a very balanced view but rather a very one sided view on things.

maybe they will do the same with Xbox720 (which would be hilarious especially if the same GT guy reads the whole thing) but that would only mean that they cancell out a very biased article with another biased article for another company
There's nothing wrong with being optimistically biased in regard to reveals.

Top Bottom