• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 2013 the best year for gaming...ever?

I was comparing this years line up to previous years, this is what we have to look forward to.

Still to come:

PS4
Xbox 720
Oculus Rift (Game Changer )
Nvidia Shield
GTA 5
God of War : Ascension
Tomb Raider
BioShock : Infinite
The Last of Us
Injustice:Gods Among US
Splinter Cell:Black List
South Park :Stick of Truth
Company Of Heroes 2
Gears Of War: Judgment
Watch Dogs
Star Wars 1313

Already had:

Crysis 3
Dead Space 3
Devil May Cry
Metal Gear Rising
Aliens Colonial Marines (Yes I know)

I'm sure I have missed a few titles but cheese and rice what a line up.

Am I wrong in saying this will be the best year for gaming....EVER! ?

Lime

No. Your list is mostly just a bunch of AAA garbage.

But System Shock 2 on GOG sure makes up for it.

Skilletor

Since it's only been two months and not many games have come out, and there's no telling how anything will pan out for the rest of the year...gonna have to say it's silly to say such a thing in February.

zroid

Banned
I was going to say it's pretty damn good, but your list in the OP has like two games I care even remotely about (MGR and TLOU).

My list would be very different, obviously.

CorySchmitz

For AAA, yeah.

I like DmC, Ni No Kuni, and Metal Gear Rising more than any AAA game from last year. It's only February. Damn.

+ new Consoles in November (probably).

As far as indies go, it's going to be really hard to beat last year. Of to a good start with KR0, Antichamber, Proteus, Hundreds, & Skulls of the Shogun, though!

Forkball

2011 had an amazing fall/winter lineup.

Also you forgot Fire Emblem Awakening which is my GOTY so far. Don't ask how many 2013 games I've played.

mcdoomington

Neo Member
Battlefield 4 is probable for 2013, too. As long as they build on what was in BF3 (and bring back the Commander position), it should be a worthwhile title.

pirata

It's way too early to say, really, but it has the potential to be much better than the past few years, that's for sure. But I doubt anything will ever beat 1998. Also, it's mostly the Spring and end of this year that will be memorable. Unless things change, we might be in for one of the worst release droughts for games of all time this summer and until next gen starts.

Coxswain

No, but 2013 might be the year where the question "Is this year the best year for gaming, ever?" is the most baffling that it's ever been.

tim.mbp

They cant compare, I mean we have 3 console releases this year, then the Oculus Rift, which I think is the very future of gaming, and a massive list of amazing games?

There is just no other year that can touch it ,no way, no how.

Classic case of counting your chickens before they hatch.

No. 2014 will be though.

Dark Souls 2
The Witcher 3
Xenoblade 2
Destiny
Final Fantasy Versus
The Last Guardian
Star Wars 1313
Dragon Age III
Smash Bros U
Zelda 3DS
Metal Gear Solid V

Servbot24

Banned
Technically every year for gaming is the best year yet because you still have all the old games. :p

But yes, the year looks very promising.

Need a new MegaMan game announcement as icing on the next gen cake. :)

It should be better than the past few years, though there are some potentially great titles coming in next 2014, as that will also be the year where we'll see some real craftsmanship coming out of the new consoles.

However, your list just seems mostly throwing in brand names without taking into account on the actual quality of the products (some are questionable). We don't know what the new consoles will entail as far as system software is concerned (OS, security, account treatment, apps, etc). We also have no idea on what is coming to us late this year aside from GTAV, a CoD, and an AC spin-off(?).

And as far as I know, Star Wars 1313 does not have a release date. It's safe to assume it's this year, but nothing has been confirmed. We also know very little about the game and how it will play. Right now it looks like a TPS with Uncharted-cinematic sequences involving bounty hunters in Corucant.

Edit: Plus you're missing a lot of promising games from this year: Metro, Pokemon, Wonderful 101, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, DayZ, Fables, The Walking Dead: Season 2 (maybe2013, possibly 2014), Monster Hunter 3, Total War: Rome II, and Beyond: Two Souls. I'm sure I'm missing a few there as well.

KevinCow

Banned
It would probably be better to wait until closer to the end of the year to make that statement.

For me:

Enjoyed DmC.

Looking forward to:
- Luigi's Mansion
- Mario & Luigi 4
- Wonderful 101
- Pikmin 3
- Injustice

Maybe South Park and Bioshock, but I'll probably wait for price drops on those.

There will surely be more announcements, though. PS4 and 720 games, plus Nintendo finally revealing whatever the hell they have planned for the Wii U.

AniHawk

2013 can try. it's part of 1998's holy lineage, where major development teams finally have something to show all at the same time.

for example:
1998: panzer dragoon saga, mgs, resident evil 2, ocarina of time, half-life
2001: super smash bros. melee, halo, mgs2, gta iii, shenmue ii
2004: halo 2, paper mario 2, mgs3, gta san andreas, half-life 2
2007: super mario galaxy, the orange box, mass effect, halo 3, god of war ii
2010: smg2, mass effect 2, bayonetta, halo reach, god of war iii

They can't all be the best.

2012 and 2011 kinda blew.

Nimajneb

The only interesting games on that list are South Park and maybe Bioshock Infinite. Everything else is completely unremarkable, the same generic AAA games we get every year.

GCX

It should be something incredibly amazing to beat 1998 of Half-Life/Metal Gear Solid/Ocarina of Time/Pokemon.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
1998:
Resident Evil 2
Metal Gear Solid
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Pokemon Red and Blue
StarCraft
Half-Life
Banjo-Kazooie
Panzer Dragoon Saga

2013 can try. it's part of 1998's holy lineage, where major development teams finally have something to show all at the same time.

for example:
1998: panzer dragoon saga, mgs, resident evil 2, ocarina of time, half-life
2001: super smash bros. melee, halo, mgs2, gta iii, shenmue ii
2004: halo 2, paper mario 2, mgs3, gta san andreas, half-life 2
2007: super mario galaxy, the orange box, mass effect, halo 3, god of war ii
2010: smg2, mass effect 2, bayonetta, halo reach, god of war iii

2012 and 2011 kinda blew.

Damn, can't wait til 2016!

Resident Evil 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Xenogears
Parasite Eve
Banjo Kazooie
MGS1
Zelda Ocarina of Time

A few of my favorites from that year.

Great games cant beat 3 new console releases and the Oculus Rift, and its not like this year has a crap list of games coming out, remember there are a lot of games that have not been announced yet.

Like the new Call of Duty and a bunch of others.

They cant compare, I mean we have 3 console releases this year, then the Oculus Rift, which I think is the very future of gaming, and a massive list of amazing games?

There is just no other year that can touch it ,no way, no how.

I don't think console launches should really be factored into it. For one, launch lineups are usually pretty dire. Then there's the empty feeling when the initial wow factor inevitably wears off and you are left with a software drought. That wow factor can also be experienced by anyone picking up the console at any time, be it 2013, or 14, or 15, and so on. It's not something exclusive to that year. In any case, just the games lineup of these two years was better in my eyes (better as in more original, more revolutionary, less sequels). Hindsight is also a wonderful thing as we can really look back and say these were truly great years, whereas 2013 can still go either way (as great as it's looking right now). Many many games could turn out poorly (Tomb Raider for example).

1998:

Resident Evil 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Xenogears
Banjo-Kazooie
F-Zero X
Metal Gear Solid
Spyro the Dragon
Fallout 2
Pokemon Red and Blue
Grim Fandango
Crash Bandicoot 3
Half-Life
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Tomb Raider III
StarCraft
Thief: The Dark Project
Baldur's Gate
Sonic Adventure
Dreamcast launch in Japan..

2007:

Lost Planet
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Rogue Galaxy
Crackdown
Virtua Fighter 5
MotorStorm
God of War II
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
Etrian Odyssey
Forza Motorsport 2
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
The Darkness
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
BioShock
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Warhawk
Skate
Halo 3
Project Gotham Racing 4
The Orange Box
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
The Witcher
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Super Mario Galaxy
Crysis
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Mass Effect
Rock Band
PS3 launch in Europe if you're into that sort of thing..

/list warz

It should be something incredibly amazing to beat 1998 of Half-Life/Metal Gear Solid/Ocarina of Time/Pokemon.

Look at the hardware coming out this year, sure 1998 had great games but this year has a mighty fine looking line up of games to, its a straight up victory when you add it all up.

Top Bottom