• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 2013 the best year for gaming...ever?

Great games cant beat 3 new console releases and the Oculus Rift, and its not like this year has a crap list of games coming out, remember there are a lot of games that have not been announced yet.

Like the new Call of Duty and a bunch of others.

Yes it does. The main reason to get excited for a console release is the new games that become possible. Most of those games won't emerge until a few years after the console's release, like in 1998 when we got some generation-defining titles.

There is massive potential this year, but that happens every year. Not every game comes out exactly as imagined.

I mean really;

The Last of Us
Soul Sacrafice
Pokemon X&Y
Luigi's Mansion 2
Tomb Raider
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Wind Waker HD
PS4
Disney's Infinity
New Skylanders
Rayman Legends
Xbox 3
Mario & Luigi RPG 4
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Ace Attorney
Watch_Dogs

and that's just off the top of my head. The Year of Luigi has real potential to be one of the great ones. It could all go sour, but there's potential.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't really associate modern hardware launches with quality software.

Dr Dogg

Great games cant beat 3 new console releases and the Oculus Rift, and its not like this year has a crap list of games coming out, remember there are a lot of games that have not been announced yet.

Console launches very rarely make for anything special. In the first wave of releases there's a few good games and usually 1 stand out but the year or 2 after is when the great titles start to turn up. There's an initial buzz, sure but then there's a lull with nothing on the horizon for a while with every major console release.

Skilletor

Sure it can. The new consoles could launch with one game. They could break when I turn them on. All of those games, or some of them, could get pushed back to 2013.

I couldn't care less about most of the games you listed, whereas MGS, RE2, Ocarina of Time, Xenogears, and Parasite Eve are games I go back to repeatedly. Opinions and all that.

You're calling this the best year ever for gaming IN FEBRUARY. Unless you're Nostradamus, you're predicting that a bit early.

GCX

Look at the hardware coming out this year, sure 1998 had great games but this year has a mighty fine looking line up of games to, its a straight up victory when you add it all up.
Console launches alone don't mean anything since launch line-ups are rarely anything that special.

DmC
Injustice
JoJo

Seems like it. I'm not sure if I should count games where I didn't play them in their release year, which breaks up a lot of the other contenders. But OOT and Pokemon in the same year is still a contender.

Luthos

People say this every year...

Also, how can you even say it in February? You can't say a year is the best based on what's coming out. No telling what games and systems actually fulfill expectations or flop.

Hypron

2007:

Lost Planet
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Rogue Galaxy
Crackdown
Virtua Fighter 5
MotorStorm
God of War II
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
Etrian Odyssey
Forza Motorsport 2
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
The Darkness
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
BioShock
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Warhawk
Skate
Halo 3
Project Gotham Racing 4
The Orange Box
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
The Witcher
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Super Mario Galaxy
Crysis
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Mass Effect
Rock Band
PS3 launch in Europe if you're into that sort of thing..

/list warz

How could you not bold STALKER, The Witcher and Crysis!

2007 was so awesome. But this year has the potential to be even better.

Coxswain

I honestly, seriously, not-even-just-saying-this-to-be-a-smarmy-dick, cannot even begin to fathom how or why anyone would be even remotely excited about the launch of the next Xbox and Playstation.

In fact, I think they're actually actively detracting from how good of a year I think 2013 is. Every time I get a little optimistic or hopeful, I remember that they're on the horizon, and then this tired, defeated sort of groan crawls its way out of my stomach. I just hear a little voice, saying "exacerbation of everything that's terrible about the current state of video games..."

lingiii

Banned
what's up with this thread in February. especially given last year pushing all kinds of stuff back to here, who knows what'll make it out this year. I guess new consoles puts some fire under some asses at least.

I honestly, seriously, not-even-just-saying-this-to-be-a-smarmy-dick, cannot even begin to fathom how or why anyone would be even remotely excited about the launch of the next Xbox and Playstation.

In fact, I think they're actually actively detracting from how good of a year I think 2013 is. Every time I get a little optimistic or hopeful, I remember that they're on the horizon, and then this tired, defeated sort of groan crawls its way out of my stomach. I just hear a little voice, saying "exacerbation of everything that's terrible about the current state of video games..."

People will probably jump on you for this, but I'm kinda in the same boat with all of the stuff that's been rumored so far about the new Playstation and Xbox. I'm hoping the games will be good enough to offset it, but I'm not a huge fan of the direction the big guns seem to be going in so far.

With that said, I own a 3DS, so I'm set for this year. :D

Neff

Apart from MGR, Wind Waker HD and Wonderful 101, I'm not excited about any as-yet confirmed 2013 games.

Which means that so far, 1991, 1996, 1997, 1998 and 2012 kick its ass.

Agree entirely. Aside from the purported huge tech improvement, I've heard no positives about the new systems, and a lot of negative conjecture/logical assumption. I'd like tonight's show to give me a reason or two to be excited, though.

Don't you know? If a game has mass appeal and is AAA then it is automatically bad(I am kidding of course but neogaf folk spout a lot of trash that being one of them)

But really it has me pretty excited. However do you remember that ONE year in like 2002 I think?... There was a year that PS2 was on FUCKING fire and a few years ago we had a vintage year indeed. But yea this year really is pretty awesome.

zon

This has been said every. single. year. on GAF. And yet nothing has beat 1998.

It will happen in 2014 as well and so on. And they will not beat 1998 either.

TDLink

Not at all. It's the best year in a couple but not ever, no way. Plus, most of the (probably) "best" games this year we either don't know about yet (second half of the year games) or you failed to mention (Wonderful 101, Fire Emblem, Pikmin 3, Pokemon, Ni No Kuni, to name a few). Most of the games you did mention are also either garbage or could go either way seeing as they aren't out yet.

I am very excited for Injustice though and currently having a blast with MGR.

It will end up being a good year, but best ever? No way. I am guessing you're young and just don't remember some of the great years we had in the past.

Pezking

It's all about the games.

And 2001 has this year, and probably all years, beat by a country mile.

This. 2001 takes the cake, and it isn't even close.

Just take look at only the PS2 games of that year:

Shadow of Destiny
Ring of Red
Onimusha: Warlords
World Soccer Winning Eleven 5
Zone of the Enders
Red Faction
Twisted Metal: Black
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
Extermination
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
Madden NFL 2002
ICO
NHL 2002
Silent Hill 2
Kessen 2
Time Crisis II
Devil May Cry
Grand Theft Auto III

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
SSX Tricky
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
Final Fantasy X

The first year lineup for the PS2 was insane!

And the launch window of the Gamecube wasn't too shabby either:

Luigi's Mansion
Wave Race: Blue Storm
Super Monkey Ball
Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Pikmin

Sanctuary

It'll be better than last year that's for sure.

2012 was one of the blandest/most disappointing years in recent memory for gaming.
2013 probably won't be "the best" year, but it should be a very interesting year to say the least. I'm also looking forward to playing more than a few games in the OP anyway (have MG and DS3 waiting in the other room to be played).

Omega

Banned
People say this every year and it never ends up being the case.
Usually because they get delayed. If not, then once you actually play the game you realize there's no substance

99 is the GOAT
or maybe it 98, I mix them up

I liked 2011 a lot. Sony's exclusives (LBP2, KZ3, Infamous 2, Resistance 3, UC3) were the peak of the generation, to me. Microsoft did just fine with Gears 3 and Forza. Skyward Sword was the full realization of motion control. Modern Warfare 3 sucked, but that left space for Battlefield 3 to take some marketshare and led to some beautiful mudslinging. Arkham City happened. Skyrim and Dark Souls aren't really my scene, but I understand that they have their fans. Portal 2, and yada yada...

I also think 2011 was the most efficient use of the hardware we've seen. Any further advancements in visuals we've seen since then came at the cost of generally unacceptable performance.

Your upcoming games list has maybe 2 I'm interested in, and 0 I expect to be an all time classic. Hardware launches don't make for a great video game year (and what makes this round of hardware better than previous ones)? In short, this seems like it's going to be a down year.

Sanctuary

2011 was the best year for PS3.

I can't imagine why. Dark Souls is the only game that comes to mind. But I tend to not actually count cross-platform games since I play much of them on the PC anyway. I think the only games I actually cared about from 2011 were Dark Souls, Human Revolution and Dead Space 2. Kind of liked Skyrim, but it's just like every other TES game after a while. Worse in some ways.

TDLink

Your upcoming games list has maybe 2 I'm interested in, and 0 I expect to be an all time classic. Hardware launches don't make for a great video game year (and what makes this round of hardware better than previous ones)? In short, this seems like it's going to be a down year.

It doesn't help that he left out over half the games already announced for this year, most of which will probably be better than the stuff he listed.

Hiltz

Fire Emblem - I admit that I have not played any game in this franchise, but Awakening looks too cool to pass up on. It's time I try out some more Nintendo franchises anyway. I just hope it isn't too hard for my little brain to handle.

Pikmin 3 - Been so long since the last Pikmin, but the wait is almost over.

Wonderful 101 - This game looks so colorful, quirky, and over the top. You can't get much more wonderful than that.

Rayman Legends - Damn you Ubisoft. Damn you for delaying this sweet ass looking game. Rayman, we will wait for you!

Ni No Kuni - I'm not even sure how the gameplay works, but it's hard to resist the game's distinctive art style and charming characters.

Dark Souls 2 - One of the few series this gen that I regret not being able to get a chance to play yet. Dark Souls 2 seems like a brutally rewarding game with awesome monster designs. I'm hoping Namco Bandai finds it in its dark heart to port this game over to Wii U. I don't care if its 3 years from now, do it and I'll buy it so long as the game is good.

Bioshock Infinite - I'm not sure how well the game may end up being, but I really like the concept and art style.

Metal Gear Solid Rising - I'm not a fan of the MGS series, but Platinum seems to have nailed the areas of this spin-off game where it counts, and I'd be willing to give it a slice.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - I haven't played the original game, but the sequel looks like its going to be bigger and better.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - I was a slightly concerned that we may not see this franchise appear on the 3DS, but it has! I can't wait to get inside Luigi's head.

Wind Waker HD - A lot of us have been thinking about the idea of Nintendo doing some HD ports of GameCube games. Some times, dreams do come true, but hopefully the changes Nintendo makes doesn't turn it into a nightmare. Nintendo, wash away Wind Waker's flaws so that we'll want to love this game all over again.

Killer is Dead - We still don't know much about it, but I've always been interested in Suda 51's projects. With any luck, this game will be more mechanically sound than compared to the last couple of Grasshopper Manufacture titles. It also better be totally batshit insane cause that's how we like our Suda 51 games.

Pokemon X & Y - Is anyone else still shocked that there's a new Pokemon game coming out this year with some big changes coming again ? I almost feel sorry for the development team.

Castlevania: Mirror of Fate - I'm still on the fence with this game, but I desperately want to play a new handheld Castlevania game. Please be good.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - As a Monster Hunter fan, I need more Monster Hunter. It's as simple as that.

Dragon's Crown - I expect this game to look and sound beautiful, but suffer from repetitive gameplay... but that's okay. Vanillaware games are still fun. Too bad I have no plans to own a PS Vita.

Lego City: Undercover - I have only played Lego Batman and did not care for it at all. There's something about Undercover that has me excited despite being a Lego game. Maybe its the cheesy vibe, the variety of things to do in a seemingly big world, or the fact that it's not based on licensed IP. Maybe it is all of the above.

God of War: Ascension - God of War's brutality is compelling and the big setpieces look pretty cool too. Plus, I'm a sucker for Greek mythology. I'm not a PS gamer, but God of War is one of the few Sony-developed games that interests me.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - While the life sim genre is not my cup of tea (though I haven't actually played Animal Crossing before) , I do appriciate Animal Crossing's charming visual style and quirky nature. It seems like Nintendo's team has put in a good effort with this new handheld title compared to the last one released on the home console.

Metro: Last Light - I still don't know much about this game, but I like what little footage I have seen of it.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadows 2 - I don't know much about the first game or what to expect from the sequel, but that announcement trailer was pretty wicked, huh ?

There's some other games that may come out in 2013 from developers like Nintendo, but I decided not to mention them since they haven't been officially confirmed for release. Also, Square Enix, don't be a jerk, localize Bravely Default!

I can't imagine why. Dark Souls is the only game that comes to mind. But I tend to not actually count cross-platform games since I play much of them on the PC anyway.

LittleBigPlanet 2, Killzone 3,
SOCOM 4,
Infamous 2, Resistance 3, Uncharted 3. Not necessarily the peaks of their respective series, but having them all in one year was pretty special.

TDLink

Fire Emblem - I admit that I have not played any game in this franchise, but Awakening looks too cool to pass up on. It's time I try out some more Nintendo franchises anyway. I just hope it isn't too hard for my little brain to handle.

Pikmin 3 - Been so long since the last Pikmin, but the wait is almost over.

Wonderful 101 - This game looks so colorful, quirky, and over the top. You can't get much more wonderful than that.

Rayman Legends - Damn you Ubisoft. Damn you for delaying this sweet ass looking game. Rayman, we will wait for you!

Ni No Kuni - I'm not even sure how the gameplay works, but it's hard to resist the game's distinctive art style and charming characters.

Dark Souls 2 - One of the few series this gen that I regret not being able to get a chance to play yet. Dark Souls 2 seems like a brutally rewarding game with awesome monster designs. I'm hoping Namco Bandai finds it in its dark heart to port this game over to Wii U. I don't care if its 3 years from now, do it and I'll buy it so long as the game is good.

Bioshock Infinite - I'm not sure how well the gamem ay end up being, but I like the concept

Metal Gear Solid Rising - I'm not a fan of the MGS series, but Platinum seems to have nailed the areas of this spin-off game where it counts, and I'd be willing to give it a slice.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - I haven't played the original game, but the sequel looks like its going to be bigger and better.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - I was a slightly concerned that we may see this franchise appear on the 3DS, but it has! I can't wait to get inside Luigi's head.

Wind Waker HD - A lot of us have been contemplating the idea of Nintendo doing some HD ports of GameCube games. Some times, dreams do come true, but hopefully the changes Nintendo makes doesn't turn out to be a nightmare.

Killer is Dead - We still don't knw much about it, but I've always been interested in Suda 51's projects. With any luck, this game will be more mechanically sound than compared to the last couple of Grasshopper Manufacture titles. It also better be totally batshit insane cause that's how we like our Suda 51 games.

Pokemon X & Y - Is anyone else still shocked that there's a new Pokemon game coming out this year with some big changes coming again ? I almost feel sorry for the development team.

Castlevania: Mirror of Fate - I'm still on the fence with this game, but I desperately want to play a new handheld Castlevania game. Please be good.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - As a Monster Hunter fan I need more Monster Hunter. It's as simple as that.

Dragon's Crown - I expect this game to look and sound beautiful, but suffer from repetitive gameplay... but that's okay. Vanillaware games are still fun. Too bad I have no plans to own a PS Vita.

Lego City: Undercover - I have only played Lego Batman and did not care for it at all., yet there's something about Undercover that has me excited. Maybe its the cheesy 80's cop vibe or the variety of things to do in a seemingly big world. Maybe its both.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - While the life sim genre is not my cup of tea (though I haven't actually played Animal Crossing before) , I do appriciate Animal Crossing's charming visual style and quirky nature. It seems like Nintendo's team has put in a good effort with this new compared to the last one released on the home console.

Metro: Last Light - I still don't know much about this game, but I like what little footage I have scene of it.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadows 2 - I don't know much about the first game or what to expect from the sequel, but that announcement trailer was pretty wicked, huh ?

There's some other games that may come out in 2013 from developers like Nintendo, but I decided not to mention them since they haven't been officially confirmed foe release. also, Square Enix, don't be a jerk, localize Bravely Default!

This right here is the real list, at least in terms of games I expect to be of high quality. Only game not on here that I think will be quality is Injustice: Gods Among Us.

For my personal tastes I'd also add Ace Attorney 5.

Omega

Banned
SOCOM 4,
Infamous 2, Resistance 3, Uncharted 3. Not necessarily the peaks of their respective series, but having them all in one year was pretty special.
Your spoiler instantly makes 2011 the worst.

fuck that game, wish it could be wiped from existence

Sanctuary

SOCOM 4,

Yeah, I guess if you like any of those games or genres. Which I don't. Really sick of the whole FPS/TPS genre in general since they've infected every other genre that's usually better without those elements, especially tacked on multiplayer or co-op. Uncharted 3 was pretty bland compared to Uncharted 2, which was actually more spectacle than game to begin with.

Just depends on what genres you like I guess, but it was a pretty blah year for me.

seanoff

2001 would be very close to 1998 if not ahead.

the last half of 2001 was so exceptional. the first half was great the second was wow. most of the big games were right at their peak

GTAIII, GT3, FFX, SSX Tricky, DMC, Tony Hawk 3, PGR, Halo, Pikmin, SSB Melee, MGS2, CivIII, ICO

the first half was

Paper Mario, Tribes 2, Onimusha, Red Faction, Bejeweled, Castlevania CoTM, Twisted Metal Black, SM Advance, Runescape

So the Oculus Rift is not exciting at all in your eyes? The fact that it could change the way we play games forever?

I'm just going on what I have seen and impressions, most of which have said its the future of gaming.

That alone makes 2013 special for gaming, and like many have said I have left off a ton of titles on my list that when mentioned only fuel my prediction of this being the best gaming year.

I cant understand how you can call it a down year? My mind is blown.

TDLink

So the Oculus Rift is not exciting at all in your eyes? The fact that it could change the way we play games forever?

I'm just going on what I have seen and impressions, most of which have said its the future of gaming.

That alone makes 2013 special for gaming, and like many have said I have left off a ton of titles on my list that when mentioned only fuel my prediction of this being the best gaming year.

The key word here being could. It could also be a peripheral that isn't widely supported or purchased and thus end up becoming a small footnote until in the future the same idea is ran with better (and by one of the actual hardware manufacturers). It has happened before, many times.

There's new experimental hardware every year. Very little actually succeeds and becomes widely used and accepted. When it does it is typically something that comes from one of the console/handheld hardware manufacturers.

This is part of why a thread like this at this point in the year is a dumb idea. We can't honestly say what stuff that hasn't happened yet will amount to.

Plus, if you're doing it purely on software, as I and others have already pointed out, you are missing most of the announced games and most of the games you did list are either unknowns or already confirmed bad. If you are trying to get people to agree with you at least list the stuff that will probably actually be good, of which your current list has little.

Skilletor

Because nothing has come out. Because things get pushed back Because developers say a lot of things.

Because nothing has come out. Because things get pushed back Because developers say a lot of things.

Thats why this year could be the best year for gaming ever, it has the potential to be the best because of the combination of revolutionary hardware/new consoles/ great software line ups across all current consoles.

You wouldn't of made a statement like I did at the begging of 2012 because 2012 felt crap begging to end, and that goes for many other years as well.

For me:
Last of Us
GTAV
Mario Golf
Mario and Luigi
DKvs Mario (Jesus Christ, Nintendo, we get it, you love Mario)
Luigi's Mansion

No idea what's coming out on PS4/Xbox at launch, but I'm sure there's going to be some good shit. But just based on what I know now, it's the year of the 3DS.

Skilletor

Thats why this year could be the best year for gaming ever, it has the potential to be the best because of the combination of revolutionary hardware/new consoles/ great software line ups across all current consoles.

You wouldn't of made a statement like I did at the begging of 2012 because 2012 felt crap begging to end, and that goes for many other years as well.

I wouldn't make that statement at the beginning of any year. I would wait until the end after the games for that year had been released and I could analyze what I did and did not enjoy, how much I enjoyed, and how it compared to years past.

Top Bottom