• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 2013 the best year for gaming...ever?

george_us

Not ever but it's the best year of this mostly shitty generation by a mile.

Dragon's Crown, Metal Gear Rising, Grand Theft Auto 5, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Pokemon X/Y plus a ton of others I know I'm forgetting.

It wasn't supposed to be a "call out", more a legitimate question.

And "ever" implies since gaming began. "Ever in your experience in gaming" would be more accurate if your description was what the OP implied.

Good thought. However, it's still entirely possible for a gamer of any age to still experience those games; that's what I'm referencing. If I came across as otherwise, apologies - "ever in your experience" isn't what I meant.

A gamer's age only makes it less likely that they've experienced older titles, but it doesn't preclude the possibility.

Freeman

Banned
A great year no doubt, we are at a point where its harder for games to be revolutionary or gender defining, but at the same time we are at a point of very mature development cycles, so many good games from AAA to indie developers. 2014 looks impressive as well.

owasog

Not the best year of all time, but there were definitely some very good 'surprises' this year:

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Antichamber
Gone Home
The Swapper

RedSwirl

Out of curiosity, how many games from past generations do you regularly play? It's very difficult to judge a game's worth simply by its replayability, though games designed that way certainly should take it into consideration.

I love many games from past years (even if I don't play them as often), but that doesn't prohibit me from looking at this year's gaming lineup as perhaps the best ever.

A lot actually, and a lot of them are games that weren't deliberately designed for replayability. There are a lot of straight singleplayer campaigns I still like to replay today.

RooMHM

Games don't have to be genre defining to be remembered.

Plenty of people have fond memories for games like Donkey Kong Country and Spyro 15 years after the fact. I don't remember either defining their genre.
Fair enough even if what they brought to their respective genre could be debated.

Still, I think the best year is the one when the best games are released, not when the biggest number of good games are released.
2013 saw a lot of acclaimed gamesut none of which appeal to me and are specially amazing.

People who say yes-are you 21 or under?

I mean each to their own but I think this is a question for someone who has at least experienced gaming since the 8bit eras.

Answer to OP though-not even remotely close. It's average at best.

I'm 26, and while I didn't say yes, I wouldn't put this year below any year from the 8 bit and possibly even the 16 bit era, and that's only based on 3DS.

hlhbk

Not even close. 2011 has and always will be the best year in gaming imo. 2011 highlights included:

January:

Dead Space 2

February:

Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation (ds remake)
Killzone 3

May:

L.A. Noire
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

August:

Limbo
Bastion
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

September:

Dark Souls

October

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
Batman: Arkham City

November

Sonic Generations
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Super Mario 3D Land
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
Rayman Origins
Saints Row: The Third
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

December

Mario Kart 7
Star Wars: The Old Republic

Fair enough even if what they brought to their respective genre could be debated.

Still, I think the best year is the one when the best games are released, not when the biggest number of good games are released.
2013 saw a lot of acclaimed gamesut none of which appeal to me and are specially amazing.

I didnt like a lot of the games that are touted as awesome back in 1998 and 2007. Does it suddenly makes it not some of the best years of gaming?

Thats not how this works. You look at critical aclaim by a mayority of gamers, not single individual tastes.

Hypron

Not even close. 2011 has and always will be the best year in gaming imo. 2011 highlights included:

January:

Dead Space 2

February:

Killzone 3

May:

L.A. Noire

August:

Limbo
Bastion

October

November

Sonic Generations
Super Mario 3D Land
Rayman Origins

December

Mario Kart 7

You forgot Dark Souls dude.

Well... it's a good year. Yeah. But 1998 happened, and the world will never be the same...
Outside of ancient history, I really think 2011 was a stronger year.

8bitDevil

Banned
Without 3D World and ALBW, not even close.

The XBox One and PS4 launches are the most underwhelming I've ever experience, on the software side of things. Nothing too interesting happening on PS3 aside from TLoU, nothing at all on 360, Vita? LMAO. If not for the 3DS and Wii U, this would be one of the more underwhelming years in recent memory for gaming.

Just goes to show how important Nintendo is to this industry.

Crisium

Without 3D World and ALBW, not even close.

The XBox One and PS4 launches are the most underwhelming I've ever experience, on the software side of things. Nothing too interesting happening on PS3 aside from TLoU, nothing at all on 360, Vita? LMAO. If not for the 3DS and Wii U, this would be one of the more underwhelming years in recent memory for gaming.

Just goes to show how important Nintendo is to this industry.

You must have not experienced the PS3 and 360 launches then.

Do you regularly invoke hyperbole, or are you just trying to stand out?

EGOMON

For Playstation gamers yes this year was one of the best years in video gaming, why? because:

- Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
- MLB 13: The Show
- God of War: Ascension
- Guacamelee!
- Soul Sacrifice
- The Last of Us
- Dragon's Crown
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
- Tales of Xillia
- Killzone: Mercenary
- Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix
- Puppeteer
- Rain
- Beyond: Two Souls
- Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
- Killzone: Shadow Fall
- Resogun
- Tearaway
- Gran Turismo 6

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER

January:

Dead Space 2

February:

Killzone 3

May:

L.A. Noire

August:

Limbo
Bastion

September:

Dark Souls

October

November

Sonic Generations
Super Mario 3D Land
Rayman Origins

December

Mario Kart 7

So, you don't care for Portal 2?

Some Nobody

I love how everyone here is basically riding the nostalgia train. 2013 Has been spectacular, better than 2007 and equally as good as 1998 imo.

Is it nostalgia? I mean, I'm only giving 2013 credit because SOMEBODY liked those games. Personally outside of Fire Emblem: Awakening (which I haven't played), Batman: Arkham Origins (which is just a placeholder even if it is good), and Super Mario 3D World, you can have this year.

Suikoden II, Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogears, and Legend of Legaia are all great games--three of them are classics, even. (Arguably FFT is the best FF Square's ever made. Certainly my favorite of all time.)

Maybe its just that a lot of us enjoyed more games back then. People love TLOU but personally I don't give a fuck about it.

TokiDoki

Not really , not much memorable games this year . I mean there isnt even an exciting one due for the holiday season . Next year could be great with

confirmed :
Dark Souls 2 , Order 1886 , The Evil Within

probably :
Titanfall , Division , Project Eternity , Dragon Age Inquisition , Transistor .

Now these are more like my type of games .

true. here's what I consider fun or noteworthy that released this year:

All platforms-

Retro City Rampage
DMC: Devil May Cry
Super Hexagon
Dead Space 3
Afterburner Climax
Crysis 3
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
SimCity
Tomb Raider
God of War: Ascension
Lego City Undercover
Hotline Miami
BioShock Infinite
Ninja Gaiden 3
Injustice
Guacamelee!
Don't Starve
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
State of Decay
The Last of Us
Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
Civilization V
Dota2
Pikmin 3
Dragon's Crown
Diablo 3: (Ps3/360)
Killzone: Mercenary
Puppeteer
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix
Ducktales Remastered
Wind Waker HD
Grand Theft Auto V/GTA Online
The Wolf Among Us
Rocksmith 2014
Batman: Arkham Origins
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield IV
Killzone: Shadowfall
Resogun
Killer Instinct
Tearaway
The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds
Gran Turismo 6.

I wanted to add on the below to your list, I haven't mentioned the 3DS stuff but if someone could add that I think we would have the best list in gaming for a single year.

Company of Heroes 2
Splinter Cell: Blacklist
NFS: Rivals
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Metal Gear Solid: Legacy Collection
Forza 5
Super Mario 3D world
Dead Rising 3

Edit: Forgot Pokemon X and Y.

That's a HELL of a lot of good stuff in there, and ignores the fact that we got two massive hardware releases. Easily stacks up to 1998.

I also wanted to add on

Mulgrok

There have been a lot of solid games this year, but none of them have been mind shattering like '98 games were for me.

true. here's what I consider fun or noteworthy that released this year:

All platforms-

That's a HELL of a lot of good stuff in there, and ignores the fact that we got two massive hardware releases. Easily stacks up to 1998.

Is there a game that came out this year you didn't like?

I see this thread every year and it's a nope every damm year, they're all good, some are marginally better than others but there are always a lot of good games in any given year.

No. Your list is mostly just a bunch of AAA garbage.

But System Shock 2 on GOG sure makes up for it.

Gaming hipsters are now a thing.

I doubt any year in the AAA gaming era would be in the running for best year. Especially compared to the mid to late 90's when you had some real groundbreaking games (Mario 64, Zelda: OoT, ect...) .

Top Bottom