• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 2013 the best year for gaming...ever?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This week alone has been amazing. Two new consoles, Resogun, Super Mario 3D World, and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds!

Doffen

You don't think the likes of GTA V, The Last of Us, Bioshock: Infinite, Battlefield 4 make this year stand out?

Sure but for me it's not 2007 when we had games like Halo 3, Bioshock, Call of Duty 4, Mass Effect, Super Mario Galaxy, The Orange Box, God of War II, Crysis and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

2013 was one damn fine year, filled with some of the best AAA games I've ever played (Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, GTA V), and also some of the best indies (Rogue Legacy, Papers Please, Kentucky Route Zero), but overall I feel that it just can't match...

The Great 2007:

Super Mario Galaxy
Call of Duty 4
Uncharted
Bioshock
Crysis
Halo 3
The Orange Box (Portal)

And I'm sure I'm even missing some. 2007 is the greatest year of the generation, and perhaps the greatest year in gaming ever. 1998 is a damn strong contender, as well.

I think this year tops 2007 slightly but as for 1998 that's one stupidly good year, I would say this year could easily be the best over the last decade.

Derrick01

Banned
I jumped the gun and started this thread a little too early in the year. Now that the dust has settled on all the major releases console and game wise, we must finally decide if in fact 2013 was the best year for gaming..ever, what say you?

No it's been a very average or slightly sub par year full of forgettable, mediocre games.

However it's been a big improvement over the disasters that were 2010, 2011, and 2012.

Nakayumi

Don't know if it's the best, but it has certainly been one of the better years no matter how you look at it. For starters, it was the year that portables were really shining or starting to shine. The 3DS hardly goes without saying with Zelda, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Phoenix Wright and many others. In the meanwhile, the Vita just got Tearaway and has proven itself to be an amazing machine for indies.

Steam continued to prove PC gaming is alive and better than ever, with new games at often amazing prices compared to their console counterparts. And then there was the steady stream of console/multiplatform releases: Bioshock: Infinite, The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, Metal Gear: Rising, GTAV, Mario 3D World, Pikmin, Wind Waker HD. Not to mention the release of two entire new systems that have yet to show their potential.

I personally don't really get all the negativity about the current state of the gaming industry. I think this year alone people had more than enough choice no matter what system or genre they prefer. With PS+ and Steam, gaming has never been cheaper, and for those who dislike the AAA fest there is an amazing amount of indies and retro games available on any platform for reasonable prices. So yeah, best year? Not sure. But an amazing year it certainly was. And I, for one, can't wait to see what the next few years are gonna bring us.

2013 is a year where 2 major consoles have been released and have shown that consoles are still relevant and not dying. And with TLOU, Bioshock and GTA V rounding of the PS360 generation then I think it is safe to say this has been a great year for gaming. For games it doesn't come close to 2007 but overall 2013 edges it out and wins due to the console releases.

Preemo

Banned
I was comparing this years line up to previous years, this is what we have to look forward to.

Still to come:

PS4
Xbox 720
Oculus Rift (Game Changer )
Nvidia Shield
GTA 5 - Micro-transactions
God of War : Ascension - Seasons Pass
Tomb Raider - Micro-transactions
BioShock : Infinite - Seasons Pass
The Last of Us - Seasons Pass
Injustice:Gods Among US - Micro-transactions
Splinter Cell:Black List - Seasons Pass
South Park :Stick of Truth - Micro-transactions
Company Of Heroes 2 - Micro-transactions
Gears Of War: Judgment - Seasons Pass
Watch Dogs - Seasons Pass
Star Wars 1313 - EA? LOLOLOLO

Already had:

Crysis 3
Dead Space 3
Devil May Cry
Metal Gear Rising
Aliens Colonial Marines (Yes I know)

I'm sure I have missed a few titles but cheese and rice what a line up.

Am I wrong in saying this will be the best year for gaming....EVER! ?

fixed.

PS3 was not bad, 3DS was good and that's it. Not sure how two console launches would make anything better considering how poor their launch lineups are (and how little the generational leaps are)... If anything, they further devalue the year.

2013 is a year where 2 major consoles have been released and have shown that consoles are still relevant and not dying. And with TLOU, Bioshock and GTA V rounding of the PS360 generation then I think it is safe to say this has been a great year for gaming. For games it doesn't come close to 2007 but overall 2013 edges it out and wins due to the console releases.

I would have to agree with you, it tops 2007, if you think about the quality of games across all consoles and hand held's. Then top it off with the next gen consoles, some great PC titles like Company of Heroes 2 and a bunch of others and you have yourself a winner.

The consoles have been released but most of the launch day games are garbage.
The only interesting AAA game I can think of is The Last Of Us and maybe GTA V.
Eh, the indies were ok I guess. And the Wii U finally got games.

2014 will be better when the multiplats for the new consoles roll in.

Otheradam

Look at the hardware coming out this year, sure 1998 had great games but this year has a mighty fine looking line up of games to, its a straight up victory when you add it all up.

Nothing has come out this year that comes close to the 1998 line-up. A lot of new stuff and new consoles doesn't mean its the best year in terms of games. There isn't even a must have launch title on PS4 or Xbone.

Nothing has come out this year that comes close to the 1998 line-up. A lot of new stuff and new consoles doesn't mean its the best year in terms of games. There isn't even a must have launch title on PS4 or Xbone.

Maybe its not a 1998 killer, but every year after that, maybe.

This year can't touch 1997, much less 1998.

1997:

January 31 Final Fantasy VII
February 10 Mario Kart 64
March 20 Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
March 20 Tekken 3
April 30 Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
May 31 MDK
June 20 Final Fantasy Tactics
July 1 Star Fox 64
August 25 GoldenEye 007
September PaRappa the Rapper
September 19 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
September 24 Ultima Online
September 30 Fallout
October Grand Theft Auto
October 15 Age of Empires
October 31 Colony Wars
October 31 The Curse of Monkey Island
November 1 Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
November 18 Tomb Raider II
December 6 Quake II
December 18 Mega Man Legends
December 23 Gran Turismo

These do not even include handhelds.

And someone already posted 1998.

So no, this isn't the best year in gaming. It is a good year, but it's hardly the best.

Neiteio

2013 has been absolutely INCREDIBLE. Definitely a contender for the industry's best year thus far.

Some personal favorites:

Anarchy Reigns
Metal Gear Rising
The Wonderful 101
BioShock Infinite
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Harmo Knight
The Last of Us
Pikmin 3
Puppeteer
Rayman Legends
Grand Theft Auto V
Pokémon X and Pokémon Y
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Super Mario 3D World

The WiiU came into its own. The PS4 and Xbone released. Killer Instinct was revived. So much good stuff. SO MUCH GOOD STUFF!!!

RedSwirl

This shit happens every year, and I actually think 2013 from a software standpoint has been pretty average to meh, especially in terms of high-profile console releases. Over half of my GOTY list so far is PC indie stuff.

I'll agree though that this is the year the 3DS hit its stride, with plenty of good software from Nintendo and 3rd parties, especially if you like RPGs.

Overall greatest? Still 1998.

2013 was one of the worst gaming years in my opinion.

That's ok. having a terrible opinion isn't a permanent affliction.

This shit happens every year, and I actually think 2013 from a software standpoint has been pretty average to meh, especially in terms of high-profile console releases. Over half of my GOTY list so far is PC indie stuff.

I'll agree though that this is the year the 3DS hit its stride, with plenty of good software from Nintendo and 3rd parties, especially if you like RPGs.

Overall greatest? Still 1998.

2013 is beating the pants off of 1998 right now, real talk. and it's not even over.

RooMHM

If you had to actually list every 2013 game on every console I think it would blow your mind. This year was packed with golden nuggets.
You mean golden sequels and rehashed concepts surely.
2004 might be the last year when games brought something new to gamers.

Edit: Derrick my man gets it.

BiggNife

lol at the OP mentioning Dead Space 3, Crysis 3 and Aliens

But yeah it's actually been a really great year for games

Between Rising and Bioshock and TLOU I thought this year was going to be really top-heavy but I've been gaming nonstop the past few months.

I think this year is especially notable because I feel like its the year the 3DS really came into its own. I've been gaming on it way more than anything else lately.

KoopaTheCasual

This year can't touch 1997, much less 1998.

1997:

January 31 Final Fantasy VII
February 10 Mario Kart 64
March 20 Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
March 20 Tekken 3
April 30 Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
May 31 MDK
June 20 Final Fantasy Tactics
July 1 Star Fox 64
August 25 GoldenEye 007
September PaRappa the Rapper
September 19 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
September 24 Ultima Online
September 30 Fallout
October Grand Theft Auto
October 15 Age of Empires
October 31 Colony Wars
October 31 The Curse of Monkey Island
November 1 Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
November 18 Tomb Raider II
December 6 Quake II
December 18 Mega Man Legends
December 23 Gran Turismo

These do not even include handhelds.

And someone already posted 1998.

So no, this isn't the best year in gaming. It is a good year, but it's hardly the best.

Jesus Christ, 1997 was ridiculous. Not even nostalgia speaking. Everyone one of those games is classic.

antitrop

2013 was one of the worst gaming years in my opinion.

Yet superior to 2012 in almost every conceivable way to my tastes. Last year was so fucking miserable, at least I had Spec Ops: The Line to fall in love with, otherwise I may have written off gaming completely.

Shit like Resident Evil 6 and Medal of Honor: Warfighter drained my will to live.

Derrick01

Banned
TLoU will be.

It will be until the next over hyped linear cinematic game comes out, probably from naughty dog as well, then everyone will go insane over that and pass this aside. 15 years from now? That game has no chance of being remembered at this rate.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I wasn't on NeoGAF when this thread was originally posted. All I have to say is:

10955911244_1cd451afdf_o.gif

Jtrizzy

It's been an amazing year imo. Between PS4 and PC I've got so many good games right now. Currently really enjoying all of these games

PC
Batman AO
Bioshock DLC
ACIV
Marvel Heroes (Just added Loki and Gambit with the Asgard update)
just finished Blacklist
Elder Scrolls Online beta

PS4
KZ
BF4
Madden
NBA

Bgamer90

Banned
This week alone has been amazing. Two new consoles, Resogun, Super Mario 3D World, and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds!

I got to agree. This past month alone will make 2013 go down as a big year in gaming history.

2014 won't benefit from new console releases but the year will be even better than 2013 when it comes to actual gaming content (or at least it looks that way).

spekkeh

Banned
Not even close. I'm not passionate about any of the top games released this year. I really liked Brothers, but not as much as The Walking Dead last year. GTA and Tomb Raider were simple very good. But not games of the generation, so this year can't even be best year of the generation, let alone other generations.

Top Bottom