• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Volcynika

jZap2m4.png

u0Lpk1O.png

The outland city of Tharsis...in the uncharted territory beyond that city stands a great tree called Yggdrasil. Legends say something sleeps within Yggdrasil that calls people to eternal paradise. In order to ascertain the truth of this legend, the Count of Tharsis issued a challenge across the land.

"Reach Yggdrasil and uncover the truth!"

That summons has drawn countless explorers to the city. You are among their number; a pilgrim to the city with little to your name but a blade and boundless curiosity. Nevertheless, you aim to solve the mystery of Yggdrasil and win fame and fortune!

nwKS6O2.png

• Developer: Atlus
  • Platform: Nintendo 3DS
  • Release Dates:
    • Japan: 07/05/2012
      • Retail - Yes
      • eShop - No
    • North America: 02/26/2013
      • Retail - Yes
      • eShop - Yes (5718 blocks)
    • Europe: Spring 2013
      • Retail - ?
      • eShop - ?
  • Demo: Available (Carry demo content into full game)
  • MSRP: $39.99
  • Website: Official Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan Website

MzIXY26.gif

xcDKwD7.png

• Gaming's Best Tribute to Retro RPGs Enters a New Dimension; Packed with improvements and content: an enhanced graphics engine boasting polygonal enemies and new 3D special effects
  • Upgradeable, customizable skyships that let players travel and battle amid the clouds; an exceedingly atmospheric and fully orchestrated musical score from Yuzo Koshiro
  • Expanded, more immersive 3D dungeons with analog camera control; and guild card + character trading functionality via StreetPass.
  • You are Only as Good as Your Map and Your Heroes; Celebrate the tradition of classic pen and paper roleplaying games by using the bottom touch screen to chart out your path and the dangers you have encountered. A good map might save your life.
  • All-New Casual Play Option; Beginners and newcomers can more easily learn the ropes without fear of setback or death with this new, less daunting mode

Q2aUyb2.png

U1RXpBW.png

4iOMlGW.png

iEqIeZw.png

xgangxq.png

PsQ9NeD.png

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Any bigger changes that make this a new Etrian Odyssey instead of just another Etrian Odyssey?

Still not sure if I'm on-board.

Eusis

Can't wait to keep going in the full game! I didn't beat the kangaroo FOE but I beat the other two, and maxed out the levels on my main characters with my secondary ones at around 5.

Kazerei

Banned
Any bigger changes that make this a new Etrian Odyssey instead of just another Etrian Odyssey?

1. Casual mode. Ariadne threads are infinite (they warp you out of the dungeon). And if your party gets wiped out, you wake up back in town.

2. Structure is different. There's an overworld you explore with a skyship. In the overworld you find caves and dungeons.

Aeana

It hadn't occurred to me that this was so close. I don't know when I'm going to get to it. :( I haven't even started Fire Emblem yet!
But I really appreciate what Atlus USA has done with this, particularly with the typography. It makes me excited to see what they do for other 3DS games, like SMT4. Note to any Atlus USA folk reading: please do something cool for that, and don't just use the Persona 2 PSP/Soul Hackers font you're using. (._. )

Varna

Do they have DLC planned for this game? New character portraits or anything like that? I would pay some money for the OG cast of EO.

Between the DS back catalog and the new stuff coming up I am getting enough crawlers to last me a life time. :D

Volcynika

Do they have DLC planned for this game? New character portraits or anything like that? I would pay some money for the OG cast of EO.

Between the DS back catalog and the new stuff coming up I am getting enough crawlers to last me a life time. :D

I don't think any DLC has come out for this game in Japan, so they have nothing to actually translate and bring over.

Clunker

Jesus, I didn't know this was coming so soon! Bought my XL recently specifically for this and Fire Emblem. I might even go digital, since I'm loving having FE at my every whim, but realistically I should own at least one retail game. :p

Also: "TRUST IN THE LANDSKNECT" would be a wonderful bumper sticker.

redlemon

I've never played Etrian Odyssey before but I might pick this one up since it has a casual mode. I like dungeon crawling in theory but I'm usually not bothered because of the difficulty.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate

As mentioned above, the structural changes make it feel a lot different -- exploration isn't strictly limited to the dungeon, but it's also a part of the overworld as you travel by airship to find new areas to fight through.

Lots of quality-of-life improvements, too. For example, you don't have to invest skill points for harvesting (no more need for farmbots), and daily harvesting limits aren't intrinsic to characters but rather to the gather points. In other words, if a dungeon has a dozen gather points, you can hit them all in one day and collect materials until the points are exhausted rather than you characters.

I picked up the game earlier and for those that are wondering, when you choose "new game" it'll ask you if you want to transfer your data from the demo.

I chose yes, and it instantly picks up from where you left off in the demo.

Just make sure you save your game at least once after transferring cause if you don't, and you exit the game, it won't save your demo progress. After you transfer and save, feel free to delete the demo.

Ricker

I picked up the game earlier and for those that are wondering, when you choose "new game" it'll ask you if you want to transfer your data from the demo.

Just make sure you save your game at least once after transferring cause if you don't, and you exit the game, it won't save your demo progress. After you transfer and save, feel free to delete the demo.

Cool,thanks for the heads up...nice OT,just wondering if I screwed myself putting the Nightseeker in the back,most video's I see have 3 in front,I have 2 in front and 3 in the back...although I can switch them around right?

cj_iwakura

It hadn't occurred to me that this was so close. I don't know when I'm going to get to it. :( I haven't even started Fire Emblem yet!
But I really appreciate what Atlus USA has done with this, particularly with the typography. It makes me excited to see what they do for other 3DS games, like SMT4. Note to any Atlus USA folk reading: please do something cool for that, and don't just use the Persona 2 PSP/Soul Hackers font you're using. (._. )

I'm pretty sure Soul Hackers font is different than Persona 2's.

It's still mediocre, but better.

MLH

Cool,thanks for the heads up...nice OT,just wondering if I screwed myself putting the Nightseeker in the back,most video's I see have 3 in front,I have 2 in front and 3 in the back...although I can switch them around right?

Yes, you can change your formation at any time, either in the guild in town, or in the field under the party option.

ohlawd

Thanks for the tip. I've been waiting to delete the EOIV demo cuz I want to play the MH demo.

Tuesday is so far away :3

So hyped for this. Just gotta wrap up Fire Emblem this weekend and then I'll be set.

After playing the first three on an NDS, one of the things I'm most looking forward to w/this one is checking the 3DS Activity Log to see how many hours I'm putting into these games.

vall03

man, I want the game now! I think I've also scoured the internet for possible class/sub builds and even possible party set-ups. I've also been playing the demo several times during the past week.

Also, why no FOE song in an Etrian Odyssey thread?!

fushi

EO II and III were not released in Europe. Should I be worried?

Or maybe I should just import a NA 3DS XL and be done with it.
No, why? The game is officially announced to come to Europe.
Oh? That's good, I must've missed that.

Koroviev

How many of you guys are going digital? I picked up a 16GB card in preparation, but I'm kind of having doubts. I actually called Nintendo to ask about the ETA for an account system and the rep was very vague on this point, although he did assure me that all eshop purchases would be preserved and transferred in the event that the system were to sustain some type of damage.

fusionedd

Neo Member
How many of you guys are going digital? I picked up a 16GB card in preparation, but I'm kind of having doubts. I actually called Nintendo to ask about the ETA for an account system and the rep was very vague on this point, although he did assure me that all eshop purchases would be preserved and transferred in the event that the system were to sustain some type of damage.

I might be wrong, but aren't the game and save files stored on the SD card? It's just a matter of being paired up with the system that it's logged to?

Koroviev

I might be wrong, but aren't the game and save files stored on the SD card? It's just a matter of being paired up with the system that it's logged to?

Yes, that's precisely the issue. There's no account system in place. I've never damaged a system before, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

Caelestis

Cool. Any current promos, or am I paying $40?

It's still $35 at Fry's Electronics, but then there is shipping which almost defeats it.

I haven't played EO in a while. Is there a particular set of classes that works best in this one like how it was in the first game?

I'll be picking this and Fire Emblem up next week.
It's going to last me a very, very long time as it takes me ages to go through Etrian Odyssey games.

Super excited to get started, even though the 3D effect is kind of a letdown.

Tain

Will a physical copy of the game allow me to use different saves on different SD cards? Or are the saves always on the game cart?

Oops, didn't see this thread. Asked the following question in the demo thread: "Probably a dumb question, I ask this in other threads too, but is there much of a plot or narrative other than dungeon crawling in this EO game? I know the other ones were pretty bare bones in this department."

Larsen B

The worst thing is that I chose a pretty terrible Guild name in EO1 but there's no way, 3 games down the line, I could ever change it.

Oh well. I'm looking forward to the TBD European release. Feels weird not to have to import an Etrian game from VGP.

Eusis

Will a physical copy of the game allow me to use different saves on different SD cards? Or are the saves always on the game cart?
Can't think of a single 3DS game where it doesn't save to the game cart if played off one. I assume the same holds here.

It's another reason to possibly go DD, if you had multiple cards anyway and didn't mind switching just for this.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The demo also saved incredibly fast though that might have been because instead of trying to update the map for every floor of every dungeon it only worried about the areas already mapped.

Top Bottom