• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

I don't know about you guys, but with the time I have available, I'll be playing the game in casual mode because I really also love the mapping aspect of the game, and just want to enjoy the game for what it is and not get super frustrated if I get stuck somewhere.

I am in the same boat. I want to play this but I have to choose casual for time constraints also. I am glad that they do offer this mode for various reasons.

This is my first EO game and after playing the demo, I am pumped for this game.

zroid

Banned
I guess I will go with casual since it's my first EO, and I don't really have much experience with this sort of game. I hope it won't be too easy.

I preordered this bad boy at Amazon. Should get it on the day it comes out, but I will not be playing it until I finish Dragon Quest 9.

Ricker

I guess I will go with casual since it's my first EO, and I don't really have much experience with this sort of game. I hope it won't be too easy.

It's not..I am playing the demo on casual...just go and try and kill those Baboon in Old Mines if you are not levelled up a bit,they absolutly destroy you...for those fights,which have always been the ones that made me rage or stopped playing in EO 1,you will still need a good team,some skills in choosing what spells to use etc...the only thing I noticed on casual though is how I can use auto attack more often now and not worry about dying on regular ennemies hehe...

Sleepy

I only have money for one game for the foreseeable future and I cannot decide between this, FE:A, and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. The demos for EOIV and FE:A are both so good...AAAAAGHGGGHHHHH.

A few things from the digital manual you may or may not care about:

Casual mode: "In casual mode, if you lose in battle, you can restart from town. You will also start with some items that have unlimited uses." There are some medals/achievements you can't earn in casual mode.

There will be quests you can accept using QR codes, but you can only accept one at a time. If you accept another QR quest and you have progress on the first one, the first quest will be overwritten.

You can register another player's character to your guild. Some restrictions on them:

They need to be your level or lower.
They cannot earn experience.
They cannot change equipment.
They cannot rest or retire.

A rare/shiny FOE will never run.

Midou

I ordered both this and Soul Hackers, hope they don't end up too samey. Though I might put of one of them until I feel I'm in the mood for a dungeon crawler again.

Bururian

Does anyone know if that Broad-bladed sword from the merchant in B1 of the Lush Woodlans dungeon is any good for 1000en? I don't want to waste my time if there's something better in the shop.

Midou

I've always strongly disliked this series' artstyle, despite enjoying the games.

Yeah, they seem to get more and more 'moe' with every entry.. I had a hard time finding a portrait for each character in the demo that I liked. I mostly picked what bothered me the least.

Would be a cool feature to create your own portrait or import one that another user created. Although it might be a different complete style and theme to the actual game but I think it would be a nice addition imo.

Sleepy

Actually, is this game going to be difficult to find after launch? six months from now? If so, I think my choice is made.

Yeah, they seem to get more and more 'moe' with every entry.. I had a hard time finding a portrait for each character in the demo that I liked. I mostly picked what bothered me the least.

Yeah, each sequel seems to get more and more bondage lolis for my taste.

Stage On

Does anyone know if that Broad-bladed sword from the merchant in B1 of the Lush Woodlans dungeon is any good for 1000en? I don't want to waste my time if there's something better in the shop.

Trust me, that Sword is a total rip off of epic proportions

Kazerei

Banned

Say no a few times and he drops the price I think

I'm in love with the game, I played III for around 100 hours and now I'm a huge fan of the games.

I have been testing different builds and I have at least a level 10 of the 7 classes, can't wait to get my copy.

Glad to see these are still being localized. Got EO3 a while ago but never got around to playing it, will prob. do the same for EO4. Dungeon crawlers are a pretty big time investment.

Aeana

Finally started playing the EO4 demo. Set out earlier with my party of Fight, Heal, Shoot, Blast, and Mamoru. I completed all of the quests, and I think I'll leave it at that for now until I get the full game.

minty_jpg

Am I the only one who felt weird saving the data for when the game releases? I ended up deleting and will be starting over on Tuesday. I don't know...it felt dirty.

OceanBlue

So are EO games very hard? Should I expect to scrap my entire team and train a new one from scratch because I messed up a few skills? I might start a new game on Casual if that's the case.

TrickRoom

So are EO games very hard? Should I expect to scrap my entire team and train a new one from scratch because I messed up a few skills? I might start a new game on Casual if that's the case.

You can do a skill reset at the cost of 2 levels with the "Rest" option.

Eusis

You can do a skill reset at the cost of 2 levels with the "Rest" option.
And it used to be 10, but either way it was very hard to screw yourself over permanently. You'd have to do something crazy like blow through ALL of your money then reset everyone, and at worst you're basically just replaying from the start then anyway.

Am I the only one who felt weird saving the data for when the game releases? I ended up deleting and will be starting over on Tuesday. I don't know...it felt dirty.

lol, after spending 16 hours with the demo, I had no intentions of deleting it but I understand what you're saying.

Beating a shiny FOE and getting 9k experience is a great feeling, btw.

Might be too early to say but this may be my GOTY.

cjkeats

So excited. I can't wait to have that soundtrack!
I've always been interested in these games because the fun looking art style, and the map drawing, but never did get around to getting them. Played the demo to completion, and I've been grinding up every since.
Any reason to keep the other units levelled other than the team of 5 I got rolling from the start?

Saprol

Is the map drawing optional in all of these games or is that a casual mode only thing?

The game will automatically draw floor tiles you walk across, but it's up to you to add other details like shortcuts, gather points, walls, etc.

Volcynika

Both will probably be on the eShop and like I said before Soul Hackers is a good month and a half away. Regardless of time availability I imagine fund availability will be fine by then.

Remove the probably. Both are confirmed to be on eShop day one! :eek:

Soriku

I'd pick up EO4, unless you want to end up paying double down the road to play it.

None of the other EO games are that expensive.

Same with SMT games really. I think both will be OK. Then there's also a digital option.

Eusis

You can turn it on or off regardless of difficulty setting but like someone else said you have to add in other details.
In prior games it wouldn't track FOEs not on tiles you walked on anyway, so it's why I stuck with auto fill. I think this is different though.

And good for Soul Hackers to be confirmed, though I kind of expected that.

It's not..I am playing the demo on casual...just go and try and kill those Baboon in Old Mines if you are not levelled up a bit,they absolutly destroy you...for those fights,which have always been the ones that made me rage or stopped playing in EO 1,you will still need a good team,some skills in choosing what spells to use etc...the only thing I noticed on casual though is how I can use auto attack more often now and not worry about dying on regular ennemies hehe...

This is what that bolding was for earlier, Bururian: going in with hiding from frustration being a goal will mess up your emotional state somehow, somewhere, especially for a dungeon crawler rookie. "Overcoming" is a series' hallmark, and there will be an FOE trap, confusing multifloor layout, or boss that will force it upon you.

Finally started playing the EO4 demo. Set out earlier with my party of Fight, Heal, Shoot, Blast, and Mamoru. I completed all of the quests, and I think I'll leave it at that for now until I get the full game.

FUCK. I may have to rename my Fortress from Chie to this. :O

Is the map drawing optional in all of these games or is that a casual mode only thing?

Mandatory. The better you get at it, the safer and richer you are later.

Bururian

This is what that bolding was for earlier, Bururian: going in with hiding from frustration being a goal will mess up your emotional state somehow, somewhere, especially for a dungeon crawler rookie. "Overcoming" is a series' hallmark, and there will be an FOE trap, confusing multifloor layout, or boss that will force it upon you.

I see what you're saying now. I beat the first EO back in its first year, but by the end of it I was frustrated by the game as being a new player, it didn't feel too accessible. The casual mode will give me a little easier go at it with the 'back to town' if you die and not lose time playing from not saving frequently which happens to me a lot. I expect boss frustration, oh how I do. Rune masters are helping out a lot against FOE right now, however.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
lol, after spending 16 hours with the demo, I had no intentions of deleting it but I understand what you're saying.

Beating a shiny FOE and getting 9k experience is a great feeling, btw.

Might be too early to say but this may be my GOTY.

Which FOE did you shiny-ize?

Top Bottom