• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

epmode

It's another reason to possibly go DD

I'd love to. Believe me, I would. But not without a real account system where the games are tied to me and not my 3DS.

I'm looking forward to this regardless. I'm curious how much better the final version looks/sounds compared to the demo.

Eusis

I'd love to. Believe me, I would. But not without a real account system where the games are tied to me and not my 3DS.
Oh, it's a problem, but I'm going physical just because I want those goodies. If those weren't there and it actually had a good account system like Sony combined with the space freedom the 3DS currently has I'd be far more inclined to go DD.

very nice ot! really looking forward to digging into this...

edit:

I picked up the game earlier and for those that are wondering, when you choose "new game" it'll ask you if you want to transfer your data from the demo.

I chose yes, and it instantly picks up from where you left off in the demo.

Just make sure you save your game at least once after transferring cause if you don't, and you exit the game, it won't save your demo progress. After you transfer and save, feel free to delete the demo.

thanks for this, as well :) ...

Quixzlizx

I broke down and ordered it for $40. I think this is the first 3DS game I've paid the full $40 for that didn't have some sort of special offer attatched to it.

Yeah, me too. I'm not really a fan of paying $40, but it's not like the game is going to bomba. It's a shame Newegg hasn't had any preorder promos lately.

"Fight and Heal" will never die!

man, I want the game now! I think I've also scoured the internet for possible class/sub builds and even possible party set-ups. I've also been playing the demo several times during the past week.

Also, why no FOE song in an Etrian Odyssey thread?!

It's waiting for us to get bogged down in a random battle before joining in!

Oops, didn't see this thread. Asked the following question in the demo thread: "Probably a dumb question, I ask this in other threads too, but is there much of a plot or narrative other than dungeon crawling in this EO game? I know the other ones were pretty bare bones in this department."

"Why hey there, random adventurers! There's these HUGE labyrinths outside of town! Everyone who goes in dies! Wanna try?!?"

Shake up deep in with a twist, and we're done.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I have put a stupid amount of hours into the demo. More than I put into some full games. I am ready.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I really want the game, but with all the March releases coming out, I'm going to be tight on cash. Lovely OP too. It's a shame the character portrait art continues to go further downhill with every EO released, but at least this game has a ton of addition tweaks and features in it from EO3.

Koroviev

"I'm not going to get Etrian Odyssey IV at launch. I haven't even played Fire Emblem yet. Plus, there is always the option to buy digital down the road. Look, I even picked up this 16GB card in preparation! I don't need it right now. I don't have time for it anyway..."

Preordered and paid in full :(

Does anyone have a link to the original review that started the whole Fight and Heal thing? I haven't been able to find it again no matter how hard I searched.

Aeana

Sad face. Ah well. Why can't they use Strange Journey's for everything?
The 3DS (and PSP) allow the use of TrueType fonts, and that can be taken advantage of to great effect (as you can see with EO4, here). As nice as the EO2/3/SJ/RH font is, it's a fixed pixel font, which makes it inherently more difficult to work with.

epmode

Might be a dumb question but I'm not all that familiar with this series:

In a standard dungeon, should I be treating water as a wall when creating a map? I mean, I certainly can't walk over water and manually marking the floor as blue takes longer than just treating it as impassible terrain.

In other words, do we ever get the ability to travel over water in a dungeon area? Some kind of Float spell, perhaps?

cj_iwakura

The 3DS (and PSP) allow the use of TrueType fonts, and that can be taken advantage of to great effect (as you can see with EO4, here). As nice as the EO2/3/SJ/RH font is, it's a fixed pixel font, which makes it inherently more difficult to work with.

How so?

KarmaCow

I don't recall ever getting the ability to cross water though I think there are FOEs that can cross water. I could be making that up though.

DR2K

Banned
Preordered today, the hell did they decide to release it so close to Fire Emblem, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Luigi's Mansion?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I bought a 3DS for this game, and the demo made me feel very good about the purchase, one of the best demos I can remember.

As for suggestions for the thread, if we could keep those free QR codes in the OP it would really be handy for everyone.

cj_iwakura

Pixel fonts can only be displayed at the size they were designed at. TrueType fonts, on the other hand, can be resized easily since they're vector-based.

Is there a reason they've been using the P2 bubble font instead of the clean SJ font? Is it a DS thing?

Also, I'm not sure about the P2/SH fonts being the same...

VnFiC.png

p2is3.jpg

The Y in SH seems a lot better lined up. Resolution?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I preordered a while ago. I really hope I get it in the mail before Thursday.

Anyone else really like the music in the Demo? I don't recall any other EO music I liked as much, so I have high expectations for this game.

Koroviev

I preordered a while ago. I really hope I get it in the mail before Thursday.

Anyone else really like the music in the Demo? I don't recall any other EO music I liked as much, so I have high expectations for this game.

The soundtrack is excellent. I've been listening to it every now and again for months now.

zashga

Great OT. I'm super excited this game is (almost) finally here!

Also... those are some nice class demo videos that Atlus put together. Some interesting choices to be made in terms of party composition.

Bururian

Looking forward to this. Beat the first EO, and this looks great. I've spent some seven hours in the demo alone building up money and my current party to ready myself for Tuesday.

vall03

Yeah, saw that before, there's a lot of ?? though.

well, thats the only resource so far that we can use for skill trees. Im sure it will be updated after the US release but it might take some time. Theres also the JP wiki, but its kinda hard to read using Google Translate alone.

Dolgan

This game is one of the reasons I bought a NA 3DS (while living in Europe).

Game was shipped on thursday, so it should arrive in 5-10 days. This should give me enough time to decide what party I want to run.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just wanted to say Great OT! and good luck to all of those who buy the game when it comes out.

slayn

Yeah, saw that before, there's a lot of ?? though.
Even the japanese wiki doesn't have a lot of the missing numbers on the skill sim. I wanted to look up sniper bind success rate and %increase of drops with scavenger but it wasn't anywhere.

sphinx

the piano man
anyone going for a 100% file with EO4? all weapons in the store, max levels whenever possible, all sidequests, best equipment possible.

I did it for EO1, EO2 and EO3, easily took me over 150 hours for each....

I fear for my social life...

spoilerific question for those who already have played the game:

is there something like the
lucky hammer
from EO3
to force monsters to drop their items??

Totakeke

I tried out Dancer in the demo and then looked at their skill trees, but it seems that they're meh because they're kinda made for foe/boss fights and even then their skills aren't really that great.

I never really used chase skills though even in the previous EOs, what's the usual way of making them really useful?

slayn

I tried out Dancer in the demo and then looked at their skill trees, but it seems that they're meh because they're kinda made for foe/boss fights and even then their skills aren't really that great.

I never really used chase skills though even in the previous EOs, what's the usual way of making them really useful?
The chase and link skills in this seem very different than past games so I'm not sure old experience will apply. For the dancer it looks like it will just generate a lot of free attacks very simply. I particularly like the aspect that it's just a buff so the dancer can be doing other things while getting constant free attacks in the process.

Personally I plan to rely on a dancer as my primary healer. Based on my experience with the demo I found that with a dancer I didn't need a medic and the dancer's offense wasn't bad even in normal fights. Better than a fortress anyway. And they can use bows and so can be a back row unit that doesn't suck balls against normal enemies without expending TP.

tuffy

I've been hurrying through Fire Emblem in normal/permadeath mode in order to get a playthrough out of my backlog before EOIV arrives on Tuesday, and it looks like I'm going to manage it after all.

My demo party isn't quite maxed out since I'd been resting and reorganizing them to try different build strategies, and there's only so much grinding I can do on the first floor of the dungeon. Looks like I'll be sticking with L/F/S/R/M in the short term (a revenge fortress looks like it has a lot of potential in boss fights) but I'm sure that's bound to change once new classes/subclasses open up.

I went a little overboard on the demo. I have about eight of those skill books the Pookas drop and the kangaroos are completely wiped out right now (haven't respawned yet). I'm going to load up my game and go to that second off-limit cave over where the two kangaroos are and see if I can survive there. Maybe I can get some drops that will unlock good gear since I have like 20k gold.

two days left

Jarekx

Damn, I forgot about this. With this, Monster hunter next month, and then Soul Hackers in April I'm gonna be overloaded on gaming goodness. Not to mention the Triple A stuff I'll be trying to fit in next month.

My wallet weeps but luckily I got a quarterly bonus at work to lessen that burden. :p

Bururian

I don't know about you guys, but with the time I have available, I'll be playing the game in casual mode because I really also love the mapping aspect of the game, and just want to enjoy the game for what it is and not get super frustrated if I get stuck somewhere.

I don't know about you guys, but with the time I have available, I'll be playing the game in casual mode because I really also love the mapping aspect of the game, and just want to enjoy the game for what it is and not get super frustrated if I get stuck somewhere.

:p

It'd be funny as fuck if those squirrels are in this and nabbed those infinite ATs as well till you got back to town.

Top Bottom