• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic Park 3D |OT| It's a UNIX system! I know this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

jp3dlogockyx5.jpg

tumblr_mj5bwe2krq1r9gzzuo1.gif
tumblr_mj5bwe2krq1r9gwtu1z.gif
tumblr_mj5bwe2krq1r9g4ypr8.gif

Jurassic Park 3D - Trailer

Jurassic Park 3D - TV Spot: "Welcome"

Jurassic Park 3D - TV Spot: "Faster"

Jurassic Park 3D - TV Spot: "Park"

Jurassic Park 3D - TV Spot: "Feel Safe"

Jurassic Park 3D - TV Spot: "Heartbeat"

Reviews / Impressions

Review - ComingSoon.net
Is "Jurassic Park" worth checking out in 3D? If you have kids that haven't seen it before or if you're simply a fan of the film, then yes. But if that doesn't apply to you, then you'll probably want to wait for "Jurassic Park 4."

Review - EW.com
I couldn’t be happier that a new generation gets the chance to experience Spielberg's Jaws-with-claws creature feature on the big screen. The good news is that Jurassic Park is still one of the giddiest joy rides that Hollywood has ever engineered. The bad news is that the film’s 3-D makeover is pretty pointless.

If you see more reviews or impressions, post them and I will add them to the OP.

T.O.P

Banned
Oh Italy :(

Can't wait to rewatch this, maybe i'll take my parents along too like they did with me back in the day :3

looking at those reviews, i dont understand why they dont also show in 2D.

there are people that dont like 3D or dont want to see it in 3D.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
do they only have one VHS tape or something?

I thought it is all digital these days, allowing low cost global distribution?

jett

D-Member
Recently rewatched this movie on blu-ray. Definitely would not overpay to watch a barely noticeable 3D version of it.

Recently rewatched this movie on blu-ray. Definitely would not overpay to watch a barely noticeable 3D version of it.
I've heard quite the opposite from folks in the other JP threads who saw previews during Oz in Imax.

The film feels like it should have been 3D all along with the various dino scenes and cinematography.

jett

D-Member
I've heard quite the opposite from folks in the other JP threads who saw previews during Oz in Imax.

The film feels like it should have been 3D all along with the various dino scenes and cinematography.

I've seen a few converted movies now, they're all the same. Mostly unnoticeable effect. And there's that EW review in the OP.

Saw this on Saturday morning in an advanced screening and it was amazing. I also won tickets for another advanced screening tonight, so Ill see it again haha.

So, something interesting to note.. they retouched the CG:

4. Respecting the original. During the 3D conversion of "Jurassic Park," pains were taken not to significantly alter scenes or add new sound effects to the original soundtrack. Eagle-eyed viewers will, however, notice certain changes, such as the addition of rain in foreground when the film's massive T. rex is first shown, splinters breaking toward the camera as an SUV falls down a tree, and enhanced scales on the film's dinosaurs.

http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2013/04/take_5_the_jurassic_park_3d_ed.html#incart_river

Its weird, because the CG doesn't look new or retouched, but at the same time it doesn't look as aged as it did on the Blu Ray. Whatever they did was subtle but worked really well.. Its too bad they didn't retouch the Brachiosaurus sneezing scene though, it didn't hold up that well then.

Take my word for it, its worth it. The 3D is very noticeable and is surprisingly well done. The conversion was done by the same studio that did Titanic, and this looks even better (except for a few scenes with fog) IMO. The Tyrannosaurus Rex breakout scene in the rain looks incredible in 3D...it just...works. On top of that, the picture quality is entirely remastered from the Blu Ray looking a TON better and the sound is remastered as well. I heard so much stuff I never heard with my own surround system, and that includes elements of the music, particularly bass synthy sounding stuff.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen a few converted movies now, they're all the same. Mostly unnoticeable effect. And there's that EW review in the OP.
I am firmly in the "3D conversions suck" camp. BUT this is clearly the best one to date by miles, not quite native but leagues ahead of garbage conversions like Avengers or Alice in Wonderland.

Go see it if you want to be 12 again and see the best JP on a huge screen with awesome sound. The 3D is a bonus but not a detriment.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
My screening filled up three people ahead of me. :|

Got a voucher for a Navy Pier IMAX screening of Oblivion in two weeks though, which I kinda consider a net gain. Will just have to show up a lot fuckin earlier. I thought a half hour would be enough, shows what I know.

black_13

Banned
Been seeing a ton of ads for this. Might just check it out. My dad and sister watched it in theatres when it came out and they still say it was one of the best movie experiences they had.

TehOh

Will there be any 2D screenings? 3D gives me a headache, but I'd love to see Jurassic Park in a theater again.

[edit]

Looks like one theater near me has a 2D once a day at 2:20. Hmm.. Might go on a Saturday afternoon.

Snaku

Banned
Bought my tickets for Friday night, imax baby! By far my most beloved film of all time. I cannot wait to feel like a kid again.

equap

Banned
some lady in the row behind me was watching JP for the first time. she made a great movie even greater.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Thanks for ordering from Fandango
Your confirmation information appears below.
Showtime & Theater Details
Movie : Jurassic Park 3D
Date : Thursday, April 4, 2013
Time : 10:00pm

This will be my 4th time seeing it in a theater. (and I'll most likely pick up the 3D blu-ray unless my Sony monitor craps out between now and then)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom