• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer 7: The Official Thread

Murasame

You're welcome everyone. I was also really disappointed by the crappy sales this game made. I'm surprised they even bothered to make a book like this, all things considered. Still, it gives me hope that someday they'll put some of the material from the book into a sequel game.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Murasame said:
You're welcome everyone. I was also really disappointed by the crappy sales this game made. I'm surprised they even bothered to make a book like this, all things considered. Still, it gives me hope that someday they'll put some of the material from the book into a sequel game.

Well, I was hoping he would make a Killer7 sequal or spin off using the Rev controller and the nunchaku attackment. I mean, doesn't that combination scream perfect for what this game is? DOwn to the tee - the walking with the analague stick, and the attacking with the FPS-remote?

However, in his last interview, he said his next game would be "better than Killer7." Which leads me to believe it will be something else... but that could also mean that the sequal will be better than the original :)

I doubt they spent so much time and effort coming up with all this supplemental material for a game world they are just going to let die. How big is Grasshopper Studios? The game probably didnt have too large of a budget.

Are we at 50k WW sales yet, does anyone know?

Oni Jazar

I actually just got this game recently from Gamefly and have been giving it a whirl.

Now I'm a very open minded person, and I appreciate that the team tried to do something different, but there are serious problems with Killer 7. This is after playing the first two chapters.

The biggest one IMO is the loading. Ok so the game is on rails. Which isn't such a bad thing mind you. In fact, I liked it because it took a load off my shoulders. I knew if something was important in a room the game would let me know without me having to explore every nook. But because of this, you walk through rooms very quickly. Having the game load for pretty much every single room got very annoying very fast, and I played this on the GC mind you so I don't even want to know how the PS2 fared.

The in-game conversations. Holy hell are they tedious. They should've just gone and went with recorded voice. Having to sit through repetative, cryptic, intelligable whispers to get just a snippet of information was very annoying.

Finally the game was pretty unforgiving. There was one smiling angel that I had to shoot at this particular spot or it was instant death. I appreciate a challenging game but there are some pretty unfair surprises that jump at you and having the long loading times make it frustrating to get you back to where you were.

Ok after the bitching I'll say that this game reeks of badassness. I love the style, I love the characters. Being the wheelchair guy and pulling out his bad ass gun was sweet. My favorite Smith is easily the dual gun guy. Super fast with super quick reload skillz.

Anyway, those are my innitial thoughts. I'm going to continue on but unfortunately my dog chewed the hell out of disc two . :(

Kakusha

Oni Jazar said:
I'm going to continue on but unfortunately my dog chewed the hell out of disc two . :(

Woah, how did that happen?
Isn't disc 2 supposed to be in the case while 1's in the Cube? :D

In the name of Harman.

Oni Jazar

Kakusha said:
Woah, how did that happen?
Isn't disc 2 supposed to be in the case while 1's in the Cube? :D

In the name of Harman.

I didn't have the case it was in Gamefly's paper sleeve which he chewed up too.

Oni Jazar

Shinoobi said:
I'm not suprised, Mr. I-can't-stand-3-seconds-of-loading. :p

3 seconds is one thing... but 3 seconds of loading every 5 seconds of walking is another. :p

LOL and WTF is up with that last link. :lol

John Harker

Those links scare me.

But yea, you gotta just bear with the first few chapters...

Iwarzu is really fucking annoying at first. Then you get used to his patterns, and realize he usually isn't just babbling, he is usually always giving you clues.

And your not always in a tight spot.

In the name of Harman...

John Harker

siamesedreamer said:
Just got done with this game.

I'm at a complete loss. Can't wait to read through this thread in the morning....... :)

Tell me you didnt love it.

Anyone have handy the sales information Capcom just let out?

The one that says this game did like, 300k WW?
AWSOMENESS.

Hard to swallow though. Must be shipped. Still, this game didn't have a large
development team. I'm thinking they did profit on it. Profit = Capcom happy.
Capcom happy = Suda happy. Suda happy = More KILLER7!!

John Harker said:
Tell me you didnt love it.

Anyone have handy the sales information Capcom just let out?

The one that says this game did like, 300k WW?
AWSOMENESS.

Hard to swallow though. Must be shipped. Still, this game didn't have a large
development team. I'm thinking they did profit on it. Profit = Capcom happy.
Capcom happy = Suda happy. Suda happy = More KILLER7!!

i loved it, but i dont think i'd play another killer7...

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
OK time to bump a semi-old thread...

Purchased Killer 7 back in October when I went on a big backlog buying spree and noticed Fry's had it for $20 which was my magic price point. Took it home and it was the first to get a spin but I quickly lost interest...Until two days ago.

HOLY SHIT!

I honestly don't know how I feel about this game. I mean I love it for being so fresh and so insanely weird but then I hate it for being so simplistic in gameplay and for being so insanely weird.

Gotta say I'd love a sequel with all of the problems fixed but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Fuck the haters.

John Harker

I feel you man.

One of my most pleasent surprises and one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences of this gen.

And i frickin' paid $49.99 for it, too.

Plenty to unlock though, so good replay value.

However, tell me this game wouldn't work wonders on the Rev?

The graphics can be done nicely, and the Revmote?

I mean, you walk with the nunchuck and scan with the L1 button on it, enter first person mode, and fire away with the controller. Brilliant!

Suda, do it!

oh, and the comics come out soon.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
John Harker said:
Plenty to unlock though, so good replay value.
Yeah I just finished it but being a Capcom game I figured there would be some sort of fun unlockables. I can't think of a recent Capcom game that hasn't had some sort of post game unlockables.

John Harker said:
oh, and the comics come out soon.
Tell me more.

EDIT: Oh! The music kicks ass! Extremely understated at times and then just kick ass.

Tarazet

Oni Jazar said:
I actually just got this game recently from Gamefly and have been giving it a whirl.

Now I'm a very open minded person, and I appreciate that the team tried to do something different, but there are serious problems with Killer 7. This is after playing the first two chapters.

The biggest one IMO is the loading. Ok so the game is on rails. Which isn't such a bad thing mind you. In fact, I liked it because it took a load off my shoulders. I knew if something was important in a room the game would let me know without me having to explore every nook. But because of this, you walk through rooms very quickly. Having the game load for pretty much every single room got very annoying very fast, and I played this on the GC mind you so I don't even want to know how the PS2 fared.

The in-game conversations. Holy hell are they tedious. They should've just gone and went with recorded voice. Having to sit through repetative, cryptic, intelligable whispers to get just a snippet of information was very annoying.

Take heart - the loading in the GC version is much better than the PS2 version. I sold my PS2 copy because it was driving me up the wall, and the platinum 'Cube is serving me much better now.

Vard

Hmm... I was just gonna ask if anyone thought the PS2 version was worth trading in for the GC version. I got it as a gift for the PS2 when I wanted the GC version, mainly because I was worried about load times and other things like the fact that I have more space on my GC memory card. So I'm guessing I should stick with my decision and go through the trouble of exchanging it for the GC?

Are there any plus sides for playing the PS2 version of the game instead of the GC one?

John Harker

Vard said:
Hmm... I was just gonna ask if anyone thought the PS2 version was worth trading in for the GC version. I got it as a gift for the PS2 when I wanted the GC version, mainly because I was worried about load times and other things like the fact that I have more space on my GC memory card. So I'm guessing I should stick with my decision and go through the trouble of exchanging it for the GC?

Are there any plus sides for playing the PS2 version of the game instead of the GC one?

No.

The control is SLIGHTLY better with the GC version, but the loadtime is almost twice as good on GC.

PS2 was just weakly ported over from the initial GC version.

isnt GC two discs?

twodiscsforduhpoowittlegamecoooob

crying_baby.jpg

kasavin

Jive Turkey said:
OK time to bump a semi-old thread...

I honestly don't know how I feel about this game. I mean I love it for being so fresh and so insanely weird but then I hate it for being so simplistic in gameplay and for being so insanely weird.

I maintain that the gameplay is simplistic and mindless on purpose, for reasons alluded to towards the conclusion. I know exactly how I feel about Killer7: I love it. Was just playing it again today and was reminded how good some of the dialogue is. The first exchange between Harman Smith and Kun Lan is priceless.

Polari

Oh man, I just bought this game and I'm wondering why I waited so long; it's fantastic, one of the best adventure games I've played for a very long time. I do have a bit of a problem with the presentation, for a game with such great graphics and art direction, the fact that they totally missed other areas is disappointing (like the "static" and the TV in Harman's Room both look sloppy and "inspired" by Rampage: World Tour :/). Also, what the fuck is up with not being able to switch to inverse aiming in game, and the game not saving your preference to memory card anyway?

A sequel on Revolution with the magic wand would be amazing. If you love inspired aesthetics and intriguing, novel gameplay, run, don't walk to your nearest videgame store. Seriously, I haven't had this much fun since Resident Evil 4. Although the controls maybe be limited, you never feel as if you're limited by them. It would have been nice if they'd just adoped the Resident Evil 4-style perspective for aiming though.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
kasavin said:
I maintain that the gameplay is simplistic and mindless on purpose, for reasons alluded to towards the conclusion. I know exactly how I feel about Killer7: I love it. Was just playing it again today and was reminded how good some of the dialogue is. The first exchange between Harman Smith and Kun Lan is priceless.
Going back and playing it through again I have to say you're 100% correct, sir.

The comic profile from http://www.devilsdue.net/killer7

killer 7 #1
Writer: Arvid Nelson
Artist: Bong Dazo (El Dazo)
Inker: n/a
Cover: Sanford Greene

Color: B&W
Pages: 32
Format: Standard Comic
Price: $2.95
Diamond Order#: tba
UPC# 882142-00116-00101

When a volley of earth-shattering nuclear missiles are launched at Japan, it’s up to a group of assassins known as the killer 7 to stop the launch before Japan is reduced to an irradiated smear. The strike is linked to the Yakumo, a world-wide conspiracy responsible for a plague of zombie terrorists known as “Heaven’s Smiles”. The fate of millions of people hangs in the balance.

Apparently the comic will be black and white. That's quite a shame, and probably the reason for the comic being so cheap. I'm interested still but would rather pay some more for a colored version.

Edit: They got two wallpapers too:

http://www.devilsdue.net/promo-materia/k7-1-1600x1200.jpg
http://www.devilsdue.net/promo-materia/k7-2-1600x1200.jpg

Edit2: OMG, you can buy a Dan Smith statue for 120 dollars.

Check it here: http://www.devil-dealer.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=1070784|1324665&PRID=1541383

biodegradablebean said:
Apparently the comic will be black and white. That's quite a shame, and probably the reason for the comic being so cheap.

Dude, $3 for a comic book isn't "cheap" that's the standard price for most comics.

MrDaravon

FYI, Kmart's having another 50% off Blue-Light sale today and tommorrow, and a bunch of games are on it, including this (both versions). I got this and Devil May Cry 3 today for 14.99 each.

koam

I FINALLY pick up the game. I'm in the second stage and so far, I'm really loving this game. It's very nicely done and very unique too.

Tarazet

I need to get the GCN version for good. I got the PS2 game at the TRU sale, but I keep selling off my GCN copies to interested CAGs and GAFers. :D

koam

The loading isn't bad, I don't know why people were complaining about it. I do have the GCN version though.

SpiffyG

koam said:
The loading isn't bad, I don't know why people were complaining about it. I do have the GCN version though.
It didn't bother me until I heard people complaining about it. I guess the loading isn't too long, but there is a lot of it (between every door).

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
koam said:
Yeah the GCN version isn't terrible for loading times but since you load every time you enter a new room or you start a new conversation they add up real fast. Now imagine the beautiful load times of the PS2 and all the frequent loading...

Kevtones

koam said:
I FINALLY pick up the game. I'm in the second stage and so far, I'm really loving this game. It's very nicely done and very unique too.

Hell yeah, good to hear! E-handshake! Anyhow, the game gets better and better. Second best game of the year behind RE4!

Kevtones

Jive Turkey said:
Going back and playing it through again I have to say you're 100% correct, sir.

I need to comment on this as well....how many people have played through it more than once? If you really pay close attention to the story during your first playthrough, it becomes exponentially cooler the second time through. You pick up things. Foreshadowing, details, things make sense. And its fucking cool!

John Harker

Kevtones said:
I need to comment on this as well....how many people have played through it more than once? If you really pay close attention to the story during your first playthrough, it becomes exponentially cooler the second time through. You pick up things. Foreshadowing, details, things make sense. And its fucking cool!

Is the story or plot any different? With the addition of the
"extra character" in K8?
It's been months since I last played, so I started again and I'm only on ch 2, but I'm so rusty with the added difficulty I'm finding it hard to play again. Is it worth it, or do they ignore him? No new tidbits?

Kevtones

John Harker said:
Is the story or plot any different? With the addition of the
"extra character" in K8?
It's been months since I last played, so I started again and I'm only on ch 2, but I'm so rusty with the added difficulty I'm finding it hard to play again. Is it worth it, or do they ignore him? No new tidbits?

No, its not necessarily that more is said. Its just what they say (all the cryptic comments and blurbs that were seemingly incoherent) starts to make a lot more sense in very cool ways. It might be tough if its been awhile (because you won't be very fresh on the story) to really get the most out of a second playthrough sadly.

koam

I'm in afro town right now, I'm really digging this game and I'm pissed off that I didn't get this at launch. I wonder if they'll make a prequel since you start at assignment 30-something.

Edit: I just noticed something, Kevin Smith (in the game) NEVER talks (Silent Bob anyone?), that's brilliant.

Master!

This is too much!

Just finished the GC version. Man, this game was really something else. It's not the best playing game in any applicable catagory, but it is definitely a stand-out title that is damn near incomparable in its medium.

I appreciate the on-rails approach, a lot. It took away the tendency to explore the ass-crack of every room in the likelihood I became stuck somewhere by letting me know up front what I could interact with and what needed attention. Because of this, I never used the map.

I'm not going to dwell on it too much, but if people can play Resident Evil, why is Killer7 such a fucking abomination? The similarities in gameplay are unmistakable. And, for all the people that swear by C-type REmake controls, pressing A instead is somehow less intuitive? I think the lot of you just want every game that looks the same to play the same, which I find to be disappointing in the very least. (But, then again, I'm not the conformist type.)

Going by the plot analysis at GameFAQs, I found the following things amusing:

Garcian's "Son of a bitch!" is,
considering Emir's mother
, a deathly amusing Freudian slip.

Going by the "game within a game" theme,
what Garcian says on a defeated persona's screen fits the widely accepted notion of how videogames desensitize players. I think the "button tapping mini-game" to revive your player (complete with "x/sec" scoring and old-school arcade sound bytes) gives a little more weight to that particular theme.

I am horribly uneducated in the matters of history and politics. It's just not my bag, you see. Only after reading the plot analysis could I even begin to get a grasp on all that was going on in the background of Killer7, and what ultimately led to Garcian's deciding Matsuken's fate in "Lion." Ironically, being a "dog" sealed "my" fate and played right into the writers' theme. Damn. Nice touch, though.

The greatest bit of irony, though, is the actual game of Killer7.
Once again referring to the plot analysis, one of the themes in the story is how Japanese culture and philosophies "invade" America under the guise of pop culture entertainment and subservience to America's Capitalism. If you've finished the game, I shouldn't even have to spell this out for you. :) The stand-off with the Handsome Men lends itself to this interpretation somewhat, but that's just a cherry on top of the sundae.

"Andrei Ulmeyda." That shit is straight up "anime" in its most goofy of character-naming conventions, and it amuses me greatly. That whole episode was great, actually. I was almost expecting Spike Spiegel to make a cameo.

Oh, and Mask de Smith? More like Badass de Motherfucker going against the regenerator at Union Hotel. Fuck, it was a great cast of characters all around.

In the name of Harman...

Killer7 is going to spoil me on game stories for some time to come. It doesn't beat you over the head with re-stating the obvious. It also somehow -- and this is where its brilliance has brushes with irony once again -- made the
political struggle
out to be nothing but background noise after "Sunset" that came roaring back into the foreground at the last minute in "Lion."

In most RPGs (not a fair comparison, I know), I'm often crticized for reading the text so fast that others watching can't keep up. My rationale for this is that there is actually very little being said that is actually noteworthy or relevant to the situation at hand. This is sometimes supported by games that have to highlight important words and phrases in brackets or different colored fonts.

And on the other side of the spectrum, we have Killer7 -- where most of the dialogue is unintelligible at face value, but I couldn't help but pay close attention to it because 1.) it's amusing in its absurdity, and 2.) it often held at least a grain of significance. (Although, by the end of "Sunset," I stopped talking to Yoon-Hyun.)

Teddman said:
The gamefaqs plot analysis is ridiculously in-depth, to the point where it needs Cliff's Notes.

Yep. It took me several hours to read it, and I'm still not finished. Despite what I say above, I'm actually a very slow reader.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
This game was fucking awesome and I'm so glad I ignored the haters on GAF and bought it. I've been on a roll with buying games before doing research on them... I did MGS3 that way and it turned out to be phenomenal (not exactly a far reach though) and the same with SC:CT. And now Killer 7. I've been realllly lucky in my buys lately. :)

One thing I'm wondering, though, is when
Garcian killed everyone. Was it before the game sometime? After? During?

I dunno, there's just so much stuff here that I have to digest. I'm going to end up playing through it again to try to pick up the intricacies of the story. I really think I'm missing something obvious with the Harlan thing. Harlan had to exist cuz of his body there.

Hm. I think this might be one of those games where you just gotta chill on all it's trying to do, like MGS2, and piece it together one at a time. But Ulmeyda was awesome, and I love how they made him the tragic character in all of it. Plus, the shit with the whole city actually being a testing ground for the US Gov't was sweet. It was almost a throwback to those oldschool horror/alien movies.

loved this game. i wish there was a way i could download the cutscenes cuz I'd love to watch them over and over.... especially the
one with Curtis going nuts on Pedro; Dan killing the illustrator; and...ahh who am I kidding? I loved pretty much every single cutscene. ESPECIALLy the one with garcian killing them all.

pj

Banned
whytemyke said:
loved this game. i wish there was a way i could download the cutscenes cuz I'd love to watch them over and over....

Me too. Maybe some generous person with a capture card and some free time could help us all out

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE

whytemyke said:
This game was fucking awesome and I'm so glad I ignored the haters on GAF and bought it. I've been on a roll with buying games before doing research on them... I did MGS3 that way and it turned out to be phenomenal (not exactly a far reach though) and the same with SC:CT. And now Killer 7. I've been realllly lucky in my buys lately. :)

That's a good way to avoid being told what to like/dislike in a game. It's how I like to roll, but it takes some effort to shut out the more vocal lovers/haters.

One thing I'm wondering, though, is when
Garcian killed everyone. Was it before the game sometime? After? During?

Before.

Keihart

Is this is in gaming or archived? Anyway, didn't want to make a LTTP so i'm necroing this.
I'm like 3 hours in and just finished the first mission, what a fucking great game, gameplay wise and style wise. This was like the last i was going to give Suda51's games to make me like them, and this is definitely achieving it.

I think i'll try to give it a go to shadow of the damn or the silver case after this, maybe one of those it's actually good too. Killer7 feels so experimental in the gamplay and even story telling for video games, kinda nuts to me since NMH, Chainsaw lollypop, Killer is Dead and Let it Die all felt so bare bones design wise while still having lots of style, but somehow i felt like there was no style put into the mechanics. Killer7 feels very cohesive in the other hand.

I'm pretty sure i'm finishing this like in a week or 2 at most, it's too much fun.

iu

Last edited:

Jeeves

Is this is in gaming or archived? Anyway, didn't want to make a LTTP so i'm necroing this.
I'm like 3 hours in and just finished the first mission, what a fucking great game, gameplay wise and style wise. This was like the last i was going to give Suda51's games to make me like them, and this is definitely achieving it.

I think i'll try to give it a go to shadow of the damn or the silver case after this, maybe one of those it's actually good too. Killer7 feels so experimental in the gamplay and even story telling for video games, kinda nuts to me since NMH, Chainsaw lollypop, Killer is Dead and Let it Die all felt so bare bones design wise while still having lots of style, but somehow i felt like there was no style put into the mechanics. Killer7 feels very cohesive in the other hand.

I'm pretty sure i'm finishing this like in a week or 2 at most, it's too much fun.

iu
Now that's quite a necromancy, but a good one! Killer7 is the most interesting game I've ever played, and in my opinion the closest a game narrative has come to literature. When you're done, I recommend looking at this plot analysis for maximum satisfaction:

I know it's a lot to read, but for me it's the best part. At least go over the 'questions and answers' bit.

Suda sadly hasn't even remotely approached this level of depth ever since. I need to get around to playing The Silver Case and The 25th Ward.

Top Bottom