• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer 7: The Official Thread

I beat it at 2AM this morning despite today being my first day of classes. Of course the first thing I did when I got home was start a new game under
killer8 mode
. This game is simply fantastic.

basik

Agent Icebeezy said:
For the life of me, this preacher is the funniest thing I've ever seen in a videogame

Ah, fuck it, I captured it and upped it

http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1IK44NDRBDKUX3L1S20V1V8GBI

This makes me laugh till my stomach hurts

someone re-up this?

I got the gc version, beat it in a few days, loved it. I can see why some people who dont like abstract stuff would hate it.. The storyline FAQ on gamefaqs helps alot for those who care.

Did some research, and as already stated in this thread, "Hand In Glove" is a song by the group, "The Smiths". So judging by the hint on Grasshopper's website...And the fact that they are recruiting for a new project...And the end of Killer 7.

A sequel may actually be in production as we speak.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
ToyMachine228 said:
Did some research, and as already stated in this thread, "Hand In Glove" is a song by the group, "The Smiths". So judging by the hint on Grasshopper's website...And the fact that they are recruiting for a new project...And the end of Killer 7.

A sequel may actually be in production as we speak.

The game sold what, 12K in Japan?

22K in America?

And a sequal........?

::cue Weezer::

Oh yeah
Alright
Feels good
Inside

Say it ain't so
Your drug is a heartbreaker
Say it ain't so
My love is a life taker

THAT WOULD BE GREAT, DO IT

John Harker said:
The game sold what, 12K in Japan?

22K in America?

And a sequal........?

::cue Weezer::

Oh yeah
Alright
Feels good
Inside

Say it ain't so
Your drug is a heartbreaker
Say it ain't so
My love is a life taker

THAT WOULD BE GREAT, DO IT
I doubt a sequel could be done. A prequel however - now that I'd be interested in.

U K Narayan said:
I doubt a sequel could be done.

Why do you say that? After the Killer 7 credits roll, it says "The End?" as if it's questioning whether or not the story is actually over. And then you see
Kun Lan and Harman Smith in the future in Tokyo
. So there's definitely room for a sequel.

ToyMachine228 said:
Why do you say that? After the Killer 7 credits roll, it says "The End?" as if it's questioning whether or not the story is actually over. And then you see
Kun Lan and Harman Smith in the future in Tokyo
. So there's definitely room for a sequel.
I guess that could be used as material for a sequel, but with
Emir going back to his old self - I don't really know, I guess they would have the plot revolve around someone else, but it wouldn't feel the same.

I would like a prequel more than a sequel right now, because - evidently - the Killer7 had missions pre-dating the game's events.

Ironclad

As listed in the latest "deal" thread, the game has dropped to $19.99 at Fry's. My Fry's had a whole bunch of copies underneath the shelves where they keep the games, but they still had the $29.99 tag on it. Needless to say, I picked up a copy for 20 bucks. Gamecube version. Oddly enough, they didn't have any of the PS2 version. If you've got a Fry's near you, don't hesitate to pick this up.

pj

Banned
I bought this when it dropped to $30 at ebgames.com. I love it. It's a lot funnier, weirder and more fun than I was expecting. The puzzles are usually pretty obvious, but the combat and boss battles are great.

We're in a tight spot!

I love it so much that I made an avatar for another forum I frequent..

killer7.gif

Ironclad

Did you get the comic book as well? If so, how is it? I missed out on the comic book. EB stopped giving the website away with the game on their site.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
basik said:
someone re-up this?

I got the gc version, beat it in a few days, loved it. I can see why some people who dont like abstract stuff would hate it.. The storyline FAQ on gamefaqs helps alot for those who care.

Ah shit, I'm on my way to bed. If no one does it by the time I get home from work tomorrow. I'll do it again

pj

Banned
Ironclad_Ninja said:
Did you get the comic book as well? If so, how is it? I missed out on the comic book. EB stopped giving the website away with the game on their site.

I got the comic book, but it arrived a little bent so I put it under some books and then forgot about it. I'll go take a look at it

Edit: It's basically a very short retelling of the first few minutes of the game, nothing to get excited about

pj

Banned
Ok, I just beat the game and then read the gamefaqs plot faq. Now I feel like a complete retard because I missed like 90% of the meaning of everything. I think my biggest problems were my terrible memory of names and that I dismissed a lot of the weirdness as just being present for the sake of weirdness, when it actually was very relevant to the story

I'm at the first Ayame fight in killer 8 mode and it's a pain in the butt. I had to let Dan go since he's in a spot that's nearly impossible for Garcian to reach without dying. By the way, do your dead characters come back if you beat a level? I've never actually tried it. Anyway, my main question was how most people were able to beat Ayame the easiest. Even with
Harman
it's incredibly difficult since she takes a lot of hits to take down in the hardest difficulty.

pj

Banned
ratcliffja said:
I'm at the first Ayame fight in killer 8 mode and it's a pain in the butt. I had to let Dan go since he's in a spot that's nearly impossible for Garcian to reach without dying. By the way, do your dead characters come back if you beat a level? I've never actually tried it. Anyway, my main question was how most people were able to beat Ayame the easiest. Even with
Harman
it's incredibly difficult since she takes a lot of hits to take down in the hardest difficulty.

I used coyote on normal, because he's the coolest and I use him for everything, but the best tactic is to try to get parallel to her path, so you have the longest period of time where she's coming almost directly at you

Since you're on playing in killer 8 mode..
Is there any way to reliably get criticals on smiles? I'm not very far, but it seems to be random..

John Harker

ratcliffja said:
Harman

I haven't checked the thread in awhile, so your probably already passed this part, but what the hell...

Just use Mask and shoot grenanes into the light circles right before she runs into them - stand still, in a corner so you can get maximum visage of the path she is running on, and just keep firing ahead of her into the circles of light, and she'll keep running into your explosions. Took me awhile to beat her first time, I kept trying to follow her racing with Con :)

I know we already posted a lot on odd storybits, but I dont think anyone answered this question...

Does anyone KNOW what Mask keeps getting upgrades?
And only him?
I don't understand, why does he evolve like 4 times? Sometimes randomly?
And no other character -other than Dan, once- gets these upgrades?

Just...... doesn't make sense to me. Especially the last evolution, there isnt even any badguys to fight at that late point in the game!

Oh, and Killer7 kicks ass. And I've said it again.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Wow just wow..Just finished the game. I'm blown away by the way the unfolds towards the end. Last game that made me feel this way was MGS 3. If anyone is on the fence about buying this game..BUY IT. Its only 30 bucks now and its worth 60 imo.

PS..Dan smith and Garcian Smith are the coolest mofos ever to grace my tv. Garcian Smith is the coolest black character in a game ive ever seen. No def jam here!

AirBrian

pj325is said:
I bought this when it dropped to $30 at ebgames.com. I love it. It's a lot funnier, weirder and more fun than I was expecting. The puzzles are usually pretty obvious, but the combat and boss battles are great.

We're in a tight spot!

I love it so much that I made an avatar for another forum I frequent..

killer7.gif
Wow, that's a cool avatar.

I finished the game this weekend. I loved the ending! Garcian is just so...bad-ass.

So what ending did everyone choose?

I chose to kill the guy. Seemed like what the character would do.

John Harker

AirBrian said:
Wow, that's a cool avatar.

I finished the game this weekend. I loved the ending! Garcian is just so...bad-ass.

So what ending did everyone choose?

I chose to kill the guy. Seemed like what the character would do.

Both!

woohoo right-before-boss save points, haha

Tarazet

I must be out of my mind, because I've been stocking up on Killer7 stuff. I now have, either in-hand or in the mail, four copies of the game - two sealed, two to play - plus the strategy guide, plus a poster, plus some weird Killer7 multitool. I didn't exactly break my bank to get all that stuff, but I laid out a good $110 total.

I'm just starting to get the feeling that this game is destined for cult status, maybe not a following of the feverish pitch of Rez but something fairly measurable. The print seems to have been quite low: as of August NPD, Capcom had only sold 22K copies on the GC and only 9K on the PS2. Yet my local EB has no new copies left on either system, nor does my Fry's. It's not the alarm bell that going out of stock at Amazon would cause me, but it's just enough to make me optimistic because this game is flying so far under the radar.

pj

Banned
sonarrat said:
I must be out of my mind, because I've been stocking up on Killer7 stuff. I now have, either in-hand or in the mail, four copies of the game - two sealed, two to play - plus the strategy guide, plus a poster, plus some weird Killer7 multitool. I didn't exactly break my bank to get all that stuff, but I laid out a good $110 total.

I'm just starting to get the feeling that this game is destined for cult status, maybe not a following of the feverish pitch of Rez but something fairly measurable. The print seems to have been quite low: as of August NPD, Capcom had only sold 22K copies on the GC and only 9K on the PS2. Yet my local EB has no new copies left on either system, nor does my Fry's. It's not the alarm bell that going out of stock at Amazon would cause me, but it's just enough to make me optimistic because this game is flying so far under the radar.

I did the same thing, except I'm poor so I didn't buy as much. I bought a couple posters and was going to buy some sealed trading cards but they went for like EIGHT DOLLARS.

Btw, does anyone know where those killer 7 trading cards came from, how rare they are, and what the cards themselves look like?

Tarazet

Prince of Space said:
Weren't there supposed to be action figures as well?

There's a soundtrack, a promo DVD, and apparently an alternate white cover... I'm asking the retailer who's displaying it by email...

KZ26039.jpg

pj

Banned
Prince of Space said:
Weren't there supposed to be action figures as well?

There was a prototype of a dan figure that was translucent red, but I don't think it went into production..

John Harker

Did they ever release the comic book?

I thought they were going to go into series.

Now THAT I'd really like.

Tarazet

John Harker said:

Oh yeah, issues 1 and 2 are floating around Ebay. But they're not an official release yet, only a promotional item...

John Harker

sonarrat said:
Oh yeah, issues 1 and 2 are floating around Ebay. But they're not an official release yet, only a promotional item...

Yet?
Are they going to officially release anything?

Is it in English?

pj

Banned
John Harker said:

I got it free when I bought the game from eb, but according to the site you can't get it that way anymore.

It's not that great, it's just a retelling of the first cutscene in the game. ...Not that I'd sell it, though...

Tarazet

John Harker said:
Yet?
Are they going to officially release anything?

Is it in English?

It is in English. I couldn't tell you if any publishers have picked up on the comic book, though...

John Harker

"Devil’s Due Publishing announced they will produce a 12-issue comic book in February, 2006, based on the hit Capcom video game Killer 7.

“It’s a cool, very stylized looking game,” said DDP President Josh Blaylock in a press release. “The unique story of killer 7 will make the perfect comic book, one we’re excited to publish.”

Full article here!

This is great news! And cheap! 12 issues!

SCORE!

The downside of the Killer 7 comic series is that I doubt many mainstream retailers will be carrying it. Barnes & Noble doesn't care comics at all, Walden Books only seems to stock DC and Marvel, and I think you might even have a heck of a time getting the Killer 7 comics in comic shops as well. Hopefully I'm wrong.

John Harker

Yea, I can totally understand what your saying.

I hope your wrong though, does anyone follow comics enough to know this publishers
distrabution strength?

It's only $2.95 an issue, haha.

But the cover looks awsome, so it seems they've kept the integraty of the art in tact. Lets just hope they can manage Suda's crazy storytelling.

What do you think are the chances of Suda's Rev game being a continuation of this world?

If it is - thats a venerable cornacopia of good killer7 news!

John Harker

ToyMachine228 said:
Believe it or not, most comics are only that price per issue.

Ahh.
It's been ages since I last actually bought a comic book for myself...

Uh, some Xmen 2099 one for like, $7.95 new ages ago...

Not that I don't enjoy them.

I intend to get the Killer7 series though, because if they don't make the sequal...
Well, I wanna know more :)

Murasame

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but a little while ago Capcom released a sort of compilation book to go along with the game. It was called 'Hand in Killer7'. It recently just got finished being translated so if anyone wants to read more about the story then check it out here.

http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/logos_awakening/HAND_IN_KILLER7.txt

Not only does it add to the storyline, it helped clear up some stuff for me. Mind you It's also a bit contradictory of the storyline in the actual game, but i'll put that down to them not having enough time left in production with this game to fully branch everything out. Enjoy.

John Harker

Woa, Murasame!

Thanks!

I can't get enough of this stuff, I didn't even know this book existed.

Man, its a shame this game sold so poorly (Will it reach 100k WW?)

I haven't played a game with such in-debth and involving story in ages.

Man, I'm really looking forward to future Suda projects.

Tarazet

John Harker said:
Woa, Murasame!

Thanks!

I can't get enough of this stuff, I didn't even know this book existed.

Man, its a shame this game sold so poorly (Will it reach 100k WW?)

Unfortunately, it will struggle to reach 50K, and that's on two platforms.

I haven't played a game with such in-debth and involving story in ages.

Man, I'm really looking forward to future Suda projects.

Me too. This is one of my favorite games. I will buy the whole comic series...

Ironclad

Nice one Murasame. Thank you very much. I am definitely going to enjoy reading that.

Killer 7 has become one of my favorites of this generation. It really is a brilliant game. I'm going to pick up the comics as well.

It is a shame about the sales, and I feel even more guilty since I picked it up for $20. I don't really think anybody excpected it to sell in droves anyway. It's a shame nonetheless because the game is definitely something to be experienced.

Thanks Murasame. I'll definitely read that when I have some more time.

Thinking back on the experience of the game, I find that I actually really did like the game and the further removed I am from it, I think I'm appreciating it even more. Sure the gameplay itself was kinda crapola, but the story, style, music, all factored into a game that was really immersive.

I wanna see what Suda does next. If he adds just a dash more time to gameplay, then I'll definitely be first in line.

Tarazet

IAmtheFMan said:
Thanks Murasame. I'll definitely read that when I have some more time.

Thinking back on the experience of the game, I find that I actually really did like the game and the further removed I am from it, I think I'm appreciating it even more. Sure the gameplay itself was kinda crapola, but the story, style, music, all factored into a game that was really immersive.

I wanna see what Suda does next. If he adds just a dash more time to gameplay, then I'll definitely be first in line.

I thought the gameplay was brilliant as well - the controls are so streamlined that you can become very quick. This would be just as good a game to speed-run as Resident Evil.

Victrix

*beard*
Some have suggested that I argue the point, because "Hand in
Killer7" invalidates my own lengthy plot analysis and interpret-
ation. I disagree with these claims. Foremost, I began the Plot
Analysis document with the intention to analyse the Capcom 2005
release "Killer7"--a video game. As I have written above, my
analysis attempts to wrap itself around the facts of the narrative
with as little invention as possible. "Hand in Killer7" invents
freely. Regardless of the source--and regardless of the authority
granted to the source, such as that granted to the originator
of the story--information about the game that does not come from