• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dean Takahashi: Nintendo should've bought Ouya; Wii U Dead in Water

Against the might of Nintendo, Ouya seemed like an ant. Sure, it had raised $8.6 million in crowdfunding on Kickstarter, but to put out a real game console in lots of retail stores takes a huge investment. It had no credibility even with all of the support from indie game developers who didn’t have the cash to make big-budget console games.

Now the scales may be tipping.
We’re not sure what the valuation was, but Ouya just got a lot more expensive as a potential acquisition. Nintendo should have grabbed it while it had the chance. Nintendo, meanwhile, had its window to sell Wii U game consoles during the last six months. It had a shortage of hits, and the big games from top publishers either didn’t materialize or didn’t sell well. Nintendo generated some good digital revenue through the app store on the Wii U platform, but it hasn’t had a huge breakout hit on that front.
Now the Wii U is dead in the water.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/10/t...-have-bought-ouya-and-other-might-have-beens/

Ouya needs Oculus Rift support then we can have two massively over-hyped products colliding to finally save us from our console shackles!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
One of the best gamepads on the market vs. one of the shittiest.

Ouya also has Canabalt HD on lockdown. That is probably the missing killer-app that would catapult WiiU to Wii heights.

We’re not sure what the valuation was, but Ouya just got a lot more expensive as a potential acquisition. Nintendo should have grabbed it while it had the chance. Nintendo, meanwhile, had its window to sell Wii U game consoles during the last six months. It had a shortage of hits, and the big games from top publishers either didn’t materialize or didn’t sell well. Nintendo generated some good digital revenue through the app store on the Wii U platform, but it hasn’t had a huge breakout hit on that front.
Now the Wii U is dead in the water.

Come on, son.

TUSR

Banned
So they could team up to release another lack luster console that the general consumer market has no idea what it is?

Into

Now the Wii U is dead in the water. Nintendo sold 3.45 million Wii U consoles as of March 31, and since December, Nintendo sold just 390,000 Wii Us. That’s a horrible start for a new game console, and it must be viewed in this context: Apple sold 56 million iPhones and iPads in one quarter.

He is right that Wii U is doing badly, beneath GC etc. But i do not understand why he is comparing a home console to phones and tablets. Ive seen quite a few people do that, Nintendo is not Apple, i do not think anyone expects them to do as well as Apple, very few companies can.

He should have compared it to the original Wii, and its competitors out now 360 and PS3

Meier

For a period of time, I think Dean Takahashi was probably the top games journalist -- certainly as far as newspapers go at least. It seems to me from many recent stories of his that he is far off base these days.

dmr87

Can't wait for Nintendo's first party games to come out so we can stop with the 'Nintendo is doomed' threads.

I'm failing to summon any ideas about why Nintendo would possibly want to own an Ouya.

Also finding it interesting people keep talking about if after how terribly reviewed the first Ouya consoles were

Why would they buy Ouya when they could have made their own really low end console?

Is he suggesting that they should have gone even lower tech then the Wii U? If so I think I may agree.

Fowler

One of these things does not logically follow on from the other. The Wii U being dead doesn't mean Nintendo should buy Ouya.

Dantis

Can't wait for Nintendo's first party games to come out we can stop with the 'Nintendo is doomed' threads.

Might be waiting a while for that one, haha. ;)

I think he's overestimating the Ouya. I can't imagine it doing any better than the Wii U, and I'd be very surprised if it even did as well.

Top Bottom