• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dean Takahashi: Nintendo should've bought Ouya; Wii U Dead in Water

rjc571

Banned
While the notion of Nintendo buying Ouya is of course idiotic, I do think that Nintendo needed to go the lower-end route with hardware (or maybe just scrapped the whole gamepad idea) and positioned themselves as a much cheaper alternative to MS and Sony, rather than releasing a $500 high-end box and trying to compete with them directly like so many people here seem to think.

What really killed Nintendo is their lack of foresight in keeping the Wii brand relevant. Even though many people scoffed at the idea at the time, they really should have released a "Wii HD" console back when the Wii was at the zenith of its popularity (maybe in 2009 to coincide with NSMB Wii and Wii Motion Plus) to prevent it from being left behind as HDTV market penetration increased. They didn't even need to design a new system, just a Game Boy -> Game Boy Color type of update that kept the same hardware almost entirely intact but with more video memory to allow for a 720p frame buffer.

Gestault

What is a single, quantifiable element of Ouya that Nintendo isn't currently capable of executing? By this I mean, what does Nintendo gain from the purchase that it doesn't already have in a superior capacity?

Nintendo should've bought Ouya so that instead of one dead console Nintendo could have 2 dead consoles.

While the notion of Nintendo buying Ouya is of course idiotic, I do think that Nintendo needed to go the lower-end route with hardware (or maybe just scrapped the whole gamepad idea) and positioned themselves as a much cheaper alternative to MS and Sony, rather than releasing a $500 high-end box and trying to compete with them directly like so many people here seem to think.
Nintendo spent most of their R&D budget on miniturization and lowering power consumption. that was their big fail in designing the hardware.

wsippel

Banned
Aren't they technically building the same thing in house already? I mean, isn't that the point of the Nintendo web framework? An easy way for developers to get games built using html/css/js and out on the eshop?
It's the eShop overall, not so much Web Framework in particular. And if you're a developer, targeting Wii U or targeting Ouya is a roughly comparable investment (if you plan to use Unity Pro), so there's that as well. In fact, Wii U development might even be cheaper.

Somnid

Aren't they technically building the same thing in house already? I mean, isn't that the point of the Nintendo web framework? An easy way for developers to get games built using html/css/js and out on the eshop?

That's not the point of Ouya though. Ouya is Android-centric trying to create essentially an open-sourced Android box with a controller. It's not a software experiment as much as a hardware one, and it's reliant on native code rather than sandboxed web code.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I mean yes the WiiU is dead in the water, but people saying Nintendo should have "bought Ouya" are grade A morons.

Because you really need to buy up a smalltime outfit to plop a Tegra in a box, create a sub-standard controller and port over some smartphone shit. I mean christ. I give Nintendo's engineers a lot of shit but I think they might have been able to do that without the INCREDIBLE Ouya teams guidance.

I kinda think all this terrible advice and jabs at Nintendo will only stop when they make the perfect console.

So keep doing it, I guess.

How does one actually pronounce Ouya? Oi-yuh? Oh-ya? Wee-a?

I'm going with Oi-yuh personally.

This picture from Something Awful shows what is wrong with Ouya.

RWE0PxA.jpg

The amount of bad press Nintendo let's fly is astounding. No other company in the world would put up with it.

I don't know what's worse, Nintendo not realizing there is so much bad press or nintendo unable to do anything about it. Either way, Nintendo is incompetent.

I don't understand the point of this kind of acquisition. If they were to buy ouya, what would they do with it? Keep it in limbo?

I believe honestly that may has been a short month in gaming news that this kind of thing has just caught the bloggers and our attention.

v1oz

But the Ouya got even worse hardware reviews than the Wii U. Everything from the UI to the O/S to the build quality to the Game selection was badly criticised. It's a genuinely shitter product.

Jhriad

Nintendo, meanwhile, had its window to sell Wii U game consoles during the last six months.

Alright folks, Nintendo had it's window to sell consoles. It's over. Everyone knows a console only has that six month window and then it's on to the next thing.

DigitalOp

Banned
Dear Dean Takahashi,

I will buy all your weed from you for $350

Thanks,
DigitalOp

Alright folks, Nintendo had it's window to sell consoles. It's over. Everyone knows a console only has that six month window and then it's on to the next thing.

Hey! Nintendo had SIX full months of little to no competition for a BRAND NEW console and they did nothing but shit the bed. I, on the otherhand, would have made sure my console would have been nothing but a buy for the red blood gamer and take every opportunity I can to make it so.

It reality, we got nothing.

Ouya's going to be big in markets underserved by Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. Sony has the most to lose because the PS2 made big steps in those regions. Who knows about Nintendo but it would have given them some forward momentum and that forgotten phrase "third pillar" that they so desperately need.

Joni

I see his point. Nintendo could claim there was an actual console doing worse than the Wii U if they also brought out the Ouya.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
This isn't new is it? We already discussed this back in the Bing Gordon thread last week, I thought? At any rate, Dean Takahashi is all over the newest investments. That's his role at VentureBeat, so it makes sens that he would be thinking this way. In the investment scene, Ouya has to be a hot property right now. That said, the investment community is so far removed from the gaming community that what he ways just sounds like gibberish to us. Nintendo invest in the Ouya? Why would they do that? What would they get out of it. From a gamer's perspective this makes little sense, but I am sure from Venture Beat's perspective, this was a severe missed opportunity for Nintendo.

Personally, I still don't see the benefit in snatching up Ouya. Is it just to shut down competition? The Ouya technology is certainly not something Nintendo needs right now, and the Wii U has already been opened up to support mobile application developers, so what else is there?

pants

Ouya is just going to become a PC/Android app/storefront in the future anyway, at least that's the way I see this playing out.

CengizMan

I don't understand why people are so confident in Ouya. I absolutely do not expect the Ouya to get any mass market anytime soon, but everyone is treating it as if it has already sold millions of units at Best Buy.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That said, the investment community is so far removed from the gaming community that what he ways just sounds like gibberish to us.

The gaming community isn't buying Wii U's either though.

I'm not sure why Nintendo would touch the Ouya. It seems like a dumb thing to say. But with every passing day it becomes more obvious that the Wii U is a massive misfire.

I don't know about buying Ouya, but Nintendo should have definitely looked into releasing a "Ouya-like" box with access to a revamped and actually viable Virtual Console at like $129.

seady

You know what's consider cool nowadays? Bitching on Nintendo and Wii U.

Everyone is pulling shit out of their ass and come up with their own version of bitching.

Top Bottom