• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dean Takahashi: Nintendo should've bought Ouya; Wii U Dead in Water

Yeah an underpowered android console is Nintendo salvation this gen.

Any decent Smartphone/Tablet released the last year is a better "console" than Ouya.

Darryl

Banned
Take the talent, kill the product.

the talent who thought that bringing the Ouya to market right now was a smart idea? i doubt they even know anything about the hardware they're putting in the Ouya. they seen that mobile chips were getting lots of good flops and cores and thought it was time to pull the trigger.

Alrus

Wait isn't that exactly what that guy who invested 15 mil in the Ouya recently said?

And I don't see the appeal in an Android console, what's the point?

Can't wait for Nintendo's first party games to come out we can stop with the 'Nintendo is doomed' threads.

I second this notion.

Oddly enough, I play a lot of old games on my Wii U. To be honest, I'm okay with the wait on some high quality Wii U games because of my backlog (right now Xenoblade Chronicles and The Metroid Prime Trilogy). Hopefully, we should hear about some great ones very, very soon.

Risette

A Good Citizen
whats the talent though? It's an outdated cellphone in a box.
Ouya at least had people smart enough to create a product concept strong enough to get the internet to fund it. Far stronger than the schizophrenic disaster that is the Wii U, which nobody can figure out what exactly it is.

1-D_FTW

Nothing says smart business like buying up a company that uses an open source OS for their console. Think of the patent trove you're getting.

semiconscious

Gold Member
4869c34dce444c8aec85429171927244

'i just spent some time talking with a venture capitalist who has an investment in ouya. & this's what reality looks like to him...'

Zia

the talent who thought that bringing the Ouya to market right now was a smart idea? i doubt they even know anything about the hardware they're putting in the Ouya. they seen that mobile chips were getting lots of good flops and cores and thought it was time to pull the trigger.

You should probably do some research. I actually pulled my Kickstarter pledge and think the thing will flop at launch, but there are a lot of smart people working on the project.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Nothing says smart business like buying up a company that uses an open source OS for their console. Think of the patent trove you're getting.
yeah who the fuck would use an open source operating system on a con- oh

You should probably do some research. I actually pulled my Kickstarter pledge and think the thing will flop at launch, but there are a lot of smart people working on the project.
Yep. I think the Ouya is going to be a disaster, but they could probably work wonders with an established brand and a good amount of resources.

gngf123

Maybe Nintendo could get rid of hardware and make its software available on all platforms, as EA and Activision are doing.

The concept of the article was already ridiculous. Nice to see some "Nintendo could go third party" to round it off.

Darryl

Banned

i did do research, i got a nexus 7 to play around with that level of hardware. the power is not there yet for anything significant and it shows with how little games there are on the platform. indie developers need more headroom then they're giving with that device right now.

Ouya at least had people smart enough to create a product concept strong enough to get the internet to fund it. Far stronger than the schizophrenic disaster that is the Wii U, which nobody can figure out what exactly it is.

Yes, I'm sure nintendo would be awed by 63k backers for an emulation box.

Somnid

Nintendo has a world-class hardware team and Android is a free OS. Is there any reason why Ouya is worth anything when they could easily create the same thing in house that was not only designed better but had better software? In fact, what on Earth makes Ouya any better than Wii other than the openess? I guess in the end it doesn't matter because all those gaming kickstarters have a Wii U version, Nintendo already has support from that garage developer community.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
I agree with Dean. Nintendo should have bought the system people were going to buy to primarily play NES and SNES games on.

wrowa

And the Wii U probably already has sold more units than Ouya ever will. I'm not sure how that's a good comparison.

There's nothing special about Ouya per se. The concept is interesting and it might be an interesting endeavour for Nintendo in the future, but there's no need for Nintendo to buy Ouya. The hardware apparently is crap and the software side of things not ideal either. If Nintendo would decide to try the low-budget Android-device route, I'm sure they would be able to make better hardware in-house.

A Nintendo box would have certain disadvantages, as a software company Nintendo would never be able to allow the box to be completely open to emulators and such, but on the other hand Nintendo would have the compellig game software Ouya most likely will never get.

Mindwipe

Buy Ouya. Lol.

Even if Nintendo took leave of their senses and decided they wanted Ouya's model, why wouldn't they replicate it with the benefit of their existing patents and manufacturer relationships which would take them... ooh, I dunno, maybe a week? Rather than spend any money buying another brand.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Nintendo has a world-class hardware team and Android is a free OS. Is there any reason why Ouya is worth anything when they could easily create the same thing in house that was not only designed better but had better software? In fact, what on Earth makes Ouya any better than Wii other than the openess? I guess in the end it doesn't matter because all those gaming kickstarters have a Wii U version, Nintendo already has support from that garage developer community.
A world-class hardware team that couldn't even come up with a coherent product concept. Good one.

Basil

Banned
I agree with Dean. Nintendo should have bought the system people were going to buy to primarily play NES and SNES games on.

Well then Nintendo would have had at least one new console out there with the back catalgue games people actually want to play available on it.

Effect

Can't wait for Nintendo's first party games to come out we can stop with the 'Nintendo is doomed' threads.

They'll never stop. Nintendo was doomed when the Wii was kicking the PS3 and 360's butt month after month. It was still doomed when Mario Kart Wii went past 20 million. This will never stop. The parade of stupid will just continue.

Mael

I'm pretty sure that if Nintendo kickstarted that it would have gotten funded even more quickly I mean you have no idea what you're talking about.

dmr87

Might be waiting a while for that one, haha. ;)

Yea, I agree that Nintendo should have had more of their signatures games ready or close to ready when they released the Wii U, they launched too early. But with the PS4 and 'Durango' coming out they had to do something.

But in my opinion they should have delayed the launch, yes their hardware is ass compared to Sony and Microsoft but good hardware doesn't make your games good.

wrowa

Why are people saying Nintendo should have bought the Ouya?
What about Microsoft and Sony? Shouldn't they have bought it, too?

Microsoft and Sony are going the high-end route (at least that's the perception people have; I don't know what the current rumors say about the Xbox 3), while Nintendo already is taking the low-end route in terms of hardware power. As such, it's easy to try the comparison with Ouya, which is also a low-end product (well, low-low end in this case).

kpjolee

I know Nintendo deserves all the criticism for Wii U market performance, but Ouya? It has done absolutely nothing beside showing ability to get money from investors and kickstarter.

Zia

I'm pretty sure that if Nintendo kickstarted that it would have gotten funded even more quickly I mean you have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes, but not because they have an interesting product, but because they are Nintendo.

The article is basically saying "Nintendo should dump consoles and go mobile." The same thing every Apple-worshipping analyst has been saying since 2007.

Fuckin' lol'd. Well, at least that would give Nintendo at least one exclusive. And by exclusive I mean to be only person in the world that would be a Ouya after the Kickstarter thing ended.

8bits

Banned

Aren't they technically building the same thing in house already? I mean, isn't that the point of the Nintendo web framework? An easy way for developers to get games built using html/css/js and out on the eshop?

Mael

Yes, but not because they have an interesting product, but because they are Nintendo.

No really, they have a more interesting product.
I mean really let's look at both for a second, an Android console was never that much of cool thing to do anyway.

Top Bottom