• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dean Takahashi: Nintendo should've bought Ouya; Wii U Dead in Water

This isn't new is it? We already discussed this back in the Bing Gordon thread last week, I thought? At any rate, Dean Takahashi is all over the newest investments. That's his role at VentureBeat, so it makes sens that he would be thinking this way. In the investment scene, Ouya has to be a hot property right now. That said, the investment community is so far removed from the gaming community that what he ways just sounds like gibberish to us. Nintendo invest in the Ouya? Why would they do that? What would they get out of it. From a gamer's perspective this makes little sense, but I am sure from Venture Beat's perspective, this was a severe missed opportunity for Nintendo.

Personally, I still don't see the benefit in snatching up Ouya. Is it just to shut down competition? The Ouya technology is certainly not something Nintendo needs right now, and the Wii U has already been opened up to support mobile application developers, so what else is there?
It's not so much about the hardware but tapping into the potential. Ouya is limited by their small size, Nintendo can bring a lot to them and increase their reach without damaging the WiiU at all. That's profit to be made. It's predicted to be a growing market for cash strapped entertainment seekers in foreign markets. It would help Nintendo establish their brand in new regions and they can also offer legacy titles which have no benefit to being "Nintendo experiences".

People are going to play SNES games on this with or without Nintendo's permission. Might as well take $5 off them a time for the convenience factor of not having to go to Rom Hustler or whoever. But that's even more played out than this argument... some Nintendo fans will never see eye to eye with selling legacy titles on systems that weren't designed by Nintendo.

dacuk

They'll never stop. Nintendo was doomed when the Wii was kicking the PS3 and 360's butt month after month. It was still doomed when Mario Kart Wii went past 20 million. This will never stop. The parade of stupid will just continue.

This is what makes NeoGaf magical.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I say this every time Dean writes an article.

One time in a Sony Pre-E3 conference, I watched Dean play Farmville through the entire thing. The first Vita hands-on couldn't hold his attention, but his damn crops sure did.

I will never listen to this guy.

It's unbelievable how a company that released the Wii to such masterful timing and success did not understand that success or understand the device / software landscape for the Wii U.

It is very very clear they did not though. I'm only keeping mine for Smash Bros. at this point, and even that may not be enough given their horrifically imprecise online gaming system.

I say this every time Dean writes an article.

One time in a Sony Pre-E3 conference, I watched Dean play Farmville through the entire thing. The first Vita hands-on couldn't hold his attention, but his damn crops sure did.

I will never listen to this guy.

On the contrary, shouldn't you listen to him given the success of the Vita? :p

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Buying Ouya makes no sense. I'm sure it would be much smarter for Nintendo to release their own Android based console based on a widely available Mobile SoC if they want to go that route... or buy GameStick.

King_Moc

Banned
People play android games on their phones because it's convenient. They already have the phone and the games are mostly free, or a few cents. No one is going to pay for a dedicated console to play (mostly) terrible, shallow games. You'd just buy a console.

And why the hell would Nintendo buy Ouya? It makes no business sense at all. The only way people have made money on android is by bleeding people dry with ridiculous microtransactions. Thankfully Nintendo have yet to do this, so stop encouraging them.

kpjolee

It's unbelievable how a company that released the Wii to such masterful timing and success did not understand that success or understand the device / software landscape for the Wii U.

It is very very clear they did not though. I'm only keeping mine for Smash Bros. at this point, and even that may not be enough given their horrifically imprecise online gaming system.

Lightling usually doesnt strike twice in tech industry. Wii happened. Wii U did not. I dont think even Nintendo expected Wii would be something of a cultural phenomenon.

Tobor

I don't know about buying Ouya, but Nintendo should have definitely looked into releasing a "Ouya-like" box with access to a revamped and actually viable Virtual Console at like $129.

Sell it for $99, include a handful of classic Nintendo titles, and offer access to the Virtual console, new Nintendo games, Netflix, Hulu +, Amazon, etc. Call it the NES 2.

Nintendo would sell every one they could make as fast as they could make them.

Kunan

I don't know this person well, but this is the way I see it in general with these articles: People who don't normally play games buy or get interested in a product that has games. It must be the future because it actually interests them. Being won over by a product doesn't automatically make that product the future of products. It means that the product's attempts to expand the market, and capitalize on untapped potential, worked.

We've seen this with Apple and now we see this with Ouya. Apple managed to create an absolutely dominating market, but the home consoles and even portables like the 3DS continue to sell. They don't have explosive growth like Apple, but they also never really did in the first place. It's almost like these markets don't 100% overlap and are not 100% replaceable and interchangeable, which these articles always seem to imply.

Nintendo has really blown their launch. Buying another console's launch isn't going to fix things. They can't just buy another product and then can their own. Even less people would trust them enough to purchase early next time.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member

Knew that was going to be the response when I wrote that... At least then it was a fairly unknown thing. :) There was still some excitement in 2011.

Jburton

Banned
Nintendo has a world-class hardware team and Android is a free OS. Is there any reason why Ouya is worth anything when they could easily create the same thing in house that was not only designed better but had better software? In fact, what on Earth makes Ouya any better than Wii other than the openess? I guess in the end it doesn't matter because all those gaming kickstarters have a Wii U version, Nintendo already has support from that garage developer community.

World class hardware team? ........ really?

Their hardware is cheap and nasty with questionable workmanship, cheap materials and low end silicon.

They really do not have world class anything except for game development ......their OS, network software and infrastrucutre and hardware departments are second rate.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Their hardware is cheap and nasty with questionable workmanship, cheap materials and low end silicon.

They really do not have world class anything except for game development ......their OS, network software and infrastrucutre and hardware departments are second rate.

They (OUYA Inc) have word class game development?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
No, never claimed they did ...... just responding to the claim that Nintendo have a "world class hardware team" ....... which was obviously nonsense.
Digital Foundry posted this yesterday:
There are three things we really like about the Wii U hardware here at Digital Foundry - its diminutive dimensions, the GamePad controller and its extremely low power draw. Nintendo's new console is the paragon of efficiency, producing current-gen visuals using less than half the power of the Xbox 360 or PS3 running the same games
These 3 things are an achievement, whatever you think of it.

gngf123

No, never claimed they did ...... just responding to the claim that Nintendo have a "world class hardware team" ....... which was obviously nonsense.

I'd like some sources for this " questionable workmanship, cheap materials and low end silicon". Nintendo have a bit of a reputation for putting together extremely well made products, even if recently they haven't been the most powerful ones (although the Wii U is at least an efficient one). The 3DS in particular seems very, very well made.

ferr

Nintendo should have invested Facebook credits into Farmville; Wii U dead in water

Just think about how awesome a farm Nintendo would have if they didn't make Wii U.

evangd007

First Bing now Dean. What's with these morons and their hard-on for Ouya? It's a bigger joke in the industry than the Steambox. All the hardware makers were smart for avoiding it.

Nintendo has a world-class hardware team and Android is a free OS. Is there any reason why Ouya is worth anything when they could easily create the same thing in house that was not only designed better but had better software? In fact, what on Earth makes Ouya any better than Wii other than the openess? I guess in the end it doesn't matter because all those gaming kickstarters have a Wii U version, Nintendo already has support from that garage developer community.

Pretty much. The difference between the Ouya and the Wii U is that you will get actual platform holder support on the Wii U. Hell, you also get tons of free SDKs including Unity. Nintendo already out-Ouya'd the Ouya among everyone but those freaky open-source Linux zealots.

Jburton

Banned
I'd like some sources for this " questionable workmanship, cheap materials and low end silicon". Nintendo have a bit of a reputation for putting together extremely well made products, even if recently they haven't been the most powerful ones (although the Wii U is at least an efficient one). The 3DS in particular seems very, very well made.

The silicon is weak, the materials are low quality (especially the 3DS) and the workmanship, well many a scratched screen and a broken hinge speaks none to well of the workmanship.

Comparing the Wii U to the 360 slim and the differences in build quality and materials is night and day, as an example.

Nintendo's hardware looks like fisher price.

I wish Nintendo would go back to its former Gamecube/Nintendo 64 glory.

The Wii U is well on the way to doing that, haven't you seen the sales figures?

Every piece of Nintendo Hardware I own still works, if only I could say the same for my Sony/MS hardware.

flippedb

Banned
The silicon is weak, the materials are low quality (especially the 3DS) and the workmanship, well many a scratched screen and a broken hinge speaks none to well of the workmanship.

Comparing the Wii U to the 360 slim and the differences in build quality and materials is night and day, as an example.

Nintendo's hardware looks like fisher price.

How's the silicon weak? You should go inside the CPU/GPU analysis threads here on GAF. The silicon is pretty well designed. And yeah, I get that Wii U to 360 slim comparison, the good console doesn't scratch disks. Night and day, indeed.

Teknoman

The Wii U is well on the way to doing that, haven't you seen the sales figures?

Every piece of Nintendo Hardware I own still works, if only I could say the same for my Sony/MS hardware.

Yeah the only Nintendo system i've ever had malfunction was my launch cube, via disc read error. Accidentally dropped my 3DS, and all I had was a slight chip off the plastic. My PSP barely hit the floor on the carpet, and the screen cracked.

If its one thing Nintendo always does right, its make a sturdy system. Now small manufacturing errors here and there? Thats different.

Please, go ahead and explain how buying Ouya and going third party/mobile would be the obvious thing to do.

Wait let me clarify...im referring to the Wii U being dead in the water...Obviously buying Ouya is about as smart as launching the Wii U in the first place. I knew I shoulda edited that post.

Third party? Who knows most people only buy Nintendo for Nintendo games so...I don't see what they would lose from doing that eventually.

Mobile? No idea and no opinion on it since I don't play any mobile games.

Sheroking

Dude... the silicon argument is at best unsupported on your part, the build quality argument is absurd. Nintendo has always had a much lower fail rate than their competitors.

Even the 360 slim, a system designed almost unilaterally to address the extremely high 360 fail-rate, has a higher fail rate than any known fail-rate of a Nintendo platform.

From actual technical breakdowns, the least we can say about the Wii U is that the latency on the pad is state of the art and it's power draw is ridiculously efficient.

Proven

I don't know this person well, but this is the way I see it in general with these articles: People who don't normally play games buy or get interested in a product that has games. It must be the future because it actually interests them. Being won over by a product doesn't automatically make that product the future of products. It means that the product's attempts to expand the market, and capitalize on untapped potential, worked.

We've seen this with Apple and now we see this with Ouya. Apple managed to create an absolutely dominating market, but the home consoles and even portables like the 3DS continue to sell. They don't have explosive growth like Apple, but they also never really did in the first place. It's almost like these markets don't 100% overlap and are not 100% replaceable and interchangeable, which these articles always seem to imply.

Nintendo has really blown their launch. Buying another console's launch isn't going to fix things. They can't just buy another product and then can their own. Even less people would trust them enough to purchase early next time.

Thank you.

terrible article mired in silicon valley groupthink...

1. title is misnomer - dean never actually explains why nintendo should strategically acquire ouya - why that would make sense

2. he doesn't do good fact-checking - cod:ghosts is most likely headed to wii u - activision nearly confirmed as much

3. getting vc money != validation... VC's are right about 10% of the time... the particularly sleazy varieties of them at kleiner perkins and sequoia will sell their souls and lie through their teeth and say anything to make a few bucks...

4. bing gordon is an investor in ouya, and supposedly, he got an amazing deal that meant personal participation for him being a member of the board - so he personally profits a great deal if he suggests that tradtional consoles are dying

massoluk

Banned
Even if Nintendo should follow Ouya footstep, why would they even need to buy Ouya? Surely it can be done laughably easy in house.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Even if Nintendo should follow Ouya footstep, why would they even need to buy Ouya? Surely it can be done laughably easy in house.

Because Outa is a bigger (better) brand than Nintendo... (The only plausible explanation for such argument).

orioto

Good Art™
Nintendo would be afraid to do anything that resembles Virtual Boy.

That's why they constantly retry past failures, like 3D for NES, or complex local multi and asymmetric gameplay.

You can see that an other way. They actually managed to believe in, create, and release something that was to the rift what would be a wood trunk with spikes to a bed.

If they thought a limited angle viewing 3d screen that not even everyone could enjoy was a good thing for their new portable.. Explain me how the rift would be a nonono for them.. That was maybe their only and last chance at having something unique and revolutionary that people would pay to try.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I fail to see how Ouya would help Nintendo at all, if he suggested they bought OnLive or some other streaming company I could at least see the rationale, but Ouya?

Patryn

I will always remember Dean Takahashi as the guy who reviewed (and trashed) Mass Effect without realizing that you had to assign skill points.

Don't worry guys, it's just Dean, the guy who said Warhammer ripped off Gears of War's designs and even made light of the term "Space Marine".

37789636.jpg

Polari

This guy must be dumb as all hell if he thinks Ouya would make sense as an acquisition. Their games are just Android games anyway. If Nintendo wanted to launch a $99 console based on Android Ouya would be crushed within minutes. They don't own any IP and their fanbase and brand recognition is about a million times less than Nintendo's.

Embarrassing.

Top Bottom