• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Xbone Specs/Tech Analysis: GPU 33% less powerful than PS4

There's really no doubt that the PS4 is significantly more powerful - a larger gap than we all thought a year or two ago.

The question is, will developers take advantage of it? Sony's studios will. What about everybody else?
Since the architecture both systems use are similar, I imagine most games will be Xbox lead, and it should be easy to slap a higher resolution, AA, etc. onto the PS4 version.

Or, since both are similar to PC hardware, it could be that Xbox games run at the equivalent of medium/ high graphics settings while PS4 is high/ ultra.

Sirolf

has this been linked or what.

6Xi0c69l.png

Ouch..What a trainwreck..

Durante

Read the article. This has nothing to do with Kinect. It's because they were creating a multi-media box and targetted 8GB RAM. They didn't think there was anyway that would be possible with DDR5. So they had to go with slower RAM and that meant they allocated a bunch of the die to ESRAM and data move engines instead. Since Sony and MS are both targetting around 100 watts for their budget (and smartly so), this is where the discrepancy came from. MS bet they'd be quite a bit slower, but would have a 8GB vs 2GB RAM edge. This gamble failed when larger DDR5 modules became available to Sony.
I still don't buy that story. I cannot believe that MS engineers somehow expected it to be impossible to get at least 4 GB GDDR5 into a console in 2013 -- they aren't GAF posters.

8 GB was more uncertain, but I'm sure they didn't expect to be restricted to 2 GB because of GDDR5 densities.

DBT85

It sucks that the PS4 is going to be weighed down by the X1 all this gen.

Why do you say this? Plenty of multiplats looked better on xbox than PS2 and those had different tech inside.

This time out the basic CPU and GPU are using the same design with some tweaks, it should be (relatively) easy for a developer to make a game to 100% for the PS4 and then turn shit down for the XBONE.

Man, the 26 people who will be able to afford a ps4 at launch will sure be lording it over the XBox fans ;)

Jokes aside, what do we reckon the price difference will be, if any, between the two?

Would you rather have:

- Excessive powah for more £/$
- Less powah for less £/$?

Bearing in mind the actual practical difference between the the projected TFLOPpage?
Silicon budget is supposedly similar. Better RAM vs Kinect in every box. I imagine they'll be similar.
has this been linked or what.

6Xi0c69l.png
Sounds promising...

KKRT00

If the real-world difference is actually this big: 720p to 1080p is a massive difference, and should be pretty equal to 30 vs. 60 FPS in terms of processing requirements.

No, its not equal to 60fps. 60fps does require more than double performance in some cases..

Vesper73

So all things being equal, (almost never the case), if a game runs at 40fps on Xbox One, it will run at 60fps on PS4. That is huge...

coldfoot

Banned
No, its not equal to 60fps. 60fps does require more than double the performance in some cases..
True, but a 30fps game could be nominally capable of running at 40fps on the Xbone and capped at 30fps. Such a game could be made to run 60fps on the PS4.
Actually this raises an interesting question. Would you prefer a rock solid 30 or variable 45-60?

Man, the 26 people who will be able to afford a ps4 at launch will sure be lording it over the XBox fans ;)

Jokes aside, what do we reckon the price difference will be, if any, between the two?

Would you rather have:

Bearing in mind the actual practical difference between the the projected TFLOPpage?
With stupid kinect in it and the mandatory fee if you want online I don't see it being much cheaper than the ps4.

True, but a 30fps game could be nominally capable of running at 40fps on the Xbone and capped at 30fps. Such a game could be made to run 60fps on the PS4.
Actually this raises an interesting question. Would you prefer a rock solid 30 or variable 45-60?
Variable but as long as it doesn't drop to below 45.

BigDug13

Current gen games on PC look far superior to their console counterparts. PS4 is very similar to PC architecture now, and next gen games will still be ported to PC with more graphics bells and whistles so it stands to reason that a more powerful PS4 will still look superior on multiplatform games when compared to inferior spec'd consoles.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Gemüsepizza;58590601 said:
1440x900 would be 2/3 of 1920x1080, maybe some games will use those resolutions.

This is what I expect as well, especially with the supposed scaler chips in the XBO.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Double the framerate? There's no way the fillrate advantage is that high, is there?

There's twice the ROPs in PS4 i.e. twice the theoretical fillrate, if they're both clocked the same.

In terms of bandwidth, Durango's GPU is capped at 102GB/s write bandwidth according to VGLeaks.

But framerate doesn't necessarily depend solely on fillrate.

1-D_FTW

I still don't buy that story. I cannot believe that MS engineers somehow expected it to be impossible to get at least 4 GB GDDR5 into a console in 2013 -- they aren't GAF posters.

8 GB was more uncertain, but I'm sure they didn't expect to be restricted to 2 GB because of GDDR5 densities.

Fair enough. But even if 4GB just seemed expensive, that wouldn't have been nearly acceptable if they wanted to reserve 3GB for the OS (WTF. I guess it really does run Windows). Maybe I'm just too cynical of MS' thought process, but that seems like a valid concern that would drive them the way they did.

Elios83

60 vs 30..wow!!
how did microsoft allow this to pass during the development?

Effectively the PS4 GPU has not just 50% more compute units but also twice the ROPs, so twice the fill rate.
So maybe 60fps vs 30fps by default is more a theoretical thing but there's not doubt that PS4 games will have better frame rates by default.
Developers can use that margin in different ways.
Yoshida although clearly biased said recently that they deisgned PS4 so that they would get the edge in multiplatform games.

I fully expect multiplatform titles to take advantage of the extra power: We've had plenty of superior Xbox ports during the Playstation 2s reign, and that was with a much smaller power differential and for a console with a comparatively miniscule market share. They may not use the 50% increase to its fullest extent, but it will allow for some breathing room in terms of image quality or resolution.

360 and PS3 are very similar, but even that tiny edge the 360 often has (less so in recent times) still leads to situation where the perceived performance difference is massive (think of the difference with Black Ops 2 PS3 vs. Xbox 360 alone, for example - or even Far Cry 3)

If next generation lasts as long as this one did then the extra horses will definitely start to become more prevalent. Haven't heard any 10 year life cycle promises out of either camp this go round so who knows. I think it will be a while before we get to that point especially with the start of next gen being so cross gen heavy. Depending on sales we might not see devs fully cross over into next gen until well after that same time came in this current gen.

Jac_Solar

I am interested if this cloud stuff is just rhetoric or if their might be something to this in the long run. I am curious if the system can truly evolve over time in substantial ways towards gaming experiences.

The cloud will most certainly evolve over time -- the streaming will work more efficiently, so the games you stream will look better, feel more responsive, etc. The gaming system/console itself won't improve, but the software for the streaming will. But isn't cloud gaming on PS4 as well?

StuBurns

Banned
There's twice the ROPs in PS4 i.e. twice the theoretical fillrate, if they're both clocked the same.

In terms of bandwidth, Durango's GPU is capped at 102GB/s write bandwidth according to VGLeaks.

But framerate doesn't necessarily depend solely on fillrate.
Very impressive. Maybe it's true.

As an aside, I really hope The Witness is 60fps. Those puzzles will be much nicer if they're very smooth.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think double the framerate is unrealistic in most cases, simply because of the more or less equivalent CPU.

Yeah, regarding framerate, it doesn't matter what your GPU is doing if your CPU needs 30ms per frame, and I think a lot of games will.

However you could invest the excess on the GPU side into other things in that case...resolution bumps might be easier, be they to the main framebuffer or other render targets, for example. Stuff that could turn a 60fps game on one platform into a 30fps game on another, even if the CPU is at 16ms...

coldfoot

Banned
I think the most common difference between the two will be resolution instead of framerate, since it's a big jump from 30->60 compared to a jump from 1600x900 to 1920x1080. Also having 2x the ROPS and more bandwidth will also help resolution.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

Would you rather have:

Nice choice of wording with excessive. My personal preference would be for the ps4 to have even a little more power and sell at 500 but for a mass market perspective, I think they're hitting the right note.

The cloud will most certainly evolve over time -- the streaming will work more efficiently, so the games you stream will look better, feel more responsive, etc. The gaming system/console itself won't improve, but the software for the streaming will. But isn't cloud gaming on PS4 as well?

That is the reason they bought gaikai for cloud gaming.

Vesper73

Yeah, as I said earlier I'd expect something like 1440x1080 vs. 1920x1080 or IQ differences in AA/AF to be common.

I think this is about right. Multiplats will be created at 1080p, (with the same amount of geometry and effects), but the Xbox One version will have a lower res frame buffer.

HokieJoe

Yep. This go round is a different ball of wax. Sony trumped MS's easier development path when they booted the Cell in favor of a more traditional PC architecture. There is nothing magical here. PC architecture and the accompanying developer tools won't be 'scratch-built' like they were with the PS3.

Advantage PS4...Better hardware + commensurate development environment.

50% more powerful GPU coupled with a better and faster memory system is not something that won't have an impact especially considering that both consoles are based on the same architecture. This is not something theoretical that is up to developers to use if they're able to harness it, it's concrete as when you have a PC and you decide to upgrade your card and memory bandwidth. You'll immediatly get better performance.
On PS4 you'll get higher frame rates by default, which can be used by developers to increase resolution, improve IQ or simply add more effects.
Of course it won't change the game night and day, but it's enough to ensure that most multiplatform games will run better on PS4.
Then it's on to the exclusives to make the hardware really shine.

coldfoot

Banned
Yeah, as I said earlier I'd expect something like 1440x1080 vs. 1920x1080 or IQ differences in AA/AF to be common.
I'd also add a more stable framerate. A game might drop to 20 fps in heavy action scenes in the Xbone, but will stay at 28-30 in the PS4.

andycapps

Since the architecture both systems use are similar, I imagine most games will be Xbox lead, and it should be easy to slap a higher resolution, AA, etc. onto the PS4 version.

Or, since both are similar to PC hardware, it could be that Xbox games run at the equivalent of medium/ high graphics settings while PS4 is high/ ultra.

This was exactly what I was thinking. Thanks

There isn't a huge difference between 360 and PS3 multiplats, but it's still a slight advantage that comes up a LOT.

It's a feather in the 360s cap.

It's about to be a PS4 feather.

The 360 had a 50% stronger GPU and more than twice the memory bandwidth?

Should be a much bigger feather in this case.

Every single multiplatform will look/perform better on PS4 than Xbox One. You're buying a fundamentally gimped vision of next generation gaming if you buy an Xbox One. If you play anything other than Microsoft's exclusive titles then there isn't a decision to be made, the PS4 is fundamentally the better platform for gaming.

Shai-Tan

Banned
DF and Verge are both a bit clueless about the TV functionality. HDMI-CEC should be in almost all recent cable boxes (and many people are lazy and renting their box which means they could probably upgrade for free if not). The IR blaster is just a last resort.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've missed most of yesterday's hooplah, but what's the word on their CPU? Is it an 8 core jaguar, identical to the PS4's, or has it been (heavily) modified to have more gain?

Every single multiplatform will look/perform better on PS4 than Xbox One. You're buying a fundamentally gimped vision of next generation gaming if you buy an Xbox One. If you play anything other than Microsoft's exclusive titles then there isn't a decision to be made, the PS4 is fundamentally the better platform for gaming.
What if MS cockblocks better multiplatforms with moneyhats though?!

"Here's some cash to not overwork yourselves."

Durante

I've missed most of yesterday's hooplah, but what's the word on their CPU? Is it an 8 core jaguar, identical to the PS4's, or has it been (heavily) modified to have more gain?
They didn't talk about it, so it's safe to assume the leaks are right and it's more or less identical.

Shai-Tan

Banned
They didn't release details so DF just assumed it's the same as rumors with the clock speed unconfirmed and interpolated some details about the gpu from disparate sources.

With the law of diminishing returns, the Xbox One doesn't have to be as powerful. Developers code for the lowest common denominator up. Where was Cell's amazing power advantage for PS3? Nowhere to be seen in apart from Naughty Dog's games. If MS use their cash on exclusives to lock out PS4 and launch at a decent undercut in price, say £50 / $100 cheaper, bye bye PS4.

You have a point there. The Cell was difficult to develop for and required specific development to be taken advantage of. Here we have 2 very similar architectures, so it's a different situation. Developers will be able to tap into the additional power very easily, so even if they target the XboxOne, the PS4 port should have a few easy advantages.

As for price I think both will retail for about the same. The XboxOne BOM might be cheaper, but Kinect is certainly more expensive than the PSEye so it might end up being a wash. This is not counting rumored subsidized prices on getting a Live contract for a few years. I fully expect both to launch at $449-$499.

Top Bottom