• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

4Ml4aFH.gif

Well, have at it. I haven't touched it yet, but I'm going to get into it as soon as I finish my first playthrough. I will also edit this thread to include pertinent details, tips, videos, etc. when I get home.

Multiplayer Trailer
http://youtu.be/5UAqLc416yo

If you want to roll with some Gaffers, list your info as follows:

Gaf Username
PSN ID
Timezone
Mic/No Mic
Additional notes (e.g. casual, play to win, only plays on Tuesdays, etc.)

Special thanks to:
Darknessbear :: Banner Design

GAF Username: Khalifa Jayy
PSN ID: RJN
Timezone: Pacific
No Mic for now
Usually play late at night and I play to win.

neoGAF username - PSN-ID - Location/Timezone
* in front of an username indicates the player has a mic, sorry for anyone I missed
Doesn't include anyone who hid his PSN-ID from Lurkers.

spat_triate - syncOver - US, East
*RS4- - resonating - US, East
*Jafku - Jafku - US, East
DeathCubeK - ||DeathCubeK|| -
*sappyday - sappyday - US, West
dragonflys545 - Fireflys545
Palmer_v1 - ThisStoreSucks - US, Central
*shagg_187 - shagg_187 - US, East
*Sajjaja - Sajjaja - US, East
*Teknoman - TeknomanEX - US, Central
*Darknessbear - Darknessbear - US, West
*Hillsighed - ScareGoat - US, West
*Bajan32 - Bajan32 - US, West
*Marloisasian - Hamburglar - US, Central
Raxus - College_boy - KY
*Flo_Evans - Flo_Evans
*Square Triangle - Jrod87
*Stang6604 - page85 - US, East
*Tentpole - CdotRUN
Blainethemono - blainethemono
*Aesop - Caelsus - Germany
Red731 - Swiftrunner731 - GMT+1
*Kard8p3 - Kard8p3 - KY
*RiccochetJ - RiccochetJ - CO
*CoolNumber9 - CoolNumber9 - US, East
*Soler - Larryhova
*SirIgbyCeaser - Gungnam Style - Austria
*FunkeeFresh - FunkeeFresh - Ireland
Militant17 - Militant - Australia
*JustSquid - JustSquid - Central
*Jinjo - JinjoNL - Netherlands
*HTK - HTK - US, West
*Jagxyz - Jaguarxyz - US, East
*Out0v0rder - out0v0rder - PST
*RDreamer - RDreamer
Inversive - Snakeinaboxlol
*GQman2121 - GQman2121 - US, East
RoboPlato - RoboPlato - US, East
*Agent White - PUSHA-T - US, East
*3rdamention - Filth_Flannigan
*Tagg9 - TaggSte - US, West
*Moneyman232 - Moneyman232 - US, Central
SpartanForce - SpartanForce - UTC-03:00
*MrCow - MrCow - GMT+1
Donthizz# - JJAY_1986
*KAOz - KAOz2000 - GMT+1
Krappadizzle - Krappadizzle - Hawai
Alienous - Msharingan - GMT+1
Grounded_dreams - grounded_dreams - GMT+1
Tattooth - X8BIT - UK
dark_prinny - CRAZY_SPIRIT - Spain
Clott - Clott - US, East
Alej - Alej - France
Whools - hooch_99 - Ireland
*GoddyofAus - GoddyofWar90
Ryuuga - Crusoco - EST
Demonkaze - ChronosTear - GMT
Juan29.zapata - juanpipe
*Nib95 - NIBZY - GMT
Jignx - Jignxs - GMT+1
SpacLock - SpacLock
*Gskyace - Gskyace - +8 UTC
*Bajan32 - Bajan32 - US PST
VisceralBowl - Surhaj - Pacific
*LoserMakesGood - zerostrife - US EST
*Vault 13 Dweller - Vaul_13_Dweller - Pacific
*RyanDG - RyanDG
arab - gonadz_strife
baekshi - Sharingan_itachi
zert - mzertu - Central
Atilac - Atilac - East Coast
*StunandStab - StunandStab - PST
*Raoh - LordRaoh - Eastern
*Syph Medwes - Syph93 - Pacific
*Gen X - Weak_Spot - Pacific
*Gritesh - Gritesh
Bollocks - DoctaLuv
*Pinkman_ABQ - bamf26 - PST
LiquidSword - Siddhartha__ - PST
RavenholmDX - RavenholmDX
Kikarian - Kikarian
*Tiemen - TiemenMeijer - Netherlands
*TheNIX - Nixel84
B-Genius - B-Genius - Japan
*Dreez - koolmoedreez - PST
*Dart - GAM3R_16 - PST
*Didly - tun3addict - US, East
Eleuin - lkkarus - EST
Kikarian - Kikarian
Qwell - Qwell
chri5t - Hutchibl55
VashTS - VashTS_H2O
J-P - MASOCHIST187
*magicaltrevor - Caemgen
*Mik_Pad - Mik_Pad - Central America
Pancho - Danny-kun
*S0cc3rpunk - unknownphyzics - US, Central
zma1013 - zma1013 - US, East
*Mike Works - mikeworks - US, West
Freedom = $1.05 - theberserker22
waypoetic - waypoetic - Sweden
*castaction - castaction
Solidc213 - VVarlos - Mountain

The missed the mark by not including a co-op wave survival mode. But I understand why they did it. The game is about slow pacing and stealth. I love the multiplayer.

Its good, although the metagame seems poorly balanced.

Currently on 72 healthy survivors, crawlin towards the point where I won;t be able to sustain the clan

Overboost

The Last of Us MP is epic. Sit a spell, and hear the tale I told a friend via IM this morning:

me: I had a seriously incredible final match in Last of Us MP last night
me: I jumped off the couch screaming, probably woke my neighbors
him: lol
him: I guess I need to get a ps3 headset
me: each team has 4 people, with 20 respawns. there are little stashes of supplies all over the map, and depending on how outnumbered you are, you'll get more or fewer items in each stash
me: it was down to me against 3 guys in the final few minutes, my dead teammates watching my cam in terror
me: fortunately I had the skill that makes me invisible to Listen Mode when crouch-walking, so I evaded them long enough to stock up on items and set traps in this ski lodge at the end of the map
me: eventually one of them spotted me and they started closing in
me: that's when I went full Rambo.
me: I heard one guy trying to come up the ladder to flank me, so I set him on fire
me: his screams surely filling his remaining teammates with adrenaline
him: you should write Last of Us fan fiction
me: I caught the next guy once in the chest before shooting his nail bomb in mid-air somehow, but he still lived
me: ... just long enough to have all four of his limbs shredded off by my own nail bomb, hidden on the stairway leading to the balcony I was perched upon.
me: just as I thought to myself, "my god, I might actually do this," I heard footsteps behind me.
me: the Last of Them had tiptoed up the ladder and was dead-set on planting a shiv in my jugular to seal the victory.
me: my machete in his chest said otherwise.

I've only played a small amount of it, but what I've played has been interesting. Trying to weave a personal narrative into a multiplayer is hard to do, but it also feels like the game is not about winning, just about not dying. The Facebook integration is clever and it adds the personal element I mentioned, having the survivors be people you know.

For anyone that has played more of it, can things happen to your clan, beside the obvious running out out of supplies?

Cudder

I'm in week 3 in multiplayer and I'm just barely getting the required amounts of food for my colony, even when I play really well :\

How many items per match do you have to get when you get into the later weeks? How is it even possible?

I love how everyone's on their own personal journey, it's not annoying when you're having a great game but your team mates keep dying like in other multiplayer games. I mean winning is nice but getting enough supplies feels awesome whether you win or lose.

OwlyKnees

How do you change missions? Or can you?

I got the first mission in like week 2 and I completed it that day. Now I'm in week 7 and still have the same mission.

Hixx

I'm in week 3 in multiplayer and I'm just barely getting the required amounts of food for my colony, even when I play really well :\

How many items per match do you have to get when you get into the later weeks? How is it even possible?

I need 90 per game atm (week 8 or 9). It's usually pretty tight but I pick up 4-5k worth of parts to subsidize the supplies I pick up from kills so I rarely miss the requirement.

WinFonda

I really like it. But they need to add a couple more modes, like objective or ctf. And please allow campaign characters to be used in multiplayer. This is a big deal for a lot of people.

Lingitiz

Such an amazing MP mode. On week 6 now and still going strong.

One thing I don't like though is if you join a match that's almost finished, or quit one, your sick/hungry numbers take a huge hit.

One other suggestion is some sort of objective mode. I mostly play survivors, but I'd imagine a CTF or something similar to Uncharted's Plunder could be quite cool.

spannicus

Hopefully they add infected to the mix, a horde mode would be awesome, a'la Gears. Playing as the infected would have been nice too.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
MP is damn good, shame it's so bare bones. But still, for how little they focused on it, it's great.

I'm at like week 7, highest I've hit was 107 survivors.

ShogunX

Have about 100 survivors at the moment but It's becoming hard to sustain them all. The MP is great but it has issues - They are a few ways to completely cheapen the game up and pretty much win every round.

Inversive

After playing as both the fireflies and hunters i vastly prefer the hunters, their skins and feel are so much better.

'FUCKER DOWN'

The semi auto silenced is my weapon of choice, though i like the sniper on bigger maps as it's pretty easy to land headshots. Everyone needs to have reviver 1 as a perk, it costs 1 point ffs and can easily make the difference between a loss and a win.

Level 24 atm, i think i play too much :s

I hope the MP DLC adds more skins and game modes, (would love horde mode) rather than maps alone.

jediyoshi

Not sure my clan size at the moment, but I'm needing about 75 supplies per match and getting around 85. The key is remembering to pick up the supplies from enemies you've helped kill.

A tip would be making sure to mark enemies whenever you can, craft every chance you get, and maybe pick up the perk that lets you heal. These all add towards your parts which turn into supplies at the end of the match.

Jb

I'm really enjoying it so far. There's a lot about the metagame I didn't understand until recently, when an "event" happened I always picked the same win condition, not realizing those were getting harder the more you pick the same ones.

But the core gameplay is really strong so far, and people seem to jump into the MP after finishing the solo so they know how to play and don't just run to the center of the maps. I'm rocking the silenced semi-auto most of the time, but man getting kills with the bow is so fucking satisfying too.

SSReborn

I actually wish you could see your teammates health and give/trade supplies with them for crafting and use.

Also I want way better customization than what's currently available.

New modes would be great as well but I'm assuming they are already coming.

I love the multiplayer. Playing with friends is great fun, and I haven't touched the single player campaign yet lol. But the whole clan and survivors stuff is pretty messed up IMO, it's just an annoyance.

Hixx

I actually wish you could see your teammates health and give/trade supplies with them for crafting and use.

You can. There is a little icon under their name that will be green, yellow or red.

Inversive

There is a marker above their head indicating their hp, red for low etc

Overboost

Fun to see this on my screen last night:

zUzjZBq.jpg

One thing I'm not 100% clear on... can you run up behind someone and shiv them, or do you have to be walking/crouching? If you can run and shiv, I got fucking ripped off last night.

dorkimoe

Only played one game. Map seemed small.

Didnt understand the clan thing and the little blue things i was collecting and supplies?

not sure i crafted anything? Do supplies you collect carry over?

jediyoshi

These are both perk specific abilities. I believe the crafting one anyway amounts to giving you a random item to gift after every 2/3rd item you craft. The healer one shows a little health icon on damaged enemies, easy parts

WinFonda

There's a circle next to player name that goes from green to red, that indicates health. Crafter level 2 and 3 allows you to gift a random item. I don't really like the idea of trading supplies. The randomness of item drops keeps it relatively fair. We don't need teams stacking 3 molotovs on a guy every time.

Requiem

My god the MP is such a breathe of fresh air amidst all of the military shooters. Nothing beats shooting an arrow across the map for a head shot (even though they get revived but still damn satisfying).

#TeamBow

Cudder

Fun to see this on my screen last night:

zUzjZBq.jpg

One thing I'm not 100% clear on... can you run up behind someone and shiv them, or do you have to be walking/crouching? If you can run and shiv, I got fucking ripped off last night.

As long as the enemies back is to you and you have a shiv, you can run, walk, or crouchwalk up to your enemy.

Tangeroo

So what is the purpose of the meta game aside from giving you a vaguely interesting way of tracking your overall progress in multiplayer? I get that you get rewards for having increased clan sizes but is that it?

Jarek23

Banned
I love it!

Just finished my 12th week of the Firefly faction last night. I was trying so hard to unlock that damn skull mask (you need 85 survivors at the end of week 12) and in 3 of the last 4 weeks I had those 100% risk to clan challenges. I had 107 at one point but those 100% risks just made it so hard near the end, after my last day and the end of the final 100% risk challenge I ended up with 79 alive. So close!

Anyway, I love it. I really like how it breaks the mold when it comes to how most multiplayer games are played. If you run and gun, if you solo rambo, you are going to fail, plain and simple. Not only that but more than likely your whole team will fail because of you.

If you've got a great team that plays properly (which luckily happens far more often than not) then the game can be extremely fun.

Finally, the balancing is absolutely fantastic 90% of the time.

There is one thing that is horribly executed though. If you get dropped from a game due to loss of connection which most often happens when the host drops out, then you suffer because of it, you get hungry and sick clan members, and if this happens on challenge day it can really screw things up for you.

Also let down that there's no Arena/Horde mode, but what can you do.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
So what is the purpose of the meta game aside from giving you a vaguely interesting way of tracking your overall progress in multiplayer? I get that you get rewards for having increased clan sizes but is that it?

Unlock customization options, that's it I think.

Cudder

So the only requirement in order to "beat" the multiplayer (12 weeks) is to have at least one member still alive in your colony?

So even in the later weeks if you fail a lot and your colony numbers gets really low, that means that the number of required food you need to find drops accordingly, right?

Tried it out and didn't care for it. It's extremely campy (and I generally like campy) and new players seem to be at a huge disadvantage. It's only just the first week most players have way better gear. I can't imagine what it will be like after a month.

Inversive

I love it!

Just finished my 12th week of the Firefly faction last night. I was trying so hard to unlock that damn skull mask (you need 85 survivors at the end of week 12) and in 3 of the last 4 weeks I had those 100% risk to clan challenges. I had 107 at one point but those 100% risks just made it so hard near the end, after my last day and the end of the final 100% risk challenge I ended up with 79 alive. So close!

Anyway, I love it. I really like how it breaks the mold when it comes to how most multiplayer games are played. If you run and gun, if you solo rambo, you are going to fail, plain and simple. Not only that but more than likely your whole team will fail because of you.

If you've got a great team that plays properly (which luckily happens far more often than not) then the game can be extremely fun.

Finally, the balancing is absolutely fantastic 90% of the time.

There is one thing that is horribly executed though. If you get dropped from a game due to loss of connection which most often happens when the host drops out, then you suffer because of it, you get hungry and sick clan members, and if this happens on challenge day it can really screw things up for you.

Also let down that there's no Arena/Horde mode, but what can you do.

I got screwed out of the skull mask too by having two Fireflies attack missions in a row, I think i was 4 population away from it. So retarded. I can sometimes pull off solo Ramboing by flanking with silenced weapons and wipe their whole team out if i'm lucky and they are preoccupied.

sappyday

I did not expect the multiplayer to be this good. The matches themselves are really cool but the only thing I don't like is the lack of customization, it feels like it's not even finished in that regard.

But other than that it's pretty great. Hopefully one of the DLC packs has something to do with the infected.

SSReborn

There's a circle next to player name that goes from green to red, that indicates health. Crafter level 2 and 3 allows you to gift a random item. I don't really like the idea of trading supplies. The randomness of item drops keeps it relatively fair. We don't need teams stacking 3 molotovs on a guy every time.

Ahh I didn't factor that in yeah that does makes sense. Actually when I came up with the idea I was mostly just thinking about giving first aids especially because I usually find more than I need but I figured a trading system would be cool too. But I can see how that would throw off balance.

Lingitiz

Tried it out and didn't care for it. It's extremely campy (and I generally like campy) and new players seem to be at a huge disadvantage. It's only just the first week most players have way better gear. I can't imagine what it will be like after a month.

Not necessarily. The burst rifle is one of the best rifles in the game and is unlocked upfront. Someone could do just fine using the default loadouts until they unlock better stuff.

Jarek23

Banned
So the only requirement in order to "beat" the multiplayer (12 weeks) is to have at least one member still alive in your colony?

So even in the later weeks if you fail a lot and your colony numbers gets really low, that means that the number of required food you need to find drops accordingly, right?

Yup, that's about it. It's simple enough.

But you will have to do challenges, one every week and a couple a week near the end. 4 times, weeks 6, 9, 11, 12 you will get attacked, with a risk of losing 100% of your clan if you don't meet challenge objectives. Just as a heads up, save the easy ones for later, and save them for the 100% risks.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
LOVE the multiplayer, one of the more tactical shooters I've played in a while. Few things of note.

- It's better to lose a few rounds or tie to horde parts. There needs to be something done about this, for instance, a multiplier for winning multiple rounds in a row, or a bonus for a clean sweep.

- There needs to be more modes. Admittedly I'd still play mostly surivor, but something like VIP where somebody plays as Ellie, and one side is Joel/tommies camp, the other is Davids. CTF style fighting over supplies would be good too.

- Less punishment for disconnects. Quitting sure punish the hell out of them, but disconnects? I've had a few random disconnects from the server and I end up with 20 sick people and almost my entire village hungry.

jediyoshi

There's a pretty hard cap as to how much you unlock that goes towards your loadouts, and I don't believe there's any of the main weapons that are locked out by default that aren't available in the preset loadouts. Most of your 'better gear' is bought ingame in the form of weapon upgrades or armor.

If people are holding out in an area, it's incredibly easy to approach them if you have the rest of the map. Aside from flanking, if you've got access to the other loot drops, almost any throwable, craftable item you lob into their area cuts a huge hole wide open to rush.

Revven

So, nothing overpowered discovered yet? I hope so because I'd dislike it if, and when, I do buy this game that it doesn't wind up drastically different from when it launched (see: UC2 MP).

Top Bottom