• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Cudder

Yup, that's about it. It's simple enough.

But you will have to do challenges, one every week and a couple a week near the end. 4 times, weeks 6, 9, 11, 12 you will get attacked, with a risk of losing 100% of your clan if you don't meet challenge objectives. Just as a heads up, save the easy ones for later, and save them for the 100% risks.

ffuuuuuu I already used the standard Takedown one twice.
LLShC.gif

MP > SP

Seriously.

Right now my favorite build is hunter rifle with high level marathon, steady aim, and level 1 sneak.

It's basically a troll class. I usually take out a couple of guys and once they make a concentrated effort to hunt me down they can't because my sprint lasts longer and regenerates faster.

For serious play I roll silenced burst with a silenced shorty and level 2 sneak.

For "u gonna b mad" troll class I use a silenced shorty, no primary, level 2 brawler, level 1 sprint, and level 1 sneak.

This class is basically me running around collecting enough resources to smoke + shiv people or rush in and one shot them with melee weapons.

so much fucking fun

Eleuin

Earlier today had my best game of survivors yet - 11 downs, 9 executions, 3 deaths and I was rolling in supplies

Then going into the final round I get disconnected from the servers and its all for naught :/

I had a mission going on for a 10% clan increase and because of that I could only muster up a 5% next match :(

Spinluck

So, nothing overpowered discovered yet? I hope so because I'd dislike it if, and when, I do buy this game that it doesn't wind up drastically different from when it launched (see: UC2 MP).

It's pretty damn balanced so far.

Most of the time you'll lose because of bad team play.

The gunplay took some getting used to at the beginning. It is much more based on player skill, and teamwork than any of the Uncharted MP's.

They need to fucking fix the disconnection issue though.

MP > SP

Seriously.

Glad that some people may think this.

I personally can't say I prefer one over the other since I had a blast with both. But hopefully it can put that whole bullshit notion that adding MP always ruins the SP, or the naysayers who said this game shouldn't have MP.

jediyoshi

So, nothing overpowered discovered yet? I hope so because I'd dislike it if, and when, I do buy this game that it doesn't wind up drastically different from when it launched (see: UC2 MP).

The bow seems like a top tier weapon from people who can use it well, otherwise everything gets used pretty evenly between main and side arms aside from the regular pistol maybe.

Jarek23

Banned
ffuuuuuu I already used the standard Takedown one twice.
LLShC.gif

Yeah, you'll notice that once you complete them they'll go up in requirements. But don't worry, there are a few others that are extremely easy as well. Just do the ones that you think are impossible in the weeks where you get a challenge to gain new members, try to do the best you can, or just completely ignore it, worst case scenario is you don't get any new clan members from the challenge.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I hate it. I'll only come back if there's any co-op later added to the game.

Two modes that are basically Elimination. No thanks.

ShogunX

People have already discovered a pretty nasty armour rush. If a team of four do it then it becomes almost impossible to stop.

Rolling in a group of four (as in all round the map in a train) with silencers and anti listening perks also is very very hard to stop.

It's not often you come across people using these tactics but they really catch people unaware and get people flustered.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
My "explosion expert" thing is bugged and won't stop saying "new". Now it always shows the exclamation mark next to Gear Up. Fffuuuu so annoying go away.

Effnine

My "explosion expert" thing is bugged and won't stop saying "new". Now it always shows the exclamation mark next to Gear Up. Fffuuuu so annoying go away.

There are different levels to each skill, it's possible you haven't moved the cursor over to the next level. I was annoyed with this too until I figured it out.

Jarek23

Banned

Are you sure you aren't just ignoring the second level by shifting over to the right while in the perk menu?

Edit: Beat.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I just finished SP last night so I'm ready to start MP. I'm gonna record my footage for better or worse for Day 1 just like I did for Uncharted 3 MP. It's amazing to see how you played Day 1 compared to months later.

Facism

bow is bullshit. Hitcher will atest to that when we were left 1v1 and their guy takes me down with 2 arrows with full armour and health despite landing 4 bursts of rifle on the guy, one being headshot.

And fuck off with matchmaking me into running games where the team i'm put on is losing badly and half the timer is gone so my meta-game gets prejudiced hard.

Randoms are so bloody bad at this game it's unbelievable.

Gorillaz

MP > SP

Seriously.

Right now my favorite build is hunter rifle with high level marathon, steady aim, and level 1 sneak.

It's basically a troll class. I usually take out a couple of guys and once they make a concentrated effort to hunt me down they can't because my sprint lasts longer and regenerates faster.

For serious play I roll silenced burst with a silenced shorty and level 2 sneak.

For "u gonna b mad" troll class I use a silenced shorty, no primary, level 2 brawler, level 1 sprint, and level 1 sneak.

This class is basically me running around collecting enough resources to smoke + shiv people or rush in and one shot them with melee weapons.

so much fucking fun

idk about all that but it is good. Naughty Dog still cant do matchmaking for shit tho, and it bugs me especially when it's a team of me and 3 people who don't know what they are doing against a team who is like week 14 and 15 and have played the MP since the dawn of time

It's been 3 games in for MP for them and it seems like they still struggle in this area...I know they aren't a MP dev and they are still fresh but...at some point I kind of hope they "get it"

Hixx

bow is bullshit. Hitcher will atest to that when we were left 1v1 and their guy takes me down with 2 arrows with full armour and health despite landing 4 bursts of rifle on the guy, one being headshot.

And fuck off with matchmaking me into running games where the team i'm put on is losing badly and half the timer is gone so my meta-game gets prejudiced hard.

Yeah the bow is fucking bullshit. If your armour disappears instantly, you know the dude has a bow. And if you can't see him... you're probably dead within a second.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
The only thing I despise about it right now is purchasables. I'm fighting an entire team wearing armor right now, and it's a load of BS

Jarek23

Banned

Yeah the bow is definitely powerful but it's so slow compared to everything else that it really doesn't make that much of a difference, it's also quite a bit harder to use especially if your being shot at and your jolting from taking shots.

Also, the joining mid game thing, whenever that happened I just quit to XMB. I didn't want to screw up my survivors because I was forced into a game that's half finished. It's bad enough getting fucked when the host leaves so you get disconnected.

I'm enjoying playing with randoms at the minute as I don't have a mic. I find most people work together but one person can cost you the victory if they keep going it alone Call of Duty style.

Really surprised with the MP though. Loved the singleplayer, didn't hope for much out of the online but the slow pace really suits the way I like to play games.

PSN Id: IIDeathCubeKII

I don't have a mic, but I try to help the team.

Got a blast yesterday with my cousin and friends..

The only bad thing was some people before the match were spoiling the ending. And I hope they were joking :(

I was waiting for this thread to get made! I'd include my PSN tag but I play intermittently at odd hours because of school and work.

I'm loving the MP, the brutality and shooting mechanics are simply excellent.

demolitio

I really enjoy the MP but they should have been more creative with the modes considering the possibilities. I mean, even having the TDM mode where there are NPC infected to watch out for could drastically change how TDM is played and I'd love to throw a bottle at an enemy player making a clicker run in his direction and start trouble while I focus elsewhere or finish them both off after they're weak. You could change how TDM is played and any other mode really...

That and a coop mode which I still can't believe they missed out on even if it was just random encounters on the MP maps.

The fact that those sort of modes are lacking has me wondering if they are going to do a lot of DLC and split the community up completely...

Biff

I love the game but it's so easy to get one terrible game and have it screw over your clan's supply requirements.

As Facism said getting thrown onto a badly losing team halfway through a match sucks.

Also, winning Survival mode in 4 rounds ruins your supply count. Wtf is up with that, how isn't there a HUGE supply bonus for sweeping the other team? The game actually rewards you to throw your lead and take the match into the 7th round.

Revven

Yeah the bow is definitely powerful but it's so slow compared to everything else that it really doesn't make that much of a difference, it's also quite a bit harder to use especially if your being shot at and your jolting from taking shots.

Also, the joining mid game thing, whenever that happened I just quit to XMB. I didn't want to screw up my survivors because I was forced into a game that's half finished. It's bad enough getting fucked when the host leaves so you get disconnected.

So basically ND didn't learn their lesson with joining games that are in progress, eh? It's the exact same problem as UC3's matchmaking.

It's like they c/p'd UC3's matchmaking and called it day.

Jarek23

Banned
TDM mode where there are NPC infected to watch out for could drastically change how TDM is played and I'd love to throw a bottle at an enemy player making a clicker run in his direction and start trouble while I focus elsewhere or finish them both off after they're weak. You could change how TDM is played and any other mode really...

Damn, I wish they thought of this. That would be so awesome.

B.O.O.M

The Last of Us MP is epic. Sit a spell, and hear the tale I told a friend via IM this morning:

me: I had a seriously incredible final match in Last of Us MP last night
me: I jumped off the couch screaming, probably woke my neighbors
him: lol
him: I guess I need to get a ps3 headset
me: each team has 4 people, with 20 respawns. there are little stashes of supplies all over the map, and depending on how outnumbered you are, you'll get more or fewer items in each stash
me: it was down to me against 3 guys in the final few minutes, my dead teammates watching my cam in terror
me: fortunately I had the skill that makes me invisible to Listen Mode when crouch-walking, so I evaded them long enough to stock up on items and set traps in this ski lodge at the end of the map
me: eventually one of them spotted me and they started closing in
me: that's when I went full Rambo.
me: I heard one guy trying to come up the ladder to flank me, so I set him on fire
me: his screams surely filling his remaining teammates with adrenaline
him: you should write Last of Us fan fiction
me: I caught the next guy once in the chest before shooting his nail bomb in mid-air somehow, but he still lived
me: ... just long enough to have all four of his limbs shredded off by my own nail bomb, hidden on the stairway leading to the balcony I was perched upon.
me: just as I thought to myself, "my god, I might actually do this," I heard footsteps behind me.
me: the Last of Them had tiptoed up the ladder and was dead-set on planting a shiv in my jugular to seal the victory.
me: my machete in his chest said otherwise.

haha damn that sounded great

All these impressions sound awesome..keep em coming

ironcreed

Banned
Played a few rounds last night and it did not really grab me. I appreciate the slower pace, but I just did not find myself caring enough to play more than a few rounds. Sure, I'll go back to it a few more times, but the campaign is where it's at here for me. I am not a big PvP multiplayer guy anymore anyway, which is a big part of it.

Jarek23

Banned
So basically ND didn't learn their lesson with joining games that are in progress, eh? It's the exact same problem as UC3's matchmaking.

It's like they c/p'd UC3's matchmaking and called it day.

Yeah in some aspects they just c/p'd some things, emblems, some gear, getting dropped into matches mid way. But the thing is, in UC2 you couldn't join a match midway, and everyone complained that when your team left you were stuck 4v1 and if you quit you'd lose money. People cried about it, they changed it. Hence why it is the way it is.

Definitely the most fun I have. Never really a fan of the Uncharted MP, but this one is something special.

Add me for some fun.

PSN: fireflys545

Spinluck

Once you start shooting a guy with a bow there's no way in fuck they are beating you unless they get incredibly lucky.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Glad someone made this thread.

This game is AMAZING to play with someone you know. The small teams mean two people communicating properly can dominate a game. Never played such slow, tense, tactical online matches since Metal Gear Online.

It surprises me reviews kinda brushed over it and it received such little prerelease attention because it's a fantastic and unique multiplayer.

Lucifon

I don't understand the mission choice - they seem to scale based on the week you're on, and as a result become pretty damn difficult to complete. What I don't understand though is why you'd pick anything other than 'downs' which seems like it'll always be the most likely one to complete...?

Cudder

I don't understand the mission choice - they seem to scale based on the week you're on, and as a result become pretty damn difficult to complete. What I don't understand though is why you'd pick anything other than 'downs' which seems like it'll always be the most likely one to complete...?

The requirements go up each time you choose the same mission. They get harder.

RS4-

Aside from downs:
Executions, Special Executions, Kills with x weapon, Shivs.

Those are the easiest ones for me. Revives are a tossup, gifting is as well.

Top Bottom