• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Easiest mission is to heal teammates! Can you pick the same ones over and over again? I hope so cause that would make things so easy.

Gorillaz

So basically ND didn't learn their lesson with joining games that are in progress, eh? It's the exact same problem as UC3's matchmaking.

It's like they c/p'd UC3's matchmaking and called it day.

Thats the conclusion I came to as well...most likely the reason they never went into full detail about MP because I think it was kind of a last min thing. It's still good tho

RS4-

Easiest mission is to heal teammates! Can you pick the same ones over and over again? I hope so cause that would make things so easy.

You can, but they get progressively harder if you continue to pick the same ones.

For example, the first time you pick "heal a teammate 5x," next time you choose it, it'll go up to 7, 10, etc.

I don't mind joining mid match...if you weren't penalized for it. Sure you get a bonus for joining, but it isn't enough.

They need different supply bonuses as well: for shutting a team out, etc. and have one for winning; sometimes the lowest person on the winning team will get nothing if the others are stomping.

G.Newell

Damn... i keep hearing how great the multiplayer is but i wanna finish the single player first. I'm more of a PC gamer so im borrowing a friends PS3 to play but im wondering if there is a online pass system since i vaguely remember a thread about it. How much would it cost to buy since im only renting this?

jediyoshi

Once you start shooting a guy with a bow there's no way in fuck they are beating you unless they get incredibly lucky.

If your shots land. If they land the first shot, the recoil and amount of time it takes to line up again is way slower than their ability to get another bow in.

Heyyy, made a quick banner if you want to use it OP. If not my feelings wont be hurt (also open to changes).

RUxnFQ8.gif

OR a more destroyed one:
rFhGEfL.gif

nib95

Banned
I'm really enjoying it. Though I still don't quite fully understand it. What upgrades what, what does what etc. What are cogs for, what do capsules do, can you upgrade stuff outside of a game or just in the game etc etc.

demolitio

Damn, I wish they thought of this. That would be so awesome.

It definitely would make for some of the funnier moments with friends in gaming today. This game already has my friend and I hooked talking about awesome moments and coordinating attacks but imagine the fun that could be had by setting the other team up to get destroyed by the infected while we watch from a distance or even throw a bomb in the middle of them as they're stuck trying to melee the infected?

I just keep thinking of the huge missed opportunities with this game and that says a lot considering how much I love it. I can't imagine that they didn't think of these modes before which makes me fearful of a lot of DLC modes which is the type of DLC I don't like when it fractures a community.

WinFonda

Once you start shooting a guy with a bow there's no way in fuck they are beating you unless they get incredibly lucky.
A good, fast shot with an upgraded semi-auto rifle or pistol can fuck you up via pain wobble. But yeah, bow is really strong for a variety of reasons. Ammo retrieval is another aspect that makes it probably too good. Along with never having to reload a clip for it.

The sniper rifle i feel needs a slightly faster base reload I think, but I haven't played around with the upgraded version. The bow is just simply better for most of the maps they have. Does the same damage, is already silenced.

Haven't used purchasable weapons yet much. The machete is an absolute waste of resources though, considering it costs as much as body armor and disappears when you die. Plus, I've seen the machete drop from supply crates. I think the purchasable weapons might need a couple tweaks. It's quite a lot of loadout points for something you gotta spend money on during the match, and can only use on a single loadout? I'll need to experiment with em more. But I'm thinking most of them should go down to 1 or 2 loadout points.

Got to Week 10 with like 105 survivors and then was hit by 2 Hunter Attacks which takes AT LEAST 20%, ended up with like 75. Really stupid to end on 2 attacks.

Effnine

I'm really enjoying it. Though I still don't quite fully understand it. What upgrades what, what does what etc. What are cogs for, what do capsules do, can you upgrade stuff outside of a game or just in the game etc etc.

Cogs are for purchasing items within the match -- for example, ammo, upgrades and armor. If you go to your crafting window, you will see the option to purchase. It's great when you're stuck or out of ammo and you can just quickly buy and stock up.

Most of this stuff becomes a lot clearer the more you play.

My "explosion expert" thing is bugged and won't stop saying "new". Now it always shows the exclamation mark next to Gear Up. Fffuuuu so annoying go away.

Same for me

Good thing I'm shit with the bombs anyway :p

Does Explosive Expert apply to the smoke grenades as well, particularly the stun radius?

How come my character is sometimes a woman, but my menu character is a guy?

Grisby

Yes but the requirements double every time I think
Yeah, I'm on week 5 and it gets a lot harder. I switched to a rifle from bow and I'm still not that good.

Body armor seems a bit overpowered. A host quitting also impacts your survivors and missions days, which sucks. I also wish I could stick to one avatar and not have it be completely random.

Lol, lost 30 dudes in my last raid attack.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Reading about Multiplayer at the big Trophy forum makes me not want to play it, since the game essentially encourages disconnecting in order to prevent losing all of your progress... I have no idea how prevalent that is in the real world, since I assume most people aren't going for platinum trophies, but it just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I love it. It gets really tense especially in the survivor mode. I just wish they will add more playlists to it and hopefully at least a co-op adventure mode a la UC3 with clickers and runners. Idk how it would work since the game is based around scarcity and surviving but they could find a middle ground.

Flo_Evans

Yup, that's about it. It's simple enough.

But you will have to do challenges, one every week and a couple a week near the end. 4 times, weeks 6, 9, 11, 12 you will get attacked, with a risk of losing 100% of your clan if you don't meet challenge objectives. Just as a heads up, save the easy ones for later, and save them for the 100% risks.

Uh I made this mistake. Killed everyone on a tough challenge in week 6 lol.

MP is damn good, shame it's so bare bones. But still, for how little they focused on it, it's great.

I'm at like week 7, highest I've hit was 107 survivors.

Some times the less complicated a mulitplayer is, the better it plays.

Reading some of these impressions is making me very excited when I get the game in my hands.

dwin45

They really need to add a mode where you can't have a party. It's not fun playing with 3 other randoms on my team matched up against a party of 4 all with mics.

cchum

Had a cool moment just a minute ago. Two armed heathens were attempting to circle around the cover I was hiding behind from both sides. I hit the first fool with a moli, and then ran around his side to shiv the other guy. Feels good.

This is a lot of fun, but

Had a multipalyer glitch where the camera stayed at the spawn point, even if I ran around. It went back to normal when I started aiming... but it would float back to the spawn when I let go of L1! Had to have a friend guide me around to the toolboxes to build a bomb to kill myself.

TripOpt55

I'm not great, but it is pretty cool. I feel really bad when I have a shit game and my little survivors get sick or hungry. Even though they are just dots... I feel bad man... haha.

nib95

Banned
Cogs are for purchasing items within the match -- for example, ammo, upgrades and armor. If you go to your crafting window, you will see the option to purchase. It's great when you're stuck or out of ammo and you can just quickly buy and stock up.

Most of this stuff becomes a lot clearer the more you play.

Cool dude. And capsules? Also, can you upgrade your gear outside of matches, so you start better stocked? Or do you have to do it inside matches?

Lingitiz

Some times the less complicated a mulitplayer is, the better it plays.

Reading some of these impressions is making me very excited when I get the game in my hands.

I agree, look at all the CODs past 4 and Gears 2 and 3 as examples. Yeah it could use a few more modes, but it plays great as is.

Hopefully ND doesn't patch this into oblivion as they've done in the past.

I've had so many great moments. My favorite was sudden death on both sides in University. It was three on our side vs two on theirs. I started making molotovs and bombs, and I'm glad I did. One of my teammate is shot and I start reviving him while I have molotov equipped. As soon as I revived him, the opponents start shooting at us both. I toss a molotov before I went down and it was amazing watching them run out like rats. One of them died instantly (direct hit) while other ran out of the corner and got taken down.

I made quite a few friends on this game, and its so amazing when everyone is communicating!

Effnine

Cool dude. And capsules? Also, can you upgrade your gear outside of matches, so you start better stocked? Or do you have to do it inside matches?

The cogs are for in-game only, I believe. You get one-time boosters, though, that will help you at the start of matches. These you can assign or choose before a match. Most upgrades you choose outside of matches have to do with your loadouts and such.

I haven't played a ton of multiplayer, so I don't know every little detail, but those are the basics.

Edit: I'm not sure what you mean by capsules? Do you mean those little batteries? If so, those are for one-time boosters, if I remember correctly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

NeoUltima

This metagame is stupid lol. They put me in matches 3/4 done so I don't have time to get supplies and my people starve/get sick.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Inside, unless you use a one-time booster. Scraps are automatically transferred to supplies at the end of a match.

This metagame is stupid lol. They put me in matches 3/4 done so I don't have time to get supplies and my people starve/get sick.

You can always come back though. I had one bad game and had 2 people sick. next round, they were all healthy after I did better.

I love love love the metagame as it encourages people to work together instead of worrying about K/D ratio.

Effnine

can someone tell me how can i heal others? thank you :)

A prompt will show when someone is down. I don't think you can just heal if they are low health, but I do believe you can give them a health pack. I had one match where someone kept feeding me molotovs. I don't know how he did it, but it was awesome.

TripOpt55

I was all confused by the crafting when I first started since stuff needs different ingredients than singleplayer.

How does one level up? Is it how many weeks you complete? I'm a little confused so far!

They really need to add a mode where you can't have a party. It's not fun playing with 3 other randoms on my team matched up against a party of 4 all with mics.

This would be helpful.

Triangle. A prompt will show when someone is down. I don't think you can just heal if they are low health, but I do believe you can give them a health pack. I had one match where someone kept feeding me molotovs. I don't know how he did it, but it was awesome.

That's the crafter perk, I think. Level 2 or higher.

First Aid Training (or Reviver. Not sure right now) Level 2 or higher.

It's First Aid Training. Reviver is solely for quicker revival/more health, IIRC.

A prompt will show when someone is down. I don't think you can just heal if they are low health, but I do believe you can give them a health pack. I had one match where someone kept feeding me molotovs. I don't know how he did it, but it was awesome.

This person was a Crafter 2 or 3! This is what I usually play. As they craft items, they get giftboxes. It's a random item that they can't use, but can give to other players!

I love this multiplayer. Encounters freaking MATTER here. It was the best way for them to carry over the emotional heft of the single player, and it was pulled off pretty well.

Effnine

This person was a Crafter 2 or 3! This is what I usually play. As they craft items, they get giftboxes. It's a random item that they can't use, but can give to other players!

Thanks for the clarification, I was trying to figure out what button to use to give stuff to people. I had a feeling it was a skill I just hadn't unlocked yet.

The best part of multiplayer is not picking all the perks, but picking the best. Everyone knowing their role is amazing especially if they are best at what they do.

I've had games with one guy being a straight up healer. He would run and revive you, and heal you. The metagame helps as he receive points for healing. Same goes when you dedicate yourself to be assault, etc etc.

It's hard being jack of all trades.

sunnz

Anyone else feel the armour is waaay to OP? not only does it negate too many bullets ( should be 1) but it's also easy to get without any consequences.

Sure you can shoot the legs.. but when it comes to being actually fighting, going for the legs crosses many peoples mind ( its the same as saying, well go for headshots...)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So basically ND didn't learn their lesson with joining games that are in progress, eh? It's the exact same problem as UC3's matchmaking.

It's like they c/p'd UC3's matchmaking and called it day.

But people complained that they screwed up by not allowing late join, which caused quitters to ruin that particular game. You really can't win in that situation unfortunately.

Also again, anybody know if you can make clans? Seems strange they would leave this out.

Effnine

Anyone else feel the armour is waaay to OP? not only does it negate too many bullets ( should be 1) but it's also easy to get without any consequences.

Sure you can shoot the legs.. but when it comes to being actually fighting, going for the legs crosses many peoples mind ( its the same as saying, well go for headshots...)

Armor can really turn things around for a team, but it's not like you automatically start with it ... you gotta work for it.

I believe it's a nice balance. Its something that anyone can take and its not something you can equip from the get go unless you have a booster.

I always go for more bullets than armor as I can take down the guys wearing armor far more effectively than me wearing an armor and having no bullet.

You see me with armor and my one hitter quitter aka-spiked plank, you better run.

Top Bottom