• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameFly GC, $9.25/month/1go, $13.98/month/2go.

Einbroch

Banned
Well, recently in the GameFly Win/Win thread people were surprised you can get GameFly for super cheap by buying gift certificates, so I thought I'd make a thread and spread the word. This works for new and old members alike.

1. Go here.
2. Buy 3-month, 2-games-out certificate for $36.50 or 2-month, 1-game-out certificate for $26.95.
3. Send it to yourself. You can even use the same email as your account.
4. Enjoy Gamefly 2-games for $12.17 a month or 1-game for $8.98 a month.

I personally recommend the two games out option, and since next gen is going to function the same as this generation, you can stack them (although obviously at your own risk).

This method still gets you reward certificates. It also rolls back your billing date so you won't get billed for a monthly subscription until your giftcards roll out. And as said before, yes, they stack. You can buy and add them immediately to your account without worry. My next billing date is April, 2014.

It's a great deal. Don't have to leave the house for games, don't have to worry about selling them back, and you can even keep your games. I kept Fire Emblem because it was awesome, used by reward certificate and got the box, manual, and everything for like $25.

Sorry if this seems like an ad, but it's amazing and has saved me hundreds, if not thousands of dollars this generation.

Necrovex

Hot damn, thanks for this PSA. I was planning to return to Gamefly in August, and this will certainly be an asset for my bank account!

Owzers

just bought another 2 months as my sub was getting charged again on the 8th. Too bad there's nothing to rent for a month now that i beat the last of us. Dynasty Warriors 8 is going to be bad...

That's awesome, but it's certainly a pricing mistake. The 12 month gift certificate comes out to $17 a month by comparison. It's also supposed to only be used on new memberships, further implying this is a mistake.

Best take advantage of it while you can before they close one or both of those loopholes.

Einbroch

Banned
That's awesome, but it's certainly a pricing mistake. The 12 month gift certificate comes out to $17 a month by comparison. It's also supposed to only be used on new memberships, further implying this is a mistake.

Best take advantage of it while you can before they close one or both of those loopholes.

Been open for two years! It's not a loophole they're looking to fix if it is one. While searching to see if this thread has been done before I found the same thread on CAG from like 2011, so I think they know what's up.

Or if not, my bad. :p

Kallor

I know this thread is a few months old now but I just did this and think its a fantastic deal and that a few more gaffers might want to see it.

Any idea how long this deal will last? I was thinking about renewing my subscription but was going to wait until the end of the year when more good games had come out.

rjinaz

Seems it's been updated.

Actually, it said that when I bought the gift card 2 months ago. I ignored it and it still worked for me and I was not a new member. Unless somebody has tried it and can verify it doesn't work because of a very recent change, I'm going to assume it still does.

Actually, it said that when I bought the gift card 2 months ago. I ignored it and it still worked for me and I was not a new member. Unless somebody has tried it and can verify it doesn't work because of a very recent change, I'm going to assume it still does.

It works. I used a gift certificate just last night. One caveat: it appears they've changed it to a 3 month plan (2 games) for like $36. Still a good deal.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Haven't used these guys in years. Can I expect to play XO games from them on launch?

Oh, just noticed the other thread.

I would do this except I just did a month trial.

Only got two games, both from the very bottom of my list of about 25 games (not all new releases, most six+ months old) and they took their sweet time acknowledging when a game had arrived. I thought they had a system where they send the next game out as soon as USPS scans your returning game in, but it took about a week and a half turnaround between putting a game in my mailbox and getting another.

Been subbed since late 2006 and I never knew of this gift certificate workaround. Totally gonna bite on this. I mean I'm paying like $16 a month for a single game out!

Dude, thanks!!!

I haven't tried renting at Gamefly. How are their services? Are they quick? Can I buy many gift cards? How soon do they get the latest games?

I live near an hour away from CA, Los Angeles.

Is renting cheaper than buying games, since I spend at most a week or two on a game?

Can I get a free trial, then apply the 3 month gift card for 4 months?

Owzers

just make sure to have new releases in your queue and a spot open so they can send you them. Otherwise things don't go well.

Also, renting games is great.

I haven't tried renting at Gamefly. How are their services?

Is renting cheaper than buying games, since I spend at most a week or two on a game?

I assume you're more towards the valley then. I am in L.A. and their service wasn't the greatest for me. Maybe it was my local post office but turnaround was any where from 4-7 days for me. I had the service for 3 months and said no more.

If you're going to keep them for a week or two I would say it is worth it. Good luck getting new releases though. I had them queued weeks in advance and never got a new release sans GTA5

Holy SH**

The 1st Month Trial and Gift Card stacks! 4 Months of entertainment all for ~$39.42.

Though for 1st month, I can only rent out 1 game.

Lunchbox

Banned
I haven't tried renting at Gamefly. How are their services? Are they quick? Can I buy many gift cards? How soon do they get the latest games?

Can I get a free trial, then apply the 3 month gift card for 4 months?

never have enough copies of new games

will send games out of order in your que

will say now available for 2 days straight, then say out of stock and send you a 3 month old game which they missed 3 months ago instead

throw in coupons that expire in weeks

Awesome! I pay $25 a month for 2 games out at a time, so $39 for 3 months is like $36 off, almost 50%. And it worked, even though I am a current member. Thanks.

Gator86

Thanks OP and late bumpers! You can't beat 12 bucks a month for 2 games out at a time. I bought two 3 month gift cards.

Thanks for the thread, putting only ps4 games in my queue, I don't really want any of the launch titles but I want something to play on my ps4.

That and beyond two souls :p.

Omg, Assassin's Creed IV for PS4 just shipped from Gamefly! :D

Can't believe I'm getting 4 Months of Service for a price of $59.99

Einbroch

Banned
I'm using this as my Christmas preset for my brothers. They think I'm spending like $75 on them, but I'm only spending $35. I'm cheap.

I have been using them for a decade, and have never had a problem. If I put an upcoming release in the top of my Q it always ships on release day. I also love that I can keep the 60 dollar game for 40 bucks if I like it.

This seems real abusable. I cancel my old account when I'm done and make a new one, same address but with a new name. I got one of those new users 2-games/2 months/$20 dollar deals, and they're shipping games out to "Alan Moore". Last time it was "Henry Jones Jr."

Now I get new games like Arkham Origins and Ratchet and Clank Into the Nexus for a fraction of the price, send them back when I'm done.

Balphon

This seems real abusable. I cancel my old account when I'm done and make a new one, same address but with a new name. I got one of those new users 2-games/2 months/$20 dollar deals, and they're shipping games out to "Alan Moore". Last time it was "Henry Jones Jr."

Now I get new games like Arkham Origins and Ratchet and Clank Into the Nexus for a fraction of the price, send them back when I'm done.

Lots of things are cheaper if you're willing to commit fraud.

RPGCrazied

They were really, really slow getting me games. Of course this was a couple years ago, maybe they are better. But I'm liking the newer price. When I tried it, it was like $21 a month.

Exis

For all of those saying they are slow getting new games.. I have never really had that problem. I am sitting with COD and AC4 for the PS4 and they got me both GTA and Beyond within a week of them launching this year.

Dartastic

Omg, Assassin's Creed IV for PS4 just shipped from Gamefly! :D

Can't believe I'm getting 4 Months of Service for a price of $59.99
None of my stuff has shipped because of the holiday. I'm assuming they'll get back Wind Waker HD and HOPEFULLY send me BF4 for PS4 tomorrow.

Are there negatives in renting compare to buying?

I remember buying Red Dead Redemption for PS3 at $50 straight from Amazon and it came with the Golden Gun DLC.

I later sold the game for $50, and sold Golden Gun DLC for $20. I kept the poster of Bonnie. :3

Drago

Despite living in Houston and there being a shipping center in Austin TX, my shipping center is set to Kansas City with no way to change it. >:T

I really hope they can help me out with this, even if they say they won't. Makes no sense that I'm set to a location that's much farther away. Makes it a 3 day wait both ways instead of a 2 day one.

Petrie

Banned
Seriously considering getting a sub, but I think it'll be awhile before the PS4 has enough games to justify it. Decisions, decisions.

GeeDuhb

It's been this way for years.

True it has, but the price has fluctuated. It is currently down to $12 a month for the 2 out at a time with the 3 month cert. It used to be like $15 a month for a 2 month and then around Christmas last year the price dropped to around $13 a month, and then went back up after the holidays.

But yes, it has been this way for a while. It is amazing the this ISN'T a mistake, seeing as it is super cheap for the 3 month as opposed to the 12 month, but you would think if it was someone would have caught it by now...

I have been a Gamefly customer for over 5 years now and have been doing the GCs for at least 3. When I first started, you had to buy the year to get the bigger savings.

Top Bottom