• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 15-21 | Post-EVO Pillow Talk

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iUMef5zCoFfui.png

Week of July 15th to the 21st, 2013.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread.​

i6NWB6Lpnvjn.png

Another year of competitive fighting games has concluded with another Evolution Championship tournament, EVO 2013. An incredible event, covering 9 official tournaments and plenty of side-tournaments that delivered in spades. Official tournament results are available here for your perusal, but below is a quick summary of the winners on the biggest stage of fighting games is below:

• Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition v.2012: MCZ DM Xian
  • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: EMP Flocker
  • Injustice: God's Among Us: EMP KDZ
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee: Mango
  • The King of Fighters XIII: AS Reynald
  • Street Fighter x Tekken: MCZ WW Infiltration
  • Mortal Kombat: Crazy DJT88
  • Persona 4: Arena: Yume
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2: CafeID Knee
  • Skullgirls: Duckator (Side tournament)
  • Divekick: MeanSaltine
  • Super Street Fighter II Turbo (Ratio): Afrolegends
Also, a quick shout out to all of the GAFers who competed in EVO 2013 this year, with an especially big shout out to GAFer GGA 16-Bit who made Top 8 in Mortal Kombat! Be proud! :)

i21eNNLQhmgu.png

Mad Catz Unveiled [ Thursday ] [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]

[URL="http://www.twitch.tv/topangatv"]Kachitagari TV (JP)​
[ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
Iron Fist League [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • TS Sabin a.k.a. Arturo Sanchez and Anakin host an online TTT2 league featuring hand-picked participants. It is in a round robin format and prizes include entry and venue fee coverage for the upcoming Final Round. [ON HIATUS]
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
WakeUp SRK Live [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Keits and skisonic host the weekly official podcast of Shoryuken.com. [ON HIATUS]
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
When's Marvel Weekly [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • FChamp and the FGTV Live crew host weekly Marvel sessions and hijinks. [ON HIATUS]
Cross Counter LIVE [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]
  • Cross Counter LIVE returns with the help of VxG. Cross Counter LIVE is a weekly talk show hosted by Gootecks and Mike Ross, who discuss hot button topics in the fighting game community.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

iPyLZQFf7lWbd.png

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Bifuteki's channel. [THIS WEEK WILL BE ON www.twitch.tv/nycfurby]
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

iVzRxuKRiBFVb.png

Valley Stream Monsters Thursday Night Casuals [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • Kombat Network presents a weekly offering stream monsters a chance to get on the streams themselves.
Stream Monster Online Tournament [ 8:30 EDT | 5:30 PDT ]
  • Weekly 16-player UMvC3 online tournament run by FGTV and sponsored by eightarc.
FNC The Arena [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • UMvC3 weekly out of Long Island, New York, which sometimes features other games.
Salty Cupcakes [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback Season 4 [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

iboMhZ3uYuJ9BO.png

KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
Fraud-Free Fridays [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • Weekly tournament run at the FGTV house. Don't forget about the second FGTV stream as well which compliments the main one. [ON HIATUS]

iPFL8tsIxU1un.png

None at the moment.​

ibnaQzvIvdHU3z.png

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.

iHQzZ24kcsQiA.png

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too:
Additionally, if you want to really get involved, you may want to check out the various OTs for specific games:
GAF isn't the only FG community in town though. Here are a whole bunch of other FG communities across the internet that may be of interest:
  • 8WayRun - Soul Calibur franchise community
  • DOACentral - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Dream Cancel - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more US-centric
  • Dustloop - Forums/community for Arc System Works-developed games
  • Eventhubs - Frequently updated news blog, resource and forums for all things fighting games
  • FreeStepDodge - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Homing Cancel - Arcana Heart community
  • iPlaywinner - Large fighting game news site and resource, and the home to Teamsp00ky and iPlaywinner
  • Jet Upper - UK-centric news source and community
  • Mayonaka Midnight - Persona 4 Arena community and resource
  • Melty Bread - Melty Blood community
  • Mizuumi - A resource for various "poverty" games
  • Orochinagi - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more EU-centric
  • Reddit Fighters - Reddit's own fighting game community subreddit
  • Shoryuken - Mainly 2D, Capcom game centric hub, and probably one of, if not the largest FG community on the internet
  • Skullheart - fan Skullgirls community and resource made official
  • TekkenZaibatsu - Tekken franchise community
  • Test Your Might - Mortal Kombat and Injustice community and resource
  • UKFGC - UK-centric news source and community
  • Smash Boards - The largest Smash Bros. Community™
  • VFDC - Virtua Fighter franchise community site

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or PM me to let me know.

Azure J

I'll just set off the fireworks now:

- Makotodabess
- #WhensMelee: Seriously, I am so so so so so happy for this part especially this EVO. The community came and fucking brought it with sharp play, real hunger and endless hype. Good shit to them. Nintendo better learn to treasure them soon. Also good shit to Fighting-GAF newbies with genuine curiosity for the game. Was very fun nerding out about Smash with you all.
- Cloud805 man. Bess Dante.
- Heet.
- Single best EVO and major in the past 3 years of my fighting game playing life right here.

Who wants to cuddle?

It wasn't this bad last year. I guess people were too exhausted to type by the time AE was up. I remember way more genuine excitement like with MadKOF Bala finals and Infrit plus Champ matches.

And I wasn't talking about ALL of GAF mostly the people who rarely come to FGW threads and probably don't even play much fighting games complaining about characters, players, games or tactics.
Last year's Marvel was really boring. This year I got hit with a hard knockdown again and again.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Nintendo's gonna be all like "New Smash or nothing" if peeps try to get Melee into Evo next year, so y'all smashers better hope the new one is good.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Made a bet with Marky. Who places higher between Chris and Champ. Both were tied. You can't write a crazier outcome.

OBS and the next FGTV streams should be interesting. EMP wins two titles and Champ losing to an online warrior.

EVO threads total is up by 300k+ views this year.

Best EVO ever.

Next year. Ultra SFIV. I predict lots of Kens again with his buffs.

Beckx

My opinion of Infiltration was turned around entirely this EVO. I like the dude a lot more now. That Hakan play was inspirational. I gotta learn that shit.

Some personal EVO thoughts before Triforce shuts down the FGC:

The highs:

• The community coming together to stream events like P4A and Tekken pools.
  • SF4 pools -> semis was amazing, some of the best tournament play I’ve ever seen
  • SF4 finals still felt a little flat, but was still a lot better than last year.
  • Stream numbers were great, topping out at just under 145k before timezones started to win. Because of those timezones, I didn’t catch KOF or Melee, but I’ve head they were great to watch too.
  • Marvel finals was as hype as I have seen for a long time. Justin winning was very memorable.
  • You don't need upsets and big names going out to make things hype...but boy does it help.
  • I really enjoyed Tekken finals which was a bit of a surprise. It has made me pick up the game again, which is surely a lot of the point.
  • We had some late nights, but overall things kept moving and there seemed to be very little down time. Some of the events such as the 3v3 in SF4 were brushed, but the event didn’t lose anything because of it.

The not so highs:

• Injustice, sorry, I tried, but I got nothing from it.
  • Marvel pools > semis was very ordinary.
  • The community having to get together to stream pools, when MK9 had an empty hall and full day stream.
  • I really enjoyed P4A, but the grand final was just a walk-over. Sad we may not see too much more.
  • Because of the realities of a tournament, some of the biggest matches happened off-stream. Hopefully the CPM monsters come through for us.
  • The stream quality seemed “inconsistent”. It might be my bad memory, but I thought it was godlike last year in HD, for some reason it always seemed a bit murkier this time around.
  • The commentary in the grand finals of AE was flat.
  • Yet again we have to stream monster with no brackets or updates and commentators who rarely know the state of the tournament. I understand the logistical challenges…but it’ll remain an issue until a solution is found.
  • Sfxt, I like the game, but the grand finals showcased all the worst aspects of it. If only a few more interesting players had survived it might have done better. Justin Wong especially might have been hype in Marvel and he is doing what he needs to do to win…but come on son.
  • I understand why Killer Instinct gets a spot, but it was really poorly done and dragged on forever. The constant plugging of it as an “xbox one exclusive” also was annoying (understandable, but this is a personal list).
  • Similarly the announcement of Street fighter minus Tekken (aka Ultra Street Fighter 4) was a let down. The most boring characters from Sfxt and some ripped stages? Yeah I’m not keen. The balance changes are welcome, but we’ll just see what else they do. If they announce gems…
  • PR Rogs random head butts beating out Haitani’s legit random mashed ultra play.

Overall, despite the issues above (which I’m sure all have some good response) I still consider it to be the best EVO I’ve ever watched. Not by a little bit either, this EVO was incredible.

Some final awards:

* Player I enjoyed watching the most: Haitani
* Player I enjoyed watching the least: Justin “Timer scam” Wong.
* Favourite Pools: SF4
* Favourite Finals: Marvel
* Biggest Surprise: TTT2 grand finals

hahahahahaha. Who is this?

oh its adelheid. What did jay do to deserve this wraith?

edit2: oh its in the youtube comments lol
Viscant shit talks anime games.

I just want to say Cloud805 is my hero. A Zero player with a legitimate Dante(although his Dante kept getting hit by Shuma which made me sad).

NO!
Yeah, Cloud getting hit by Shuma-Gorath made me really sad. Definitely a lack of matchup experience, because Shuma-Gorath should never hit anyone solo. He's a piece of shit.

Don't ask, just grab.
That philosophy is why the police around here know me by name.

Mr.Wizard does.
Not my type.

Dahbomb

Boring as fuck thread title. Shame on you Enzo!

BTW people thought I had lost my shit when FChamp lost... not really. He should've stuck with Dorm in that final game and he should've won that set. I always liked FChamp but I have always been a bigger fan of Justin "Marvelous" Wong more. So the EVO finals were especially godlike for me. I think both of them making top 8 EVO 3 times in a row is a major accomplishment in of itself.

personal heros of the weekend

-PR Rog dude was hype as shit

-Adelheid Stark playing DiveKick as S-Kill cross handed.

EDIT: Oh and Justin for unleashing the Wong Factor

xCobalt

A little random but I'm glad Trag is on the house mic every year. He has a good voice for it and makes the match more exciting before it begins.

So Infiltration and ChrisG vindicated and turned face?

Infiltration won with Hakan and Zero is proven to be a bigger problem than morridoom.

Adelheid Stark also makes videos for marvel and is the record holder in speedrunning Donkey Kong Country IIRC. She also got 3rd in Divekick. Though she did open a parasol indoors to jump off the stage, so I don't know how much bad luck she accumulated. She would be faced with the challenge of dealing with a legion of fans defending Viscant's purity before she will be able to reap his soul.

Busaiku

Evo 2014 lineup, let's go

Ultra Street Fighter IV - 1700
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 - 1500
Super Smash Bros Melee - 800
Injustice Gods Among Us - 400
BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma - 300
The King of Fighters XIII - 300
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 250
Skullgirls - 150

Killer Instinct - 1

Dahbomb

Last year's Marvel was really boring. This year I got hit with a hard knockdown again and again.
Nah man last year's Marvel was amazing. FChamp vs Combofiend, FChamp vs ChrisG (legendary set), Infrit matches and Frutsy in top 8. This year was just that one in 5 years type EVO shit.

Top Bottom