• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 15-21 | Post-EVO Pillow Talk

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm not gonna lie, injustice was kinda unhype. Not sure if it was the lack of volume from the game, or the commentators not delivering (ultradavid was fine, the other guy I wasn't digging). CEO, and UFGTV was much more enjoyable to watch for injustice.

Superman is fucking ridiculous, and completely made every character look free as shit.
This is why people complaining about scorpion was dumb as fuck :p

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I'm not gonna lie, injustice was kinda unhype. Not sure if it was the lack of volume from the game, or the commentators not delivering (ultradavid was fine, the other guy I wasn't digging). CEO, and UFGTV was much more enjoyable to watch for injustice.

Superman is fucking ridiculous, and completely made every character look free as shit.

I thought it was good, but paled in comparison to Marvel/AE, obviously. I think the big problem with that game from a spectator point of view is that 2 of the best characters are also the most fucking boring ones.

Dahbomb

I am not worried about Injustice, it will be a vastly different game by next year in terms of which characters are on top. Also game is new and most people aren't super proficient with the game yet.

I wonder if TTT2 will make it to EVO 2014 if its tournament attendance continues to decline. Sure, token 3D fighter, but still.

The core Tekken community is solid enough for it to come back, and the franchise is a big enough staple, even with the shenanigans that took place this year. I don't expect the number of entrants to be higher, though.

I *hope* Xrd has a significant presence at EVO2014, even if the game doesn't have a NA release at the time. Have some exhibitions or special presentations, show the game off. It can't possibly go worse than KI's presentation.

Slurmer

Banned

Superman is a boring character, and everyone uses him. That's the games biggest problem in relation to lack of hype.

I wonder if TTT2 will make it to EVO 2014 if its tournament attendance continues to decline. Sure, token 3D fighter, but still.

Despite all of the complaining, Tekken at Evo was still the largest TTT2 event in America, outdoing Final Round. The top players all seemed to be getting reinvigorated for the game in the week leading up to Evo, Bronson (shockingly!) doing so well and hyping up the event will probably keep interest up leading into TFC/Filthy Cup in the Fall. By then, if attendance numbers still look good then Evo will most likely bring it back when they make their roster decisions in December/January.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

It was the weakest game on Sunday for sure. I thought the commentators were alright though.

Also Magus was the best on commentary this weekend than he's ever been. Progressively toning down the tier stuff though he still has it in him.

ChrisG's cranky ornery attitude towards losing (aside from today), general humorlessness, and attitude towards Evo, including "ur a faget"-gate. I don't know if it falls under the wrestling fan the definition of heel, but he seems to have a highly impacted cloaca or something. I realize that's what helps him win, but it also makes him hard to like.

Infiltration is not heel, he's just evil looking and cold/calculating. There isn't anything objective to make him seem like he has a poor attitude or whatever. He plays, wins, or loses, he's a machine. You don't see much of a reaction either way from him.

But when you're up top, you get gunned for, that's how it has to be. Nobody gets to be the 100% loved and well-respected champion because other people will always wanna be the champ.
Hahaha, that's the first time I've heard that.

Yeah, the way he spoke...he sounded a bit slow.

I am not worried about Injustice, it will be a vastly different game by next year in terms of which characters are on top. Also game is new and most people aren't super proficient with the game yet.
I am sure it will become just as exciting as MK9 with due time.

Astarte

Injustice really isn't for me. I just realized that I'm holding onto the game even though I didn't touch it for weeks; I guess the netcode and how everything looked so..stiff got to me.

Should I pick up Skullgirls?

What a weekend. Fun, exciting and tiring. Probably should have went to the event. Always next year.

Kinda surprised that I posted so many times in both Evo threads. Then again, I had nothing else better to do so....

FSLink

Banned

Yup, especially with the game still getting new content and balance updates unlike another comic related game.

vocab

Injustice really isn't for me. I just realized that I'm holding onto the game even though I didn't touch it for weeks; I guess the netcode and how everything looked so..stiff got to me.

If you have a pc that can play games Id wait for that version. At least play the demo before buying though.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I'm just a guy who likes fighting games but doesn't actually play them very often, and loves watching EVO. This year was awesome and I wanted to share my thoughts

- I've never understood Smash Brothers at all, never clicked with why it's popular or even how the percentage thing works, and I've even played it. But watching the finals today, I got it, and it was rad. Had a lot of fun watching and would love to watch again
- With Marvel, every time EVO rolls around I have to go look up what X Factor does, try to make sense of what I'm seeing on the screen, fail, then forget what X Factor does a week later. Again, it never really clicked with me. The finals this year, like Smash Brothers, were rad. Still not quite my bag, but it was super fun to watch
- Street Fighter, as always, was dope. Super tense moments, pure excitement. Loved it. One thing I wish they would do better is explain some stuff that's more apparent to veterans and ends up going unspoken. I had no idea Gen had multiple stances until one of them mentioned it in passing, and gained respect for the dude playing. Still don't know how Evil Ryu is different from normal Ryu or Akuma. Didn't know Akuma had lower health. Had never even seen Hakan played at all and was thankful they explained the oil stuff. They used terms like Frame Trap and FADC and Hit Confirm a few times, and while I think I know what most of those are (academically), it would be nice to have them elaborate in case there are aspects to those things I don't know but that I should know. But I'm dwelling on that when I shouldn't be, it was a great watch as always.

Couldn't help but wonder what Capcom is going to do with SF5 one day. Do they carry over all the existing characters since they're probably afraid to wipe the slate and start over for fear of another SF3? Make it Dota style with just an avalanche of characters? I'd hope they'd introduce new mechanics and nuke some existing ones, so I wonder if it would be mutually exclusive to have all the same characters while introducing new mechanics. Should be interesting

Clawww

Fighting Games Weekly: HEE HEE

i3x7SRTC4vGv0.gif

quoting cuz mr show

Whether you should pick up Skullgirls depends on what you like in games. If you like Marvel, you will probably like Skullgirls.

Couldn't help but wonder what Capcom is going to do with SF5 one day. Do they carry over all the existing characters since they're probably afraid to wipe the slate and start over for fear of another SF3? Make it Dota style with just an avalanche of characters? I'd hope they'd introduce new mechanics and nuke some existing ones, so I wonder if it would be mutually exclusive to have all the same characters while introducing new mechanics. Should be interesting
I'm more concerned about what Capcom will do with the gameplay. IMO, Street Fighter is the perfection of what it is trying to be. Focus Attacks are fantastic. It's in a similar place to Tekken in that I don't know what could really be added to it.

JDdelphin

Infiltration is not heel, he's just evil looking and cold/calculating. There isn't anything objective to make him seem like he has a poor attitude or whatever. He plays, wins, or loses, he's a machine. You don't see much of a reaction either way from him.

dude has aspergers, let him be

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Via EVO thread, Capcom talks a bunch of things:

On PC fighting games:
angstygaijin: Great news! So stepping back from this update and looking at things a bit more generally, how are the Street Fighter games doing on PC? With Sven leaving, who is the new “hero” for PC gamers at Capcom USA?

Matt Dahlgren: We’re still planning to follow the legacy he’s been setting. PC is becoming a much larger focus this time around, and we acknowledge the fact that when we launch the PC version of a title too far after its console counterparts, it’s difficult for that community to take off. We’re working very hard this time around to reduce that timeframe. If we can pull off a simultaneous release on all platforms, that’s something we’ll definitely shoot for. Catering more towards the PC audience is something we’re planning to do from now on.

On the new character (which pretty much hints at it being from an existing universe):
angstygaijin: So back to new SSFIV, can you provide any hints as to who this new character may be? Have we seen this character before, even if it happened to be outside of the Street Fighter franchise?

Matt Dahlgren: You have not seen this character played in any Street Fighter game before. So whether or not it’s a character from that universe or not I can’t say at this time, but I can say for certain that you have never seen this character played in the franchise before.

No plans for next-gen SFIV (he kinda dodged the question..):
angstygaijin: Any next-gen plans for the franchise?

Matt Dahlgren: We currently have no plans to bring this new Street Fighter update to next-gen consoles. Street Fighter IV was the fighting game that defined this generation of consoles, and with existing fan feedback being the major force behind this new update, we’re limiting our release plans to Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. As for the future, who knows? Many of our decisions are based off customer feedback, so if the demand is there, perhaps that’s something we’ll look into.

Darkstalkers is dead confirmed:
itsvandole: One last thing! Are DarkStalkers truly dead?

Matt Dahlgren: We don’t have anything to share about DarkStalkers at this time, other than the upcoming title update for DarkStalkers Resurrection.

itsvandole: Not even a wink or a nod?

Matt Dahlgren: Nope. Sorry.

The Good:

AE How can we get this level of competition for the other majors?
Haitani picking Makoto just to hype the crowd after playing Rufus off stream all tourney.
Jwong and his wong factor bringing the hype.
Reynald bodying everyone that fell into loser's bracket.
Stream numbers. Really hope big Esports teams see this. If bigger sponsors arrive then we can get players like Haitani coming over regularly

The Bad

Marvel pools. I was really getting frustrated with the amount of times I saw Neo play. Everyone ask for Nemo and we got a guy that is 24/7 on stream in FGTV.

Stream lagging during prime time hours.
Too many great matches missed during Marvel pools

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, still thinking it's either Haggar, or perhaps a cross promotion like a Darkstalkers character to get people more excited about a possible Darkstalkers IV.

Darkstalkers Resurrection is getting an update?

Darkstalkers is not dead confirmed.

Yeah, still thinking it's either Haggar, or perhaps a cross promotion like a Darkstalkers character to get people more excited about a possible Darkstalkers IV.
Darkstalkers characters are so strong that they're even nerfed in Marvel. No way would Street Fighter survive one.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I'm more concerned about what Capcom will do with the gameplay. IMO, Street Fighter is the perfection of what it is trying to be. Focus Attacks are fantastic. It's in a similar place to Tekken in that I don't know what could really be added to it.
Eh, I feel like I heard people saying that before SF3 and before SF4. I agree with you about worrying, but the fact that it would be new isn't what the concern should be

Infinite

I know this wont happen but I want the 5th character of ultra to be a rival schools character. Kyosuke, Batsu or Akira more specially

vocab

I know this wont happen but I want the 5th character of ultra to be a rival schools character. Kyosuke, Batsu or Akira more specially

That would be awesome, but i really think capcom are gonna do something bizzare that no one asked for.

Maybe the Ultra PC update hitting the same time as consoles is no longer a pipe dream then

Trailer confirmed it's steamworks. So, no more 6 month waits between patches.

Busaiku

I doubt they'll skip out on an ArcSys game next year.

I kinda randomly put down a number for Marvel, but I forgot what the number of entrants was this year.
I actually expect every game, except Street Fighter IV and maybe Super Smash Bros Melee to see a decline.
Maybe something like 20% minimum, maybe less for Marvel vs Capcom 3.

And given that, I doubt they'd want to lose the unique entrants that an ArcSys game would provide, even though it's not that big in comparison.

In fact, I'm gonna make a bold claim...
I think ArcSys will actually have some sort of Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R big side tournament/exhibition to promote the release of Guilty Gear Xrd.
And given that, I think they might also pay for BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma.

Kikujiro

- Street Fighter, as always, was dope. Super tense moments, pure excitement. Loved it. One thing I wish they would do better is explain some stuff that's more apparent to veterans and ends up going unspoken. I had no idea Gen had multiple stances until one of them mentioned it in passing, and gained respect for the dude playing. Still don't know how Evil Ryu is different from normal Ryu or Akuma. Didn't know Akuma had lower health. Had never even seen Hakan played at all and was thankful they explained the oil stuff. They used terms like Frame Trap and FADC and Hit Confirm a few times, and while I think I know what most of those are (academically), it would be nice to have them elaborate in case there are aspects to those things I don't know but that I should know. But I'm dwelling on that when I shouldn't be, it was a great watch as always.

They actually do this kind of commentary for people who are not familiar with fighting games lingo during pool plays.

As for SF5 the staple characters are coming back (Ryu, Ken, Chun etc.), game will be different from SFIV, but I don't know how much. They can't just throw more characters because balancing a FG is not easy, the first release of SFV will probably not have a lot of characters.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I sorta agree with this. For SF specifically, even the focus attack is sort of a re-appropriated parry system. Increasingly agreeing with scytheavatar about Ono not knowing what direction to take the franchise, but it is tough. That's a huge burden, and no matter what your going to piss off a huge chunk of loyalists of SOME SF game along the way.

TBH I think a gem+groove combination system is the future. I think SFxTK was an experiment of sorts, but they may be so removed from the idea now that they won't even attempt a fixed version without all the needless complexity. In my imaginary SFV, there are multiple nuanced playstyles within characters themselves, or at least applicable properties that change the game. Though I do want some radical, risky stuff too, but Ono isn't 'bout that life.

kick51

Banned
Also, every game was a blow up except SF X Tekken.

The favored players and previous year's winners lost everything.

I feel Daigo's non-presence and CPUme shoryu game was a story too. Maybe he'll remember you have to go to tourneys and play. That crap about "expression" was the worst. I kinda like Seth cause he always feels like he's about to go overboard on the sentimental stuff, but he really went overboard on buying that stuff. There is expression in fighting games, but it comes through more real when you play to win, whether you want it to or not. I didn't want to think that stuff about Infiltration at NYU was an option select, but it really was. Just seems like no one questions the guy or calls him out...top 8 at this tourney is by no means bad, but he was playing at about 50%, looking a bit like the guy who got lucky and squeaked by.

Sheroking

Top Five moments (I hate Persona and don't play KOF, so they're excluded).

5. Wobbles! Ice Climbers are so fun to watch.
4. Crowd chanting "heeh" when Akuma throws air fireballs.
3. Xian winning! Dude is a boss. Deserves it for unlocking Gen.
2. Street Fighter's semi finals were insane. Rog v. Infiltration, Justin v. Fuudo, Tokido v. Daigo. Highest level Street Fighter play I've ever seen.
1. Justin's run in Marvel. Holy crap. Coming back on ChrisG's Morrigan/Vergil with Akuma when they have X-factor shouldn't even be possible. He is the best, I just wish he didn't hate MVC3's metagame so much, because he'd be dominant if he grinded out top tiers like Champ grinds out top tiers.

Looking forward to Ultra SF4. Pretty amped about that.

Dahbomb

SFV everyone will hate at first, say it has broken/OP shit and bad mechanics but still play it and get hyped over it while Capcom keeps updating it.

Same for MVC4 only minus the updates.

Top Bottom