• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 15-21 | Post-EVO Pillow Talk

FSLink

Banned
4. Crowd chanting "heeh" when Akuma throws air fireballs.

This made me laugh especially since I already started mimicing the sound while watching with my buddies streaming at home. And then I started hearing it from the background and the commentators pointed out that the crowd was doing it too. Man I wish I was there, haha. Always loved that kind of stuff, like the Vega/Balrog sounds during Super Turbo in older years.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Second biggest problem is the SFV roster. How will they keep it reasonable to develop but still create a respectable combination of old and new?

SF3 failed miserably at it, SFIV and MvC3 did okay, but even then the bitching from people was through the roof.

Even creating a list of essential characters is difficult. SFIV did especially well in that regard, but will they just do that again and replace Rufus/El Fuerte/Viper/Abel/Gouken/Seth with 6 other new cats and call it a day or go further?

kirblar

Second biggest problem is the SFV roster. How will they keep it reasonable to develop but still create a respectable combination of old and new?

SF3 failed miserably at it, SFIV and MvC3 did okay, but even then the bitching from people was through the roof.

Even creating a list of essential characters is difficult. SFIV did especially well in that regard, but will they just do that again and replace Rufus/El Fuerte/Viper/Abel/Gouken/Seth with 6 other new cats and call it a day or go further?
You also need to add its own twist while keeping the SF2/4 "feel" intact, which 3 failed miserably at. That's not an easy thing to do.

This is also why you lead with DS4.

Sheroking

You also need to add its own twist while keeping the SF2/4 "feel" intact, which 3 failed miserably at. That's not an easy thing to do.

At this point, you have to keep the Super Turbo cast. They're all too iconic to drop. I don't think people would throw a fit over dropping Vega or whatever, but still.

I also think this is where the DLC era shines. Updates like Ultra should be the norm, updates like Super should be dead. Affordable DLC to rebalance and add to your disc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Yup, that's pretty succinctly the first problem.

And it is pretty hard. Even on my armchair I cannot propose a solution aside from speeding it up a bit, lowering hitstop a teensie bit and maybe taking a second look at hitcircles (which didn't feel like SF2 when they first tried it). But those aren't real solutions.

kick51

Banned
The original 12 have to be in, everyone can agree on that. Cammy and Fei probably have to be in. After that...it's war.

K.Sabot

They've gotta be working on SF5 if Darkstalkers is dead.

Ultra SF4 doesn't seem like a big undertaking for them and they can't have 100% of the fighting game team on a glorified balance update / SFxT port.

Just cause you are ass at them beef doesnt mean you gotta keep bashing them :3
At least Karst admits they are hard Kappa
Me not playing them has more to do with coming in too late to get into Guilty Gear (I don't like to join games late) and BlazBlue being very boring.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Top Five moments (I hate Persona and don't play KOF, so they're excluded).

5. Wobbles! Ice Climbers are so fun to watch.
3. Xian winning! Dude is a boss. Deserves it for unlocking Gen.
2. Street Fighter's semi finals were insane. Rog v. Infiltration, Justin v. Fuudo, Tokido v. Daigo. Highest level Street Fighter play I've ever seen.
1. Justin's run in Marvel. Holy crap. Coming back on ChrisG's Morrigan/Vergil with Akuma when they have X-factor shouldn't even be possible. He is the best, I just wish he didn't hate MVC3's metagame so much, because he'd be dominant if he grinded out top tiers like Champ grinds out top tiers.

Looking forward to Ultra SF4. Pretty amped about that.
Yeb did back in vanilla, and Capcom nerfed him hard for it. It wasn't until v2012 that he became truly viable again.

Trey

SF3 was a casualty of its time. A game that technical and well made would thrive in this fast information age. It also won't be releasing during the death of arcades. Append a decent story mode, go balls out with the feature suite, don't make it look like ass, and profit.

kirblar

They've gotta be working on SF5 if Darkstalkers is dead.

Ultra SF4 doesn't seem like a big undertaking for them and they can't have 100% of the fighting game team on a glorified balance update / SFxT port.
TxSF is coming. They're not going to cannibalize it. (And boy, did Tekken get the better end of that deal, huh?)

FSLink

Banned
The original 12 have to be in, everyone can agree on that. Cammy and Fei probably have to be in. After that...it's war.

Akuma is also too loved by Capcom and fans to not be in as well. C.Viper out of the SF4 characters is probably a lock as well. I'd imagine everyone else is a toss up depending on whether they recycle assets or not for SF5.

Infinite

Just make Sfv look like guilty gear xrd and you good. Also speed up the game a little bit.

I'm joking but man I did I disliked the art style for sf4. If they can do what arcsys is doing then that's awesome

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Daigo showing was so damn weak after that fake promise vid of a come back.
I don't doubt he tried. He's probably not just as good at fighting Infiltration as Infiltration is at fighting him. Also Akuma making Ryu work much harder in this version.

Sheroking

Akuma is also too loved by Capcom and fans to not be in as well. C.Viper out of the SF4 characters is probably a lock as well. I'd imagine everyone else is a toss up depending on whether they recycle assets or not for SF5.

After Ryu, Akuma is probably THE most liky returning character. Even moreso than Ken, who is also a mortal lock

FSLink

Banned
Just make Sfv look like guilty gear xrd and you good. Also speed up the game a little bit.

I'm joking but man I did I disliked the art style for sf4. If they can do what arcsys is doing then that's awesome

I disliked SF4's artstyle at first too but I love it in motion. I do agree if they go for more of MvC3 or GG Xrd's style I'd be more satisfied. I'd also really like if they tried to go for the SF4 CG style with actual ink or watercolor effects for next gen.

Dahbomb

Is anyone else kinda worried about the balance in USF4? I think AE 2012 has pretty solid balance but now that USF4 is coming with new characters I can't help but think they might mess up somewhere. Either make one of the new characters too good or too shit.

Infinite

Is anyone else kinda worried about the balance in USF4? I think AE 2012 has pretty solid balance but now that USF4 is coming with new characters I can't help but think they might mess up somewhere. Either make one of the new characters too good or too shit.

That's a legit concern and it can't be helped

kirblar

I'm glad they're location testing it. But yeah, I would put money on a 2015 edition coming out to smooth things over.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I really wouldn't mind them being too shit. Means less matchups to seriously consider!

kick51

Banned

yeah, I was a little disappointed about new characters. I wanted a patch this year that fine tuned the game. It might be another goose chase for balance ala Arcade Edition.

Top Five moments (I hate Persona and don't play KOF, so they're excluded).

5. Wobbles! Ice Climbers are so fun to watch.
3. Xian winning! Dude is a boss. Deserves it for unlocking Gen.
2. Street Fighter's semi finals were insane. Rog v. Infiltration, Justin v. Fuudo, Tokido v. Daigo. Highest level Street Fighter play I've ever seen.
1. Justin's run in Marvel. Holy crap. Coming back on ChrisG's Morrigan/Vergil with Akuma when they have X-factor shouldn't even be possible. He is the best, I just wish he didn't hate MVC3's metagame so much, because he'd be dominant if he grinded out top tiers like Champ grinds out top tiers.

Looking forward to Ultra SF4. Pretty amped about that.
It's like Justin pulled a 180. "Villain" player from East Coast. Known to be a tier whore. Popular to root against. Now he lives on the West Coast. People bemoaning that he doesn't play top tier teams. Now a crowd favorite.

chriskun

yes, i was just hoping for a balance update. I bet rolento is gonna be ridiculous.

cdkee

Banned

That always happens. In any case, I'd be happy to ease the Akuma/Cammy monotony

chriskun

yeah, I was a little disappointed about new characters. I wanted a patch this year that fine tuned the game. It might be another goose chase for balance ala Arcade Edition.

don't you remember they made AE unbalanced on purpose ; )

That's a legit concern and it can't be helped

Haggar, Hugo and Poison you would expect to be pretty straight forward and nobody will ever play Elena beyond about 5 minutes. Because of that, Rolento is my only concern. Could easily see him being complete bullshit with some sort of vortex and safe moves.

I predict they'll try to keep him balanced with low health...and that will fail miserably.

Marvel finals was so good, and I don't even play that game.

I'm kind of excited about USF4. I just sort of want them to shuffle the balance for all the characters so it feels like a brand new game again.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If USF4 has whatever the 4 player local mode from SFxTK is called ported over, I will buy the game in an instant. Box art making it SO tempting already.

But bed time for me. Wow, what a weekend. If Triforce does a stream, someone please snatch the archives for me before they are deleted, thanks!

don't you remember they made AE unbalanced on purpose ; )
I like how Capcom referred to it in the interview as "Hong Kong Edition."

All balance changes approved by Combofiend
Kinda surprised how much influence Combo has. He really is the new Seth (and probably the boss of SFV).

El Sloth

Banned
Might as well re-post this here. From the EVO thread:

You know, I'm surprised the big online stores like Steam don't have massive sales for the games at EVO during and right after EVO. People always seem to get the itch to play again watching. Big sales would push many right over the edge.

Of course, but I think Capcom would still gift us with one more free balance patch if things get too Marvel in USF4.

Shouta

Yup. I think the other 3 will be shit.

Good Poison is scarier than good Rolento in SFxT. She's much more of a AE-slanted character as well. Elena should be good to great as well. Her being in 3S was a really bad match because she's much more of a footsies char than most and Parry makes it harder to play that type of game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Good Poison is scarier than good Rolento in SFxT. She's much more of a AE-slanted character as well. Elena should be good to great as well. Her being in 3S was a really bad match because she's much more of a footsies char than most and Parry makes it harder to play that type of game.

Shouta knows what's up. I can tell from the people I play against that she is annoying as hell to fight. Her hp fireball is going to be nightmare fuel in SF4

Surely not pre-patch though?

Top Bottom