• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 15-21 | Post-EVO Pillow Talk

ReiGun

Injustice has two big problems as a spectator game near as I can tell. One is that NRS can't make an aesthetically pleasing game to save their lives, and the second is the lack of character variety.

The first will probably never change unfortunately, but the second is really a matter of time. One of the things that made CEO exciting for me, for example, was that it was practically Harley Quinn's coming out party. She's a fun and interesting character to watch. And then you have a few characters everyone swears are good, like Batgirl, but no one is playing right now. The game is still stuck in that early phase where everyone is defaulting to the easy and dull characters. Once everyone levels up (and NRS swings the nerf bat a little more :p), I think we'll see a drop off the in reign of Superman/Aquaman/Black Adam/Batman. Hell, I was hype to see Wonder Woman used in top 8 because she is almost never on screen and she got bodied. :(

On Ultra: I want the fifth character to be a completely new Street Fighter, but the way Capcom is tip toeing around it makes it sound like it's just a crossover thing. Oh well. I just hope Elena doesn't suck.

El Sloth

Banned
Good Poison is scarier than good Rolento in SFxT. She's much more of a AE-slanted character as well. Elena should be good to great as well. Her being in 3S was a really bad match because she's much more of a footsies char than most and Parry makes it harder to play that type of game.
Fucking this. I do fine with Elena in 3S until I meet someone who remembers that parrying is in the game. And Chun-Li does everything Elena does and then some.

Well, I plan on committing to her even if she ends up being shitty tier in this game too. I'm already used to it!

Infinite

Haggar, Hugo and Poison you would expect to be pretty straight forward and nobody will ever play Elena beyond about 5 minutes. Because of that, Rolento is my only concern. Could easily see him being complete bullshit with some sort of vortex and safe moves.

I predict they'll try to keep him balanced with low health...and that will fail miserably.

Wow this is what I think will go down except ill be the dummy learning Elena whether or not she's crap or solid.

Seriously all I want out of this game is for Yang to be competitive.

No one cares about pre-patch sfxtk at this point. That's like talking about ssf4ae yun

Well, we will be talking about pre-patch USF4 when it comes out, so it will be relevant. You would think they learnt some lessons after Rolento in vanilla sfxt and the twins, but I wouldn't count on it.

Shouta

Surely not pre-patch though?

Everyone is stupid pre-patch but that's the version that isn't being played anymore anyway. Post-patch, Poison is much better than Rolento. She has the special moves and normals to really back it up.

Granted, she's a much more methodical control char than Rolento who's more rushdown control, IMO. Slightly apples and oranges.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Looks like the SH sticks are all sold out. They made too few of them for demand.

Aquapazza is on finestko stream. I would rather watch it over SFXT, any other anime game or any NRS game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Poison and Hugo have the highest chance of becoming BS in the SF4 engine, Rolento will become Ibuki lite
Looks like the SH sticks are all sold out. They made too few of them for demand.

Aquapazza is on finestko stream. I would rather watch it over SFXT, any other anime game or any NRS game.

Aquapazza is ok, it's more of a fanservice game than anything. It's still good fun though.

Granted, she's a much more methodical control char than Rolento who's more rushdown control, IMO. Slightly apples and oranges.

That is where I think she will be easier to balance for Capcom. I'm thinking somebody like Rose, solid against everybody, but nothing that really stands out. Dare I say it, but the changes to the metagame will determine who is better (system changes? hmm).

Of course who really knows. Hugo will get destroyed by super buffed Dhalsim.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That is where I think she will be easier to balance for Capcom. I'm thinking somebody like Rose, solid against everybody, but nothing that really stands out.

If her HP fireball still works the same way and her reka knocks down still, *which is basically her whole character* she will stay strong no matter what they do to her.

I feel Daigo's non-presence and CPUme shoryu game was a story too. Maybe he'll remember you have to go to tourneys and play. That crap about "expression" was the worst. I kinda like Seth cause he always feels like he's about to go overboard on the sentimental stuff, but he really went overboard on buying that stuff. There is expression in fighting games, but it comes through more real when you play to win, whether you want it to or not. I didn't want to think that stuff about Infiltration at NYU was an option select, but it really was. Just seems like no one questions the guy or calls him out...top 8 at this tourney is by no means bad, but he was playing at about 50%, looking a bit like the guy who got lucky and squeaked by.

Daigo basically playing with an Aquasilk mentality now. The problem is, is that not many people can appreciate a good Ryu. They rather watch Haitani Makoto.

If her HP fireball still works the same way and her reka knocks down still, *which is basically her whole character* she will stay strong no matter what they do to her.

I think that is an interesting aspect to the new version. Obviously Fei Long's rekkas were nerfed because they were too strong in 2012. But here we have characters who rely to some extent on strong rekkas.

Shouta

That is where I think she will be easier to balance for Capcom. I'm thinking somebody like Rose, solid against everybody, but nothing that really stands out. Dare I say it, but the changes to the metagame will determine who is better (system changes? hmm).

Actually, Hugo might be a troublesome match-up for Sim assuming he'll work the way I think he does. Backbreaker is an AA throw and if they don't totally nerf it, he might be able to catch Sim limbs in the air. His ex lariat will probably have armor too. He also isn't exactly a slouch in reach either sooooo. It'll really depend on the properties though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think that is an interesting aspect to the new version. Obviously Fei Long's rekkas were nerfed because they were too strong in 2012. But here we have characters who rely to some extent on strong rekkas.

It's not completely her reka that's strong in the fei long sense, it's the fact it knocks down which lets her set up her HP fireball.

Edit: Shouta when you get back let's play more SFxT I need to play it more often :(

Clawww

I hope there's more Vega changes in store. Not that I think he's particularly weak, just meh, nothing interesting has happened to him this whole fuckin time.

Actually, Hugo might be a troublesome match-up for Sim assuming he'll work the way I think he does. Backbreaker is an AA throw and if they don't totally nerf it, he might be able to catch Sim limbs in the air. His ex lariat will probably have armor too. He also isn't exactly a slouch in reach either sooooo. It'll really depend on the properties though.

Yeah that'll be a tough one to get right. So many match ups to consider.

How do you feel about it all from a sfxt perspective? (and sfxt at evo in particular?)

Clawww

anyone have tips for pad marvel

I play on stick normally but I only have a pad for now

what's a good set-up and how can I best wavedash on a 360 controller?

Sigmaah

LMFAO, from the EVO thread.

Straight spazzing lmao.

freakoutevo1lbf3.gif

Also, if you use Ghost Rider, all you have to do is hold back and press H + L or M to wavedash backwards without having to press down. Same with Vergil, but with holding forward.

ILoveBish

Evo delivered more then i could have ever imagined. Highlights were champ losing for sure, and the justin comebacks. Also rog was was such a beast, focusing so much. Loved it. Also, HAKAN IN TOP 8. Damn, so many amazing moments.

Shouta

Yeah that'll be a tough one to get right. So many match ups to consider.

How do you feel about it all from a sfxt perspective? (and sfxt at evo in particular?)

Uh. it was fully expected really. It was only a matter of time before they imported them into AE to kill two-birds with one stone.

SFxT at Evo is kind of the same thing with most of the other majors. Pool play for the game is amazing but Top 8 or so is a bit more slow/stupid/whatever. It's solid play but it's not really doing anything that takes advantage of the system in the game. I spoke with Ultradavid and a bunch of other folks about it and I think most of us agreed. It's almost criminal because there some amazing fucking matches that folks didn't get to see.

Most people are free to Infiltration in the game because Infiltration actually seems to have spent a bit of time learning his chars and how to play them. A few other folks have as well but don't get as far for x or y reason. When you get two players who know the game, then you get stuff like Seth vs Infiltration at Final Round.

Justin deserves some props though as he wasn't just doing boost combos in his matches. He started doing some proper tag combos as well. I don't think most people actually realize that, heh.

broz0rs

I feel Daigo's non-presence and CPUme shoryu game was a story too. Maybe he'll remember you have to go to tourneys and play. That crap about "expression" was the worst. I kinda like Seth cause he always feels like he's about to go overboard on the sentimental stuff, but he really went overboard on buying that stuff. There is expression in fighting games, but it comes through more real when you play to win, whether you want it to or not. I didn't want to think that stuff about Infiltration at NYU was an option select, but it really was. Just seems like no one questions the guy or calls him out...top 8 at this tourney is by no means bad, but he was playing at about 50%, looking a bit like the guy who got lucky and squeaked by.

Completely agreed. I just facepalmed as Seth was trying to make such an overtly sentimental point.

I remembered when AE came out in Japan and Daigo stated that he switched to Yun because he felt Yun was the most powerful character and he felt obligated to his sponsors to WIN tournaments using all means necessary. Last I checked he is sponsored by Madcatz and a few other companies so it's puzzling why he thinks he's a real life Ryu now and doesn't have a win at all cost attitude.

Shouta

Completely agreed. I just facepalmed as Seth was trying to make such an overtly sentimental point.

I remembered when AE came out in Japan and Daigo stated that he switched to Yun because he felt Yun was the most powerful character and he felt obligated to his sponsors to WIN tournaments using all means necessary. Last I checked he is sponsored by Madcatz and a few other companies so it's puzzling why he thinks he's a real life Ryu now and doesn't have a win at all cost attitude.

Because, regardless of whether or not Daigo still gets first place, he's still a big name in the community and attracts folks. He doesn't need to be winning to help Madcatz out. He wants to be a char loyalist to Ryu in this game because he feels it best fits his style and that he can play the way he wants to. Nothing overly sentimental about it.

Because, regardless of whether or not Daigo still gets first place, he's still a big name in the community and attracts folks. He doesn't need to be winning to help Madcatz out. He wants to be a char loyalist to Ryu in this game because he feels it best fits his style and that he can play the way he wants to. Nothing overly sentimental about it.

If anything, putting Daigo v Infiltration first up seemed like a bit of a hype killer. It just doesn't feel the same once he is out.

He didn't seem to be having a good time in 2011, in all fairness

Watching Evo this weekend and seeing:

•Veterans messing up and not killing opponents characters(Wong).
•Being the favorite to win a tourny isn't a guarantee
•Original characters come through(Gen SF1)
•Everyone loves to watch video games(stream viewers)

I also notice not alot of lol gifs this year

Top Bottom