• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witch Beam dev: PS4s GPU makes it "The Most Powerful Console In The World"

artist

Banned
UPDATE;

Soooo this is probably a mistake, but I should make a statement (I'm Sanatana Mishra, the dev quoted in the OP).

Honestly I didn't think what I was saying would be this controversial, the paper specs of all the consoles (And yes, Wii U is real console) have been debated extensively by just about everyone, including big features from reputable sources like Edge. I was trying to explain that being very powerful should make it easy for us to hit our framerate target while turning on all the visual effects we want, but we're also committed to the other versions running at 60fps so they all play great.

Yes our game is not the most intensive around and yes it would probably max out on the Xbox One as well, but I wasn't asked about that. People are not wrong when they point out we're a tiny indie and our comments on console power are irrelevant, although they are wrong to assume we said this with the intention of it blowing up on news sites & forums, I find It very sad that this statement has attracted more attention than any article about our actual game :(

Searched and couldnt find. Shocked it wasnt posted yet.

“From a pure tech perspective it’s undeniable that the PS4 GPU will make it the most powerful console in the world and for us that means we can turn on every visual flourish we want while keeping a smooth & responsive 60fps. We’re focused on every version running at 60fps including Vita, frame rate is king.”
Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/ps4s-gpu-make...60fps-possible-witch-beam#0fcJeMm8ljLyu8f6.99

Well, as far as I can tell, the specs of the PS4 are simply better than the Xbox One's. (Hence it can indeed be called the most powerful console) But it is good to get opinions from developers confirming this.

chugen

frame rate is king

ugoKd.gif

Holy fuck no way!
A new generation of consoles being more powerful than those that came before?
Get the fuck out of here with that witchcraft!

goomba

Banned
Comparison is probably between the next-gen consoles but seeing your tag I'd be surprised you acknowledge that.

Quite an open definition of console, just like how the next-gen consoles are PCs.

its a box thats purpose is to connect to your tv to play games , how isnt a steam machine a console?

BigDug13

Sure, among the currently released consoles, it's the most powerful. But isn't there a STEAMBOX coming with a Titan inside? (Not saying it will be price competitive, but it will certainly be more powerful.)

We already know it is the most powerful out of the 3, I don't think anyone is seriously debating that anymore. The debate that rages on is always "how much difference will it make".

ps3 could run linux , that didn't make it a pc.

Sure, and I don't want to make one definition for a console and a PC. The definition doesn't change what the system is actually capable of. Although Steambox is different from the current consoles, that much we can probably agree on.

Kurt

To be honest, this says nothing about how powerful a console still is.
I still think it does not match a pc even close.

I'm still disappointed about how far the leap is between current gen & next gen.
Keep in mind that we have to paymuch $$ for something like that

Consoles can never match PCs. You can always build a better one. For consumers though, the matter is about deciding which one has better games and price to value ratio. It is really a matter of taste.

artist

Banned
Oh you could swap the Mobo, Cpu, Mem, and Gpu in those, well that is certainly shocking...
lol

I'm still disappointed about how far the leap is between current gen & next gen.
Doesnt come anywhere close to the grunt in PCs.

Shaneus

Also keep in mind you're comparing the end of one generation with the beginning of another. So perhaps we should compare PGR3 to Driveclub.

artist

Banned
How's that questioning developer capability?
The other day some one laughed at a dev who worked on XBLA game (in context of pushing graphics) and bish politely asked him to not do it.

Surely any machine whose primary imput is a controller and is designed to be played in the living room is a console. So Steam Machines would count.
PC by definition is open, consoles arent. (regardless of how much they try to ape PCs)

Top Bottom