• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PiixL's "Jetpack" is a ultra thin SteamOS PC that is hidden to the back of your TV

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/ne...os-pc-straps-to-the-back-of-a-television.html

British PC manufacturer PiixL has launched a PC designed for use as a living room gaming machine.

The PiixL Jetpack, which runs Valve's SteamOS software, straps to the back of a flatscreen television to hide it from sight.

The Jetpack is designed to be an open gaming system, allowing users to customise its specs depending on their needs.

It supports high-end components such as overclocked Intel Core i7 processors, the latest graphics cards from Nvidia, including the Titan and GTX780, and up to 1TB of SSD storage.

Users can also wall-mount the machine, and run other operating systems such as Windows and Linux.

"Jetpack is designed for gamers that do not want to compromise on performance nor interior design," said Francois-Xavier Gardes, Piixl's managing director.

"Whether wall-mounted or on a table, its presence stays smart and minimalistic while providing leading edge-performance and tweak potential virtually on par with a full-tower. If the future of gaming is open, so should be the hardware platform it is being played on."

The PiixL Jetpack will be released on January 1 with a price tag of around $1,000 (£612).

http://piixl.com/

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Bonus slide that does not appear on the website but I deduced its url:

5.jpg

Interesting, and it certainly makes it look visually better due to hiding it away. I can't help but question whether this is going to be able to run cool enough at high performance to not overheat. It seems like having a Titan + i7 strapped to the back of a TV that's attached to a wall is just asking for heat flow problems.

nullset2

Seems like ventilation havoc waiting to happen, but it looks very, very nice.

Price kills me though. Maybe this kind of product will get other manufacturers to make computer cases in the same form factor, too.

mclem

Only thing I'd flag up is that they're promoting it as upgradable yet placing it somewhere that can be an absolute pain to get to.

Other than that, though, I love the idea.

oVerde

Banned
Good good, does anyone feels this smell? The smell of a last generation of video game living room consoles?

Durante

That's an awesome design. I appreciate the revolution in form factors (while sticking with basic exchangeable components) seemingly fueled by the Steam Machine concept.

Obviously, I'll stick to my tower, but I love options :p

Rich!

If you have enough money to buy that, you can spend it on a decent rig and work out a way to hide it from sight (behind a drywall, under the entertainment unit, in another room, etc)

ukas

So it's basically a 1U server chassis with built in sliding rails mounted to the back of a TV. Ingenious but, it will definitely add some weight to the TV.

Thats a pretty awesome form factor. (Though less than awesome price point.)

Going to be really interesting to see all the crazy Steam Machine designs people come up with.

mr stroke

If you have enough money to buy that, you can spend it on a decent rig and work out a way to hide it from sight (behind a drywall, under the entertainment unit, in another room, etc)

For that kind of dough you could run a massive rig in you're garage with a long hdmi cable through the ceiling.

Plus that case would be a pain to get to. You would have to un mount your tv every time :/

RulkezX

So I'm the only one who thinks covering the fans on the back of my tv with a small radiator is a really shitty idea ?

Oppo

I think I like that little custom cube computer design better. I forget what it's called. Doesn't the flat nature of this behind the screen mean that the Wi-Fi interference might be bad?

PSGames

3.jpg

This pic makes me wish some TVs of this size had a touch screen option. Would be pretty cool to navigate Windows 8 on. Anyway wonderful concept, if this has decent specs I might pick one up.

Thank you, PiixL, for a very clever idea indeed. Thank you also for deciding that your clever idea was worth an exorbitant amount of cash. This will hopefully inspire some other companies to perhaps leverage modern manufacturing techniques to produce a similarly designed case that consumers can use to build their own SteamBoxes just as we are accustomed to building our own PCs. Many thanks again.

Oakey

Banned
Where is the CPU cooler?

Well, that's the elephant in the room with this proposal.

notice the internal shot doesn't include all the cabling either. Let's see what it looks like when the mobo connector is plugged in and the 2 x 6pin connectors for the GPU, etc

Neat idea, going to take a closer once I'm off phone.

Anyway is SteamOS even releasing by jan 1? Also is this an official Steam Machine?

plainr_

Wow this is actually pretty clever. I'm a fan of small appliance-like HTPC's but this is an even better approach for the living room.

ph00p

Banned
Interesting, and it certainly makes it look visually better due to hiding it away. I can't help but question whether this is going to be able to run cool enough at high performance to not overheat. It seems like having a Titan + i7 strapped to the back of a TV that's attached to a wall is just asking for heat flow problems.

I agree, you've got the heat from your TV flowing from the back, plus the heat from this machine going into the TV, there doesn't seem to be a fan solution in this that drives the heat to the edges of the TV. You might potentially just melt your TV back and this gizmo, it's clever though.

If I had infinite money, I'd get this + a TV that supported a Cintiq stylus.
Shit would be retardedly expensive, but fuggit.

I'd get the case at maybe $200, or 300, but $1000? Nnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Where is the CPU cooler?

That's what I was wondering.

Given available space above the CPU, I would assume it would require some form of water cooling system. Either that or a slim form factor heat sink + fan.

I like the idea though.

Edit: The discharge vents over the mobo would be up against the wall or the back of the TV....which seems bad.

plainr_

I don't understand how this is one thousand dollars though. This can be built with scraps of metal. Even if it include fans, PCIe extender, and a PSU, it still doesn't make up for the huge price tag.

Top Bottom