• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How the hell Killzone survived 10 years is beyond me

Endo Punk

Any franchise that has survived this long without a break in between have contributed to the genre or gaming in general but Killzone is just something else. Guerrilla are very lucky that Sony just don't give a fuck and spend money on first party like its nothing. Any other publisher and the IP would have been recognised as the crap it is long ago. It's such a reactionary franchise that doesn't do one thing better than other FPS games out there.

I understand Guerilla are working on a new IP and I really hope they can prove their worth. And seriously end this dumb ass Space Nazi franchise. It's getting worse with every entry either critically or with fan reception. Step up and do your job Shu. It's clear Sony doesn't have pedigree with FPS so leave the genre alone and bring back shit you know.

Do you think Guerrilla have been worth the purchase?

BONDO

I like Killzone, so yes
They just dont have the replay value of other shooters(for me)
Besides, its pretty and decent enough to play....so it sells

R3TRODYCE

Killzone 2 was so damned good! However KZ3 and KZSF were both mediocre so I can see what you're saying.

Killzone 3 and 4 have some of the worst single player campaigns I've ever played in my life. I won't be burned a third time, no matter how good 2 was.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Because it's a good series and the games sell well.

I despise people like you that say this franchise should die or that GG should be closed/sold. I don't think I've seen more people wishing for a studio to close than this one lately, even before SF was out. I know the series isn't the best but what it does well it does very well and it has a fanbase and makes money. It's not a industry shaker but not everything has to be.

I sure do miss Timesplitters. Oh if only fortunes could have been reversed. On topic though, I just can't get into Killzone, I try every time.

I have always disliked the games because of the input lag and just being mediocre in general.

However, people enjoy the franchise, so leave it be - diversity is good.

Bebpo

Banned
Aren't you the guy that made that Knack-bashing thread yesterday? Seems a little late to the hate on PS4 first parties train that came with the review scores weeks ago.

That saying, KZ Shadow Fall is a terrible game. However KZ2 was pretty solid though, Liberation got great scores, 3 got great scores and Mercenary got great scores. Seems easy to see why the franchise is alive.

KZ has a unique feel to it that no other FPS can match for me. For that reason I've enjoyed every KZ i've purchased. KZ:SF multiplayer is a blast IMO and I can't wait for the free maps and co-op mode.

Killzone 2 was pretty good, I enjoyed the multiplayer in it. The past two outings have been pretty bad though. I guess Sony keeps them around because they provide a game that looks great in gifs on gaming forums and trailers.

Networker

Banned
Yeah I also had this question in my mind few months back during PS4 reveal. It really is surprising that Sony is keep funding this franchise. It literally doesn't offer anything compelling. No true story like Halo universe or killer MP like COD or Battlefield.

Though I won't lie, I have enjoyed every Killzone since the first one except Killzone 3. But the problem is, none of them are memorable, just mehh. FPS great graphics so yeah I played it.

Well...it's good to have options. I do agree that it's not doing anything better than any other FPS, but there's nothing wrong with quality options...and it's a quality option.

Will they ever make a Killzone game that defines an FPS generation? Probably not. But that doesn't mean the games aren't worth making or playing.

As for whether they were worth the purchase...eh, probably not. Not if their expectation was a "Halo killer" franchise. If they just wanted another competent FPS option for their consoles, they're getting their money's worth. The games are generally solid, just not significant in the genre.

- J - D -

It's a shame because the KZ timeline suggests a pretty rich universe to mine....in the hands of a studio more capable of bringing it all together in a more compelling fashion. That said, I did enjoy KZ2 and Mercs.

EMT0

Banned
Shadow Fall was my first Killzone game. The universe seems cool but....goddamn are the characters and story awful. It's dudebros in space. And tbh, it just doesn't feel fun to play. The puzzles get in the way of the gameplay and as much as old school shooting purists are going to frazzle me for this...it's easy to get lost and have not a goddamn clue what to do because trying to make out things becomes near impossible with all the insane amounts of effects. It's like wearing too much make up in game form. So much that it just makes what was good look worse.

Trojan X

Banned
Any franchise that has survived this long without a break in between have contributed to the genre or gaming in general but Killzone is just something else. Guerrilla are very lucky that Sony just don't give a fuck and spend money on first party like its nothing. Any other publisher and the IP would have been recognised as the crap it is long ago. It's such a reactionary franchise that doesn't do one thing better than other FPS games out there.

I understand Guerilla are working on a new IP and I really hope they can prove their worth. And seriously end this dumb ass Space Nazi franchise. It's getting worse with every entry either critically or with fan reception. Step up and do your job Shu. It's clear Sony doesn't have pedigree with FPS so leave the genre alone and bring back shit you know.

Do you think Guerrilla have been worth the purchase?

You know what? I agree with you. The game doesn't do anything for me nor my friends in respect to other FPS out there. We tried many times to get into the game but it done nothing for us other than provide an interesting story. To be frank the game bored us.

Oh well, it does generate profit for Sony and the developers so since the market is there then it's good for business.

MisterHero

The first one looked and sound great. It was linear but not terrible. A franchise could survive like that I suppose.

I liked KZ2 quite a lot. It had a good weighty feeling to it, personally enjoyed it more than the Halo games I've played. KZ3 was pretty meh though.

Ora

Banned
SP of Shadow Fall was pretty bad. MP is really enjoyable. No auto aim is great! So fun to outplay those who are used to relying on it. Too bad my PS4 shit the bed :___(

Raonak

Banned
Because GG are a very technically talented studio. KZ2/3/SF look amazing. They just need to use their skills on something that isn't as generic.

sflufan

Banned
I'm having grave difficulty completing Shadow Fall's campaign due to how absolutely profoundly mediocre it is...and I haven't even gotten to the levels that just outright suck yet! The campaign isn't terrible like the BF4 campaign - it's just dull.

Also, I used to call Battlefield 3 "Can't See Shit: The Game" but that title now firmly belongs to Shadow Fall. I constantly feel as if I'm fighting the game's ridiculously overdone lighting effects more than the Helghast.

I haven't played much of but SF single player is sooo dumb. Multiplayer still hasn't gotten back to 2 level either. I guess you could see why they wouldn't give up on the biggest genre going though.

Felsparrow

Neo Member
All GG needs is a decent writer and director with enough power to make decisions stick.

No more of the crappy writing seen in games like crysis. We're hitting a point where is at style can't save it, and the only reason I bought it was as a tech showcase for the ps4.

Also stop chasing CoD.

Top Bottom