• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How the hell Killzone survived 10 years is beyond me

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
they need a halo fighter

pUAjKaM.jpg

PBY

Banned
Half of it is one of the best FPS of the past few years and the other half is just meh. I don't see how people hate it so much unless you're one of the people that doesn't seem to understand how to play it.
It's my fault that I didn't get it's brilliance?

It's reactionary to a fault, agreed. It's essentially Sonys reaction to the success of the bigger and better console shooter, Halo. Both series have gotten worse over time, but at least one was innovative. As you say, there is nothing KZ does that others games don't do better (excepting the Vita version, which really is something else).

kadotsu

Banned
It's sad that the FPS continued so long (Mercenaries is good though) but the superior Liberation type game was never followed up on. With more tactical options a sequel would have been something special.

vpance

Take GG's most talented tech guys, add some competent designers and writers and go work on a new franchise, permanently. Let some B team handle Killzone from now on. I sincerely hope that's what they're doing.

rdrr gnr

Me too. It feels perfunctory. It's a mediocre IP from a mediocre studio. You can see the excuse making in action when you hear things like "Well, it's not supposed to revolutionize the genre." Killzone is a AAA franchise from a huge publisher. It's supposed to compete and it can't even do that. Whatever sense of identity 2's MP had is gone completely in SF. SF is a by-the-numbers ADS shooter. The SP is always been unremarkable and is the worst so far in SF. Is there anyone who would want another KZ over the potential of a new IP?

Broank

I've only played the first PS2 game and 2 but the problem for me is the dialog was just plain atrocious and took me out of the experience. How one person, let alone a bunch of people could listen to it and think it was acceptable I don't understand.

It's too bad Sony didn't put all the budget, time and advertising into something like Resistance instead of Killzone. Would be interesting to see.

I absolutely adore Killzone 2, hated Killzone 3, and like Shadow Fall's multiplayer.

The franchise was at its peak at 2 and even then, the multiplayer could not manage to secure a proper foothold in terms of becoming significantly popular. It's really unfortunate, because after that, GG just blew it with number 3.

If I'm not mistaken, the way they coded Killzone 2 made it very difficult for them to make patches to the game (*I THINK*)

Unfortunately, I think Killzone 2's multiplayer suffered from some very obvious issues. Not even going to mention the controls, which I actually didn't mind, but it clearly contributed to people turning away:

-No proper party system
-No co-op
-The multiplayer was just a clusterfuck, thanks to indestructible spawn grenades and chaos: ridiculous that people could spawn with 3 grenades, for example. Just made multiplayer a headache. Shadow Fall's spawns fixes the flow of matches a whole lot. Such a shame we couldn't see this with KZ2

If GG just patched in destructible spawns, I feel like the game would have flowed much better, giving players breathing room to learn the game. But it was very common to see shitloads of Radec Academy spawnfest camp-grenade extravaganzas. Totally nonsense.

I am definitely fatigued of the franchise at this point, but still like GG and hope their next IP allows for some creativity. I will always love Killzone 2, but I doubt GG will ever pull a game with that kind of awesome atmosphere, art direction, and feel.

duxstar

How the hell did Battlefield 4 survive as a series they haven't done anything new in years, its just a call of duty clone mixed with the ok parts of Red factions destructible environments. All the cool weapons are hidden behind tons of grinding, and until then your stuck at a disadvantage to the other people who play for 100 hours in the first 3 days All it does is try to copy Call of Duty and fails at that.........

See it works both ways; its called tastes

scoobs

i can't imagine sony is super happy with how Shadow Fall turned out. What a stinker. If their next game is anywhere near as awful as KZ:SF, I imagine Sony will have to shake things up somehow

Gartooth

I've had limited play time with the game, and I intend to go back and play it some more over the holiday, but yes the single player is hot garbage. I'm halfway through and not sure if I want to continue. It wasn't bad per say, but just entirely lackluster and boring. They tried to make the open ended design of old FPS games but the game falls on its face completely in that regard.

As far as the multiplayer, maybe I just need to play it more to form more of an opinion but I had a ton of fun with it from my limited playtime.

Any franchise that has survived this long without a break in between have contributed to the genre or gaming in general but Killzone is just something else. Guerrilla are very lucky that Sony just don't give a fuck and spend money on first party like its nothing. Any other publisher and the IP would have been recognised as the crap it is long ago. It's such a reactionary franchise that doesn't do one thing better than other FPS games out there.

I understand Guerilla are working on a new IP and I really hope they can prove their worth. And seriously end this dumb ass Space Nazi franchise. It's getting worse with every entry either critically or with fan reception. Step up and do your job Shu. It's clear Sony doesn't have pedigree with FPS so leave the genre alone and bring back shit you know.

Do you think Guerrilla have been worth the purchase?

They're like Naughty Dogs (wizards with the hardware) without the narrative prowess, so... yeah.

Caronte

I don't have a problem with Killzone but Sony should have let them make something different a few years ago. I don't think the franchise helps the consoles in any way when there's just too many FPS already.

Skyrim

Banned
I believe CliffyB mentioned about this during a Giantbomb E3 talks

Paraphrase: That other shooter that just needs to be there because other console has a space shooter

ascii42

How is it generating profit for Sony? and considering how much effort goes into making a Killzone game, is it really worth it? Sony has killer game franchise now, such as infamous, Uncharted, LBP, TLOU...and Killzone isn't even selling that well, infact the sales have declined for KZ3 compare to KZ2.

How much did Killzone 3 sell? I think it was still decent.

Sony has many other series, but no other internally developed FSP games. I'm sure it's easy for Sony to justify having an exclusive FPS game.

Doran902

Being the best FPS campaign in years isn't saying much, considering we get crap from the genre on a constant basis.

Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, Halo 4, Metro Last Light, Bulletstorm and arguably Killzone 3 were all better fps campaigns.

Hell I liked Black Ops 2 more and Resistance 3. These all came out in the last 2-3 years and I'm sure there are more.

There have been some amazing fps in the last few years.

Dolobill

Agreed, OP. Shadowfall is the first Killzone I finished and I honestly think it's junk. I get the feeling that every Killzone game to be announced tends to be way over-anticipated, never living up to the hype. It started with the first Killzone as the proclaimed "Halo Killer," what a joke. It's like the success of the franchise is based on false hopes and dreams.

It's reactionary to a fault, agreed. It's essentially Sonys reaction to the success of the bigger and better console shooter, Halo. Both series have gotten worse over time, but at least one was innovative. As you say, there is nothing KZ does that others games don't do better (excepting the Vita version, which really is something else).

I can't name a better MP game at launch. I prefer MP that prioritizes teamwork, gunplay, and has diversity in its modes.

Killzone has rotating objectives that's awesome and not really done better anywhere else.

Killzone 2 was one of the best MP games of last-gen and Killzone: Shadow Fall is even better.

Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, Halo 4, Metro Last Light, Bulletstorm and arguably Killzone 3 were all better fps campaigns.

Hell I liked Black Ops 2 more and Resistance 3. These all came out in the last 2-3 years and I'm sure there are more.

There have been some amazing fps in the last few years.

I disagree with the vast majority of your list, opinions and all of that but most of those games weren't as good as Killzone: SF's single player.

IN&OUT

Banned
Please tell me you are fucking joking. If it wasn't for Forza, GT would have never stepped their game up for online play. Forza series has been class with each installment. Forza 4 is filled with ton of quality content and Forza Horizon is a mixture of NFS and Forza. Haven't played F5 yet so can't comment on that but reviews are positive.

Online is natural progression of the industry, GT has been a God-tier franchise almost a decade before Xbox even created. GT could've been influenced by any online game, hell they might have been influenced by warhawk or any game.

Forza is there because there is no flagship racer for Xbox, the same thing with KZ, it's there because no flagship shooter on playstation.

KORNdoggy

Personally i think it's a great series, one of the better of the FPS genre in fact. In terms of the pure act and feel of shooting, the only games that i think are it's equel is battlefield and F.E.A.R (first only). COD feels wimpy, halo feels old, resistence feels confused...it might not win awards for writting, but what FPS does...lol?

People seem to be ragging on shadow fall quite a lot, but i think it's the best the series has ever been, with much more considered pacing akin to half life, less constant COD action. I really enjoyed it, both as a graphical showpeice, and as an actual game.

Trojan X

Banned
How is it generating profit for Sony? and considering how much effort goes into making a Killzone game, is it really worth it? Sony has killer game franchise now, such as infamous, Uncharted, LBP, TLOU...and Killzone isn't even selling that well, infact the sales have declined for KZ3 compare to KZ2.

I may be wrong for saying "profit" as I have no idea how the net of the game has been after the development/project cost and sales, but it may be safe to consider that the game has been profitable in consideration the sales of the game according to vg chartz website. I know this website is not accurate, but as the only resource to find video game sales info (unless you can provide another more accurate source), please take a look at the info on vg chartz website and search for killzone (actual website link seems to be taboo here for some reason http://www.********.com/gamedb/?name=killzone).

So has there been a decline in sales? According to the website that appears to be the case. However, the sales decline doesn't appear to be significant to suggest that the game should be killed off, despite how much the entire franchise bores me.

Do you understand?

Killzone 2 and 3 are legitimately good games. I have Killzone: Shadow Fall, but I have not played it yet and I will probably refrain from playing the original in the foreseeable future.

Kade

How the hell did Battlefield 4 survive as a series they haven't done anything new in years, its just a call of duty clone mixed with the ok parts of Red factions destructible environments. All the cool weapons are hidden behind tons of grinding, and until then your stuck at a disadvantage to the other people who play for 100 hours in the first 3 days All it does is try to copy Call of Duty and fails at that.........

See it works both ways; its called tastes

Battlefield's existence and its use of a progression system both pre-dated Call of Duty. The starting weapons and first few unlocks are just as useful as the later unlocks as well. That's not taste; that's being factually incorrect and reductionist to justify your tastes.

Crisium

KZ2 was amazing all around, besides the laggy controls.

KZ3 was fun because of the Move support. If you never played KZ3 with Move, you never played KZ3. It still stands as the best use of Wiimote / Move for FPS I have played. The single player is still meh, and the online still has glitchy levels and questionable balance. But Move allows you to step around these issues. It's just damn fun.

maneil99

Me too. It feels perfunctory. It's a mediocre IP from a mediocre studio. You can see the excuse making in action when you hear things like "Well, it's not supposed to revolutionize the genre." Killzone is a AAA franchise from a huge publisher. It's supposed to compete and it can't even do that. Whatever sense of identity 2's MP had is gone completely in SF. SF is a by-the-numbers ADS shooter. The SP is always been unremarkable and is the worst so far in SF. Is there anyone who would want another KZ over the potential of a new IP?
So you haven't played SF's multiplayer...

Any franchise that has survived this long without a break in between have contributed to the genre or gaming in general but Killzone is just something else. Guerrilla are very lucky that Sony just don't give a fuck and spend money on first party like its nothing. Any other publisher and the IP would have been recognised as the crap it is long ago. It's such a reactionary franchise that doesn't do one thing better than other FPS games out there.

I understand Guerilla are working on a new IP and I really hope they can prove their worth. And seriously end this dumb ass Space Nazi franchise. It's getting worse with every entry either critically or with fan reception. Step up and do your job Shu. It's clear Sony doesn't have pedigree with FPS so leave the genre alone and bring back shit you know.

Do you think Guerrilla have been worth the purchase?

Why do people like things I don't like?!

rdrr gnr

The single player in SF is better than Crysis 2's single player.
Being better than one of the worst FPS campaigns this generation is not an accomplishment. Are you going to tell me it's better than Warfighter and BF3, as well? Anything "better" than Crytek that isn't technology is assumed true for every other studio.
So you haven't played SF's multiplayer...
I have played it. Thoroughly. Feel free to ask for a PM if you want proof.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's my fault that I didn't get it's brilliance?

More that you probably didn't explore the tactical options enough. I've never witnessed a game where a lot of people missed some very basic tactics that are necessary for enjoyment as Shadow Fall. It may be GG's fault that it wasn't clear enough but I think that once the play style clicks, hating it just seems nuts. I'm not saying that the game is excellent through and through, it's not. Several parts reek of launch rush but the parts that are good are very good.

wonzo

Banned
Sony just needs to make GG a middleware developer and get people that actually know how to design a good game use their engine.

sense

Does the op really think sony is throwing money at a franchise if it is losing them money? They obviously would like it to be in the range of uncharted or god of war but the game does sell close to couple of million which is pretty good considering it is exclusive. It was a solid launch title and most likely going to be the best selling next gen exclusive so maybe the op needs to move on if he doesn't like something like me (as I never really got into the franchise but has its hardcore fanbase especially in mp ) instead of whining.

Shadow Fall is my first killzone and I'm struggling to see what any of the fuss is about. And I enjoyed pretty much every Halo game (then again, those all had co-op. Even bloody Perfect Dark Zero managed off- and online co-op, and 32 player multi with vehicles).

Top Bottom