• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ Early Access Thread - We dont go to Stary Sobor

NH Apache

Banned
So I had an epiphany and realized that I could drink from the water spigot directly in every town. I can drink straight for like 10 minutes and never get full on water.

Am I supposed to get a message saying my stomach is full?

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
welp just got a new videocard and bought/installed DayZ, after the obligatory new-gpu running of Crysis (god damn that game still looks good, considering its age).

So I'll probably be back with more informed "how do i _____" questions after going over some tutorial stuff, but right off the bat I gotta ask: does the mouselook feel weird to anybody else? It's not necessarily laggy per se, but it's definetly...like...floaty or something. even after bumping down my new pc master race settings to normal.

redfirm

Banned
welp just got a new videocard and bought/installed DayZ, after the obligatory new-gpu running of Crysis (god damn that game still looks good, considering its age).

So I'll probably be back with more informed "how do i _____" questions after going over some tutorial stuff, but right off the bat I gotta ask: does the mouselook feel weird to anybody else? It's not necessarily laggy per se, but it's definetly...like...floaty or something. even after bumping down my new pc master race settings to normal.

yes, the mouse is different

Sen²

So I had an epiphany and realized that I could drink from the water spigot directly in every town. I can drink straight for like 10 minutes and never get full on water.

I think drinking a lot is supposed to result in the "full stomach" message but I don't get it either.

I find this attitude lazy. I played the mod for 16 months and yes, killing on sight was already rife when I started. But turning to it yourself is not the only option available - it's just the easiest one. You can evade people. You can explore and loot the entire map, staying unseen and observing others. You can stalk and kill selected targets who deserve it (rooftop snipers, fresh spawn killers etc). You can also interact with people while ensuring you maintain the upper hand if it goes wrong. For me, the KoS epidemic made it a much more intense and fun survival game, and it makes the occasional good interactions all the more rewarding.

You're not killing on sight because the community made you do it. You're doing it because you want to shoot people.

I agree with your first paragraph but I absolutely don't want to shoot people. It's just that if I'm aiming my gun at you telling you to surrender and you turn around and aim your gun at me I'm going to shoot. And asking if people are friendly never work. Your right, from now on I'm going to stalk people I see and then make a decision.

Grief.exe

You can turn off mouse acceleration and mouse smoothing in the menu, but the options don't work yet. They are going to push out a quick fix for that.

I go back to BF4 and my aim is all screwed up for a round or two.

Working my way through the NW airfield. Was already pretty well geared up, but now I look like a real badass.

xxuha.jpg

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Never played dayz before stand alone but after a few lives figuring stuff out. Best advice would be keep swapping servers till us get a daylight one. Pass by any towns where doors are open and head inland. Try to hit a water pump before setting out as well.

Once u get inland a bit towns are not picked over as much. Fire fighter axe will keep zombies at bay, fount a ton of them inland. Bit harder to find guns. Ended up getting a few at a ship wreck, most military bases will be picked over.

Fount people up north are not as trigger happy, even met a group that could have killed me easy, they just let me go cause to took so long to get up there.

redfirm

Banned
ok, so everyone feels it? and it doesn't ruin the game at all (I find sometimes games w/ weird mouse acceleration stuff to be unplayable)? just something i'll get used to in dayz?

turn mouse acceleration off. u get used to it, its weird in the beginning. but trust me, tweak it and your good to god

redfirm

Banned
Never played dayz before stand alone but after a few lives figuring stuff out. Best advice would be keep swapping servers till us get a daylight one. Pass by any towns where doors are open and head inland. Try to hit a water pump before setting out as well.

Once u get inland a bit towns are not picked over as much. Fire fighter axe will keep zombies at bay, fount a ton of them inland. Bit harder to find guns. Ended up getting a few at a ship wreck, most military bases will be picked over.

Fount people up north are not as trigger happy, even met a group that could have killed me easy, they just let me go cause to took so long to get up there.

trust me, i've been playing dayz for years...you will get shot, dont trust people and try to stay out of their way. if you have a gun and you are going to shoot, make sure you are going to hit,otherwise expect to die

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
trust me, i've been playing dayz for years...you will get shot, dont trust people and try to stay out of their way. if you have a gun and you are going to shoot, make sure you are going to hit,otherwise expect to die

Yeah I don't trust anyone just this group of 3 got the drop on me in an open field, could have killed me easy. Guy just told me to not draw my gun and if I keep going my way they would let me go, took to long for all of us to get there just to have a shoot out. Maybe they didn't have ammo? Who knows?

Sure as hell beats spawning areas were ever asshole with a wrench comes after ya.

CoolS

Been wondering this as well

Grief.exe

I thought it was supposed to say something, that system is obviously disabled at the moment. You should be able to get full on food though.

RyanDG

For those interested in such things, I don't believe the mosin is going to be an effective sniping tool above 500 meters. It may take some additional practice, but the bullet wander on the gun is incredibly inaccurate above that point, to the effect that it is essentially a crap shoot. From all of the "target" practice I had last night, from long range (600+), I've found that it is completely unpredictable as to just where in the diameter of about 10 meters, will the bullet actually impact. This may be a design choice to prevent too many distance snipers in the alpha, but it is something to keep in mind.

I did have a couple of good shots on moving targets, but generally, I think that's going to be the exception rather than the norm.

Skerj

It tells you that your stomach is full and if you drink too much past THAT, you'll get another notification that you're going to be sick and vomit. Then you're in a world of shit if you don't have food since you go into starvation status in addition to being sick. I died this way 2 days ago, scrambling around trying to find food or a can opener.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Thanks for your response MickeyKnox. I have to say I agree that the mod was a far more enjoyable experience than the standalone is currently.

I have to say I dont agree with Hylian7's well written post about why the mod got worse over time.
(using your numbering system to reply with a precis of what you said)
1. Everyone figured out where loot was which diminished the pleasure - I think the opposite experience. For me games which you play for a substantial period of time need to allow you to get better at the game by learning its patterns or structures. Dayz mod had loot which spawned of certain types at certain locations. It was enjoyable to learn where these locations were and memorise routes to get to places allowing learning of the map. The standalone is no different in this regard except currently dramatically less loot combined with an influx of new players who dont know how the loot system works. This in essence gives long term players an advantage to dominate new players for a period of time. This however will be brief and unless something changes it will simply be a slowly dropping version of the current system.

5. Hive servers (and the hive system) is good, non hive is bad - I think the hive system is the flaw with dayz ( as it was with warz which had the same system). When you have loot that saves globally, but each individual server has loot of its own the game is pushing players towards server hopping to get loot. Stated differently , go to a barracks loot it, change server loot again, repeat until fully kitted out.
Non-hive servers defeat this problem. The standalone can time limit server hopping, but it is very difficult to shut down if you want to allow a hive system.

5a. Online servers had stupid gameplay settings that ruined the fun. Again I found the opposite to be true. When server administrators can alter the gameplay settings it means there are so many different servers where you can find a gameplay that suits you. For me I loved playing on a hardcore server, with 1st person only. When the Dayz mod came out and rocket asked for people to stop modding dayz to make a dayz single player he demonstrated a desire for total control over the gameplay experience of dayz. Truth be told I find many of his mechanics dull and tedious. The new sickness mechanics look like a lot of idle busywork, when I would rather be exploring and fighting. Allowing server admins to set there own settings allow a variance in the experience to match all preferences.

6. Zombies are better in the standalone - I dont think this can be seen yet as there are almost no zombies anywhere. Its like a zombie apocalypse where the zombies haven't yet been invited.

I still think, outside of greater spawn diversity and loot balancing, that the best way to combat serving hopping in all forms, loot hopping and ghosting, is to randomize player locations upon entering a new server. Go from Server A to Server B and you'll end up in some random location X miles around your previously logged position. So say you leave Server A inside the NW Airfields southern barracks, when you enter Server B your character instead spawns in western Vybor or southern Kabanino. You are still in the vicinity of where you left Server A, but not that exact position.

If you wish to go and loot those southern barracks in the NW airfield again you'll have to run there and expose yourself to the dangers that may be lurking, you can't just load into the building, raid it and jump to another server and do it all over again with minimal exposure and time. You have to work for it each and every time.

I think the whole time out or player death, or whatever monitoring system they have in place, or are looking to implement, right now will be too easily gamed. People will figure out how many times they can server hop in however much time, do that then wait whatever cooldown period there may be and start it up again.

As for the Hive itself, without the Hive the game cannot function as it does. If you want your character to be able to go to any server you need the Hive and shared economy, if you want individual servers that allow lots of Admin tweaking then characters will need to be locked to the server. Otherwise you'll have people going to servers with jacked up loot spawns and gearing up there and then jumping to standard low spawn servers and flood the whole system with their highend gear. Not only that but it would only increase server hopping since people will want to hoard high end items. They'll still hope from server to server in the barracks and take all the good shit and go stash it somewhere in the event they die they can just kit up with minimal effort.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
is there a list of what is/isn't in stand alone vs the mod?

Right now SA is missing the gun variety(there's only 4 guns), zombies(there are only 4 zombies), vehicles, animals(there are invincible zombie bunnies), cooking, barbwire, sandbags, temperature, that's about it from the mod.

Meanwhile SA has a decent amount of item crafting, though most still not implemented, greater variety of clothing and equipment, greater variety of food and drink and other items, better inventory system, weapon modding, a much more interactive and interesting world map and there are lot more status affects for the player based on hunger and overall health, though that system as well is not fully implemented.

Top Bottom