• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ Early Access Thread - We dont go to Stary Sobor

Got into a firefight just now. After forcing some asshole taking potshots at me from behind into cover which was very dramatic, I think I must have been flanked by the guy's friend or something.

In any case, I got hit twice and barely survived; must have been right on the verge of death, seeing as the screen was almost completely grey.

What's insane is that those two bullets destroyed pretty much everything I had, from pristine condition. Clothing, vest, backpack, and almost everything within, which is just stupid. Are those bullets actually homing missiles that seek out items?

Something needs to change there.

eot

Banned
Got into a firefight just now. After forcing some asshole taking potshots at me from behind into cover which was very dramatic, I think I must have been flanked by the guy's friend or something.

In any case, I got hit twice and barely survived; must have been right on the verge of death, seeing as the screen was almost completely grey.

What's insane is that those two bullets destroyed pretty much everything I had, from pristine condition. Clothing, vest, backpack, and almost everything within, which is just stupid. Are those bullets actually homing missiles that seek out items?

Something needs to change there.

It's there as a disincentive to shoot people, as their loot will get ruined. I think it's good.

Longshot

Finally got some decent gear and a Mosin, where does the ammo spawn? I work night shift and the server was pretty much empty, fairly sure I raided Cherno/Elektro by myself.

Grief.exe

Finally got some decent gear and a Mosin, where does the ammo spawn? I work night shift and the server was pretty much empty, fairly sure I raided Cherno/Elektro by myself.

They are hard to see. I generally bring up the inventory for a vicinity check on any area that I know spawns loot.

cebri.one

So my character is making weird noises, like if he was in pain. I'm not getting any status messages. Any clue of what's happening to him?

Grief.exe

So my character is making weird noises, like if he was in pain. I'm not getting any status messages. Any clue of what's happening to him?

He's probably low on Blood/Health.

I get that all the time when I can't find an axe for a while and zombies slowly whittle me down. Sounds like my character is having sex at times. I wonder if other players can hear those noises, would be interesting for PVP interactions.

It's there as a disincentive to shoot people, as their loot will get ruined. I think it's good.

I agree with the reasoning for the system, it's the balance. Two bullets should not destroy 3 items of clothing, a backpack, and most items within, many in perfect condition.

Hambone

I was going to get the ArmaIII mod DayZ, but once I heard the stand-alone was in the works, I waited. This is my first experience with the game.

So far, I love it. Oozes atmosphere. Gets a little demoralizing when you finally find decent gear to have a player killer put an axe to your face for no reason. I was just scrounging a house, and this dude runs in and kills me. After that, I quit the game and was seriously evaluating if this game is for me, when I decided to give it one more go and this happened...

I spawned back into the game along the coast with nothing but the clothes on my back, and a flashlight in my pocket. I noticed a warehouse up ahead, a small train station, and some houses not to far past that.

Made my way to the warehouse first. Nothing in there but a brown beenie. Better than nothing I suppose. I put the cover on my head, and proceeded past the train tracks and station to the houses up the road. Spent some time skulking from house to house finding absolutely nothing, until I found a kitchen with a fresh apple and banana. Ate the apple, and put the banana in my pants. Found a few more houses and shacks up the road to search, but still nothing. A lot of the doors were opened when I got there, so I assumed that someone had already searched the houses.

By now the "you're feeling thirsty" warning is popping up on me repeatedly. I've never found water playing, so I don't really know where to look. While I'm pondering what I'm going to do, another player emerges from the bushes. He has a helmet on, an axe on his back, and holding an assault rifle. I think we both startled each other as he back up a bit. I immediately raised my hands up to show I'm no threat.

I figured he was going to kill me, so I decided to have some fun with it. I went into chat and proclaimed that I was dying of thirst, and needed help. He just looked me up and down and started to run off. I think I felt insulted that he didn't kill me, so I took off after him following him up the road begging for help. He would occasionally look over his shoulder to see if I was still following him, and sure enough I was there shouting for water, and moaning how thirsty I was.

After about five minutes of following this guy, he headed to another group houses, stopped and looked at me, and moved between the buildings. I made it to the point where I last saw him, and figured he went into hiding to lose me. I stood there bemoaning how thirsty I am, and just want help. After a bit of searching, I found the anonymous stranger across the street, standing close to a brick wall, with his rifle pointing at me. He took a knee, got up again, and left. I stood there explaining that all I want is some water, when he came around the corner again, took a knee, got up and left. That's when I saw it.

There was something in the spot next to his feet where he took a knee. I ran over and noticed it was a water pump. Sweet water of life!

Thank you anonymous friend. I will pay it forward.

We should start a steam group or something for lone wolves to get together with other gaffers.

We got a small group going over here, your welcome to join us. There's only 3-4 of us, and I have a buddy who will be joining next week. I have a TeamSpeak server as well. Steam ID: Busta_SMurk or Busta SMurk, I forget.

Same goes for anyone else, just a group of lone wolves, grouping up, picking a server and playing it out.

We got a small group going over here, your welcome to join us. There's only 3-4 of us, and I have a buddy who will be joining next week. I have a TeamSpeak server as well. Steam ID: Busta_SMurk or Busta SMurk, I forget.

Same goes for anyone else, just a group of lone wolves, grouping up, picking a server and playing it out.

Might be joining you guys soon when I pick up the game in the next few days.

I have the FNX45 with no mag but I found a bunch of .45 ACP rounds. Shouldn't I be able to chamber a round? Cause I can't seem to do that :/

SynthetiCTS

Neo Member
Wow, this game really brings out how trusting of others I am in real life. After about 10 random deaths from various sources, falling, starving, yet mainly bandits I am having a hard time trusting anyone I come across in this game. I have all intentions of being friendly, yet nearly every encounter turns into a massive shit-storm.

Currently I have no buddies that play this game. Therefore, I have had to lone-wolf all of my playthroughs. I would really like to join in with a group of people from gaf to have some fun. I have made my way to Berezino and the Northeast airfield which has been near desolate with activity. Plus, theres a sweet ass ship on the east coast. If anyone is open to welcome a lone-wolf into the fray it would be greatly appreciated.

My Steam user name is : Synthetic
http://steamcommunity.com/id/syntheticts

Happy Surviving

Wow, this game really brings out how trusting of others I am in real life. After about 10 random deaths from various sources, falling, starving, yet mainly bandits I am having a hard time trusting anyone I come across in this game. I have all intentions of being friendly, yet nearly every encounter turns into a massive shit-storm.

Currently I have no buddies that play this game. Therefore, I have had to lone-wolf all of my playthroughs. I would really like to join in with a group of people from gaf to have some fun. I have made my way to Berezino and the Northeast airfield which has been near desolate with activity. Plus, theres a sweet ass ship on the east coast. If anyone is open to welcome a lone-wolf into the fray it would be greatly appreciated.

My Steam user name is : Synthetic
http://steamcommunity.com/id/syntheticts

Happy Surviving

Yeah I see you addded me on Steam! Sick!

Again, feel free to add me guys, I'll give you my TeamSpeak info. Also, joining the GAF group on steam, there's a number of use who try to group up from there.

I have the perfect first mission: "Save Busta!"

I'm located in Cherno, I had to come back from Stary. I need supplies, BAD. I have an M4, with 3 mags, which is a heck of a lot harder to find than some beans and some freaking water, yet I'm about to die!!!

SAVE ME!

Steam ID: Busta_SMurk, or Busta SMurk

Ianan

What kind of mag goes into the M4? I have literally found about 4-5 different full mags, neither of which I can load in.

Yeah I definitely have magazines, do you load it the same way as the Mosin? Just right clikc and load ammo?

Magazine has to out of the M4 and in your inventory to load the ammo into it, then you attach the magazine to the weapon

If you still can't do it, take a quick screenshot of your inventory and post it

twisted89

Took about 5 lives but finally have a character with some weapons and doesn't have one foot in the grave

Total noob to this game but if it helps anyone I found an M4 rifle and 2 full mags at some big red/white radio tower thing.

I take it these are the same caliber?

jbuygNGFeFYZjC.png

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I take it these are the same caliber?

jbuygNGFeFYZjC.png

Yes.

Ladders are out to get me. Just died because of one again. Lost 300+ rounds of ammo for an M4 again haha. I was at balota, and was actually about to start shooting people. Some guy comes out of the building with an axe, but I didn't shoot him. Even gave him my fn45 with an optic and 2 magazines + extra bullets. He couldn't see my typing after I died so hopefully he eventually found my body and will make use of everything I had.

I should have taken a screenshot, but my character's screen has been so desaturated now that the game basically looks like MadWorld for Wii. Black and a light shade of grey. I have no idea what the deal is. I don't get status updates on my inventory screen anymore, nor text updates in the chat window. I've eaten and drank tons and it's not improving. Daytime is slightly less worse, but the game has been like this since yesterday. My blood should absolutely be regenerating right now.

Yes.

Ladders are out to get me. Just died because of one again. Lost 300+ rounds of ammo for an M4 again haha. I was at balota, and was actually about to start shooting people. Some guy comes out of the building with an axe, but I didn't shoot him. Even gave him my fn45 with an optic and 2 magazines + extra bullets. He couldn't see my typing after I died so hopefully he eventually found my body and will make use of everything I had.

I just died on one of the ladders at Balota too, I pressed the button to climb down the ladder and my guy put his weapon away and promptly sprinted off the roof :/ my corpse was stuck on an unreachable area too.

I should have taken a screenshot, but my character's screen has been so desaturated now that the game basically looks like MadWorld for Wii. Black and a light shade of grey. I have no idea what the deal is. I don't get status updates on my inventory screen anymore, nor text updates in the chat window. I've eaten and drank tons and it's not improving. Daytime is slightly less worse, but the game has been like this since yesterday. My blood should absolutely be regenerating right now.

I think you only regen if it says "healthy" in your inventory. I had to eat and drink a lot for that to appear.

Varna

I can see why most people shoot first. I was looting an airfield and I found an M4 and a decent amount of ammo. So naturally after finding this gun I feel like I am one second away from death. So I'm rushing out of the place and as a turn a corner I see a guy approaching... just shot him instantly. Felt crappy about it. He didn't have his gun drawn or anything.

His body glitched out too. I saw searching his gear (he had a ton of stuff) but he suddenly vanished.

elseanio

Damn, just randomly got a "you are dead" message :( My status was "healthy", was just upstairs in a house.

Was having fun with this:

7Hnv0q8.png

r0xmat

Neo Member
Reading through this thread I am curious how many people played the Dayz mod for a significant amount of time and are now playing the standalone? And how you find it in comparison?

Finally got into the game and got to play for like an hour. It's pretty damn rough right now and the performance is dog shit. I hope they keep improving that cos there aren't even any zombies loading in yet

Oreoleo

His body glitched out too. I saw searching his gear (he had a ton of stuff) but he suddenly vanished.

He was probably not actually dead, only unconscious and logged off before he bled out so there would be no body left behind to loot. Or did they fix that?

Ianan

Magazine has to out of the M4 and in your inventory to load the ammo into it, then you attach the magazine to the weapon

If you still can't do it, take a quick screenshot of your inventory and post it

Managed to sort it, I think it was because I had a bullet chambered.

I'm so damn geared now guys, all sorts attached to the M4, tons of ammo, full green camo gear, lots of food + drink, mostly pristine gear. I can't decide if I prefer the M4 or Mosin with Long range scope though.

eot

Banned
Not as good as the mod was during the same time frame of release

I also agree with this. The stuff that's in right now is better than it was in the mod, but there's not enough for it all to come together. Just the fact that loot isn't respawning kind of breaks the game in my opinion. Plus, when you've geared up there's not much to do, there's no gear progression the way there was in DayZ mod. There you'd start off with a shitty pistol, maybe get a loud as hell Enfield or AKM, if you got north and hunted heli spawns you could get a DMR etc. For me at least, that gear progression was a very large part of what I enjoyed about the game. I also think tents need to be very high up on their list of things to add, just to give you something to do when you're out of immediate danger.

IMACOMPUTA

I completely agree.

I also agree with this. The stuff that's in right now is better than it was in the mod, but there's not enough for it all to come together. Just the fact that loot isn't respawning kind of breaks the game in my opinion. Plus, when you've geared up there's not much to do, there's no gear progression the way there was in DayZ mod. There you'd start off with a shitty pistol, maybe get a loud as hell Enfield or AKM, if you got north and hunted heli spawns you could get a DMR etc. For me at least, that gear progression was a very large part of what I enjoyed about the game. I also think tents need to be very high up on their list of things to add, just to give you something to do when you're out of immediate danger.

Not as good as the mod was during the same time frame of release

Its an alpha? This falls in line with that pretty well.
Its a much more solid foundation for what's to come, and I'm having a blast with it.
I stopped playing DayZ mod when they first started talking about the standalone, so I'm sure that's affecting my opinion. But I'm having a ton of fun with it already.
It's good to be back.
I look forward to the frequent updates and feature additions.

P.S. Being able to handcuff people is the coolest thing.

jediyoshi

There you'd start off with a shitty pistol, maybe get a loud as hell Enfield or AKM, if you got north and hunted heli spawns you could get a DMR etc. For me at least, that gear progression was a very large part of what I enjoyed about the game. I also think tents need to be very high up on their list of things to add, just to give you something to do when you're out of immediate danger.

To be fair, if that was your last memory of it, you hopped off the DayZ train pretty early.

Grief.exe

P.S. Being able to handcuff people is the coolest thing.

After I meet up with the GAF group and help them out, I'm planning on heading back to the coast and handcuffing a new player.

I'm not going to rob them, I'll probably give them my pistol, some ammo, and food/water.

Top Bottom