• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ Early Access Thread - We dont go to Stary Sobor

So I had an epiphany and realized that I could drink from the water spigot directly in every town. I can drink straight for like 10 minutes and never get full on water.

Am I supposed to get a message saying my stomach is full?

Yes. It will take some time, but, you won't need water for quite a while after.

I'll join the DayZGAF group, Ace has joined with me as well.

This is a good idea for you lone wolves, join the group and we can pick people up.

Again, I have a TeamSpeak server, and have been organizing some groups the last couple days.

SO DO EEEEEETTTTT.

DogMeat77

Added a few people that have posted their ID's.

Anyone feel free to add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/gruntosuk/

I have set up a GAF group for the SA. I couldn't see one when I searched Steam or in OP.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dayzgaf

We already have a larger group if you'd like to join called GAFZ.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gafz

EDIT: I also joined the other group. What the hell. Always looking for people to play with. Busta, can you PM me your TS info? Sometimes mumble server is dead.

DogMeat77

So is this worth getting right now, or should I wait til it is further along in development? How rough is it?

If you liked the mod, it is probably worth it because you are used to the jank. If it is your first experience with DayZ, you might want to watch some streams first. I don't consider $30 very much money but some do.

Beepos

So I never played the mod despite buying it all but never got to try it.

I don;'' care about bugs, being killed over and over/swiped, but is there fun in any of this alpha in this sense.

I have a feeling I'd shoot anything moving on site, would I make a good $30 addition to to the journey.

If i never played the mod is the game super difficult to figure out.....

Gnub

Finally killed my first 3 players. Gunned them down with my M4. Would have killed more but only had 30 rounds.

I kill on sight now, I've literally been betrayed so many times and killed countless times by people even when I am clearly a noob and have nothing worth taking. I'm sorry if I killed you but the playerbase brought it upon themselves.

It's a survival game and I learned that other players weren't helping my survival so instead of trying the same thing over and over again I figured it's time to kill.

Humanity is lost.

DogMeat77

So I never played the mod despite buying it all but never got to try it.

I don;'' care about bugs, being killed over and over/swiped, but is there fun in any of this alpha in this sense.

I have a feeling I'd shoot anything moving on site, would I make a good $30 addition to to the journey.

If i never played the mod is the game super difficult to figure out.....

There is tons of fun to be had in the SA, especially if you meet up with some friends/gaffers. It generally doesn't take long for hilarity (or heartbreak) to ensue. I also like to play solo but it will get boring after awhile since the SA is still pretty feature limited. The fun is really in groups at the moment.

EDIT:
Just to be sure - I get the full game at launch when I buy this, right?
Yes

Hip Hop

So is this worth getting right now, or should I wait til it is further along in development? How rough is it?

I never played the mod and was waiting on standalone to purchase.

It's been a totally different experience for me, enough that I'd recommend it. It's not that there are a ton of bugs (From what I've played), it's just that the world is pretty much empty most of the time.
Very few zombies, very few loot. The few people that you do encounter makes it that much interesting to me though.

If you have some buddies with you to run with, go for it. If not, I guess you can wait till it's further along.

So I got this today and I love it. The only real issue I have is that it runs like crap on my hardware. Even with everything turned down to low/off I still get framedrops. I am running at my screen's resolution of 1600x900, I might try turning it down later to see if that helps.

I am running it on an AMD Phenom II x4 965BE (not OCed), Radeon HD 6870 1gb (not OCed), with 8gb of RAM on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. It is probably just my hardware showing its age, I was planning to upgrade before DA:I came out, but I may do it sooner.

I was going to go with an FX-8350 and an R9 280X.

So I got this today and I love it. The only real issue I have is that it runs like crap on my hardware. Even with everything turned down to low/off I still get framedrops. I am running at my screen's resolution of 1600x900, I might try turning it down later to see if that helps.

I am running it on an AMD Phenom II x4 965BE (not OCed), Radeon HD 6870 1gb (not OCed), with 8gb of RAM on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. It is probably just my hardware showing its age, I was planning to upgrade before DA:I came out, but I may do it sooner.

I was going to go with an FX-8350 and an R9 280X.

It runs like crap for everyone near towns or buildings, only in the wilderness or open fields can I get 60 fps.

Atomski

Literally in tears right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLqxXKAkqr0

I can't believe people let this happen to them/go along with it. Never let yourself be taken hostage. You must die with dignity.

I got my sister playing, she was taken hostage earlier today by 3 armed guys. They took most her valuables then asked if she was hungry, gave her some food and let her go.

Was pretty cool really :p. Wish I would have been near by to save her.

Vlodril

So you get atleast 50-60 everywhere? Must have a pretty good CPU then?

i get sub 20's in the city. trying to aim anything is hurting my eyes.. i have an ok to good gpu but my cpu is from 5-6 years ago unfortunately.

Also what is up with the 2d tree's? did i change something on the client or is it a standalone issue because i do not remember it on the mod. Half the trees are cardboards mostly on the peripheral vision.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I have a i7 920 oc'd to 3.3, 6 ram and a 3 gig 7950 and on mostly very high settings, no AA or FXAA or blur I get like 40/50s in the world and like 20-30 in cities.

zma1013

Sigh. Trying to login to my Steam through the website and I'm stuck because of god damned Captchas. Who the f#$% invented these stupid things? Forget about computer reading them, me, a real human being can't even tell what they say. They make them so stupidly screw up. Infuriating.

How do I find the GafZ community through the steam program?

NM, I found it.

Hip Hop

Sigh. Trying to login to my Steam through the website and I'm stuck because of god damned Captchas. Who the f#$% invented these stupid things? Forget about computer reading them, me, a real human being can't even tell what they say. They make them so stupidly screw up. Infuriating.

How do I find the GafZ community through the steam program?

YO.

that is exactly the thing I went through last time using that website. I didn't sign in after that.

They are seriously one of the worst captchas of all time.
I'm surprised there hasn't been a bigger noise about those things

isn't this game meant to be on island? Just ran for 3 hours north and this is all I see

The map is based on a real world location that's actually landlocked, here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vgYzMVI6Q0

Bonus:
http://imgur.com/a/dmXis

tlewqrzhn0snr.jpg

0m5m5lahn7szq.jpg

srlkqlvhirsh4.jpg

3eca88oh1tsjl.jpg

mylehzkhypsre.jpg

0ipo9u8hims08.jpg

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
So if someone robs you saying "get into prone and drop all your items or I'll shoot" is there any real reason to comply? Do you keep anything across characters besides gear? Seem like getting completely robbed and getting killed are identical.

First time playing, how do I turn on this flashlight?

lol, it's 'f'. you have to move the battery into it first and then also bring it up with spacebar once it's in your hand. This is my first day playin too.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
First time playing, how do I turn on this flashlight?

Drag and drop your nine volt battery onto the flashlight. Then drag on drop flashlight into your hand. Once on the play screen, your middle mouse button should give you prompts to turn it on and off.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
So if someone robs you saying "get into prone and drop all your items or I'll shoot" is there any real reason to comply? Do you keep anything across characters besides gear? Seem like getting completely robbed and getting killed are identical.

This is why I won't be getting robbed. I'll go down fighting and if they shoot at me, it gives a good chance of ruining the items on me anyways which will make them useless for the would be robbers.

I'd think that the only people complying would be people *really* attached to their character which in DAYZ......hahaha you probably shouldn't.

antonz

lol, it's 'f'. you have to move the battery into it first and then also bring it up with spacebar once it's in your hand. This is my first day playin too.

My experience has been better off just trying to fight. Complied once because I had a good deal of stuff. He took about half of it and just knocked me out. I woke up and he came back in and bitched that I woke up and killed me.

There's so very little loot everywhere I go. All I ever seem to find are shoes and pants

Fighting zombies is absolutely awful with melee weapons, there's no feedback from it or sense of actually hitting them. Plus they take forever to go down even with a fireman's axe

Met a guy in Elektro, I had nothing on me cos I just spawned it, he was armed to the teeth and still killed me lol I see nothing has changed

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

At the moment there's nothing to really incentivize complying, but as a captor you do have a very clear incentive to not harm your target because you'll destroy their stuff. Currently that doesnt mean much since most ruined gear or gear of any status doesn't mean anything right now, but once it does you'll have a clear and very important reason to no just shoot a target willy nilly. Knee capping and head shots will be very important if you want to actually take anything from them.

In terms of making players feel the need to surrender and comply that's a lot harder, they're going to lose their stuff no matter what so they might as well make the person fight for it and likely ruin it in the process.

If they really want to get players to care about their actual character and not just the gear on them they'll have to introduce some kind of character progression or identity to help attach players to the actual character. But the trouble is to make most people care would likely require a pretty robust system that has significant impact on the actual game, which many people don't want, and anything that is simply flavor like character backgrounds, ingame journals etc, won't be enough to sway the vast majority of players into actually caring about their character.

It may be in the future that when spawn diversity is increased and spawn ratios have been tweaked a lot, and most likely dialed down a lot, it will be in your interest to comply because starting completely fresh will much more of a bother than losing half or even 3/4 of your stuff. Then again that may work in just the opposite way because the robber may then be even more inclined to take everything you have since everything may be harder to come by.

Hickee

I just got taken hostage by 3 guys with in full military gear rifles and pistols, all had axes. took my shoes and force fed me rotten fruit and water whilst stealing all my low level gear, bandaged my wounds when I got sick from the fruit and said I was free to go.

Died obviously from the sickness but the only reason I let this happen was because I was with 2 others who had much better gear than me that were in the same town, they were coming over to help but these guys were pretty disciplined and had 2 covering the place pretty well whilst the other guy had his way with me so decided taking one for the team and letting my friends escape unnoticed was the better option.

It was pretty funny for the experience but next time I'm just going down swinging whilst telling the others to get out.

zma1013

So how does the voice work in this game? Do I have to push a button to talk or does it just pick it up from the mic I have? How big is the radius? Also, how to type?

zeox

So how does the voice work in this game? Do I have to push a button to talk or does it just pick it up from the mic I have? How big is the radius? Also, how to type?

caps lock is the default push-to-talk button (I think?). No idea how big the radius is.
type using the '/' key ('-' if you are non-us)

EVIL

I want IED's, put one in my pack so when some jackasses nab me, boom.

Honestly that would be the badassest thing, suicide vests. Like people strip you down, remove your coat and there it is in all its glory, rigged with a large timer counting down from 5 seconds to 0 giving them ample time to pray to their gods and shit their pants.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
There's so very little loot everywhere I go. All I ever seem to find are shoes and pants

Fighting zombies is absolutely awful with melee weapons, there's no feedback from it or sense of actually hitting them. Plus they take forever to go down even with a fireman's axe

Met a guy in Elektro, I had nothing on me cos I just spawned it, he was armed to the teeth and still killed me lol I see nothing has changed

Either of the axes kills a zombie in 1-2 hits. All of the other melee weapons are worthless, though.

Top Bottom