• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ Early Access Thread - We dont go to Stary Sobor

tatsuki

I read that you can attain healthy/healing status by using antibiotics or alcohol if you have been hit at all. I have to try that today.

I found antibiotics and it kept telling me "my founds are starting to look cleaner" Once that finished + food and water. I GOT MY COLOR BACK!!
inkTvnCxnrkBM.jpg
Goodbye greyscale.

Overdoziz

Banned
I read that you can attain healthy/healing status by using antibiotics or alcohol if you have been hit at all. I have to try that today.
I just ate and drank a bunch. If you balance and time it right you can keep doing so without constantly having a full stomach. Once it says 'healing' you start regenerating blood incredibly fast it seems like. Got all my color back really quickly.

Jay Fray

I just ate and drank a bunch. If you balance and time it right you can keep doing so without constantly having a full stomach. Once it says 'healing' you start regenerating blood incredibly fast it seems like. Got all my color back really quickly.

I knew something was off with the "drink as much as you can" logic when I went to eat and got the stuffed message again. So I guess you can fill up on water enough that you'll risk throwing up if you try to get your hunger up afterwards.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
I currently have the 'Sick' player status (I got hit by a zombie).
I have used alcohol to clean my wounds and got the message that my wounds hurt less.

Do I need to find and use antibiotics now to cure my 'Sick' status before I stuff myself with food and water to heal?

I currently have the 'Sick' player status (I got hit by a zombie).
I have used alcohol to clean my wounds and got the message that my wounds hurt less.

Do I need to find and use antibiotics now to cure my 'Sick' status before I stuff myself with food and water to heal?

I would think so, yes.

iMarkyP

Neo Member
Is anybody playing this on a MacBook via Bootcamp ?

On mine the mouse cursor doesn't move at all. Strange thing is if I click then the cursor will move to where I've clicked. Really odd.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
We were atop green mountain and I got killed (boo) during an ambush,

but before then, we were grouping up near Vybor and got a few fun screenies of ZenVolta in a couple cars:

4FE4CB065D880DD8588161F03550538A9420D5F5

5FBD89713E0E9840394F2DC7AEDCEF2B67F0A395

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Is there any correlation between number of players on the server and item spawn rate/quality? Seems like you'd always wanna play on a low-pop server when starting fresh.

For that matter, is there any reason not to game the spawn system if you're in a good building? Like just join, check for loot, quit, join another server, repeat?

Jay Fray

Is there any correlation between number of players on the server and item spawn rate/quality? Seems like you'd always wanna play on a low-pop server when starting fresh.

For that matter, is there any reason not to game the spawn system if you're in a good building? Like just join, check for loot, quit, join another server, repeat?

Loot spawns on server (re)start and doesn't respawn. Has nothing to do with player count.

zma1013

Part of the game is going around finding the loot while dodging groups of people and/or zombies. Joining low pop servers and server hopping to spawn loot seems like it would possibly ruin those aspects of the game. You just have to ask yourself if abusing a system is actually gaining you something or losing you something in the game. I wouldn't purposely do that, but in some instances, server hopping will happen whether you want it to or not, if the server crashes or everyone leaves or something like that.

Okay, against my better judgement, I bought this game on a whim.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck is it buggy and broken. I was really starting to regret the purchase - zombies warping through walls, crashes, atrocious mouse look, sloppy UI.....

But then something happens. You meet your first PC. A quick exchange of greetings and we go our separate ways. And you find some badass loot and you feel good - trekking off into the woods to the north, in search of more adventure.... It's all kinda surreal. I can see what this game is going for.

I suspect before too long this feeling will be replaced by more frustration - because the game is a long ways from being done - and I'll quit out of boredom. But I'm excited to see where this genre goes.

Like somebody said above, I'd really like to see a game like this done with a proper team and budget. Who knows, this game has been #1 on Steam for the entire week of Christmas sales, they have to be making some great initial investment. Hopefully it'll be put to good use.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Part of the game is going around finding the loot while dodging groups of people and/or zombies. Joining low pop servers and server hopping to spawn loot seems like it would possibly ruin those aspects of the game. You just have to ask yourself if abusing a system is actually gaining you something or losing you something in the game. I wouldn't purposely do that, but in some instances, server hopping will happen whether you want it to or not, if the server crashes or everyone leaves or something like that.

Oh I absolutely agree with you and haven't resorted to that...yet. But at the same time, if the software allows you to do it, it's fair game.

Another example of this is jacking up the gamma at night so you don't have to use a flashlight. Once someone in-game told me about this and I tried it out, it really felt like cheating. I really loved the tension of whether or not to use a flashlight or trying to sneak up on people in the dark. Since learning about the gamma "hack" though, I can't not use it. This definitely takes something away from the game, but really provides too much of an advantage to go back to flashlights.

zma1013

Oh I absolutely agree with you and haven't resorted to that...yet. But at the same time, if the software allows you to do it, it's fair game.

Another example of this is jacking up the gamma at night so you don't have to use a flashlight. Once someone in-game told me about this and I tried it out, it really felt like cheating. I really loved the tension of whether or not to use a flashlight or trying to sneak up on people in the dark. Since learning about the gamma "hack" though, I can't not use it. This definitely takes something away from the game, but really provides too much of an advantage to go back to flashlights.

Flashlights are glitched at the moment anyways where they shine through walls so people just end up seeing the entire town lit up when a flashlight is on.

Shady859

OH MAN I HATE THIS DAMN GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol I didn't play much before standalone and never tend to get that great of stuff but I lucked out today and spawned near a airfield. Nabbed TONS of good gear nice baggage shirts and pants and big backpack my first assualt rifle and ammos plus even a handgun. Buncha food and 2 water bottles loaded as I ever been. Survived 2 towns and an airstrip then as I making for the woods. POP POP POP POP POP the end. This game..... :)

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
How long does your body stay in the world after you die? Does it disappear if you leave the server? The 'respawn' option never seems to actually work for me, so after falling off a roof I had to try and rejoin the server to hopefully recover my stuff, but I couldn't remember exactly which server it even was.

Buggy Loop

Can anyone tell me if the zombies have improved? I played the mod version a while ago and the zombies lagging or just being ridiculously weird and glitched were kind of silly. Has this been improved a lot in the standalone alpha? I cant seem to find videos of just that, cant skim through 2h playthrough to find just a segment of zombie killing, seems like there's a lot less zombies than the mod too.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
they are really weird and glitched in my experience. when they walk through doors it sucks. when they are stuck halfway in the ground and chase you through buildings but cant attack you, it's a relief.

Ocho

Can anyone tell me if the zombies have improved? I played the mod version a while ago and the zombies lagging or just being ridiculously weird and glitched were kind of silly. Has this been improved a lot in the standalone alpha? I cant seem to find videos of just that, cant skim through 2h playthrough to find just a segment of zombie killing, seems like there's a lot less zombies than the mod too.

No. Right now they go through walls.

NH Apache

Banned
How long does your body stay in the world after you die? Does it disappear if you leave the server? The 'respawn' option never seems to actually work for me, so after falling off a roof I had to try and rejoin the server to hopefully recover my stuff, but I couldn't remember exactly which server it even was.

1. Look at your history in Chnage server to whittle down the possibilites.
2. Bodies after death are currently glitched to where they never stay. Known bug, as design they should stay until restart, thus the law of conservation of loot stays intact. For now.

As an aside, I got a really good idea for weight management in a dream last night that may work for for the devs. It'll take me a couple of days to prep the post but it is based on a ship's loading condition and centers of gravity.

Irish

Wait, did you fall through as you were logging out or when you logged back in? I logged out in the top of a house :(

It was before I logged out. I was going to set myself safe inside of a house before I logged and ended up falling through instead.

It's funny, people even attack when they're clearly outmatched. A guy tried to fistfight me when I was holding an fire axe. One swift chop with the axe took care of him.

A few of us with axes bumrushed and murdered a dude who had a fully loaded M4 last night. I think he might have panicked instead of picking us off while we ran at him.

Wanny

I'm done with the game for now. I need more patches/gameplay to keep going. Still, I played for 20 hours and it's quite more than I initially planned. It's a shame that we will most likely not see much major updates in the next 2 weeks, but I can understand that...

Doesn't Steam have a built-in party chat function or is it best to use a program like Mumble/TeamSpeak/Ventrillo instead when playing DayZ with friends?

Nemic77

Whats the status on combat logging?

Put one M4 round on one guy, and while trying to loot his corpse, none of his items were transfering into my backpack. A couple of seconds later, his body vanished...

How do you use bayonet's attached to a weapon?
Been wondering this ever since I put a bayonet on my Mosin Nagant. Spooled through the assignments in the Controls menu and didn't see anything.
Nope, not yet.
Bah, I've been keeping that ammo for nothing.

Related: my life wherein I co-operated with a Spanish guy for the day is still going, finally got to put some more time into it today. Explored Zelenogorsk a bit more, found some ammo for the Mosin Nagant, and stocked up on food/drink. Even found a map of SW Chernarus. Very pleased with my haul, headed in the direction of Pogorevka. Finally fired a gun at a zombie. Headshots are extremely effective it would seem. Took out three more as I was travelling. Along the way I saw the red-and-white tower of Green Mountain, and couldn't resist checking it out.

The tower is well worth climbing for the view and the laughs. The other building there should definitely be explored, twice (had to relog and change server 'cos of a visual glitch) found tons of nice stuff there. The first time, there was a guy under the stairs just spraying blood everywhere. Making noise but not appearing to die of the bleeding. He was unresponsive, and when I tried to handcuff him with some handcuffs on the floor he came up as 'unknown entity'. Figuring he might be stuck in some form of glitch, I shot him dead so that, if so, he could respawn. Still not sure if that was the right thing to do, but I did try to help, just couldn't seem to get anywhere with it, either in text or voice. Had a look around and found a nice collection of stuff, including (yet) another M4, which I left where it was. When I came back the second time there was a guy already exploring the building. We chatted briefly, he noticed how much stuff I had and elected not to shoot me even though I was typing with Caps Lock on by accident.

I'm enjoying playing like this - doing some stuff, logging out in a reasonably safe place before I play for too long, and then coming back - it strikes a nice balance between the terror of screwing up and losing everything, and the thrill of exploring further.

Myz

Neo Member
Random shit from my journey so far

lmao didn't think you'd actually do it!

I think you should keep doing these screenshots and maybe start a GAF video journal where we can all send in pictures to compile throughout standalone :) I'm glad to say I took place in that foot race :p

What server do most of you play on? I wanna join up :)

Add me: Busta_SMurk, or Busta SMurk, and if you see me online, I'll invite you to our gang. We usually have 3-4, or 5 people at a time.

Edit:

New page, so I'll say it again:

If your a solo player, and your looking for a gang to join up with, I've been hosting some games lately. Just add me to Steam, (Busta_SMurk or Busta SMurk) and when you see me online playing DayZ, hit me up, and you can join up with the gang, (we will meet you halfway).

I have a TeamSpeak server you can join us on.

Also, join the GAF-Z group!

KKRT00

Bought. Mouse Accelaration almost makes it unplayable, its the worse mouse targeting in any game i've player, just wow.

---

Look how i got trolled by a game. I hope that eating rotten full on full water and food is not lethal. Fortunately i'm near hospital, so i'll just farm for antibiotics

======

My loot so far, cant find m4 ammo ;\ And look at that GPU utilization, it is just glorious :)

---
Strange that i cant mix Milk powder with water like description says. I can eat it though.

What are vitamins are for?

KKRT00

You can place that axe on the back of your character by the way. No need to put it in your backpack.

I know, but i used that for a while just to cheat people that i dont have weapon and M4 is not that visible from the distance, when Axe is.
I generally have it hid, but its Cherno and there's quite a few zombies coming through the walls, so i'm just running with it in hands, for now.

--------

Is there still notification when You are full on water and food? I drank like 7 bottles of water and got nothing, i ate quite a lot too, also nothing.

Is there a way to eliminate freeze every few seconds?

ZenVolta

I know, but i used that for a while just to cheat people that i dont have weapon and M4 is not that visible from the distance, when Axe is.
I generally have it hid, but its Cherno and there's quite a few zombies coming through the walls, so i'm just running with it in hands, for now.

--------

Is there still notification when You are full on water and food? I drank like 7 bottles of water and got nothing, i ate quite a lot too, also nothing.

Is there a way to eliminate freeze every few seconds?

Turn clouds off, see if that helps

Top Bottom