• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ Early Access Thread - We dont go to Stary Sobor

Finally found loaded magazines and an ACOG. The ACOG is badly damaged so the glass is cracked but is the gun's accuracy affected? Is it more inaccurate or just a cosmetic feature?

DrBo42

Finally found loaded magazines and an ACOG. The ACOG is badly damaged so the glass is cracked but is the gun's accuracy affected? Is it more inaccurate or just a cosmetic feature?

I've found that the scopes aren't sighted correctly to begin with. Either that or the horrific wind system in the game is being applied. Not sure.

lol, oh really? Okay, that's short.

Is there any sort of indication, either in game or out, of when a server is going to restart?

No. That's a good thing too or else people would log in specifically for loot spawns at certain times.

Hylian7

I assumed that, but how often do servers restart?? I realize it probably depends on the server, but I have no idea. Days? Weeks?

Or maybe in the short-term, if you're about to go into a city, leave a bunch of stuff hidden in the woods before you go looting, in case you're jumped.

Generally servers have restarts every four hours, but some of them say in their MotDs when they restart.

antonz

Oh man I found the motherload and now my gameplay changes for the worst confirmed because no one is getting my loot.

Managed to find 2 double clips 30/30 both full and an ammo case with 300 rounds of 5.56mm. Found like 4 magazines full of .45 ammo for pistol as well so I am armed to the teeth

So much ammo now.

Oh man I found the motherload and now my gameplay changes for the worst confirmed because no one is getting my loot.

Managed to find 2 double clips 30/30 both full and an ammo case with 300 rounds of 5.56mm. Found like 4 magazines full of .45 ammo for pistol as well so I am armed to the teeth

So much ammo now.
Same, I raided the northwest airfield after a server restart, only saw one zombie, and got a bunch of ammo.

RyanDG

Earlier today I was running through the tents in Balota when I hear over direct com to stop and put my hands up. I had an axe, and little else, so I wasn't too worried about dying. I began to prepare for my mad rush out the tent, when I realized that it was two survivors holding someone else up (they hadn't seen me yet).

They handcuffed the poor guy, took his gear, and then shot him in the head. From my vantage point, they couldn't see me. The two survivors headed west, and I got the crazy idea that I was going to start following them. I tried my best not to be seen, dodging in and between buildings. There was no communication between the two, so I assumed they were talking via team speak or mumble.

I made it through Komarovo without being spotted, and they pressed westward toward Kamenka. I held near the tree line this time, still following the two, waiting as they looted through buildings. As soon as they turned north towards Pavlovo, it decided I was going to make a guess and assume they were going to be heading towards the military base north of Kamenka. I put away my axe and made a mad dash for the installation, taking up residence in a rocky outcrop near a series of military barracks.

I then waited.

And waited.

And waited some more.

Finally, I spotted movement in the base. The two survivors were making their way into the base, sprinting like madmen. They both quickly moved through one set of barracks, and then when they got near the barracks I was positioned by, I slowly moved my way down the outcrop.

Both of them ran into the barracks, eager for whatever items may be inside.

With them essentially blind to me now, I positioned myself near the door with my axe at the ready. After what seemed like forever (I was slightly worried they may have server hopped at this point), I hear two foot steps dashing towards me. The two survivors make a mad dash out of the barracks heading for the last barracks at the base, and as soon as the first one exposed himself, I swung my axe into his back, knocking him unconscious. His friend begins panicking, trying to aim at me with his m4 at this point, but I quickly ran up to him and smacked him as well before he could fire (note to everyone, at point blank range, don't bother trying to aim, hip fire that shit), killing him instantly.

I quickly tried to loot my spoils (got the m4 off of one of them) before the two bodies disappeared. Unfortunately all I got for my troubles was the gun.

This is why I love Day Z.

Such a shame that the current loot and spawn system kind of prevents these sorts of encounters from happening.

Erehtih

Spent almost 3 hours trying to meet up with my friend and once we were geared and met up, some guy shoots us down. All part of the experience I guess haha

Gaz_RB

So much for that Christmas ceasefire. My friend and I killed two guys today. The first wouldn't put down his hammer, and the second... We wanted his gun.

Earlier today I was running through the tents in Balota when I hear over direct com to stop and put my hands up. I had an axe, and little else, so I wasn't too worried about dying. I began to prepare for my mad rush out the tent, when I realized that it was two survivors holding someone else up (they hadn't seen me yet).

They handcuffed the poor guy, took his gear, and then shot him in the head. From my vantage point, they couldn't see me. The two survivors headed west, and I got the crazy idea that I was going to start following them. I tried my best not to be seen, dodging in and between buildings. There was no communication between the two, so I assumed they were talking via team speak or mumble.

I made it through Komarovo without being spotted, and they pressed westward toward Kamenka. I held near the tree line this time, still following the two, waiting as they looted through buildings. As soon as they turned north towards Pavlovo, it decided I was going to make a guess and assume they were going to be heading towards the military base north of Kamenka. I put away my axe and made a mad dash for the installation, taking up residence in a rocky outcrop near a series of military barracks.

I then waited.

And waited.

And waited some more.

Finally, I spotted movement in the base. The two survivors were making their way into the base, sprinting like madmen. They both quickly moved through one set of barracks, and then when they got near the barracks I was positioned by, I slowly moved my way down the outcrop.

Both of them ran into the barracks, eager for whatever items may be inside.

With them essentially blind to me now, I positioned myself near the door with my axe at the ready. After what seemed like forever (I was slightly worried they may have server hopped at this point), I hear two foot steps dashing towards me. The two survivors make a mad dash out of the barracks heading for the last barracks at the base, and as soon as the first one exposed himself, I swung my axe into his back, knocking him unconscious. His friend begins panicking, trying to aim at me with his m4 at this point, but I quickly ran up to him and smacked him as well before he could fire (note to everyone, at point blank range, don't bother trying to aim, hip fire that shit), killing him instantly.

I quickly tried to loot my spoils (got the m4 off of one of them) before the two bodies disappeared. Unfortunately all I got for my troubles was the gun.

This is why I love Day Z.

Such a shame that the current loot and spawn system kind of prevents these sorts of encounters from happening.

I'm not sure how much patience I'll have to play this alpha, but if this game ever gets rockin' and rollin', I'm totally going to be a vigilante. A warrior for justice and all that is good.

I salute you.

Is Podeba Dam still there? I know that the northern most part of the map was changed some for the standalone, but I can't seem to find Podeba Dam on the new map. I haven't gotten up to the North East yet, but it isn't visible on the DayZDB map. Just wondering.

RyanDG

Is Podeba Dam still there? I know that the northern most part of the map was changed some for the standalone, but I can't seem to find Podeba Dam on the new map. I haven't gotten up to the North East yet, but it isn't visible on the DayZDB map. Just wondering.

No, its not. It's been replaced.

So an IRL friend of mine just got the game, but both the 'friends' column and 'friends' tab aren't showing anything for the server he's on.

We also aren't sure how to even get the server information for the server you're currently playing on. I checked all the controls and tried hitting all the normal keys on the keyboard but didn't see anything.

I bet he has max players set to 0. It happened to me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm guessing there's no way to host your own private server just yet?

Hylian7

I just died because my guy made pain noises and the guy chasing me found me, then I tried to shoot him through a table and he just shot me with an M4 through the same table. His shots went through but mine didn't, bullshit...

TheSeks

God, stop telling me I'm thirsty. I KNOW YOU ARE. I'm trying to find a flipping water bottle since you can't drink from the Ocean and apparently need one to even drink from a well if I can even find one in this starting town, dude!

antonz

I just died because my guy made pain noises and the guy chasing me found me, then I tried to shoot him through a table and he just shot me with an M4 through the same table. His shots went through but mine didn't, bullshit...

there is some collision issues for sure. Yesterday I was in an air traffic control tower and someone shot up at me and missed initially. I looked down found him and opened up on him with my M4. all my shots seemed to bounce off broken glass while his shots came through

The loot curve definitely needs some smoothing out. I spent the first 5 hours of the game with an axe, then after going to one airfield I had multiple M4's to choose from and about 400 rounds of ammo. Okay.

Hylian7

The loot curve definitely needs some smoothing out. I spent the first 5 hours of the game with an axe, then after going to one airfield I had multiple M4's to choose from and about 400 rounds of ammo. Okay.
That is what happens when there are only two primary guns.

I do hope the M4 is the peak of military loot though

So, I was the recipient of a Christmas miracle. Growing bored of having all my gear, rarely leaving my self-exile in the library called Guba, I journeyed south to spread some Christmas cheer. Just outside of Electro I spot a fresh spawn. I call out to him, he turns to me and gives me the finger, and runs off. Now I refuse to let my generosity be turned down. I take aim with my ACOG and put a bullet through his leg. Unfortunately I failed to break his leg and he passed out. I go over and stop his bleeding, and wake him up with my saline bag. I then proceed to give the man my gear. Ignoring my near constant insults he thanks me for the gear and goes along his way.

I then decide the bring the gift of books to Cherno. I head back to Guba and collect as many books I could carry. I ran back south in a blitz. I put out my wares in front of the firehouse, and read War of the Worlds as I waited. Soon after a man approached me, I greeted him, to my dismay he only spoke to local language, and could not speak English. He looked at my wares, and took a book, Robinson Crusoe if I remember correctly. While I do not charge for my books the kind young man left some Sardines and a bottle of water for me and went on his way. However two young Grinchs would soon visit my store. Not a day older then twelve they began to mock my store, and my looks. They tied me up and planned to kill me, but before my death, a shot rang out and one of my would be executioners fell to the ground. Before me or my other would be killer could understand what had happened, the young man from before had returned with friends, screaming in the local dialect they open fired with righteous fury sending the second grinch down in a hail of fire. Soon the devil took the bodies of the two deceased to hell, to suffer for an eternity. However not before one of the locals pulled a pistol off one of them. He then proceeded to give it to me. They then journeyed off, to realms unknown.

I returned to my shop not to be dismayed by the actions of others. After a while a another customer approached, after making some snide remarks he looked at my inventory. With the sun setting I decided to close up shop. I told the man it was time to go but he responded with a one finger salute. I got up went to my pack, grabbed the pistol wished him a merry Christmas and put a single round through his head. I took some of his gear and headed north to spread some more Christmas cheer. By the end of the night I returned to Guba, with gear much matching the gear I had gave away earlier in the day. There is no moral to this tale, just a word of caution, some say the pen is mightier than the sword, this may or may not be the case, a bullet to the head however does make a pretty good argument.

I've trekked to the airfield twice, and twice found literally nothing (let alone an M4).

KKRT00

@littleworm
Great encounters :)

----

I spawned yesterday in Elektro to kill some group near Hostpital, but i couldnt find anyone, the only guy i found, got to roof of hospital, run to me then run back to ladder as fast as he could, because i was pointing m4 at him and probably bugged on the ladder, because he felt down to fast.
Several minutes later, i saw him crawling nearby Hospital and i figured out that he broke his legs, so i get down and instead of finishing him [like he was asking me to do], i fix his leg and gave him morphine :)

TheSeks

Well, finally found a well to stop my thirst. Found a shovel, and a zombie. Attacked the zombie and started to bleed. Found a pair of rags and bandaged myself. Continued to bleed a few minutes later (I guess that's realistic... kinda... though a little insane in time-to-heal?) and a group of zombies found me and... black-out.

Not too bad though. Games still REALLY janky but the improved graphics (that are hitching for me even with the defaults?) really help with the experience for me. Double so the "head-bob" being toned down slightly.

I just wish I could make a private server to not worry about bandits and scavenge on my own time. Yes, yes, ruining the experience and all that but eh...

Overdoziz

Banned
Well, finally found a well to stop my thirst. Found a shovel, and a zombie. Attacked the zombie and started to bleed. Found a pair of rags and bandaged myself. Continued to bleed a few minutes later (I guess that's realistic... kinda... though a little insane in time-to-heal?) and a group of zombies found me and... black-out.

Not too bad though. Games still REALLY janky but the improved graphics (that are hitching for me even with the defaults?) really help with the experience for me. Double so the "head-bob" being toned down slightly.

I just wish I could make a private server to not worry about bandits and scavenge on my own time. Yes, yes, ruining the experience and all that but eh...
Bandages and rags completely stop bleeding.
Also, I'm fairly sure there's a fair amount of servers with only a small number of players in it so you can roam around without a care in the world.

TheSeks

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Finding small player number servers to explore the world in. I just don't want to worry about bandits, like invaders in De/Dark Souls. I don't have time for that shit. People may enjoy that, but that isn't the "experience" for me.

KKRT00

I've just been shot twice in the back, when i was making some inventory management on some stairs [damn ambient noises, i couldnt here any steps or doors opennings] and died.
So i pressed Respawn button, but nothing happened, so i quit and join different server and what?
I was alive, with shot wound and 'healthy' character status. All my items in backpack are ruined but they work just fine.
I've bandaged, took painkillers, eat stuff, drink stuff and i'm again at 100% hp with all of my items lol

---------

Joined different server and got shot within the second of showing the game screen - what? Now, i'm really dead.

Grief.exe

I doubt it, but have there been any new patches or developments over the past few days?

I have been camping and then busy with Christmas.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
LUlurpk.jpg

In honor of DayZ and my Xmas Pebble Watch.

Top Bottom