• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ Early Access Thread - We dont go to Stary Sobor

ZenVolta

Cool little glitch. If you find a gas lamp on the ground, you can turn it on and itll work even without the tank. But if you pick it up itll go off.

Kard8p3

GAF, question, think I could run this on my GT 640? Not wanting to drop 30 bucks on a game(when steam comes back from the dead) if I can't play it.

Wanny

I'll give them a break today, but tomorrow they better go back at it. They are basically sitting on a big pile of cash right now.

KKRT00

Spawned near the Balota airport, so why not just rush there as fast as i can?
It seems that wasnt only my idea. This what welcomed me there:

iHppcFoTtfYcw.png

iL5FiSM3vD0pj.png

ibqCjmP2O6Yq3f.png

ibk88xoyolYjn.png

Hylian7

I should feel like a scumbag for server hopping right now, but I don't because of the current loot system. Toward the back half of a restart cycle, even finding food to run north is unlikely.

KKRT00

I have no problem with food, i have problem with weapons. Basically when i make a new character, i get all survival loot in like 40 minutes and then all i can do, is to farm Hospitals for some extra healing stuff and airport for weapons.

They need to let weapons and attachments to spawn in normal houses and apartments too, because now it is just ridiculous.

Grief.exe

Balota Airport is fucking dangerous. One place that you can run to and guarantee a weapon for many new spawns.

I need to head for a town with a hospital for some antibiotics. Closest one for me, currently, is probably Berezino

Hylian7

Balota Airport is fucking dangerous. One place that you can run to and guarantee a weapon for many new spawns.

I need to head for a town with a hospital for some antibiotics. Closest one for me, currently, is probably Berezino

The military base near Kamenka has one.

Am I the only one thinking, that if you want anything from the Balota airport, go in at night on a low population server and scavenge then?

I'll give them a break today, but tomorrow they better go back at it. They are basically sitting on a big pile of cash right now.

Kinda feel the same way. It astounds me that I've only seen this game slip from #1 once since the winter sale has began. People are fiends for zombie games.

Longshot

Not to be one to completely break immersion and character interactions, but what is to stop someone in danger from just logging out?
In the mod 'combat logging' was introduced, where if a bullet landed within something like 15 metres of you, it would register as being in combat, and you would be unable to log out, if you alt + f4'd you'd still lose your kit.

I think SA has something similar. Nothing is for keeps in DayZ, the sooner people respect and accept that, the better.

Grief.exe

In the mod 'combat logging' was introduced, where if a bullet landed within something like 15 metres of you, it would register as being in combat, and you would be unable to log out, if you alt + f4'd you'd still lose your kit.

I think SA has something similar. Nothing is for keeps in DayZ, the sooner people respect and accept that, the better.

It isn't turned on yet. They have many features turned off currently to assist with server performance.

DogMeat77

At least you knew for sure who to completely avoid or KoS.

The bandit/hero skin is a horrible idea in my opinion. Beyond the fact that you can earn it unjustly, it takes away from the realism. You should not be able to look at someone and come to the conclusion that they are friendly/bandit because of their skin. A hero could still murder you. A bandit could still have pity on you. I hope they never bring that back.

ZenVolta

The problem with that system is how do you differentiate between those that deserve the skin and those that don't? The answer is you can't, at least not easily.

Yeah. All joking aside, sometimes Fresh spawns will throw themselves at you or try to shoot you as soon as they find a weapon. Defending yourself, most of the time, counted to being a bandit.

Grief.exe

Yeah. All joking aside, sometimes Fresh spawns will throw themselves at you or try to shoot you as soon as they find a weapon. Defending yourself, most of the time, counted to being a bandit.

Exactly.

Before someone says it, you could try to keep track of ulterior factors, who attacked first, who is defending, did the person avenge a friend, etc. The problem lies in server performance, that is all extra load for the servers that can't handle it currently.

Irrelevant discussion, Rocket has hated that particular mechanic from the beginning.

Grief.exe

How does the damage status effect food items?

I just passed on some sardines marked as ruined as I did not want to get sick from eating them.

I can think of many possibilities where the integrity of the can would effect the food within.

zma1013

I just got killed on site on the bow of the ship in the northeast. Was just running around looking at the scenery and a guy on the deck of the other side of the ship just 1 shot downs me. I'm unconscious. My friends end up killing him and his friend and then they try to bandage and revive me but my character is stuck in a glitch running through walls so they can't catch me to fix me. End up having to just respawn.

Gaz_RB

I wish they'd bring back the bandit skin.

Game needs consequences for Kill on Site players.

Boo! That would kill the tension of figuring it out for yourself! And would kill the customization elements they've been introducing.

I just got killed on site on the bow of the ship in the northeast. Was just running around looking at the scenery and a guy on the deck of the other side of the ship just 1 shot downs me. I'm unconscious. My friends end up killing him and his friend and then they try to bandage and revive me but my character is stuck in a glitch running through walls so they can't catch me to fix me. End up having to just respawn.

Same thing happened to me. Going unconscious seems really broken.

Oreoleo

I just passed on some sardines marked as ruined as I did not want to get sick from eating them.

I can think of many possibilities where the integrity of the can would effect the food within.

I believe if you open the can the quality reverts to pristine.

Grief.exe

My vision is still quite blurry though I have been taking vitamins, dousing my wounds in alcohol, and filling up on food/water. I have a couple saline bag and IV kits, guess I will have one of the GAF crew administer that to me when we meet up.

I have never seen the stuffed message either despite eating cans upon cans of food and water.

Been looking for new players along the coast to drop off some food, ammo, pistol, and water too, hoping for them to administer a saline bag in return.

I believe if you open the can the quality reverts to pristine.

I believe it still said ruined for me, but I will have to check again.

I'm fairly convinced that damage status is irrelevant for a good number of items in this game. I feel like it's currently a placeholder system for something that might be implemented down the road.

My vision is still quite blurry though I have been taking vitamins, dousing my wounds in alcohol, and filling up on food/water.

I'm can't say for sure what it is you're seeing, but I know my game looks blurry until I turn off post processing in video options. And there seems to be a bug where after booting the game up, your change won't take affect until you navigate to the video options again. You don't have to click accept or even make the change again - just navigating to the video options will force your previous post processing change. It's weird.

T.O.P

Banned
Ok i'm about to buy this after watching a shitload of streams on Twitch

Never played Arma or the mod version of this...is it enjoyable as solo or it's better to get some people to play wih first?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
My vision is still quite blurry though I have been taking vitamins, dousing my wounds in alcohol, and filling up on food/water. I have a couple saline bag and IV kits, guess I will have one of the GAF crew administer that to me when we meet up.

I have never seen the stuffed message either despite eating cans upon cans of food and water.

Been looking for new players along the coast to drop off some food, ammo, pistol, and water too, hoping for them to administer a saline bag in return.

I believe it still said ruined for me, but I will have to check again.
I never seen a stuffed alert myself.

I'm on a young survivor full on food and water. I applied a pristine bandage and ate some vitamins. I guess my next steps are alcohol and saline.

I'm not keen on my vision/graphics being affected by something for the majority of the time I've invested in the game.

If I'm not getting any infection or sick alerts and health is supposed to regen, give me my clarity.

It breaks my immersion worse than a HUD.

Edit: I'm pretty sure my char has 'healthy' next to it as well...

derFeef

Ok i'm about to buy this after watching a shitload of streams on Twitch

Never played Arma or the mod version of this...is it enjoyable as solo or it's better to get some people to play wih first?

It's fun solo but surely better with people. However it's tough to meet up if you don't know the map and how to get around.

Expect a lot of frustration from bugs and janky controls atm though

Faith

3twp7ejw.jpg

Yesterday I played for around 10 hours and with 1 character for around 5 hours. Had everything I needed and then we (me and 2 friends) were killed from 1 guy. He was all alone and yet he managed to kill us all.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
It's fun solo but surely better with people. However it's tough to meet up if you don't know the map and how to get around.

Expect a lot of frustration from bugs and janky controls atm though

I loved to play solo on the mod and then hunt for those vandit groups, hackers ruined that for me though :(

Yesterday I played for around 10 hours and with 1 character for around 5 hours. Had everything I needed and then we (me and 2 friends) were killed from 1 guy. He was all alone and yet he managed to kill us all.

I think that's why this game is so great though - is the feeling of dread that it constantly conveys. The constant fear of dying makes this one of the most terrifying games I've ever played, and it isn't due to 'jump' scares.

With friends maybe not stay so closely grouped? Stay staggered or have a guy following behind. That way he could potentially kill the bandit and salvage some of your most important gear for you. This staggered person could also reverse a hold-up situation.

KKRT00

The Mosin Nagant spawns in this house

2596081_orig.jpg

I've been there like at least 60 times and havent found even one.
I found one Mosin in a house with second floor from dayz mod, but thats about it.
Sure there are some weapons spawns in office at 3rd floor and at ground floor of firestation, but thats about it.

Not only that, i havent found a single attachment outside of airports except for weapon flashlight in one house and i have over 20h of game time on my counter.

------

Am I the only one thinking, that if you want anything from the Balota airport, go in at night on a low population server and scavenge then?

Hoped to a server with 3 people on it and got shot like after one minute on Balota airport :)
Airport above Stary Sobor is much safer and has more loot, but its so far away.

Faith

I think that's why this game is so great though - is the feeling of dread that it constantly conveys. The constant fear of dying makes this one of the most terrifying games I've ever played, and it isn't due to 'jump' scares.

With friends maybe not stay so closely grouped? Stay staggered or have a guy following behind. That way he could potentially kill the bandit and salvage some of your most important gear for you. This staggered person could also reverse a hold-up situation.
That was our fault, we were too close to each other, maybe 2-3m. He shot me and one friend at the same time and my other friend freaked out and didn't know what to do. He was just staying on his position and after 5-7 minutes he was killed too.

I knew I will die sometime and will lose everything. But it hurts anyway to lose a character you invested 5 hours of your lifetime xD

Jibbed

Finally got my hands on this last night, mixed feelings thus far.

I'm loving the quite noticeable visual upgrade the SA has over the mod (which I've been playing the last few days to get back into it), and being able to enter 70-80% of buildings now is a welcome addition. Zombies also seem to be a lot more intelligent and organic than their predecessors which is good too!

Positives to summarise:
- Graphical upgrades are nice
- New inventory screen is 100x better than the previous crap
- All dem enterable buildings
- Zombies (when you find them) are much better
- Focus on direct comms (no side channel chat etc) is actually pretty sweet
- Some functional upgrades like tearing clothes in to rags blew my mind

However...

Main issues at the moment being:
- Complete lack of loot on servers with 10+ players
- Stupid hunger/thirst/health system currently in place, the mod's little icons worked just fine
- Unconcious/death system being completely devoid of information (mod at least shown your character being killed from 3rd-person perspective)
- Poor performance in certain areas like Chernogorsk
- Severe lack of zombies
- So much jank it's untrue

I appreciate a lot of the work Rocket and his team have been doing is somewhat 'behind the scenes' on a technical level to get this thing off the ground, but considering we're what, 12-18 months down the line now? The SA is heavily lacking features in several key areas... it really does feel about as barebones as things can get, but I guess that's what we've signed up for anyway. A lot of the 'new additions'/changes that have been made to the basic core functions of the mod seem like backward steps IMO but with a community as vocal as DayZ's, I'm sure shit will be sorted ASAP. I'm not quite getting the awesome vibes the mod was giving me back in the day (eg. sheer terror 24/7) as people seem to be sprinting around all over the place with seemingly no penalty for doing so... kinda kills the immersion but ah well, I'm sure it'll only get better as the weeks pass.

I just expected a lot more by now.

Just out of curiosity, if I were to change my characters default appearance would it reset him/her entirely? As in, would I lose all my current equipment and just sort of respawn?

Just out of curiosity, if I were to change my characters default appearance would it reset him/her entirely? As in, would I lose all my current equipment and just sort of respawn?

I tried and the changes only take place after you die from whatever reason and respawn, so your next character should have the appearance when the time comes.

It doesn't kill you or anything...But why risk it anyway? lol

I tried and the changes only take place after you die from whatever reason and respawn, so your next character should have the appearance when the time comes.

It doesn't kill you or anything...But why risk it anyway? lol

Thanks! I've currently got a female character, but it's just slightly distracting when she starts grunting like a man. Sounds like a hassle to change and it's really not a very big issue. Hopefully they get some female voicework in there sometime! Probably not high on the to-do list, though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Game needs consequences for Kill on Site players.

I'm not a bandit, and I'm not a "kill on sight" player, but let's think about this a little logically: If you were in a zombie apocalypse like DayZ, why wouldn't you shoot first/ask questions later on anyone that you know isn't a friendly?

I can understand the frustration (and that's why I try to find low population servers for the lesser chance of these people) but I can see why they would do it outside of trolling purposes. They have no clue you're a friendly and you may say you are but in reality you aren't and may possibly kill them.

Spoo

This game is really cool until you run into zombies.

I mean, there's something really wrong with that, of course -- they walk through walls, take 10000 hits with melee weapons, and are about as threatening as a freshly squeezed shit.

Like, how? How can the one thing your zombie game needs to do partway right be so utterly horrible? It's one thing to say the game is early access, but damn; sheer incompetence.

Wanny

^ Yeah they need to put smart but avoidable deadly zombies into the game asap.

Cmon, we need a christmas present now. Patch this mess. :p

I knew I will die sometime and will lose everything. But it hurts anyway to lose a character you invested 5 hours of your lifetime xD

True that. Which, again, is why it's awesome. For so many, many things this game currently does wrong, what it does so right is the feeling of being in a desolate, post-zombie apocalypse world. It's perfect. I played for about 3 hours last night and didn't see a single person in a 40p server. While I would agree that this doesn't make the game for everybody, it certainly punctuates those moments where you do have encounters.

Jibbed said:
Zombies also seem to be a lot more intelligent and organic than their predecessors which is good too!

lol, what? I never played the mod, but I can't even imagine more pointless, dysfunctional zombies in a zombie game. They don't respond to sound. They only appear in one's. They walk through walls and doors. Circle-strafing with a melee weapon prevents from ever getting hurt by one.

It's really the most glaring issue with this alpha right now. Zombies need to be completely scrapped and redone. They need to pose a threat to bring action and tension for all of that time when you're not engaged in some sort of PvP. They need to travel in groups and be found in the wilderness. They need to be carrying loot. They need to be able to spawn inside houses, and have the AI to navigate walls and doors. They need to respond to and converge on loud sounds - especially gun fire. You could even tie loot spawns to zombies by having some of the best loot and weapons guarded by large zombie groups - forcing players to work together.

Top Bottom