• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enlisted |OT| Fox Makes Stripes The TV Series – Fridays 9:30/8:30c

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

ibeF3CsLviadhU.png

iDRJ3Cpg4FM3U.gif

i161XxnNDjzHb.png

jZ2Mosi59LnIj.png

jkvufGIFYp86q.png

iWzB3hZ8PTtrN.png

jbd3zjVKRjmFk1.png

iXOe9Xt1xh8Ry.png

TheOddOne

- Sepinwall: Review: FOX's 'Enlisted' finds laughs and heart in Army life
Mixing humor with pathos is a tricky business, and more often than not, sitcom scenes that try to deliver a heart-warming moment ring false. Even the drama on "Scrubs" didn't always feel earned. Through four episodes of "Enlisted," though, the emotions flow smoothly together with the jokes — and, at this early stage, are probably the stronger part of the show — and the characters (also including Angelique Cabral as the friendly but competitive leader of a rival unit) are instantly likable.

"Enlisted" is so charming, so quickly, that it probably deserves better than a Friday at 9:30 timeslot — but then, lead-in "Raising Hope" is arguably too funny to be airing Fridays at 9. Hopefully, FOX's expectations are realistic, because they've got a potential gem here.

TheOddOne

- Variety review.
“Stripes” made its debut in 1981, which put Vietnam far enough into the rearview mirror that Bill Murray could freely joke about the U.S. losing there. “Enlisted,” a Fox sitcom bearing a more than passing resemblance to that movie, resides a bit more uncomfortably close to America’s recent military adventures, making its cartoonish vision of Army life more problematic. Stripped of those concerns, the series can be consumed and mildly appreciated for its sheer goofiness, but this is a pretty slim conceit to attract much of a youthful all-volunteer force on Friday nights.

- Maureen Ryan: 'Enlisted' Review: Fab New Comedy Kicks Off The New Year
Between the broad comedy of the prank war in an upcoming episode, the subtle reactions and dry delivery of Pete and Derrick and the loosey-goosey moments of levity provided by the platoon, "Enlisted's" humor has a pleasing variety and density. The show is never content to settle for one kind of comedy, but "Enlisted" never feels tonally jarring or indecisive, nor does it feel frantic or overstuffed. This is simply a comedy with a well thought-out premise and nicely sketched characters; the pilot is solid, and the show only gets better from there.
- Tim Goodman: Enlisted: TV Review
I wasn't expecting much from Enlisted based on the Fox promos, but it's immediately engaging and funny and makes you want to watch more as this world grows and the comedy increases its potential, much in the manner of Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Agreed, was a very fun show. While I'll never be one of those "FOX DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING" people, thought they mishandled it a bit. Deserved more of a shot than it was given, less shuffling, and more faith in Hart Hanson.

ivysaur12

Banned
This show is really funny. Much funnier than Cougar Town, which I really don't care for, even 5 seasons in. I would love to see it have a long and prosperous life.

Also, Geoff Stults is FINE.

gVbx66Z.jpg

- Matt Zoller Seitz's review for NY Mag: A Hilarious, High Jinks–Heavy Army Sitcom
It's a high jinks–heavy but psychology-driven show that wants to please a general audience while also seeming halfway credible to viewers who've served in the armed forces or know somebody who has. On that score, Enlisted is a success. On the "Make me laugh no matter who I am" score, it's a success as well. Long sections of its first four episodes have the whip-crack comic timing of classic Simpsons, as well as the giddiness that comes from realizing that you know what has to happen next because you understand the characters as well as the characters understand each other.

Blader

I think one of my professors either helped produce this or a show very nearly identical to this one. I remember her pitching us this series in class a couple times.

anaron

Aww, that was expectedly adorable and a fairly strong comedy pilot all things considered.

It also shares with Scrubs the kind of premise/setting template to get occasionally heavy so yay for the eventual horribly sad episode. :p

ETA: also fuck that quick swipe of all of them shirtless! :mad:

bishopp35

I really liked it. Parker Young was the best thing about Suburgatory and he is pretty much playing the same character here , if they develop more the supporting cast we got the best new sitcom this season.The time slot worries me though , Friday after Raising Hope is not good a good time to launch a new series , maybe Fox will find it it a new slot .

I didn't have a particularly strong reaction either way to it.

That said, I immediately went outside after watching it and ran four miles because it made me feel out of shape. So that's something, I guess.

Linius

I didn't have a particularly strong reaction either way to it.

That said, I immediately went outside after watching it and ran four miles because it made me feel out of shape. So that's something, I guess.

That's one of the best reactions to a TV series I read in quite some time :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom