• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Game Dev Harrassed by IndieStatik founder Josh Mattingly Speaks Up (Kotaku)

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOD EDIT: You'll want to read the entire OP and likely the article linked, before you comment in the thread.

http://kotaku.com/she-was-harassed-by-a-games-reporter-now-shes-speakin-1510714971

Kotaku has now published a follow-up written by Rachel Edidin, with her conversation with the harassed game developer, "Alice Mercier" (an alias she uses for the interview). They discuss the fallout afterward, what went through Alice's mind during the conversation, and why she felt the need to publish the conversation.

"It gets difficult, because you're in shock, and your brain isn't really thinking, 'I am going to tell this guy that this is not appropriate.' It's more of 'I'm just going to ignore this and hope that it gets dropped.'"

Then, on a Saturday night earlier this month, he sent her a friend request on Facebook. "I accepted," says Mercier, "and within a minute, he sent that message. I thought it was going to be 'Hey, thanks for adding me, how've you been doing?' Instead, it was 'Hey, what's up, do you know this studio? I will get down with your lady bits.' "

After almost 10 years, Mercier is tired. "I've even been thinking about getting out of the industry as a whole, which would just be absolutely crushing for me, because it's something I've wanted to be a part of my entire life, but I just—It's worn me down a little thin."
Background:

http://kotaku.com/reporter-apologizes-for-crude-sexual-comments-to-female-1505393796

Back in mid January, Kotaku published an article on a case of over internet harassment of a female game developer by reporter Josh Mattingly, the founder and CEO of IndieStatik; a Kickstarted game news site focused on independent games. Laralyn McWilliams, a fellow designer and friend of the woman in question, sent a capture of the Facebook conversation to Kotaku. Josh contacts her asking about an unannounced game and proceeds to make unsolicited and un-reciprocated inappropriate comments during their conversation.
19d6cw5sh9ze4jpg.jpg

Not long afterward, Mattingly issued an apology for his behavior on his Tumblr page:

http://joshmattingly.tumblr.com/post/74003803734/regretfully

Regretfully

There has been a recent situation that I regretfully put myself into involving a woman who I consider a friend in the industry. I want to take a moment to sincerely apologize for the way I acted and the words that were exchanged. I am mortified by my behavior as it was not only completely inappropriate, but it was fueled by alcohol and depression. My younger brother committed suicide last year and ever since then I haven’t been myself. A tragedy like that is something I hope no one has to endure. Even though I’m aware that alcoholism runs in my family, I have been using it to cope with the pain that I feel every day. It’s compounded my depression and clearly clouded my common sense and dignity.

Contrary to what I drunkenly typed, I have nothing but respect for this person. She has always been a positive ray of sunshine and I got very carried away in a conversation that I never should have started. Just because someone is nice to me doesn’t mean I can act inappropriately or say whatever I want to them. Especially since I have been such an advocate of women in games and treating everyone with the same level of respect and decency. I was a complete hypocrite and I am more mad at myself than anyone else will ever be with me. Since the other night, I have taken the steps to get into therapy to deal with the loss of my brother as well as regular AA meetings to deal with my self destruction.

I want to be perfectly clear, I’m not using my brother as a scapegoat to give me cart blanche or excuse my behavior. I know that women in the industry have to deal with these sorts of things every day and I hate myself for adding to it. What I did was completely wrong and something that I, myself, take responsibility for. I only bring up my own depression and loss to try to find the root of my poor choices.

Once again, I am terribly sorry. All I’ve ever wanted to be is a positive influence and I let my metal health and alcohol abuse get the best of me.

-Josh

It also came out afterward that this might not have been Mattingly's only display of this kind of behavior:

smVTf5N.png

Original NeoGaf Topic if anyone is interested: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755081&highlight=indiestatik

kitsuneyo

I just read the article on Kotaku.

I think she did the right thing by making this public. Guy sounds a real scumbag, and nobody should have to suffer that crap in silence.

Maybe this type of behaviour isn't exclusive to the game industry, but still good to make an example of harassers.

aeolist

Banned
hopefully the detail she provides about her thought process and the anecdotes from other women in development on the state of the industry will get through to the people blaming her for not coming down hard on this guy

Kru

"It's far from the first time."

So he isn't sorry about his actions, more sorry someone made it public?

Makes the rest of us misogynist scumbags look bad, i tell ya.

esterk

I can understand saying some offensive things when you're drunk, but that just went way above what the threshold for it should be. And the fact that he basically sent the friend request only to harass her like that is just disgusting .

WalkMan

Banned
Probably be more effective to just call him out on it in conversation instead of ignoring it and maneuvering around and only answering the relevant stuff.

I still think anyone defending this was fucking stupid. No-one should have to endure creepy and inappropriate comments by default unless they choose to 'opt out'. It's not okay and no blame or responsibility should be put on the recipient.

And his claims that he was drunk were pretty unbelievable considering he followed up with another message the following morning eight hours later.

Man that is a painful conversation to read. Why he started in the first place is beyond me but when she doesn't respond to it why keep going....and going and going.

I never understood the "I was drunk lol" defense.

Being drunk lets down your guard, and may make you act like an idiot just because you have less inhibitions, but I could be absolutely shitfaced and know right from wrong and how I should treat another human being.

Maaaannnnnn that chat log.

Guy just seems like a complete idiot. Sexism/harassment or no, who the fuck talks like that?

I'll still kiss your vagina

Barf.

besada

Banned
Given the results of the last thread on this topic, might I urge all of you to consider that people who disagree with you are not evil, we're all human beings with feelings, and a minimum of respect goes a long way in keeping things under control.

Valus

He was drunk but sent her another sexual message 6 hours later? Unbelievable. Plays the victim and says he's not playing the victim. I feel bad for those that work with him and have to handle the damage control.

Kinyou

I can understand saying some offensive things when you're drunk, but that just went way above what the threshold for it should be. And the fact that he basically sent the friend request only to harass her like that is just disgusting .
I could also imagine good friends having a chat like that, but apparently they barely know each other

Being drunk lets down your guard, and may make you act like an idiot just because you have less inhibitions, but I could be absolutely shitfaced and know right from wrong and how I should treat another human being.
Dude wanted some dev/journo booty and thought he had a shot. She didn't say no so he thought "hey she isn't saying no. I might be in this to win it!".
I don't understand what kind of reaction he thought that was going to get.
Believe it or not, some women do go for that.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This again... I'm really glad that this is getting exposure but god damn if that chat isn't hard to read.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Great article.

Then I made the mistake of reading the comments. Even though the article specifically addresses the shitty "why didn't she stop it???" attitude, the comments are.... wait, why did I read the comments? *facepalm*

Well I'd believe it the first time. But it looks like this guy has a history of making inappropriate advances to women, so whatever his excuse is, it's worn pretty thin by now.

JDSN

Banned
I am surprised at Kotaku's restrain to not include the perspective of David "The signal" Jaffe, but then again the story is about a woman being harassed.

Not only that, but the timestamp clearly shows that the guy did the initial harassment, waited 6 hours and continued the next day in the morning like it was business as usual. HAVE A NICE SUNDAY!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
She did the right thing in not telling him to stop. If it was face to face, you tell them to stop or walk away. If its in a Facebook message that he knows can be seen by anyone she chooses, and he just keeps documenting his own downfall, just let him go for it.

It's her own fault for replying with "Hey you!". That right there is a clear sign that she got the hots for him.

Mattingly deserves all the flak he gets. Disgusting piece of human trash.

charsace

I don't understand why game devs seem to be so backed up. They really don't have to be desperate and creep on women, especially the ones that they work with. Is there something wrong with going out and meeting women and not dropping creeper lines. If dudes are backed up that bad there are hook up apps available. No need to hold in until the point where you give off "I'm gonna hump you and you'll like it," vibes and saying stupid shit because you're awkward and backed up to your eye balls with semen.

AppleMIX

Great article.

Then I made the mistake of reading the comments. Even though the article specifically addresses the shitty "why didn't she stop it???" attitude, the comments are.... wait, why did I read the comments? *facepalm*

If I've learned anything from the internet, don't ever read the comments.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Uh, wow, that message log is cringeworthy. I guess she was trying to send a message by ignoring it, but wow, that did not work at all. Embarrassing display.

I'm seeing comments that people tried to defend this? David Jaffe? What? How did I miss that?

How do you even start to defend this? Buh?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I don't understand why game devs seem to be so backed up. They really don't have to be desperate and creep on women, especially the ones that they work with. Is there something wrong with going out and meeting women and not dropping creeper lines. If dudes are backed up that bad there are hook up apps available. No need to hold in until the point where you give off "I'm gonna hump you and you'll like it," vibes and saying stupid shit because you're awkward and backed up to your eye balls with semen.

Check this out.

tbm24

That is not something exclusive to game devs. Some dudes know how to play the game, many, like this dude, have no idea how to play the game and try and come off all confident by saying stupid things. I respect his thirst but his game is awful. Needs to reevaluate his approach to women considerably.

Uh, wow, that message log is cringeworthy. I guess she was trying to send a message by ignoring it, but wow, that did not work at all. Embarrassing display.

I'm seeing comments that people tried to defend this? David Jaffe? What? How did I miss that?

How do you even start to defend this? Buh?
From what I understand, he basically said that she should have said "stop" and he should have been smart enough to read her signals.

Threi

notag
Wow @ that log.

That level of thirst is something i'd expect from a stream monster trolling on twitch.tv

Good grief that chat log is hard to read. It all feels so.....pathetic. Who the hell actually talks like that to begin with? Especially with someone he barely knows.

Playing the "I was drunk and sad, please excuse my behavior" card is also quite weak.

I will also never understand why people put this shit in writing on the internet for everyone to see. He has to know behavior like that will come out right? Right?

Yaoibot

I can't believe people think that they can get away with things like this - even in the passion of the moment - when everything we do and say is recordable in some way. That's not to indicate that any of his behavior is defensible, its not. Its utterly disgusting.

Benutzer

Holy shit! First time reading that chatlog. Hilarious how thirsty he his

"I will kiss you on the vagina if you do."

Why did she not say something about his unwanted comments?! If his third message is like that ignoring it does not work.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
what a lowlife

i loved how his apology was just him desperately trying to shift sympathy towards himself in the most transparent way possible

What's even worse is that in his apology he blames it on alcohol...like come on dude, you were drunk for over 6 hours and just had to keep pestering her with weird sexual things? Sorry, not buying it.

Just goes to show he isn't really sorry, or he wouldn't be blaming it on other things, or better yet, not doing it in the first place.

charsace

That is not something exclusive to game devs. Some dudes know how to play the game, many, like this dude, have no idea how to play the game and try and come off all confident by saying stupid things. I respect his thirst but his game is awful. Needs to reevaluate his approach to women considerably.

The dude sounds like he is just looking to fuck. And if that's what he wants to do there are avenues for that. Here he just comes off like a creeper who likes making women uncomfortable and hopes that one of these "non-slutty," women take him up on his stupidity so that he can feel like the man. When there are a lot of women who are into this kind of banter and hooking up.

... So why didn't she said anything? The guy does come off as a complete sexist idiot but I think She should of told him to stop those comments if she decided to go public or else it really comes off as a one sided story.

Tusk

Wow. :p That's so unreal. She really should've just flat out rejected him.
On the other hand, if he wanted some, he should've asked her for dinner first.

In all seriousness, really messed up seeing someone behave that way. It's something you'd expect from a desperate teenager.

Holy shit! First time reading that chatlog. Hilarious how thirsty he his

"I will kiss you on the vagina if you do."

Why did she not say something about his unwanted comments?! If his third message is like that ignoring it does not work.

... So why didn't she said anything? The guy does come off as a comply sexist idiot but a think She should of told him to stop those comments if she decided to go public or else it really comes off as a one side story.

She addresses this in the new article. She was dumbfounded and continued to answer his original query hoping he would just drop it. She was also struggling as to whether or not her outright rebuffing would burn a bridge with a potential press contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom