• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LROT1.jpg

SPECS |

TITLE | Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

PRODUCER | Yoshinori Kitase
DIRECTOR | Motomu Toriyama
MAIN CHARACTER DESIGN | Tetsuya Nomura
MUSIC | Masashi Hamauzu, Naoshi Mizuta, Mitsuto Suzuki
ART DIRECTOR | Isamu Kamikokuryo
GAME DESIGN DIRECTOR | Yuji Abe
MAIN PROGRAMMER | Naoki Hamaguchi
COSTUME DESIGNER | Toshiyuki Itahana

RELEASE DATE | February 11 (NA), February 14 (EU)
GENRE | Role Playing

For PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

OVERVIEW |

Five hundred years have passed since the events of Final Fantasy XIII-2. Now, Gran Pulse is sinking into the sea and all that remains is called Nova Chrysalia. There are only thirteen days until the end and life is frozen in stasis – there is no birth, no natural death, and the forces of chaos are encroaching.

The god Bhunivelze has charged Lightning with saving the souls of humanity by delivering them to the new world. Lightning finds herself thrust into the role of a savior, but time itself is her adversary, and the friends who once fought alongside her have scattered across the four continents that comprise Nova Chrysalia. Snow has become the viceroy of the hedonistic city of Yusnaan, Fang and Vanille have been freed from their crystal prison and now pursue their own objectives, while Hope, restored to his youthful form, guides Lightning from within the Ark, the core of New Cocoon.

As humanity's savior, Lightning will face her greatest challenge yet, and the drama that unfolds will seal her fate once and for all.

Nova Chrysalia

nova.jpg

Nova Chrysalia, a world diseased by Chaos. Made up of four regions - Luxerion, Yusnaan, Dead Dunes and the Wildlands - a monorail provides transportation for travel throughout this realm.

Luxerion: The mysterious and brutal murders also give Luxerion a strong sense of evil that is not entirely present in other locations.
The Dead Dunes: Players can hunt for valuable items in the Dead Dunes. The developers made sure that vigorous exploration and searching would be graciously rewarded.
Yusaan: Yusnaan has a wide selection of shops. The city is home to the last remaining fal’Cie, which supports the people throughout the continent. Snow is in charge of protecting the fal’Cie and equally distributing its resources to the people.
The Wildlands: The Wildlands hold a variety of natural features such as the wide plains, the winding forest, and the canyon. Besides enemies, adorable creatures roam the land and bond with Lightning. These include Chocobos (and their chicks), wooly sheep, and Moogles.

GAMEPLAY |

• Your Own Lightning : Upgrade Lightning's look, abilities and actions through hundreds of game-changing weapons and outfit combinations.
  • A Constantly Moving World: Nova Chrysalia moves to the beat of a 24 hour clock resulting in a different journey for every player.
  • All New Battle System: Master a completely overhauled battle system to control Lightning like never before by being able to block, dodge, and counter with precision.

Eradia: This can be collected through main and side quests. Not only does Eradia increase the lifespan of the world, it is also used to strengthen Lightning.
The Ark: Every time Lightning returns to the Ark, Hope will be waiting will many useful gifts such as X-Potions, Phoenix Downs, and new Garb. Every Garb has at least one default ability that cannot be removed. Also, Lightning will fully recover all gauges, including EP. Players will definitely look forward to going “home” every morning.
Energy Points: EP abilities can be used inside and outside of battle. These abilities include Overclock, Army of One, Escape, Decoy, Chronostasis, Telepo (Teleport), Curaga, and Arise. In EASY mode, players will not be penalized for using Escape. Various teleport spots will be unlocked as Lightning finds them throughout the land. Curaga will completely restore Lightning’s health and Arise will revive her.
Difficulty Modes: HARD mode becomes available after clearing the game once. Creators, again, recommend that players start their Lightning Returns experience with EASY mode, but those up for a little challenge can go ahead with NORMAL mode. One in-game hour is equivalent to 2 1/2 real-time minutes.
Combat: By removing certain parts of an enemy, not only will their attacks become weaker, will possibly drop rare items as well. Enemies can be “knocked out” quicker by using abilities they are vulnerable against. Once defeated, Last Ones will drop extremely valuable items. When Lightning sneaks up on an opponent and attacks it without being noticed, the enemy will start off with less health than usual.

CHARACTERS |

chara.jpg

• Lightning: Several hundred years have passed since she fell into a deep slumber. The world, diseased by Chaos, is on the brink of destruction. The people, hopeless and full of despair, stand by hopelessly and watch the horror unfold in front of their eyes. As the end draws near, she awakens. She is Lightning, humanity's last hope. As the chosen one, Lightning battles her way through the final 13 days in an attempt to save humanity and accomplish her ultimate goal.
  • Snow: A one-time ally of Lightning, Snow was engaged to her sister, Serah. Now he is the world's last remaining l'Cie, cursed with a terrible power. Though devastated by his failure to protect Serah, he has served as the Patron of Yusnaan for five long centuries. He protects the city and its people even as the rest of the world falls apart.
  • Hope: Hope watches over Lightning from his base in the Ark, guiding the savior as she tries to carry out all-mighty Bhunivelze's divine mission. As Lightning's trusted partner, Hope provides key information throughout the quest. Mysteriously, Hope is no longer a grown man, but has instead turned back into the boy that Lightning first met.
  • Lumina: A mysterious girl who appears in front of Lightning at every turn. Her unpredictable nature wreaks havoc everywhere she goes. A helpful friend or mischievous foe? This capricious little demon plays with Lightning and the rest of the world as if they were toys in a toy box.
  • Noel: A young man who formerly journeyed with Serah and Mog. Blaming himself for bringing about the destruction of the world, Noel's guilt makes him hide away from society. He ceaselessly works to maintain public order from the cover of darkness and has come to be known as the "Shadow Hunter".
  • Vanille: For centuries, Vanille and Fang slept within a crystal pillar, holding Cocoon aloft in the sky. But then, a few short years ago, they awoke. As Vanille opened her eyes, she realized she was given a special gift; she could hear the voices of the dead. Dubbed the saint, she spends her days under the Order's protection in Luxerion.
  • Fang: For centuries, Fang and Vanille slept within a crystal pillar, holding Cocoon aloft in the sky. But then, a few short years ago, they awoke. At first, the pair lived under the care of the Order, until Fang set out to the Dead Dunes to search for a long-lost relic. She did not return, becoming instead the leader of the bandit gang Monoculus, and leaving Vanille in Luxerion.

VIDEOS |

E3 2013
Japan Expo 2013
13 Days
Gamescom 2013
TGS 2013
Opening Cinematic
Wildlands
Shop and Customization
Special Effects
The Guided Tour
Evolution of Battle
Retrospective Trailer

REVIEWS |

GameInformer - 7/10
OXM - 7/10
GamesTM - 7/10
Gamekult - 7/10
LEVEL - 6/10

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I SEE THE LIGHT !

Time to end Lightning's story once and for all .

Total cost of the game including all DLC? I'm guessing around $231.87?

Just in time for Valentine's day! Don't know if that's a good or bad thing, LoL!

The_Monk

This will be one that I won't be able to play but I hope the game to have a nice Soundtrack. I always loved those and I liked the ones from XIII-2. Need to check if there's the battle theme on Youtube already available.

Meanwhile at least I'll be able to get the HD Versions (X & X-2) on March 21st. Thanks for making the thread! ;)

koutoru

The one thing that worries me is the "13 day" time limit. From the reviews I read, it really ends up being a hindrance.
Having an RPG on a countdown clock is mind boggling to me.

Gamekult (French) gave it 7/10, praising its challenging difficulty and new combat system but they didn't like how the story was told, "a simple story needlessly complicated by its narration" to paraphrase them.

As for me I really liked the demo, and as I really liked ffx-2 ill buy this too, if only to bring closure to the clusterfuck that was the FFXII2 saga.
I'll buy it once it hits 15€ though

Tizoc

No subtitle? I mean 'Toriyama's Waifu Returns' would've been fine, but whatevs, looking forward to playing it~

Pein

Banned
I'm one of the few who actually liked Lightning and even I'm getting sick of her, oh well lets rest the FFXIII story to rest after this. Will be picking up my copy can't deny that I want the Cloud costume.

Mr. RHC

I SEE THE LIGHT !

Time to end Lightning's story once and for all .

Dat first post, dat first post!

That said, I wish everybody who enjoyed the XIII games a good time with LR, let's walk into the bright (hopefully) future of Final Fantasy together!

Come on, Perfo, Luukyk, Shinta, Toth, give me a hug:

Glee_group_hug_gif.gif

Nibel

I don't look forward to this game and I am not interested in the XIII trilogy at all

But damn, that thread title killed me

Dantis

That thread title is hilarious.

I'll rent this. The combat seemed a little better than the previous two, at least.

So hyped for this. Battle system is right down my street, roll on next week!

If you're collecting review scores for the OP, GamesTM gave it a 7/10 this month.

KeRaSh

I'm actually looking forward to this game a little. Not overly hyped because I usually hate games with time constraints and the fact that it takes multiple playthroughs to platinum pisses me off. I platinumed XIII and XIII-2 but I probably won't bother with LR because of that.
This might be the last game I will play on my PS3...

Fdkn

I hope zavvi keeps the fast delivery rate of the last months, I need this game right now and a little wait is worth paying 25€ less

Arthea

I will buy it whit right price, even if I didn't like demo much, I can see potential in combat system at least.
And I assume that price will plummet pretty soon on this one.

Also the thread title is lol worthy.

'Bizarre adventure' seems pretty accurate. I hope the battle system is fun enough. Planning to get this sooner rather than later.

The goddess has returned, there have been some mixed impressions but I'm still looking forward to the game as despite the budget it seems to do some interesting things.

Roxas

i'm going to play it so that i can believe with my own eyes that this trilogy is over once and for all.

Xanathus

Wasn't there supposed to be a free DLC for Japanese voices for the first week after release? Anyone able to confirm it being there?

krossj

Let us be rid of it!

Will probably get this at some point even though FFXIII-2 was a bit of a cluster fuck game for me. Hope the soundtrack is as good as the previous XIII games at least.

Dinjooh

First FF since I started with the series back in 2001 that I won't buy at release.

The demo did absolutely nothing for me, sadly.

Top Bottom