• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Fixing Xbox One Controller at Request of Respawn for TitanFall

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/12/5...-the-xbox-one-controller-for-less-twitchy-aim

Microsoft will also update the Xbox One controller specifically at the request of Titanfall's development team. According to Titanfall design lead Justin Hendry, an upcoming software patch will make the analog sticks more precise than before.

"It's just fixing the controller input, really," he tells The Verge, adding that the team worked with Microsoft on the solution. "It wasn't really where we felt it should be; it was a little overly twitchy with the current controls. Now it's fixed. We're happy with it."

Respawn Entertainment also says it's working with Microsoft on a new version of the console's upscaler — presumably to convert games rendered at sub-1080p resolutions up to the full HDTV standard — but it was unclear whether that upscaler will only apply to Titanfall or work with all Xbox One games.

Kind of nice to see MS going to lengths to get this stuff right finally...

Dandalf

Neo Member
Seems Microsoft is pulling out all the stops to make sure Titanfall doesn't leave XBox One in the future.

It'll be interesting to see if they can lock this up - it'd be huge for them with the lack of titles across both new consoles right now.

They sound almost like an internal MS studio at this point.

Had no idea the controller had issues. The upscaler problems are known though.

So its just changing the deadzone/calibration of the sticks?

Titan Fall is going to feed EA for some time. First big Xbox One game. I'm curious to see how big it'll be.

MultiCore

If you read carefully, they said it was too twitchy. It seems likely they're actually going to be filtering controller input in response to this request.
/shrug

cakely

So, is this confirmation that Titanfall will be sub-1080p on the Xbox One?

And does this mean that the Titanfall development team thinks that the Xbox 360's sticks are precise enough already?

Lucifon

I'd spoken about this to my buddy, that the aiming doesn't feel quite accurate enough causing my frustration in games like CoD. Battlefield doesn't seem as bad though. Super happy to see this being realised and hopefully sorted. Also glad to know it's not just me!

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
MS bending over backwards for Respawn....

If EA brings the sequel to PS4 (they will) that would be a huge slap in the face for MS....

komplanen

If the really fix the upscaling I might be more interested in buying the console. As it stands now it ruins basically almost every game.

So, is this confirmation that Titanfall will be sub-1080p on the Xbox One?

And does this mean that the Titanfall development team thinks that the Xbox 360's sticks are precise enough already?

Yeah, this is confirmation it won't be 1080p, but we pretty much knew that. I hope it isn't 720p, but I'm guessing that is where it'll be.

Asd202

Yeah, this is confirmation it won't be 1080p, but we pretty much knew that. I hope it isn't 720p, but I'm guessing that is where it'll be.

Some dude said TitanFall runs at 792p. But I don't know if it's true or where did he get the information from.

Adam Blue

Good! That's one problem I had with the XB1 analog sticks, glad the problem has actually been proven and they are going to fix it.

Gustav

Banned
I'd spoken about this to my buddy, that the aiming doesn't feel quite accurate enough causing my frustration in games like CoD. Battlefield doesn't seem as bad though. Super happy to see this being realised and hopefully sorted. Also glad to know it's not just me!

I got bad news for you, bro...

Gorillaz

Patching a controller layout?

They really want TF to take off. Might want respawn down the line as well because I never seen them this reactionary(?) to 3rd party request. Same goes Sony I don't think they have eveer given 3rd party breathing room like this post launch of a console

They are upscaling, but with black crush and and a sharpening filter. It's REALLY annoying.

I hope this new scaler is in the update this week. It would be nice to have it BEFORE the beta.

Curious if it's across the board they remove the filter or just Titanfall

Ryse seems to have gotten around it, KI was pretty bad before but they made a patch that either got around it or disabled it. Was DR3's fixed?

Jonboy

Empty PR.
I tend to agree. Seriously, lol at this. It's just an incredibly fancy way to say "we're tweaking the controller sensitivity." Well...pretty much any shooter from the last decade allows you to tweak the sensitivity. This just seems to be doing it on a system level to make a certain setting the default. They can't physically make the sticks more precise with a patch so it has to be just tweaking the sensitivity.

bluehat9

At first I thought it was going to be about the bumpers and making them 360-like on the titanfall controller (is that what some people were complainign about on xboxone controllers?) And I guess I can just forget about future titanfall games on ps4. If MS is going this far, they will pay whatever it takes to keep TF and EA will take it.

Oh well, at least I don't have to worry about waiting for a titanfall 2 announcement.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Controller update sounds nice but the real news is the improved upscaler. It currently degrades the image quality even more from the lower resolution and makes the problem even worse.

I assume this "controller fix" is going to be a part of one of the upcoming system patches MSFT is pushing for the One? Didn't say explicitly in the article whether this is lumped together with those or part of a further update.

Respawn Entertainment also says it's working with Microsoft on a new version of the console's upscaler — presumably to convert games rendered at sub-1080p resolutions up to the full HDTV standard — but it was unclear whether that upscaler will only apply to Titanfall or work with all Xbox One games.
Oh boy, more fanboy fodder.

Caayn

So why wait till Titanfall to make your controller more accurate? Were the other games that have already been released not good enough?

It's pretty a cool thing though that they can implement software changes in the controller.
Now patch the bumper buttons
Leave them please. They're really, really nice to use.

Top Bottom