• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Fixing Xbox One Controller at Request of Respawn for TitanFall

Respawn Entertainment also says it's working with Microsoft on a new version of the console's upscaler — presumably to convert games rendered at sub-1080p resolutions up to the full HDTV standard — but it was unclear whether that upscaler will only apply to Titanfall or work with all Xbox One games.

So is Titanfall confirmed to NOT run in 1080p? Why else would Respawn work with Microsoft to update the scaler if the game was native 1080p in the first place? I'm sure its not simply because they are buddies or just doing them a favor.

Where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

todd360

Seems Microsoft is pulling out all the stops to make sure Titanfall doesn't leave XBox One in the future.

It'll be interesting to see if they can lock this up - it'd be huge for them with the lack of titles across both new consoles right now.

Imma be so salty if ps4 doesn't get titanfall 2. I mean we ps4ers don't even have kingdom hearts 3 locked up anymore.

Duxxy3

With all these announcements this week it makes me wonder if the xbox one was just better launching in March in the first place. Firmware updates for the system, the controller and headsets. Launching a headset adapter and a new headset.

http://titanfallblog.com/2014/02/12...on-on-xbox-one-may-increase-with-final-build/

Not sure how reliable this site is, but they claim Abbie Heppe says they could get the resolution up to 900p by the final build. That would be awesome.

So 792p in current build confirmed? That's so odd. Also I thought Respawn pretty much had Titanfall ready to go

Changing the resolution this late in the development process seems so odd. Framerate is always always the last thing you finalize. This is so weird

So 792p in current build confirmed? That's so odd. Also I thought Respawn pretty much had Titanfall ready to go

Changing the resolution this late in the development process seems so odd. Framerate is always always the last thing you finalize. This is so weird

Maybe the beta got branched off some time ago.

I was joking guys.
Dell U2711
master race reporting in.

It's odd as in as much as it isn't. 1408*792 checks out as a perfect 16:9 ratio - given they've settled on this resolution for the beta it's highly plausible they're shooting for the traditional "900p" and eeking there bit by bit.

OTOH maybe it's just the highest they could go without the Xbox folding in on itself.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
They're really doing a lot for Titanfall.
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if it's the most perfect launch of all time. That'd be really cool. Shame I won't be able to experience that theoretical perfect launch.

Will this apply to other games as well? i knew there was something off about the aiming on xbox one, going from ps4 to the one it felt really twitchy. Like it's on the same sens but i have to push further on ps4 for the same adjustments in game if that makes any sense.

Maybe the beta got branched off some time ago.

Still that means that one month from launch a developer on one of the biggest games of the year are trying to up the resolution in the final build. It's just surprising considering the little I know of the standard development process which focuses on framerate last not resolution.

It's odd as in as much as it isn't. 1408*792 checks out as a perfect 16:9 ratio - given they've settled on this resolution for the beta it's highly plausible they're shooting for the traditional "900p" and eeking there bit by bit.

OTOH maybe it's just the highest they could go without the Xbox folding in on itself.

They might be trying to get to 900p or a launch day patch that does that as the game has to go gold in 2 weeks or so but I wouldn't be surprised if the 792p was done to try and differentiate it from the X360 version [would be crazy if that was 720p]

Dire

Wait, did I miss something?

You're telling me this game, running on the source engine , isn't running at 1080p?

What resolution is this running at then?

It's a heavily modified source engine, though.

Hahaha, well then perhaps they shouldn't have modified it so much?

More seriously this seems like awesome news. If Microsoft had actually been listening to devs and players prior to the announcement of their initial abomination they'd never have ended up in the situation they're in today. The inferior hardware is always going to be a big problem for them but I think seeing stuff like this is a huge step in the right direction.

gaming_noob

Seems like a lot of money and time spent on correcting issues on the Xbox One. All this could have been avoided had they still had J Allard. Are you listening, Microsoft?

Still that means that one month from launch a developer on one of the biggest games of the year are trying to up the resolution in the final build. It's just surprising considering the little I know of the standard development process which focuses on framerate last not resolution.

Wouldn't be surprised if the X1 version has to download a big patch at launch.

I look forward to the new vids..but There's this feeling in the air that the other foor is going to drop and it will hurt the future of a titanfall 2 period.

This sounds like a made up thing. I hope they reboot the flux capacitor too.
I laughed much more than I should have!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
They sound almost like an internal MS studio at this point.

I actually thought they were for a moment, before remembering they were with EA. Hope they don't make another deal for Titanfall 2, but Microsoft seems to be all over this, and it's worrisome.

rezuth

So why wait till Titanfall to make your controller more accurate? Were the other games that have already been released not good enough?

It's pretty a cool thing though that they can implement software changes in the controller.
Leave them please. They're really, really nice to use.

I doubt they are changing the controllers, probably just changing what the console sees as "deadzone"

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is hilarious. So they are filtering controller input and trying to fix the busted scaler that applies a sharpen filter and that's bending over backwards? That's basic functionality. The scaler on the xbone is broken and needs to be patched ASAP. Has nothing to do with titanfall.

Excellent news. Going from BF4 on the DS4 to the XB1 is a huge difference for me. The precision of the sticks is so much better on DS4 it's crazy it just feels perfect.

Guess this is a admittance the precision wasn't being imagined by any of us.

MS bending over backwards for Respawn....

If EA brings the sequel to PS4 (they will) that would be a huge slap in the face for MS....

Nope. MS is hoping the damage is done. Look at the COD games. Everyone thinks of the 360 when they think of those games, not the PS3.

MS is hoping the xbox one will be the go-to system for future Titanfall games, regardless if it's available elsewhere.

Excellent news. Going from BF4 on the DS4 to the XB1 is a huge difference for me. The precision of the sticks is so much better on DS4 it's crazy it just feels perfect.

Guess this is a admittance the precision wasn't being imagined by any of us.

Weren't they talking about how much testing the controller had gone through before launch?

Surprised it made it past the testing phase...

Nope. MS is hoping the damage is done. Look at the COD games. Everyone thinks of the 360 when they think of those games, not the PS3.

MS is hoping the xbox one will be the go-to system for future Titanfall games, regardless if it's available elsewhere.

COD still sold really well on PS3 at the end of its life. Not 360 numbers by any measure but with early indications that the split is other equal or favorable to PS4 WW I don't see it being a smart play on MS part if they lose

I can hear my Xbox One owning friend at work now "Somehow my games don't look as good now. I think my TV is busted. Its like all my games are softer or more blurry or sumpthin' "

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Reduce the deadzone?

tumblr_mynhrkToGY1s5e6hno1_500.gif

I gotta have less Dead Zone.

watership

MS bending over backwards for Respawn....

If EA brings the sequel to PS4 (they will) that would be a huge slap in the face for MS....

Mass Effect was almost fully funded by MS, and it ended up going multiplat on them. They have to either buy the studio, or suck it up when devs/publishers go for more money with more platforms.

RdN

Mass Effect was almost fully funded by MS, and it ended up going multiplat on them. They have to either buy the studio, or suck it up when devs/publishers go for more money with more platforms.

I've said this a couple times here.. I see Titanfall having the exact same trajectory as Mass Effect.

First one's exclusive, 2 is timed, 3 releases simultaneously.

Weren't they talking about how much testing the controller had gone through before launch?

Surprised it made it past the testing phase...

I know but when you go back between both controllers you really see how different they are. It's just nice to see the validation. I swear people saying they don't notice the stick difference or even prefer it are drinking some strong kool-aid

But Mass Effect was a success for Microsoft. Most of the sales were on the 360. Microsoft would be happy if the same were true with the Titanfall series.

level44

Patching a controller?

Pretty sure that's not going to work unless the update somehow makes the sticks a lot tighter.

Interfectum

It looks to me a Mass Effect situation.

When they went multiplat with ME2, was it released at the same time on both machines ?

I don't think it's a Mass Effect situation. MS is going all in with Titanfall. They aren't going to help build that brand up only to hand the sequel over to competitors. If MS thinks they still need the series to boost Xbox One they will secure another exclusive.

level44

I don't think it's a Mass Effect situation. MS is going all in with Titanfall. They aren't going to help build that brand up only to hand the sequel over to competitors. If MS thinks they still need the series to boost Xbox One they will secure another exclusive.

And you think the money loving EA will bend over for this? There is far too much potential sales and money from PS4 users for EA to be paid off. We'll see TitanFall 2 on PS4 no doubt, if it actually gets a sequel.

leobebes

Banned
I think it's safe to say the if Titanfall does well we won't be seeing this series on PS4 for quite some time.

Microsoft, EA, and Titanfalls' current exclusivity doesn't involve heartfelt feelings and the varying scenarios, in regards to its sequel, don't merit being injected with drama or with emotive-worded conjecture. Business is business. Last time I checked the Xbox One wasn't falling off a precipice and is poised to maintain profitability. Of course anything can change and Sony's headquarters could suddenly be under 10 feet of radioactive water on Sunday, but as it stands today, it's business as usual for EA, Microsoft, Sony, and Respawn.

Microsoft went all in and has done and continues to do everything in it's power to make sure Titanfall is as successful for their brand, their console, and their catalog as they expect it to be. The suits over at Redmond chose wisely by making sure the first Titanfall was exclusive to the Xbox brand, and considering their close relationship with EA (historically/regionally speaking) and the fact that Respawn is an EA partner, not owned outright by EA, the deal for exclusivity wasn't as difficult, painstaking and desperate as some on these boards have insisted.

Now, will the sequel land on Sony's console? I wouldn't be surprised if it did since EA is in the business of making money and having the Xbox One as a launching pad for the start of the franchise wasn't a bad idea if you think about it. You get all the support of exclusivity from a company with unlimited resources in exchange to help spur the initial growth of a new console. When the dust settles come 2015, and both consoles are selling strong, but the PS4 is selling much better worldwide, not only will Titanfall 2 most likely come to the Playstation 4, but Microsoft won't shed a tear because they'll already have a substantial and loyal userbase who experienced Titanfall on their console, and Titanfall would already had helped the Xbox One get that boost it paid for through exclusivity.

So sit back, enjoy what Titanfall hopefully means (growth for the industry through what's expected to be some fun gameplay) and either wait for Titanfall 2 on your PS4, or buy it on PC, or buy that second console because you're itching to play and experience the hype. I think the whole "slap in the face" comments, and the passive-aggressive commenting on a the visuals of a game that still in alpha for the sake of being contrarian are not only transparent, but also grating to read at times--okay, they're entertaining too, which is why I can't stop reading GAF at times...infuriatingly entertaining

Top Bottom