• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Fixing Xbox One Controller at Request of Respawn for TitanFall

Curious if it's across the board they remove the filter or just Titanfall

Ryse seems to have gotten around it, KI was pretty bad before but they made a patch that either got around it or disabled it. Was DR3's fixed?

DR3 still sucks at night, KI kicked up the game but the blacks are still crushed, and Ryse uses it's own scaler so it's outputting 1080p to a single display plane. KI and DR3 use one display plane for a 1080p HUD and another plane for the 720p rendered image I believe.

Somnid

"Beta tested in the future" is becoming more and more of a reality. This console clearly could have used another year in the oven.

Is this what we're going to say everytime feature improvements/fixes happen? I understand if something is broken it shouldn't ship like that, but complaining that this thing that could be better wasn't perfect initially and patches show it's just a beta product all along is silly and overly hyperbolic.

Muzy72

Banned
"Beta tested in the future" is becoming more and more of a reality. This console clearly could have used another year in the oven.

Doesn't that go for any console nowadays, though? Wii U and PS4 have had their fair share of launch problems / missing features as well.

DR3 still sucks at night, KI kicked up the game but the blacks are still crushed, and Ryse uses it's own scaler so it's outputting 1080p to a single display plane. KI and DR3 use one display plane for a 1080p HUD and another plane for the 720p rendered image I believe.

All right I have no idea what's going on with the upscaler then. So it looks like the upscaler applies when it uses multiple display panes? Or just sub-1080p content? Or sub-1080p content with multiple display panes?

Doesn't that go for any console nowadays, though? Wii U and PS4 have had their fair share of launch problems / missing features as well.

But sony and nintendo didn't advertise the fact quite so boldly

XboxOnebetatested.jpg

MavFan619

Banned
MS bending over backwards for Respawn....

If EA brings the sequel to PS4 (they will) that would be a huge slap in the face for MS....
To be fair with PS4 I don't think there would be a need for requests like upscaler fixes. And it wouldn't be a slap in the face it would make financial sense.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
These kinda decisions should've been made a few months before.

Can you imagine the noise chamber that was Microsoft throughout 2013? Everything being pulled in different directions, entertainment execs throwing their weight around.. eventually you have to get *something* finished. Just be glad they want to take care of Respawn and that Respawn cares enough about this sort of thing.

Curufinwe

Some dude said TitanFall runs at 792p. But I don't know if it's true or where did he get the information from.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-watch-titanfall-on-xbox-one-at-60fps

Based on some extended edge-counts from the game's stark tutorial section, our best guess right now is that 1408x792 is pretty close to Respawn's chosen rendering resolution. The overall effect is pretty similar to 720p overall though, and the implementation of an overly sharp filter across the entire image suggests that the Xbox One hardware scaler is used to blow up the image to 1080p. We're not exactly impressed by that and, we suspect, neither was DICE - hence the move on Battlefield 4 from Microsoft's scaler to a bespoke software solution between the preview and final code we played.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Can you imagine the noise chamber that was Microsoft throughout 2013? Everything being pulled in different directions, entertainment execs throwing their weight around.. eventually you have to get *something* finished. Just be glad they want to take care of Respawn and that Respawn cares enough about this sort of thing.

Eh, no. Lack of direction isn't my problem, it's Microsoft's.

All right I have no idea what's going on with the upscaler then. So it looks like the upscaler applies when it uses multiple display panes? Or just sub-1080p content? Or sub-1080p content with multiple display panes?

Crytek pretty much used their own software scaler and output the image at 1080p so the XB1 built-in scaler isn't being used. That's all really.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
They're actually patching the controller drivers, which are software components in the console OS. The controller itself won't change.

How would drivers "make the analog sticks more precise than before"

I never heard of that.

outsida

I'm glad it was pointed out to them. I can never get my sens set properly in BF4 properly. Its either too slow or way too twitchy.

Alx

How would drivers "make the analog sticks more precise than before"

I never heard of that.

The driver translates the raw output of the controller into command values. Depending on the way you translate them, you can add or remove sensitivity. There are many precedents of controllers having a big dead zone on their native console and none on PC, because of different drivers.

Reallink

So if its 'overly twitchy' now, its sounds like the patch is to increase the deadzone, which will make the controller less precise. If thats an accurate assessment, they're actually downgrading the controller. Remember reduced deadzones was one of the big improvements they pointed to for their next-gen controller.

Nymphae

Banned
The driver translates the raw output of the controller into command values. Depending on the way you translate them, you can add or remove sensitivity. There are many precedents of controllers having a big dead zone on their native console and none on PC, because of different drivers.

Hmm, this still seems weird to me. Usually you adjust that stuff game by game yourself, with sensitivity sliders. Odd that Respawn is changing the sensitivity for everything going forward. I mean if it's a good change, then it's a good change.

Regarding the controller, in the adapter thread it was stated that the controller can be updated via manual firmware... Does that open up channels for custom hacks on the controller? Perhaps turbo buttons and the like?

ZeroCDR

Isn't this something they did on the 360 kinda? I remember being able to adjust the sensitivity under Game Defaults. Should be a feature everybody has, some games have stupid deadzones.

Wait, did I miss something?

You're telling me this game, running on the source engine , isn't running at 1080p?

What resolution is this running at then?

Dante316

Seems Microsoft is pulling out all the stops to make sure Titanfall doesn't leave XBox One in the future.

It'll be interesting to see if they can lock this up - it'd be huge for them with the lack of titles across both new consoles right now.

I do not believe Microsoft can get this as a exclusive franchise. It has to do simply with numbers of ps4 units. They want as many people to play it.

Top Bottom