• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 1 coming to iOS in English ($7.99, March 18th)

Majestad

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRdRTSxI5Co

Step away from clear notions of good and evil, right and wrong. There are demons in the world, but whether they are ally or enemy depends on player actions. In Tokyo 199X, a mysterious murder leads to the emergence of demons and an escalating global conflict thanks to the rise of a charismatic rebel leader in possession of a demon army, and external forces that wish to crush such threats with extreme measures. As the protagonist, players have an unusual ability (via computer program) to communicate with and recruit demons to fight for them. As they collect demons, the program will allow you to store, summon, and fuse them to create the right team to negotiate the ever-changing balance of powers, and fight for the kind of world you ultimately wish to live in.

Coming March 2014 for the iOS on the App Store℠.

This is awesome. I'd love to have this with me at all times.

about.png

Came in expecting "for Japan." Leaving pleasantly surprised. Too bad I don't have anything that uses iOS as this is a game I've been hoping to try for myself.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Hope it goes to android. If not, it's time to steal an ipad from one of my family members :p

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Looks like it's a port of the GBA version, damn I would've prefer the PS1 remake with dat smooth scrolling.

Aeana

This is a shock.

This version is based on the GBA version. It isn't exactly fully emulated, but it's pretty faithful to it. The most disappointing thing about it is that the music is OGG files but it's recorded from the GBA version, they could have done it with the PSX version's music. Either way, it's much better than the SNES version, and this will become the version of SMT1 I recommend to English speakers in the future.

UPDATE: Apparently the game was updated to have the PSX version's music instead!

randomkid

Holy shit, I was wondering why this had disappeared from the iOS store in NA.

I just played the PSX version through PSN+ so I will miss smooth scrolling but I assume this has all the GBA hidden memories content or whatever right?

This better work on my original Ipad Mini!

Goli

Par for the course as far as some iOS ports are concerned. Unfortunate but not a surprise.

Those things were more acceptable before but not anymore IMO, ports lately are way better. I'm still happy this is coming out but generally these ports don't play as well as they could if they and redone the interfaces for touch screens, instead it'll play like Sega's ports of Shining Force or Phantasy Star II for iOS.

Aeana

Wish it was the PS1 version instead but I'll take it.
The GBA version is actually what I would call the definitive version of the game. The music isn't as nice, and it doesn't have smooth scrolling in dungeons, but it has other extras that are great, including the vision quests.

Also I would point out that the controls aren't that bad due to the kind of game this is. It's not like it's a top-down grid-based RPG with a virtual dpad. Since it's first-person, you just have to tap directions to move and it actually works out fine. For the record, I played and beat this version in Japanese.

BlackJace

The GBA version is actually what I would call the definitive version of the game. The music isn't as nice, and it doesn't have smooth scrolling in dungeons, but it has other extras that are great, including the vision quests.

Also I would point out that the controls aren't that bad due to the kind of game this is. It's not like it's a top-down grid-based RPG with a virtual dpad. Since it's first-person, you just have to tap directions to move and it actually works out fine. For the record, I played and beat this version in Japanese.

So like, how much worse is the music? Is it like Persona 1 -> Persona 1 PSP?

Isn't the UI also based on the SFC version? Or was that updated to match the PS1 version? But yeah, I wanted the PS1 version particularly because of the smooth scrolling as it's much nicer. I don't mind the music since I think the sound direction is actually cool for the GBA hardware, as in it's still not as nice, but that 'fuzzy' sound of the GBA is actually really cool based on what I've heard.

EDIT: oh yeah, it's based on the PS1 version. Cool.

Tizoc

Thanks for the info, if this would be THE recommended ver. of the game I'll def. get it.
...if it actually gets released in EU region >_>;

Aeana

So like, how much worse is the music? Is it like Persona 1 -> Persona 1 PSP?
That's not a valid comparison. Persona PSP had completely rearranged music. The GBA version's music is just GBA quality, but otherwise faithful to the original.

UPDATE: Apparently the music in this version has been updated to use the PSX version's instead, so this is moot.

Aeana

Isn't the UI also based on the SFC version? Or was that updated to match the PS1 version? But yeah, I wanted the PS1 version particularly because of the smooth scrolling as it's much nicer. I don't mind the music since I think the sound direction is actually cool for the GBA hardware, as in it's still not as nice, but that 'fuzzy' sound of the GBA is actually really cool based on what I've heard.
No, the UI is based on the PSX version. It has all of the conveniences that the PSX version has.

I'm happy that were getting it finally released in English here after how long.it's been never released over here, kinda wish it was a better version that didn't have the GBA soundtrack. But I can still enjoy it, though my question is it only on the iphone or can I play it on the ipad too.

Top Bottom