• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 1 coming to iOS in English ($7.99, March 18th)

totowhoa

Banned
Amazing news - I once played about ~2 hours of a rom hack of SMT 2 in English, but never stuck with it for no reason in particular. Even if it's on the iPhone, I'm excited to finally get to sink some time into the first SMT game. I'd imagine the on screen controls are much more forgiving when I think back to how SMT 2 felt.

Finally started a NG+ run of SMT IV a few weeks ago, and I should have that wrapped up by the time this releases. Perfect timing :D

Knurek

I hesitate to contradict you, because you definitely know your onions, but my understanding (and I just double-checked) is that the iOS version's music is indeed recorded from the PSX game's.

Hi Nich, could you pass on to your ATLUS/SEGA overlords that PC gamers would probably buy this game in droves (like they did with the recently released Might & Magic X) if it'd be released on Steam?

Soulhouf

I would buy it to support Atlus if it was on consoles.
I already have SFC, PS1, GBA and even the PSN version. So no, I won't support something I don't like and would probably never play.

totowhoa

Banned
Hopefully we get SMT2 and ...if too.

If reception is positive, I wouldn't be surprised. And hopefully on more platforms too. Seems like these re-releases have been working out well for Atlus. I'd love to finally have access to those games in NA as well!

randomkid

Guys I normally think RPGs control like butt on mobile (people always go MENU-BASED IS PERFECT but forget about the whole wandering around/exploration part) but in this particular case there's not going to be an issue. It's all rigid lines and corridors. With the music issue addressed I'm officially excited.

I knew getting an iPad deal for Xmas would pay off. I've had an Android phone for a while but this will be the first mobile game I actually spend money on, it's gonna be worth it, Shin Megami Tensei 1 is an absolute classic.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'd rather have it on something not iOS, but it's an officially translated version of SMT. Damn you Atlus, for making me play an iOS game.

system1.png

Does this mean the demonic compendium as we know it from the other Megatens, where you can resummon demons you already got or fused, is in this version?

SJS

EXCELLENT. Atlus needs to release as much core SMT as possible into the west. There IS a market, they just haven't reached out to it.

Well, I'd never have expected SMT1 to be the most likely SMT to be available this year in Europe.

I'll get it. Cool beans about the PSX OST.

R.I.P

Awesome stuff. Tried out the translated Snes version a while back,enjoyed it, but didn't get very far. Will definitely get this version.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
This is a shock.

This version is based on the GBA version. It isn't exactly fully emulated, but it's pretty faithful to it. The most disappointing thing about it is that the music is OGG files but it's recorded from the GBA version, they could have done it with the PSX version's music. Either way, it's much better than the SNES version, and this will become the version of SMT1 I recommend to English speakers in the future.

UPDATE: Apparently the game was updated to have the PSX version's music instead!

Amazing! I can't wait!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Hi Nich, could you pass on to your ATLUS/SEGA overlords that PC gamers would probably buy this game in droves (like they did with the recently released Might & Magic X) if it'd be released on Steam?

I'll buy it on everything that I own.

I'm just hoping that this means a localization of SMT II and if... are in the works.

RSLAEV

Noice, even though I don't have an iPad/iPhone. Hopefully this will lead to even more SMT localization.

Top Bottom