• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 1 coming to iOS in English ($7.99, March 18th)

randomkid

VewVh3W.png

NichM is really too good for us. I look forward to the inevitable SMT2 mobile Mara shot.

Goli

I really wish people would stop assuming all iOS games have IAP, many don't, specially games like these. And when games like these do get IAP it's usually something not unlike whatever you'd find as DLC in other online services.

FSLink

Banned
iOS? Augh, hopefully it works on older devices, otherwise I'll have to upgrade. :p

Android port would be preferred of course. But yeah, this is exciting news, I love this game.

Eusis

I played through it on an iPad 2. I don't know how the iPhone 4 compares, but it seems like it should be fine.
I think it may be fine since I think the iPad 2's roughly one generation ahead, though I can't be too sure with some of those apps out there. Well, failing that hopefully they get an Android port out sooner than later now that I know it exists in Japan.
Amazing news. Is the translation brand new, or based off of AG's?

Also: what's the cheapest entry point for an iOS device?
iPod Touches, but they generally go obsolete pretty fast so I'd consider an iPad Mini, $400 for the cheapest Retina model and has the same hardware as the new iPhone 5s.
I really wish people would stop assuming all iOS games have IAP, many don't, specially games like these. And when games like these do get IAP it's usually something not unlike whatever you'd find as DLC in other online services.
A good litmus test is the price tag. If it actually HAS one then it may be free from them, and the higher it is the less likely it's there, or if it is it's hopefully relatively benign. And given the Japanese release lacked it, yeah, not worried really.

cj_iwakura

iPod Touches, but they generally go obsolete pretty fast so I'd consider an iPad Mini, $400 for the cheapest Retina model and has the same hardware as the new iPhone 5s.

Blech. Touch it is. Also, yeah, Atlus confirmed this is a new translation.

http://atlus.com/smti

Still can't believe this is happening. Shocker of the year, more than the Persona stuff coming out here(which was a foregone conclusion).

Eusis

Blech. Touch it is. Also, yeah, Atlus confirmed this is a new translation.

http://atlus.com/smti

Still can't believe this is happening. Shocker of the year, more than the Persona stuff coming out here(which was a foregone conclusion).
Used models are something to keep in mind too, but you'd need to check the specs on those. In general though I think the current iPod Touch is roughly equal to a iPhone 4S.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Indeed, it will be pretty cool if this does well enough and we get localizations for II and if. I know many dislike the fact that this is on iOS but I hope it also means more mobile ports of Atlus RPGs in the future.

iT7NzTLbZXziw.png

There's now hope that the above will become a lie. :lol

hoggert

How the hell did I miss this? Amazing. I have no desire to play through SMT1 again (fuck the Cathedral,) but will buy regardless!

Yeah, that's another reason to support this. SMT1 Classic does well, paves the way for II and If, and maybe even ports to other more viable platforms.

Not that SMT1 isn't my absolute favorite of the old games, but I still want everyone to see the rest too.

Did the GBA/PS1 remake cut down the endless random battles?

I am not sure, it has added vision story scenes, a demonic compendium, I also heard this one is just easier. THE PS1 version had normal and easy, this version has no difficulty select, like the gba one. I know there are other additions, but I am not sure what they are. There is a music test thing.

Randomly found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wup6TvQIQ0

Charlie pls

randomkid

This is something I've been kinda wondering about, when the game was first announced, it looked like this:

UuwzCRS.jpg

So when did they switch the interface to something less comical, was it in a later update?

Aeana

This is something I've been kinda wondering about, when the game was first announced, it looked like this:

http://i.imgur.com/UuwzCRS.jpg[IMG]

So when did they switch the interface to something less comical, was it in a later update?[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean. That interface is still there, as shown in the OP. It just also has a horizontal mode that puts the controls overlaid on the screen.

If only this was on a platform I could play it on.

Also, is this going to be globally available? I seem to recall Puzzle & Dragons being restricted to the North American app store.

neoemonk

I have a weird relationship with SMT as a whole. My first game was Persona 3. After that I went and played Persona and P2 IS and EP. All PlayStation versions with English patches of needed.

From there I played patched versions of SMT 1 and 2 on SNES and finally P4G on Vita. Started Nocturne and SMT IV but never got very far into them. For some reason they didn't grab me like the older games.

I am not sure, it has added vision story scenes, a demonic compendium, I also heard this one is just easier. THE PS1 version had normal and easy, this version has no difficulty select, like the gba one. I know there are other additions, but I am not sure what they are. There is a music test thing.

Randomly found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wup6TvQIQ0

Charlie pls

"We don't want another Persona 2: Eternal Punishment Portable scenario."

Welp.

rjc571

Banned
Not port begging, but wouldn't it make sense to put this on 3DS? Considering that's where the latest entry in the series was released? (And was apparently pretty successful on.) You'd think it would be easier to sell the game on a platform that already has an established fanbase for the series.

Terra_Ex

Will buy if it comes to Android or PC, don't have any iOS devices. It's great to some Atlus titles getting ports regardless.

fertygo

Not port begging, but wouldn't it make sense to put this on 3DS? Considering that's where the latest entry in the series was released? (And was apparently pretty successful on.) You'd think it would be easier to sell the game on a platform that already has an established fanbase for the series.

LOL don't being unreasonable now, they only translating version that already exist.

wrowa

This has been released in Japan quite a while ago with no signs that it might get a release on the 3DS, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Maybe Atlus will release SMTI as part of the GBA virtual console on Wii U, though. In that case it's not completely unlikely that they'd add the English translation for an English release.

But, once again, I wouldn't hold my breath.

A lot of people clamoring for an Android version. I wonder why they are developing only for ios devices. In the US Android is a much bigger platform. Makes no sense to me.

Tobor

I've always wanted to play this, I have an iPhone 5, I'm not deathly allergic to mobile gaming, and $7.99 is a good price for a true classic.

Thank you, Atlus!

wrowa

A lot of people clamoring for an Android version. I wonder why they are developing only for ios devices. In the US Android is a much bigger platform. Makes no sense to me.

Because they are localizing a title that has been released in Japan two years ago.

I vaguely remember Nich saying in an old Retronauts episode that Atlus USA really wanted to make localizations of the SMT games on Wii's VC happen, but they just couldn't get the numbers working. So, I'd assume that it wasn't exactly the easiest task in the world to get the approval for this particular project -- even in its current state without an additional Android version needing to be developed.

Who knows, if it sells well on iOS, maybe they see a chance to make an Android version happen. But as it stands we should be happy that this is happening at all.

Vyer

Not necessarily in the US, though I don't put too much stick in market share estimates anywhere when it comes to mobile. Regardless, I don't know why we still see this Android port begging. It should be clear by now that iOS is going to be generally favored when it comes to mobile gaming releases.

I'm gonna point you towards this video by RasenReviews that he just uploaded talking about this. He's a fan of the SMT series as a whole, but even he points out a lot of issues as to why a port to 3DS is not possible.

To give you an idea of what he said in the video: ATLUS USA is a publisher, not a developer, so that would mean that ATLUS Japan would have to do a completely develop a new port of the game for the 3DS or even just putting this version on the Eshop would require decent amount of work. And looking at what ATLUS has now coming up, they have Devil Survivor 2: Break Record, Persona Q: Shadows of Labyrinth, Persona 4 Ultimax: Ultra Suplex Hold, Persona 4: Dancing All Night, and Persona 5. Yes some of these are not being completely being developed by ATLUS completely, like P4D and P4U But even that is still a lot of game in development, especially for ATLUS, who is a small company, and would have to spend time and effort on resources that could go towards their other projects. And considering that this is a very old game, with outdated mechanics, even more so than Persona 1 and 2 or the PS1 Devil Summoner games.
And even then this would cost a decent amount of money to develop a new version of the iOS port or even doing a remake for the 3DS, since they would need do more than a cut and paste port of it, and would require a decent amount of time spent on programming of the game on the new system to make it work competently on another platform since it's a completely different animal compared to the iOS, this game is too much of a risk to make it available on other platforms, unless ATLUS JP decides to make a remake, were gonna have to live with what we have right here now in front of us.

Aeana

Because they are localizing a title that has been released in Japan two years ago.

I vaguely remember Nich saying in an old Retronauts episode that Atlus USA really wanted to make localizations of the SMT games on Wii's VC happen, but they just couldn't get the numbers working. So, I'd assume that it wasn't exactly the easiest task in the world to get the approval for this particular project -- even in its current state without an additional Android version needing to be developed.

Who knows, if it sells well on iOS, maybe they see a chance to make an Android version happen. But as it stands we should be happy that this is happening at all.
For the record, this is already available for Android in Japanese.

AggroWill

Neo Member
$8. Hey, Square-Enix. Squeenix, can you hear me? You see that? $8 price for a decades-old JRPG? That price is known as "high, but reasonable." It's a classic game, the first in a popular series and one that has never been released here. That's worth $8.

You should think about that while you take your $16 Final Fantasy 3 and GO FUCK YOURSELF.

I'm super hyped for this.

randomkid

me too~

Still anxious about how the game's going to be received but can't wait, it'll be the first time I've ever spent money in iOS.

randomkid

Yo dudes I just realized that we need one of those OFFICIAL THREADS for this, I know maybe only ten people will care but I'm still convinced that there's a new audience of 90's PC RPG fans and OCD-ish completionists to merit one for a bit more exposure.

Anyone wanna start one? I'm too disorganized to do it myself but I could help with rehosted images or youtube links or whatever.

Yo dudes I just realized that we need one of those OFFICIAL THREADS for this, I know maybe only ten people will care but I'm still convinced that there's a new audience of 90's PC RPG fans and OCD-ish completionists to merit one for a bit more exposure.

Anyone wanna start one? I'm too disorganized to do it myself but I could help with rehosted images or youtube links or whatever.

I'm certainly in support of this existing, but I don't have the wherewithal to make one.

cj_iwakura

I can't make one, but if you're willing to keep it updated I can happily contribute. I love SMT1.

Bladenic

I had forgotten when this came out and searched "shin megami tensei" on the App Store. Both 2 and if are on there? So weird that JP only games were made available. The funniest part is the blurb "...with no English translation now or ever."

Anyway I'm definitely buying this game day 1.

randomkid

I mean if others wanna contribute the text and proper info and stuff I'm happy to post with proper crediting, I just know OTs on this site are very srs bzns and my thread would just be like ADVENTURES IN POST APOCALYPTIC MURDERING WITH YOUR TRUSTY DOG and random Sega CD era concept art and soundtrack samples instead of actually useful feature lists.

Top Bottom